Higs' Re-Intro

higs

Day 1 of reintro: I'm doing non gluten grains. There was supposed to be a fish taco in it for me that I had been looking forward to all week. Instead our dining plans were thwarted and I found myself dragged to a Swedish meatball place. At least the lamb was compliant (no bun, no cheese).

I can have a fish taco some other time.

M1: hamburger, roasted root veggies and grilled corn

M2: romaine, chicken, balsamic vinegar, beets, carrots and radishes. Strawberries and watermelon. Spanish rice.

M3: lamb burger, lettuce, beets. Grilled corn.

What?! No fish taco for Higs? This is unacceptable. Hope the corn and rice sat ok with you dear. You really earned that fish taco though. I'm sending you a mental fish taco of such superlative beauty and taste that nothing can or will interrupt your enjoyment.

R

Yay, I welcome you on my reintro ride, MeadowLily!

Day 2: no effects so far from yesterday's corn and rice. My pants feel like they're going to fall off though. Where's my belt?

Day 3:  not a re-intro, but an intro:  I roasted rutabagas for the first time and I'm eating them for breakfast with a chicken thigh.  Hey, they're not bad.  Thumbs up for new starchy veggies.  I love me some starchy veggies.

Day 4 of reintro: a W30 day. I haven't noticed any issues since having trying non-gluten grains three days ago. Today I went on an 8 mile hike and felt amazing and strong. Tomorrow: legumes.

Day 5 of re-intro:  legumes

M1: peanut butter on celery (a late breakfast)

M2: salad with black eyed peas, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, avocado

snack: tortilla chips with hummus

M3: marlin w/ blueberry balsamic reduction, pureed cauliflower, grilled summer squash

Mid afternoon today I started feeling achey, mostly in my back and shoulders, but a bit in my legs too.  I'm not sure if I was sore from yesterday's hike, from bending over in the garden this morning, or did something in the beans make me stiff and my back ache?  I was expecting gastro issues if anything, but not aches.  So far, no gastro issues though.

Higs, your meals always sound glorious. Marlin with blueberry balsamic reduction? Please get a cooking show, Deb can produce it and Dave can do all the behind scenes work because, well, he can do everything, can't he?Your hike sounds lovely, could be that's why you're stiff, but you'll know more tomorrow if you still feel it. It is weird how problems with certain foods manifest though, I am learning that sugar makes me evil. Pure evil. That's sad, but life is too full of lovely to get bogged down about a reduction in the consumption of honey.So it goes. A happy day to you my dear.

R

Rose, I can't take credit for the blueberry balsamic reduction:  my partner contributed it to the meal!  He should be a saucier, it was delicious.  I had picked about a pound of blueberries from the garden and he decided to invent the sauce.  The marlin was on sale at Whole Foods -- couldn't pass it up.  But, a cooking show would be fun -- Deb would make it fun.

I haven't ventured back into sugar yet.  I'm feeling too good without it.

How does evil manifest in you, dear Rose?

Happy day to you, too!

Blueberry Balsamic Reduction.   Do you add honey to that or only the 2 ingredients...sounds very good.  It would go well over rainbow trout, I think.

Your Day 5 was deluxe.

Do you ever look at this....http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nn00451935#summary     (today).

Day 6 (yesterday), also deluxe!  Tasty leftover express:

M1: lamb burger, roasted sweet potatoes, pureed cauliflower

M2: salad w/ chicken, balsamic vinegar, carrots, beets, radishes

M3: leftover marlin w/ leftover blueberry balsamic reduction, more pureed cauliflower, grilled summer squash, watermelon

It was a non-cooking (only reheating), non reintro day.

MeadowLily, I think the reduction was only blueberries and balsamic, plus a squeeze of lime and a little pat of ghee.  It was quite tart but I love tart.  Honey would be an excellent addition but I'm still keeping all sugars out for the time being.  It would be AMAZING on trout.

Those earthquake links are incredible!

Evil manifests with great tides of sarcastic commentary that shuts down other people, and this is not very nice. I'm with you, gotta give the white stuff a miss for another while. I can't trust myself with it. Loving the log there higsy belle. Everything sounds delicious, and your fella  has quite the keen palate. 

