July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

Glad to make it to the end of Day 5! Woohoo! Day 4 was really rough...I had been sick overnight (gut ache) and then had to face a 10-hr workday. But I made it through! Today was a bit rough too, but my stomach is feeling a bit better. And I slept through the night. I have to admit feeling more than a little cranky about giving up so many foods! Tonight I feel good about making it through another day! I'm looking forward to getting through Week 1!

Oh, and who knew how easy it is to shred sweet potatoes with the Cuisanart?!? Hashbrowns tomorrow!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went on an unplanned lunch out -- stayed compliant but the lunch did not include any fat.  Breezed over dinner -- ate some compliant left overs.  Now i'm having blackberries in some coconut milk as a snack.  I sure am hungry and I really suspect it was the lack of fat at lunch.  :-(  good thing its about bed time!

Day 5:  tough one, because of my schedule.  First breakfast on the run - thank goodness I had stuff prepped.  At a half-day conference - they served us lunch prepared by the students at the *culinary academy*, and I could not eat it!! So I get the vegetarian tray (because I wasn't sure what the meat in the sandwiches were like).  All I could eat were the grilled veggies on the sandwich.  I had fruit with me which was good, and lots of water.  But it was hard not eating the cookies or picking up a Pepsi.  Then my parents decided to drive up to take me out to dinner.  At Applebees, the only thing I cold see I could eat was the strawberry avocado salad with grilled chicken.  However, I was not prepared with salad dressing, and could only use juice from some lemon wedges since I didn't know what kind of oil was in their dressing.  Its so dangerous out there!!  So much safer at home.  lol So that was my first experience eating out.  On Monday, my grade-level team (teaching) are all meeting to do planning at Del Taco.  I doubt I can eat anything there.  So I guess I will have to pack stuff.  sigh.  And I really want lemonade.  Its hot out and that is my fave summer drink.  Oh well.  But I stayed strong and feel better for it! :)

Its Day 6 for me. My other half and I realised far too late that we'd forgotten to get meat for breakfast so I just doubled my egg intake! It kinda worked,though I loved my sausages for lunch. Especially after a workout this morning! (Which I was happy with - the instructor had us do double the usual pushups and I kinda loved it!).

I agree with leaving out white potatoes for my whole30 - I've had them 2 or 3 times since my first one in roasts, covered in butter or coconut oil. But I don't do it very frequently because I know my limits (mostly psychological!). But power to you if you can make it work!

Thankyou to the ladies who read my guest post on the W30 blog! I really love sharing this message (and am doing so at a conference in a few weeks! http://primalliving.com.au/changing-the-way-we-eat-health-and-wellness-conference-2/).%C2'>

If anyone is struggling with cold drinks that aren't soda for summer, my go to is iced tea. Its really easy to do yourself. My go to is rooibos, which with a bit of research you should be able to find compliant options for, because its packed with minerals and is an excellent rehydrator. I ice up a flask and take it with me to the gym in summer. Iced green rooibos will get you some odd looks though - its a light green/yellow colour, like an ill person's urine. But you folks are used to weird looks from people by now, right? :) Wanna make it fizzy? Go half and half with carbonated plain water (something like a Soda Stream will do this at home, really easy).

It's funny- the first Friday must be when we all venture out to eat. :)  Friday nights are our "go out to eat" night, there's a Mexican place near us that's one of our usual spots. My usual grilled fish tacos were off the menu, but I found one of their bowls that worked out well. Lettuce, grilled tilapia, avocado and pico de gallo. They looked at me like I sprouted a third eyeball when I ordered "no rice, no beans, no cream sauce, no cheese, no tortilla strips...". But it was surprisingly GOOD. I added some extra salsa. It wasn't dry and I found I didn't miss any of the other stuff. Even when the Whole 30 days is up, it's nice to learn that I can go without these things and won't miss them like I thought I would.

