August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Heading into day 4 - so grateful my husband decided to do the Whole 30 with me - we both had a cranky meltdown in the early evening as we headed into the dinner hour. I was tired and did not nap. Fortunately I made the health Thai chicken dish from the Well Fed cook book. That cook book is fantastic, if you don't have it I suggest picking it up. I did a weekly cook up and have really benefitted from the hot plates. I thought my coffee drink would cause me problems but it did not - I have been implementing the drink I found on Pinterist.

Today I go to school to meet the new principal and discuss the program for the up coming school year. I have meditated and am focused on having a positive attitude - keeping my boundaries in place. When that meeting is over I will take a nap. I feel very tired today but woke up early to start getting in the habit for the upcoming school year.

I also think I will be adding in some exercise tomorrow if I am up for it.

I made a wonderful frittata with sweet potatoes that has served me the past two mornings for breakfast - I will sauté some asparagus and mushrooms and enjoy my breakfast. Will do tuna for lunch with green apples and then chicken and veggies for dinner - might try the cauliflower rice recipe from Well Fed.

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just managed to shut down a nice journal/message. Don't you hate it when that happens!

Short version:

-overslept, but only by 1 hr today--still working to reset for when my PTA program resumes

-wondering if headache is due to worse eating that I thought prior to W30, or still a hydration issue (possibly both)

-Not walking today--sore--hockey tomorrow--walk Wednesday--will still hit exercise goal of 3x/week (I don't count hockey)

-quiche turned out fine, but I think I used too many green peppers--balance was off

-knee started acting up yesterday--will use different shoes to walk Wednesday-think shoes (anti pronation support) may be what landed me in PT last fall.

Have a good Day 4 everyone!

Hey everyone - happy day 4!

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised at my (knock on wood) lack of hangover effect this time around. Round 1 had me laid out on the couch with a killer headache on days 2 and 3. This time, I'm doing good. :)

I spent yesterday meal prepping for this week - I've got homemade Caesar dressing (well, it turned into Caesar mayo, but it dilutes okay with water), I made some delicious citrus marinated chicken last night for supper and have leftovers to put on my salad. I also made plantain tostadas to make chicken "tacos" - honestly, not too bad. A bit sweeter than corn tortillas, but I'd make them again.  I made a now-standby recipe of Italian crockpot chicken soup for work lunches and I'll put in a batch of Barbacoa beef tonight when I get home. I also have some ground turkey/zucchini "poppers" that are super fabulously delicious and one of my Whole30 favorites.

One of my biggest challenges is cooking things that my husband will eat. Yesterday we did steaks w/ sweet/white potato hash for dinner, which he was okay with. But he's not a huge fan of chicken and quite honestly, has even worse eating habits than I do/did. I'm hoping he'll like the crockpot beef and can make himself sandwiches, etc. (He's a veterinarian and a farmer, so does eat at home a fair bit.)

My other challenge is that it's sweet corn season. *sigh* I pink puffy heart love sweet corn. How wrong would it be to do a Whole30 + sweet corn challenge?  ;)

How's everyone doing on this DAY FOUR??

Yesterday was tough.  I felt the full brunt of food hangover and I had a ton of cravings.  I knew one little frappucino would make all the symptoms go away.  Just like one little hit of smack makes the junkie's symptoms go away.  Crazy to think of it that way...

Today I feel fine, which is weird for Day 4.  I think I may have overdone it with fruit yesterday, which sucks, because I'm going to have to go through the withdrawals all over again.

Hi there. End of day 4 here and very grateful that, like Roussa57, I did lots of prep on Sunday. So this morning when I had to make breakfast and get the kids to school I just grabbed a few fistfuls of pre chopped veggies and made an omelette. Then when lunch time came around, it was more veg and tinned salmon and, voila, a salad. Having the food ready and prepped really does make a HUGE difference.

But I need help. I cannot make a mayo that I actually like - they just taste so oily. I have tried making with coconut oil (tasted like sun tan lotion), with EVOO (disgusting), light Olive Oil (still very oily) and Avocado Oil (better but still oily). I know the oily taste will never fully disappear but there must be some kind of combo that you've tried and love. Please share - I love mayo and it is such a versatile sauce that I would really love to fund a recipe that works!

