Started on June 24 and....

WholeAlaska

Amazing....

Am I like the Whole30 lottery winner? I am day 4 now and so far none of the bad things I thought I anticipated feeling have happened. I did Atkins way back when and that did, in fact, kick the crap outta me the first week but this, by comparison, has not only been a breeze but I'm not sure I'm going to want to stop at 30. I know, I can adjust to a standard Paleo pursuit, but I literally don't know why I would. This has SO much food variety, I don't have to fear fat, and I actually get some carbs from delicious fresh fruit. My biggest sacrifice so far has been giving up Stevia in my coffee and learning to drink it black.

I have stareted this while simultaneously doing P90X and I feel great! No hangover, no hating on folks, no tiredness (in fact I woke up at 4:30 this morning raring to go do X).

I don't want this to seem like a downer to those struggling with the symptoms of the early game, but I do want to encourage those that might be on the fence that while it is likely you will have some symptoms, it isn't a guarantee, particurally if you were eating somewhat clean to begin with like I was.

Long story short, I feel fantastic so far, love the meals, have mass energy, and while I cannot prove it due to the "no scale" rule, I am already dropping weight. I can clearly see it in my face and in particular my midsection. Yeah, I know, it is most likely water weight, but having been plateau'd for so long I will by gosh take it!

Time to go "Bring It' in my X workout!

Some people are just lucky duckies like you. Which is why I think there should be a new Whole30 rule: If you're not feeling terrible the first week of a Whole30, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG -- and you need to hit your hand with a mallet to compensate. Otherwise, it'sjustnotfair!

:P

It could be environmental.  Like you, I don't have symptoms.  It appears you don't live in a city, I'm fortunate to live where the drinking water is rated in the top 3 of the U.S. Air quality...no smog or vehicles.   No need to tell me where you live, let's keep it a "secret".  I think we have to factor these things in.    No commuting with the cars stacked up and down the highways...breathing all of that in every day.

I call it the Charlie Sheen high without pharma.  I only have 3 more days to go, but I'm traveling on.   I haven't suffered but I don't have food allergies.   My indulgence was 1 1/2 cups of cream aday with a pot of coffee.  I've let that go.  It was a habit that had some real drawbacks.

Quick update...

One thing I can say for certain, the pain relief aspect of this is pretty amazing. Prior to this after a P90X workout I would be a sore puppy, knees and all not being what they once were. Especially days like Plyometrics, where there is a lot of higher impact jumping. But now? Holy cow, its like I didn't even do the workout. It really is like night and day in terms of recovery. On top of that, physically it feels pretty amazing in general. It's almost like being an engine getting exposed to high octane fuel for the first time. It is WAY to early to commit to this as things can change, but I might just try and do all 90 days of X and pulling a Whole90 at the same time.. Hey! New challenge routine, PaleoX LOL

PS BTW, my breakfast today of a skillet consisting of sweet potato, green pepper, mushrooms, and onions along with organic spicy ground beef and a little bacon, with some eggs on top was, well the best %^*( breakfast I have had in a very long time. I had to take a pic and send to my friend (also doing Whole30) with the description of "I dunno man, this diet is so HARD" LOL

Another update.. Think I woke up post bloating phase.. which is really nice, hope that is behind me now as it feels so weird to physically feel so great and then my body feels like it is getting bigger in the wrong direction. Again, I am amazed at the benefits even 1 week in. My energy levels are incredible, and consistent throughout the day. Post workout aches hardly manifest at all. I could go on and on but at the sake of having a placebo moment on some of them this one is definitely not.

Many years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am on, and have been on many years, 3 medications to control it. Even with that, a morning blood pressure check would yield, in a best case scenario, pre-hypertension. After one week of Whole30 I do my morning BP check and HOLY COW.. 117/78!!! I am like, totally normal (at least as far as blood pressure goes) for the very first time since before I can even remember... I get how foods can make you healthy, but I am so amazed to see that it isn't hype, eating the right foods can actually HEAL you... Awesome stuff.. Well off to the home gym for P90X....

PS: I have reconsidered my coined phrase for doing P90X and Whole30 combined, might even have to make myself a fun motivational workout tee shirt.. I now am going to refer to it as "Whole90X", doing a full cycle of P90X and Whole30 for the 90 days.. Bring it!!

• 2 weeks later...

checking in, maybe the last time for a while.. In the last week of Whole30, no issues at all, great results, and pushing right on through to the next 30 days, zero doubt that I will be able to pull off 90 days straight while at the same time doing P90X. I anticipate pretty amazing results by the end, might even do a before/after based on how this is going so far...

Oh yeah, chronic high blood pressure.. Gone.. Anticipate being taken off some meds next week!

Well, I would be remiss if I didn't do my official end of 1st 30 days check in... Today would be that day, with some trepidation I stepped on the scale. I knew things were changing, I could clearly see it in the mirror, but having been someone who weighed every 2-3 days, taking my scales from me was not unlike taking a binky away from a baby. Nonetheless, I pumped my courage up by telling myself whatever the reading, its irrelevant, scales are as big a liars as most politicians. I know my body composition has changed for the better, that the number my scale was going to tell me was just that, a number. So I got on the scale, and I am happy to report, that I am down 16 pounds! Woot!!!!!

Now, on to my next 30 days! Don't worry, I don't expect anywhere near those results month 2, just motivated to keep going. Weight loss aside, the way I feel not just physically, but emotionally as well (I swear this eating lifestyle is almost like an anti-depressant) is enough, the weight loss is just an epic bonus  :D 

Archived