Whole cream in my coffee

Ann

I completed my W30 a few days ago, and chose to give up coffee during my 30 days, because I didn't want it if I couldn't have it with half & half. I am on the fence about whether I want to have coffee again; Question - is full-fat cream a better choice than half & half? And if so, would that be a decent fat to add to my breakfast - i.e. 2-3 eggs, a big pile of steamed veggies, and a cup of coffee with whole cream? This assumes, of course, that I do okay with dairy if/when I choose to reintroduce it.

My understanding is that full fat cream tends to have less of an effect on your insulin levels (if you care about that sort of thing).

Pastured animal fat is good for you. But if you are sensitive to dairy proteins you will be sensitive to full fat cream regardless of whether the lactose bothers you. You cannot "clarify it" as you can butter.

Then there is the pasteurization/homogenization conundrum.

I am concerned that I am sensitive to dairy, though I have great sources for raw, unprocessed, and minimally processed products--including goats milk, which I tend to prefer.

Prior to my undertaking the Whole30, I used pastured, low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized (inhale) heavy cream for my coffee.

It is heavier than 1/2-n-1/2 so I use less of it. I enjoy the flavor and the mouth feel.

Coconut milk in coffee does not send me either, so I hope all goes well ;) .

Maeva

Just wondering if you have *tried* coconut milk in your coffee. It is astonishingly good, and this is coming from a half & half or cream in my coffee person. It is different but it has the right mouthfeel. And it does not taste strongly of coconut. I was really, really hesitant to try it but when I did I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Full-fat heavy cream is lower in the undesireable milk sugars (lactose) and milk proteins (casein) than half and half. Full-fat heavy cream is mostly fat, similar to butter. It is the only dairy product I can tolerate with no ill effect.

I agree with the above - full-fat heavy cream is certainly preferable to half-and-half, especially if it is sourced from happy cows. As long as you tolerate dairy then I think the odd coffee with cream should be fine.

I personally do not fully tolerate dairy (it aggravates my psoriasis and I seem more susceptible to colds after eating), but there are a few things I have on occasion anyway: butter, full-fat yoghurt, goat/sheep cheese and full-fat cream.

Another alternative is unsweetened almond milk. I can't stand coconut cream in coffee, but I think the taste of almond compliments a good coffee.

Archived