Day 19 & I Feel Horrible

Hi All,

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking on the forum for a long time.

I am on day 19 of my second attempt at Whole30. Last time my husband and I made it to day 21 before our cat died and we ate our feelings. I wasn't feeling like superwoman at that point of the program, but I could have (and should have) finished out the 9 more days.

This time I'm going it alone. It's dragging. I am bored with food and yesterday I almost cried over pizza. I am on day 4 of a constant headache, I had to go to the doctor for another issue and found out I've "only" lost half a pound which didn't help (at home the scale is hidden and now I definitely know why the rules are no weighing.), I am so.tired. and have no gusto to hit the gym. I sleep, but have crazy, crazy dreams (at least they're not about twinkies!). I took before photos and compared them to two weeks in photos, and I think I'm more bloated than ever. TMI, my bathroom schedule is not anywhere near consistent. For the past 3 days I have desperately wanted to throw in the towel, but I'm still here. Just barely. My skin was looking a lot better, but broke out yesterday. I also feel like I'm getting sick.

Sample day of food:

Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, a sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon, an apple or a cup of berries, black coffee.

Lunch: meatloaf, squash and zucchini cooked in coconut oil, 1/4 avocado, a small tomato, watermelon.

Dinner: "Shepherd's Pie" with ground turkey, green beans, sweet potatos, carrots, in a tomato sauce  and topped with mashed cauliflower.

Today I am making a conscious effort to drink more water to see if that helps. I am just tired of feeling miserable.

I'm sure you've  thought of this (so I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious) but any chance it's realted to your menstral cycle?  What you're describing sounds like how I feel during that time of the month.  I hope things start to improve for you soon, you're 19 days in - don't give up :)

Bede0713, funny you should ask. My cycle has been all sorts of messed up. Last round of Whole30, I started a week early, and went for 12 days. This time around I started a week early, and only went for 5 days. My period was over before I started the off week. So I'm on the inactive week now with no symptoms other than extreme moodiness and the headaches. I'm in the process of switching from HBC to an IUD to see if that helps me at all. I completely overhauled my eating habits a little over a year ago and started running and exercising regularly - I've lost the same 5 pounds more time than I can count, and none of my clothes are smaller/I haven't lost inches anywhere. I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal. Something has to give.

Ugh, I'm so sorry.  Changing birth controls and wacky cycles can wreak havoc on your body.  I've had the same issues for years since I'm really sensitive to hormones.  Hopefully the shift to an IUD will help alleiviate some of this for you.  It sounds like you're on the right track though and that's a really good thing. Tomorrow you'll be at  day 20 which is only 10 days from finishing.  Maybe your body just needs that extra time to regulate  and feel good about the positive changes you're making.  I'm sorry it's been so tough though!

Thanks, that actually makes me feel better. I went to the doctor on Tuesday (where I saw the number on the scale and got mad) and basically just said "I'm crazy, fix me." So we're working on it, but it will be about a month before I can make the switch due to "protocol."

I've definitely been eating too much watermelon and too many cashews, which isn't exactly in the spirit of the program, but it has to be better than thawing my leftover wedding cake, right?

I'm actually really glad I ditched my scale - I'm an everyday weighing crazy person so it's hard but a better idea overall for me I think. 

I'm glad it makes you feel better - hang in there, you've come too far!

Oh much better than defrosting the wedding cake - I think my hubby and I ate our top layer at our three month anniversary.  It was calling to me... :wacko:

I used to be a weigh every day-er and I gave up that habit a couple months before the wedding (which was May 16th). It was SO FREEING. Ours at home lives in the closet and I only got it out to weigh before starting again so I could compare after 30 days. Not a habit I want to get back into.

Only 11 more days! I had grand plans of doing a Whole45 or something but now I just don't know. I'm hoping maybe the site-wide August program may give me a kick in the pants to keep going.

The top layer is still intact and in the freezer at my parents' house...which is probably the only reason it hasn't been eaten yet. He wants to save it until our one year mark. We'll see if that actually happens.

Thank you so much for your kind words, seriously. I'm more determined to stick it out now than I was when I woke up this morning.  :)

That's what I did  - put my scale in the closet.  It helps.  Congrats on your recent marriage!

You're welcome, really.  I've had so many ups and downs with making lifestyle changes in an effort to be healthier and I'm just refusing to not hold things together this time.  I'm glad I could help.  Keep me posted on how you're doing!  :)

I've definitely been eating too much watermelon and too many cashews, which isn't exactly in the spirit of the program, but it has to be better than thawing my leftover wedding cake, right?

For some folks, nuts cause bloating. You might try backing off the nuts for the remainder of your Whole30, and see if that helps you feel better. If you are genuinely hungry between meals, have a mini meal containing a protein and fat (just use a fat source other than nuts).

Update: day 23 and I finally feel "leveled out" for lack of a better term. Energy is steadier, the headaches have lessened, I don't want to kill everything, and am back in the gym.

Over the weekend I passed up brownies (my nemesis) and we ate out at a mexican place where I had a delicious salad with grilled chicken and zucchini using salsa (with no sugar!) as a dressing. 7 more days and I know I can finish this thing out - I'm SO glad I fought over the hump.

I cut out nuts for the last 10 days of the program to see if that lessens the bloating. I'm still not noticing any outward physical changes which is a little troubling, but I feel a lot better which is awesome!

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better!  It's a nice feeling not to want to kill everything, I really hope to get there soon!  ha:)

Good for you on the brownies and Mexican -  Mexican would be tough for me - chips and salsa are a trigger big time for me. 

I've noticed I haven't been eating many nuts in general.  When I started I figured I'd have them all the time as a snack but I've yet to feel the need to actually snack so I'll occasionally throw them in with some grapes and coconut shreds as a part of a meal.  Yum!

Archived