My achy back is so much better today. Headache is mostly gone too. I haven't had "kill all things" thankfully, though find myself maybe a little less patient than normal, Otherwise doing okay. How is everyone else feeling?

Twilightfirefly, I deal with light headed feelings too. I have always had low blood pressure, so I'm just a little extra careful. My light headed feeling was the worst on day 2. Day 3 was more of just a regular headache. I hope you're feeling better soon!

The start of day 6; so far so good but its only 6:53 am where I am.  The hardest part about the weekends is not having the structure that work provides.  I'm home.  With the kitchen.  All day.  Well, you know, unless I go somewhere and do something.   :P

Last whole30 I had this really weird food dream about royal blue cake pops covered in sequins.  Last night I had a food dream.  I would not call it crazy, but it was odd.  I was looking at this whole chicken cooked with really lovely brown crispy skin -- but it had been cooked in the crock pot  This made no sense to me since the skin was so golden brown and crispy.  Maybe this says something about progress and what kind of food I crave now?  

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Jamie

Yay day 5 is over!! What a stressful day for me which of course meant really bad cravings. My employer decided to make all of her cookies and banana bread. (She sells them). There was a soft serve ice cream truck down the street. Issues with health insurance….misunderstandings and aggravations at work.  Not my best day. To top it off dinner sucked!! I was looking forward to steak with artichoke. Steak was tough and tasted awful so I couldn’t eat it (yes it was organic) and artichoke didn’t taste much better. I pulled out so lamb meatballs I had made and remembered as I was eating them that I didn’t like them either. Oh Well. I went for sweet potato and some olives and that helped.   Not up to going out yet because I am now getting the bad cravings for foods.

I felt up for a little exercise today so I got up and did my metabolism workout from my Dr. I didn’t go full out and it is only for 5 mins. I think I will start go for my exercise walk to today.

Didn’t sleep well last night. I was up several times and tossing. Hopefully tonight will be better.

Not sure what food I am having today. Need to check what I have and start making more. I don’t have a lot of time this week so I am going to have to make cooking very quick and easy.

Hey guys we almost have a week in the bank!! :D 

Well, my husband and I kicked off our weekend with club soda and limes in our most beautiful, big stemware....pretty nice actually. We've been looking up recipes together, and I'm wondering about two things: coconut flour, and pickles....are they on our list? I'd like to use the flour for a thickener, and pickles...well, just because they're yummy in salads and things.

Oh, and I thought I'd add I've been juicing along with this plan....all approved veggies. I'm hoping the extra concentration of vitamins from it will help in my allergy crusade...and it makes a good post-activity drink. After a hike or whatever, it hits the spot.

Happy weekend, everyone! Almost one week under our belts!

I slept well - yay! and am pretty much feeling good, except for the dizziness.  No carb flu - my friends all think I'm weird because I have never been into bread, whether sandwiches, pizza, rolls, croissants...think that helped out a lot with not getting it (of course, chips are another story, which is why no potatoes for me) :)

Jamie - royal blue cake pops?  Haha!  I haven't had any food dreams yet, but I will be sure to share if I have any interesting ones!

Jenn - I used to have really low blood pressure, but I haven't been eating well the past few years, so it got up to the normal range.  Now that I am eating healthy again, it seems as if it has come back.  Unfortunately, this morning I had my worst bout where I was so lightheaded and dizzy, I also almost lost all vision for a few seconds.  It fades quickly, but still kind of freaky. I ate a few handfuls of salted pistachios yesterday to give me a healthy fat and salt; thought that would help.  What do you do to help with it?  I am going to go have my blood pressure taken today, and possibly email my doctor.

Parsley and Sage - I have heard pickles are fine - if you can find compliant ones.  I don't know about the flour though. Maybe check the 'Can I have.." board in the other part of the forum?

EJS - Good for you for exercising!  I haven't yet, just getting it through yard work and such, but I really need to.  Sorry about the sleep - I had a problem with sleep on nights 2-4; much better last night though.  Prayers for great sleep for you tonight!!