Day 7. Dancing around the kitchen to The Clash while I throw all the leftovers into a stew-curry-mashup. Chicken-chard-onion-lime-coconut milk stew. All reintros so far have gone great, no effects. I think you're right, Rose. My aches a couple days ago weren't from legumes but probably just over exertion.

Tomorrow: gluten!

Day 8:  Day of the demise of the goat.  I almost put off a reintro today, but decided to carry on.  Gluten day.

So:

M1: lamb burger, cauliflower puree, sweet potato

M2: chicken chard curry with 1 slice of Dave's Killer Power Seed bread (toasted with ghee)

M3: one icy cold beer, a Widmer Upheaval IPA, pork sausage on a white hamburger bun, watermelon.

I think this is about the worst day of eating I've had since I started the W30.  Where are the vegetables?  I felt like I had completely derailed (but actually it wasn't that bad).  The beer was tasty, but I didn't like the buzz I got almost immediately, and I could tell it started making my judgment lax right away.

No ill effects yet but I miss the lean feeling of a veggie-laden day.

Hey good lookin',

Props to you for carrying on regardless. Your meals always sound so beautiful and well thought out to me, but then the gluten gets in the way and I can see how it would make you miss veggies. This is why I left gluten til last, when I did non-gluten grains I felt really heavy all day long. I would rather fill my plate with something green now. Maybe the value of a reintro on these foods is to render them null and void for us. You don't need it and you don't enjoy it, so why bother with it? I'm personally done with grains of any kind unless I am out and there is no other option. Even then, I'll probably pick around the stuff. Except corn on the cob, I still have love for corn on the cob.

Much love to you today,

R

Reflections post gluten, Day 9:

1. Itchy cooch is back

2. Morning emissions are back (what we affectionately call in my household "Greeting the Day with a Breath of Fire")

3. Low grade headache this morning. From one beer? Or the heat yesterday?  I might be a little dehydrated.

4. Wheat is a bully and shoves all the good stuff off the plate.  

So, I'm thinking gluten is getting kicked to the curb.

Rose, Meadow, Laurie, I love it that you all are joining me on my reintro thread.  Rose, I agree - I was pretty happy to have some grilled corn the other day.  The other stuff, I don't really miss it either.

Onwards, pirates!

Re-intros gone somewhat awry (what day # is it?):  a slight derailment due to well, much too much fun being had on a long weekend away with old old friends.

The good: I stayed with my folks for the weekend.  My dad, a very good cook, has been very intrigued with Paleo eating since I've been doing the W30.  He has colitis and is looking for non-pharmaceutical management.  He cooked really good, compliant, tasty meals for me all weekend.

The bad: sugar encroacheth.  I had a kombucha with a friend = cane sugar.  I had a Kind bar on a long hike = more sugar (good god that Kind bar was so overly sweet, I could barely eat it but I needed the food and it was all I had).  Then, I had a glass of wine when I arrived home to see my sweetie after three days away.

The ugly: I had a beer one night and a piece of toast for dinner when I got home late and tired and didn't want to cook.  Gluten!  Evil!

My dairy reintros got postponed, so I'm going to clean up for a couple more days and then try dairy.

Then, renewed focus as I gear up for W30 #2 in August.  Onward!

Laurie, I'm not planning to start until late Aug (probably the random-ish start date of aug 21 or 22) because I have a window of time between a couple trips where I know compliant eating will not be a possibility. Want to join me or are you starting earlier? If so, I may jump in late to an already existing group.

Laurie, I'm not planning to start until late Aug (probably the random-ish start date of aug 21 or 22) because I have a window of time between a couple trips where I know compliant eating will not be a possibility. Want to join me or are you starting earlier? If so, I may jump in late to an already existing group.

Dogs and goats are like little children and so smart.

It would be nice if a few of us old timers were in it together for a second round, I suspect it will be harder than the first one was and we can all do with reminding that we have got through it before. Probably there will be a few from the dirty 30 who want to get on the bus, maybe we can just continue using the threads we already have. Or we can start a new one...rambling rose this morning.

Let's start a new 30 together then. Hip hip! I also think the next one will be harder mentally at least. Meadow how many days are you on now - are you counting? So -- Aug 21? Is there anything auspicious about that date? Otherwise we can be Dirty 30 the Sequel. Funny autocorrect just called it "deity 30," which I suppose it could be too.

Archived