Thanks all and Happy Day 5!

Day 4 was easier and I ate more. Breakfast was a hard boiled egg, sausages, leftover roasted sweet potatoes and blueberries. Lunch was tuna with homemade mayo, celery, capers, shallots and walnuts. I had an appointment after work, and I was a little hungry, so I had a banana and a small amount of nuts. Dinner is a veggie stir fry ( mushrooms, peppers, onions, zucchini and kale) with ground beef and scratch made marinara sauce.

Hi Everyone, doing well so far, breakfast a bit small today so was hungry by 11am, had some coconut balls (coconut oil, desiccated coconut, cinnamon and vanilla), but do find that just eating the 3 meals helps with the mind set.  However feeling hungry is not good for me either as my mind just wonders and wants to eat everything in the kitchen.  I enjoy writing these messages as it brings home that I'm not alone and that I'm actually doing this with other people out there.  It's a beautiful day here in New Zealand so will go out for a walk too. 

August 4...Day 8

Busy Monday.  Stressful.  Didn't sleep well last night - woke up a couple of times, and finally at 3 am went out to the couch, achey/crampy tummy and lower back.  Didn't get back to sleep until 5.  Was "off" all day - just tired, not productive, and not functioning well because of lack of sleep.  Unfortunately, that means I'll be working late tonight to try and catch up on what I didn't get done today.

Breakfast:  2 eggs, fruit, 1/2 avocado

Lunch:  Taco meat mixed with sauteed zucchini, onion, bell pepper, and cauliflower

Afternoon:  handful of nuts and larabar  (I haven't needed to snack lately, but I think I got so hungry today becuase I didn't sleep well last night)

Dinner:  Taco meat mixed with sauteed zucchini, onion, bell pepper, and cauliflower

Need to finish up my work for the day and get to bed so I can have a better (more productive, and time for a walk!) day tomorrow.

Day 4 was surprisingly without carb flu. I keep waiting for it to hit. Every other time I have tried to do a Whole30, I ended up giving up during that first week because of how tired I felt. Maybe my determination has something to do with it this time. This forum certainly helps. I am reading how others are going through exactly what I am and that is such a great support.

Frittata for supper along with a jalapeno and apple coleslaw, which was pretty tasty. I'm so glad I can eat the frittata for breakfast and am taking some coleslaw along with a small can of chicken and some fruit. Prepped everything this evening for a crockpot veggie/chicken/meatball stew. I saw the recipe in a budget paleo cookbook at the bookstore the other day. So supper is planned for tomorrow, too. Being prepared is certainly the key to sticking to this. Although I have to say my sleep has improved immediately and that is HUGE for me as well as my low-level anxiety which always seems to hang around seems to be at bay.

Hope it was a great day for everyone. The fact we have already come this far is pretty amazing. I can't wait to see how I feel during that final week!

Happy (I hope) Day 4 everyone :)

It is so helpful reading about and sharing the same journey with you all and knowing that other people, some across the other side of the world, are going through the same things as me. I didn't use the forum in my last Whole30 and, while I have my husband on board with me both times, it's great to hear other's stories and takes on things, as well as sharing food tips! Gotta love the internet!

Things are going well for Pete & I...very little carb flu, besides a couple of small headaches and being a bit tired. I'm attributing this to being fairly paleo before starting. Woke up this morning feeling calm and energetic and thinking, "I don't feel like killing anything". Did some early morning shopping, after dropping my son at school, to set us up for the next couple of days. I came home and saw my husband, and I was all of a sudden cranky lol! Over nothing really! It could have also been because I hadn't eaten yet  and was without coffee since Sunday :) Once this was rectified, I felt happy and calm again, but I'll be on the lookout for the angry monster for the next couple of days lol.

Going to make some ghee today...made mayo yesterday, which I've been making myself for a couple of years now. But never made ghee, so looking forward to that..

Yesterday, I had to shop on an $8 budget, so that was tricky, but we did it. It helped that I had 1 sweet potato and some leftover roast chicken on hand. Breakfast was fried eggs with sweet potato hash...yum! Had to go cage eggs on the budget, but we can only do the best we can sometimes. Lunch was the chicken with my homemade mayo. And dinner was Spaghetti bolognaise sauce with a big saute  of all the veggies I had left in the fridge, also yum! So far haven't been doing a lot snacking and we usually go to whatever protein we have in the fridge. Peter had a banana yesterday and immediately became itchy!