Its the weekend - yay!  And day 6 - its going to keep getting better from here on out!!

Jennifer

Congrats everyone in making it through the workweek! Hope your weekend is without temptations. My skinny husband is understanding about my not wanting to go out to eat yet, until I get more secure in the program. This weekend I'm going to bake some Omelet Egg Muffins in cupcake papers to freeze. And, celebrate my success in following the program by getting a massage!

I resisted temptation in the candy aisle at the store! Out of habit, I was actually reaching for my fav chocolate bar, then froze and asked myself, "WHAT are you thinking?" It worked. :-)

Jennifer, I also slept well - so nice! I am 4 months post-op from surgery on my rotator cuff so Its been a long time since I slept well. I woke up refreshed! I am also learning not to drink anything after 7 pm, so I'm not getting up all night for bathroom trips.

Ejs, you are amazing for resisting the sweets. Does your employer realize you're on a special healthy eating program?

I again, woke up not hungry. But my hubbie made me a delicious spinach, red and green pepper, and tomato omelet with avocados on the side. I forced myself to eat and it was delicious and gave me energy to get through my 1.5 hours of PT rehab exercises. Hopefully my hunger will adjust.

I'm looking into all the cauliflower recipes to substitute for rice and mashed potatoes. I'm playing! It's fun!

Terese

Well I guess you would say that I have hit anger in my grief. Boy am I pissed today. Nothing I eat seems to satisfy me. I seem to be consumed with the thoughts of all the foods I can't have. I may have to splurge on some sweeter compliant things just to keep me from cheating at this point. We will see. At this point I have only had 1 peach in that sweet vain. At work so at least I can keep busy. 

Congrats everyone in making it through the workweek! Hope your weekend is without temptations. My skinny husband is understanding about my not wanting to go out to eat yet, until I get more secure in the program. This weekend I'm going to bake some Omelet Egg Muffins in cupcake papers to freeze. And, celebrate my success in following the program by getting a massage!

I resisted temptation in the candy aisle at the store! Out of habit, I was actually reaching for my fav chocolate bar, then froze and asked myself, "WHAT are you thinking?" It worked. :-)

Jennifer, I also slept well - so nice! I am 4 months post-op from surgery on my rotator cuff so Its been a long time since I slept well. I woke up refreshed! I am also learning not to drink anything after 7 pm, so I'm not getting up all night for bathroom trips.

Ejs, you are amazing for resisting the sweets. Does your employer realize you're on a special healthy eating program?

I again, woke up not hungry. But my hubbie made me a delicious spinach, red and green pepper, and tomato omelet with avocados on the side. I forced myself to eat and it was delicious and gave me energy to get through my 1.5 hours of PT rehab exercises. Hopefully my hunger will adjust.

I'm looking into all the cauliflower recipes to substitute for rice and mashed potatoes. I'm playing! It's fun!

Terese

I have mentioned it to her that I am back on but it is part of her business and unfortunately she cooks from home right now. Luckily she wasn't trying something new because she always wants me to taste it and tell her what I think. Going to have to tell her no when that happens. Luckily I am not working for her today.

Hey everyone, I really enjoy the conversation here. I look forward to it. Had a fun day today. Learning to play golf, and looking at recipes ....my energy level is pretty good. I hope I'll score another good's night's sleep...no allergy cough please!

So, I did go to the 'Can I have' thread....thanks Jennifer. Almond, Coconut, and Tapioca flour are all a go, but only as I'm needing to use it for cooking....thickening agent only. No recipes for muffins, pizza crusts, etc. at all. Makes sense to me, otherwise the reset goal gets compromised...

Here's wishing a nice Saturday night, and some good zzz's for everyone tonight....

Sandy

EJS, hang in there and don't give in to cravings!

Day 4 in my daily newsletter addresses cravings. Here's the most relevant part: "Here are 5 ways to fight food cravings:

-Delay or distract. We’ve already talked about this—tuning out a food craving for just a little while can actually make it go away, as will finding something else to do.

