Having just polished off an entire jar of gelato, I can no longer pretend that I'll "get over" my sugar addiction. I started Whole30 on June 9, but one cave after seven days made me feel so ashamed and embarrassed that I slid back into old habits.

I'm starting again tomorrow because (1) there's no time like the present, and (2) I like the symbolism of July 4, since I'm hoping to get my own form of independence from the refined-food monster. I'm planning to post my food here every evening as a commitment device, especially if I fall off the wagon. When I fell off the wagon last month, I wasn't accountable to anyone and I was ashamed to admit to anyone that I'd failed - so I didn't even try to get back on. I don't want that to happen again. 

If anyone here has a history of compulsive or emotional eating (well, disordered eating of any form, since I dealt with anorexia years ago, and even if the symptoms are different, they come from the same wellspring), leave me a message. I'd love to share ideas about how to be present, how to avoid judging oneself for "slips," how to make it 30 days without turning to food for comfort. 

I think a lot of us know what emotional eating is... Us women is particular, have not met a chick that was not turning to food at least once a month. Thank God this is now over. There is a life after beating the sugar dragon, and quite frankly when I hear ice cream, whatever... No shame no gain dear. Keep on starting as many times as you need. I remember my reaction when I first heard about ISWF, how we are so "controlled" by it for whatever reasons. I thought blablabla... Oh boy... I woke up to the reality of things, and beating this sugar dragon is like beating an addiction... Get all that stuff out of your place, so there is no temptation around. Good luck, and remember, it's ok to start over, as long as you do!

Archived