Hi, I'm new...

zapslr

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to this. I just randomly happened to see something about Whole30 last night on facebook, looked it up today and downloaded the ebook. I've started reading it now and hope to finish it in time to maybe start day 1 on August 1st. (hoping my hubby will follow along w/ me to make things easier).

Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone else out there was in this same boat?

-Shanna :huh:

Hi MeadowLily-

Kind of off topic, but the bit in green, that starts with "Nice couple. I think there's...." what is that from? I swear I've heard it before? ^_^

-Shanna

Nice couple.   I think there's always another streetcar coming 'round the corner.  I see new folks every day.     

I wish you well on your journey.

Ah, well thank you. We try :)

The quote actually sounded like something out of .... The Great Gatsby is what came to mind first, given the streetcar reference, but if it's your own- more power to you! Love it!

I'm still reading away and hoping i can make this work w/ my life. The idea of cooking ALL THE TIME scares me, as does the food budget. My hubby and I both live about an hr from our respective jobs and I don't get home until 8pm 3 nights/wk, he doesn't arrive home until 630 and we have pets that need tending to so cooking every night (or in the mornings before work, hahaha, that just won't happen) is scary. I'm hoping food can be made ahead of time and eaten as left overs often! We shall see as I get further in I guess.

How long have you been doing this?

-Shanna

• Moderators

Hello!

For tips on cooking in bulk for the week, check out this post from theclothesmakethegirl.com. The site also has a ton of recipes, most of them W30 compliant. If you really want to cook in bulk, there's also freezable recipes from Once A Month Meals, although I haven't tried any of their recipes. 

Definitely plan on doing as much prep work as possible, not having food ready at the end of a hard day or on a morning when you're running late for work can really mess up all your efforts.

Hi Shannon,

OMG thank you! I may join that recipe site and do 30 days of freezable meals this weekend! I'm not done with the book yet but hope to shop and cook this coming weekend to start the following Fri, 8/1. Do you know on that recipe site if these are considered "whole foods" or "paleo" when I'm looking up menus? I don't want to mess it up before I even start!

Thanks!

Shanna

• Moderators

Shanna, I haven't used the site, I just stumbled across those recipes when I was looking for ideas of what to cook for my own Whole30.

If you look at the Paleo menus, they have a few months that say Whole30 compliant -- so you'd either want to use those months, or you'd need to look carefully at all the recipes for the current month's Paleo menu and swap out the ones that aren't Whole30. (As a member, it says you could access all the information for any previous month, including the Whole30 compliant ones, so you would still get that benefit, you just need to pay attention and make sure you choose a Whole30 month.) 

Looking at it, it looks like the recipes are all free. What you would get by paying money to join is the ability to customize the menu for your family size, printable grocery lists, the ability to swap out recipes within a month's menu, and their instructions on exactly how they cook a month's worth of food in a day. (And they do mean a whole day -- apparently you'll be cooking for 12 hours, using up to two slow cookers plus the oven, according to the note at the bottom of the May 2013 Paleo menu, which says it is W30 compliant.)

Welcome!

On the cooking thing - I cook for several hours on the weekend, and then the most I do during the week is reheat, and maybe cook some vegetables fresh (grill some squash I've already sliced or something like that). There's no way i could do this otherwise - I'm at work from 9-6 or 6:30 every day, then often do something after work that either involves packing a dinner or getting home and being ravenous.

That being said - I still complicated things way too much during my first Whole30 by picking recipes that were new and/or complicated every week, which led to me being in the kitchen for what felt like all weekend AND spending $400+ that month on groceries just for myself! Now I do one or two new recipes a week max, and make the rest simple (plain burgers to get topped with whatever I feel like, for example). That saves me time, money and frustration. It may take you awhile to get into the groove, but you'll get there! Leftovers are the best. :)

Hi Everyone, thanks for the Welcome!

Trying not to get too overwhelmed yet!

@shannon- yeah i realize all the recipes on that site are free, which is AWESOME but for 1 month (i haven't looked too closely yet, hopefully i can get just one month or even just 3 months) membership i figure it's worht $10 for them to help me build my menu for the month, give me the shopping list and customize it to the # of people I'm trying to feed, at least for month 1 I figure $10 is no big deal (I do'nt think I'd buy it for a year or anything). Does that make sense? The thought of coming up w/ all this stuff on my own is what's totally overwhelming lol! (**and i REALLY don't want to get bored or i know i won't stick w/ it!)

Thanks!

Shanna

• Moderators

If you can do a month at a time instead of a year and it makes you feel better and more able to stick to the plan, it's definitely worth it. 

If you do try it out, let us know how it works out. I'm curious about cooking ahead more, but the logistics of trying to figure it all out and then getting it all cooked and put away in a way that it will still be good when I go to heat it up later have been more than I could figure out, and I guess I'm a little worried I'd buy all the groceries and either not get it all cooked in time or get it all done but have it just not be good when I thawed it out later.

Archived