-Chill out. Since cravings are often triggered by stress, boredom, anger, and other emotions, find other ways to calm down. Exercise has been shown to ease stress and release endorphins, so go for a walk, do some office-chair yoga, or drop and give us 10 (push-ups). Other ways to let out the stress are meditating, journaling, or even calling up a friend to vent.

-Eat. If you’re legitimately hungry (use the techniques we described above) and craving something sweet, skip the sweet stuff—no snacking on fruit. Instead, eat a meal or snack focused on protein and fat. These two macronutrients together pack a huge satiety punch, letting your brain know that your body is full, well-nourished, and happy.*

-Drink up. Thirst can easily masquerade as a craving—that feeling of, “I need something…” is often hard to pinpoint. The next time you have a food craving, drink a glass of water first. Then wait about fifteen minutes. If you're still hungry, it's probably legitimate, but this method is a great way to make sure you're not just dehydrated.

-Nap it. Food cravings and sleep deprivation go hand-in-hand. When you're sleep deprived, your body releases a hormone that makes you crave sugars and carbohydrates. If you think you might be reaching for food from sheer exhaustion, go to your room (or out to your car) and take a fifteen minute cat-nap. Giving your body what it really needs will be a more effective way of making yourself feel better."

Tomorrow's another day - hope it's better!

Day 6 started out with me feeling better. Got up and made my sweet potato hash browns (yum) plus 2 fried eggs. After 2 days without coffee, I decided to try my coffee with coconut milk and a bit of coconut oil. It even tasted good. Went to work and my gut started churning. I was not feeling good thru half of my work day and even tonight my gut has that raw pain feeling. Not sure what it is, but I'm thinking of laying off the coffee/coconut milk...and see how that goes.

Otherwise, I had more energy today...a good feeling. In some ways, my days at work are almost easier...more structured, away from food=less temptation.

Well I made it through. I couldn’t confront cooking so I went to Whole Foods to get a roasted chicken. It was so good with the sweet potatoes. Finally I enjoyed something today!

Thanks so much tlefavor for the help. I was working all day so that helped. I am going to bed early thank god day 6 is over.

Here is what I had today:

Lettuce wrap burger and sauerkraut

Turkey burger, celery, & cucumber

Ground beef and asparagus, peach

Whole foods roasted chicken & mashed sweet potatoes

Spent hours today cooking.  Batches of sweet potato hash, salsa verde chicken, and coconut butter (which I either didn't get right, or I just don't like it).  Also chopped a bunch of veggies.  We faced the fire today, taking our kids to Baskin Robbins, and not getting anything ourselves! (it helps that BR is combined w/Togos up here, so all you smell is pickles!).

We both noticing improvements to, ahem, our "digestive systems", and my husband's even noticing improvements in his skin (he has pretty severe psoriasis).  So we're highly motivated to keep going.

Though I might kill someone for a compliant Diet Coke! :)

Day 6 started out with me feeling better. Got up and made my sweet potato hash browns (yum) plus 2 fried eggs. After 2 days without coffee, I decided to try my coffee with coconut milk and a bit of coconut oil. It even tasted good. Went to work and my gut started churning. I was not feeling good thru half of my work day and even tonight my gut has that raw pain feeling. Not sure what it is, but I'm thinking of laying off the coffee/coconut milk...and see how that goes.

Otherwise, I had more energy today...a good feeling. In some ways, my days at work are almost easier...more structured, away from food=less temptation.

Have you had much coconut previously? Some people so have sensitivities to it, unfortunately.

Good news on more energy!!

Betsie_n, I have never had much coconut in my diet before, So I'm a little suspicious that it's causing some problems. I was doing some research online tonight and it seems like a possibility. But the more I researched, the more my gut problems sounded like leaky gut and/or candida overgrowth. Not good. I'm learning that there is no quick fix...and this Whole 30 is just the beginning of my journey towards a healthy gut. <_<

Archived