Exercise was a 1.2 km walk along the beach in soft sand.

So far today has been fried eggs (in olive oil) with minute steaks for brekkie. Not sure yet about lunch, if we want it (often we don't). And dinner is a slow roasted lamb shoulder with greens and smashed potatoes, swede and pumpkin.

Hope everyone has a great day 4!

Cheers

Karen

Day 2 - I woke up early today and played with tools. Haven't had any negative experiences yet other than being tired, but that's mostly because me and the man are trying to get our routine fixed. Managed to make it to the gym today for the second day one a row. My bad leg is killing me.

Breakfast- hollowed out tomato with shallots, garlic, and one large egg. So yum.

Lunch- I grazed on watermelon and left over pot roast from last night.

Dinner- sweet potato and chicken thigh with chipotle sauce, had to make a last minute sub in the recipe, wasn't the best. Really missing ketchup (and don't give me that paleo ketchup song and dance, I've never had on that tasted at all like ketchup and wasn't filthy disgusting.)

I'm not in the worlds best mood due to joint pain.

Hi there. End of day 4 here and very grateful that, like Roussa57, I did lots of prep on Sunday. So this morning when I had to make breakfast and get the kids to school I just grabbed a few fistfuls of pre chopped veggies and made an omelette. Then when lunch time came around, it was more veg and tinned salmon and, voila, a salad. Having the food ready and prepped really does make a HUGE difference.

But I need help. I cannot make a mayo that I actually like - they just taste so oily. I have tried making with coconut oil (tasted like sun tan lotion), with EVOO (disgusting), light Olive Oil (still very oily) and Avocado Oil (better but still oily). I know the oily taste will never fully disappear but there must be some kind of combo that you've tried and love. Please share - I love mayo and it is such a versatile sauce that I would really love to fund a recipe that works!

Thanks all and Happy Day 5!

Hi Ang,

I don't know whether you've already tried this mayo recipe from the Whole30 writers, but I made it yesterday and it turned out really creamy. Hop you have success! :)

http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/

So day 3 went really well. I felt better today and not as tired. I am adding ghee and mushrooms back into my diet. So we will see how it goes. If I have any reaction I will just keep it out.

Food:

Turkey burger, avocado, green beans, mixed berries

Left over spaghetti squash, beef, & pesto

Applegate hot dogs, pickle, carrot, cucumber

Filet, crab, artichoke, sweet potato, ghee

Not feeling too great after dinner so I need to see if it was the crab or the ghee.

I had my first food dream last night. I dreamt I was trying to make fried plantain slices and my plantains weren't as ripe as I wanted them to be and I got really upset about it!

Feeling OK otherwise - I already had pretty balanced blood sugar from a couple of years of paleo. For all of you for whom this is a huge change - stay strong and make sure you're eating enough Good Food! You can do it!

Happy Day 5, everyone!

I'm feeling pretty good so far, not sure if I'm quite getting enough fat in my meals, but I'm adjusting and slowly getting there. Didn't get my nirmal energy slump this afternoon. Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow

Hello everyone! My name is Michelle and I live in Northern VA. I started this program because I want to regulate my hormones and food cravings. It's important to me to change my relationship with food. I've recently lost 15lbs through counting calories, but my relationship with food has stayed the same. My biggest challenge with be with alcohol. I drink a glass of red wine pretty much daily, this will be tough. I'm also headed to the beach for 4 days later this month, I expect that will be a challenge as well.

Yesterday was rough - not so much due to Whole30, but work exploded after I got back from Crossfit over lunch. I finally had time to eat LUNCH at 6:00pm. When I got home at about 7:30, I ate supper, since I was still hungry. Sleep wasn't great last night, but that was due to a certain 15 month old that also didn't sleep well. 

I'm hoping for a bit more normal day today. ;)

Starting day 4 feeling worse that day 3. I saw a new Dr and she is handling my blood sugar. Apparently it is all whacked. Gee imagine that. My liver and gallbladder are all clogged up so she i helping with that and also the adrenals. I am thinking that the new supplements are helping unplug the liver and gallbladder so I am detoxing more hence more carb flu. I am really hoping she can help with the hot flashes because I really need to get some sleep. She did say for me to add ghee and sprouted nuts back into my diet. So i will do that but one at a time and if I have any reaction then obviously they are a no. I will have to learn how to sprout nuts though. If anyone knows please let me know.  

I am somewhat short tempered but I have not had the desire to kill someone yet. Luckily, although my brother does give me ample reason from time to time. Then there is that demon neighbor who makes everyone's life miserable.

This is what my food should be today:

Rock fish with zucchini and basil

Turkey with mix greens, heart of palm, artichoke hearts, kalamata olive, & avo salad apple cider vinaigrette

Turkey veggie soup

I will need to figure out what to do for dinner

Everyone have a great day

So I only ended up 15 minutes behind today. Not bad considering I woke about 2 and ended up getting up 45 minutes late...better than an hour though.

Currently sitting at the Dr's office waiting for my school TB test. Got here by 8:45 to get my blood drawn for labs, then found out I had to wait on the Dr for the TB serum. I thought I would be home eating breakfast 30 min ago.

Not too headachy this AM. Just really hungry now.

Found a recipe on pinterest for rotisserie inspired roast chicken. Had most ingredients on hand and subbed others. Turned out great. Made it with sides of green beans and spaghetti squash.

Hi! My name is Julia. I started the Whole30 Friday. I have recently lost 62 pounds and although my diet has changed drastically i wanted to give my system a boost and try the detox.

i ordered and spent sometime over the summer reading the book not sure if i was up to the challenge. 

My goals for the month would be:

1: to detox from the chemicals and to get rid of cravings

2: find ways to enjoy the food i am eating and preparing my what the actual food tastes like and not what we normally "dress" it up 

3: to incorporate this lifestyle into my every day living for myself and my family after the 30 days is over.

Here on day 4 i realize that eating 3 meals a day is super important. I've always been a skipper of breakfast during the week and relied on protein shakes for lunch. no can do with this way of eating!!! 

i also found some unsweetened vanilla almond milk in the organic isle that doesn't have any sneaky sugars for my coffee....super excited about that!!

Hello everyone! My name is Michelle and I live in Northern VA. I started this program because I want to regulate my hormones and food cravings. It's important to me to change my relationship with food. I've recently lost 15lbs through counting calories, but my relationship with food has stayed the same. My biggest challenge with be with alcohol. I drink a glass of red wine pretty much daily, this will be tough. I'm also headed to the beach for 4 days later this month, I expect that will be a challenge as well.

I totally understand with the drinking!! we went out on the boat sunday! it was so strange not to have my usual mimosa sunday cocktail in my hand.....i made it through!! so can you!!

stay strong!

Love reading everyone's journeys!  This morning part of my breakfast was coconut cream with fresh blueberries and peaches and topped with pecans...omg good! It would have been even better with cinnamon toasted pecans, which is just pecans toasted in coconut oil and cinnamon, they are heavenly! I think I will need to make some tonight :)  Hope everyone is having a successful day!

I think I just ate the biggest breakfast I have eaten in 10+ years. By the time I got home, it was after 10. I had 3 eggs left, and I never eat 3 at a time. I poached all the eggs, and put them over @1 C roasted root veggies. I also had 1/2 avocado, 1/2 CSA tomato, and 2 nice sliced of Lemon cucumber (also from my CSA). I was so hungry I started shoveling it in, then realized what I was doing, sat back for a moment, then slowly finished it. There is no way I could get hungry after that. I need to eat by @5:30 tonight, which means I will likely only have a small M2--if I actually want it. I have hockey tonight, so I want a fairly light stomach before getting on the ice. I will probably take some nuts to have before or just after. I used to eat closer, but that was also eating out. While the choices aren't horrible, they also aren't compliant. We have an hour drive, one way, too get to the rink, and I have to leave time to change, so I have to leave by 6 for my 7:45 game. I will likely be hungry, and rightly so, after the game. I am trying to think of a protein I can take as a finger food for the way home. I really don't have much in the way of finger foods. I did that so I wouldn't be able to snack much. May just be taking carrots and celery.

Archived