Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe in willpower.

I believe in the willingness to do what it takes to get what you want over willpower.  You can white knuckle it and muscle your way through anything short-term but it won't be a permanent and sustainable change. 

You can't rely on willpower for the big WIN because it won't.   You don't have to be a slave to your cravings and triggers and highly engineered to be craved foods.  If your default setting is set to Eat All The Things every time you're driven by your desires to go through the drive-thru or restaurant - you are a prisoner of your choices.

Willpower doesn't even WIN half the time.   

Having an eating window later in the day when you've skipped breakfast and lunch can result into going into a food coma in a hour's time.   Don't shop when you're super hungry and your blood sugar is at an all day low.  

The brain's function is affected by your blood sugar and when you practice self induced over-restriction every single day,  there will be a food reckoning.   You are still a prisoner of your food options and choices. 

If you've always been a car-eater,  take healthier options if you must be on the road for long stretches of time.  Using candy bars is useless.  You know the drill, take jerkys and fishes in foils. Roast some vege with good fats. 

Dieting and Willpower.  Another sooooo not worth it combo.

Eating through others by proxy.  I'll just buy these foods for the hubs and kids, watch them eat it and hope it doesn't rub off on me.  Nah,  don't do that. 

Can't resist the urge to leave the highly engineered to be craved foods alone....don't drag them into the house or car.  You don't have to bring those old trigger foods home so you can try to resist them with willpower.    

I believe we are what we say and believe we are.   

There are W30 pioneers that have motivated me when I didn't know how to motivate myself any longer. Template.  Template.  Template.  

I've read every post and absorbed their knowledge.   I especially like something I read about saying positive things about what you are instead of what you were.   Such as:

I really don't have any issues with food.

I am an exerciser.  

I  don't have a messed up relationship with food - I simply don't.  

I'm a good shopper.  I don't bring multi-crap home for my family or me to eat.

You don't have to flood yourself with mantras or phrases  but you do have to believe that you are what you say you are.   Keep your blood sugar on the UP and UP,  not jacked UP with sugar sugars and upside down sugars.  

My heroes have always been cowboys, wild things and W30 pioneers who believe they are what they say the are. Genuine.  Authentic.   The real deal.   

Wild Things.   You move me.   

My relative wants me to eat it all back.  Asked me I would so they would feel comfortable about their weight.  So relieved and happy they've decided against the WLS.  

But hail no.  I won't do it.   Not even for those I love.   I had the willingness to do what it takes to get here.

What would W30 pioneers do.  They wouldn't do anything of the kind.  You have to learn to be comfortable in your own skin.  Others may not be so on board with it.   

When you change,  it stirs up all kinds of things in others.   You have to learn to deal.  They come at you will all kinds of trippy mind games.  I'm adept at spotting them.  I  just choose to love them and I set my will to forgive.   Not to be confused with willpower. 

We've made you a stupid cake today.  Hope you like it.  Oooo, here's a few dozen cookies that you might enjoy.   Eating it all back and returning to that nightmare gerbil wheel.  

Nobody puts baby in a corner and don't let anyone do it to you either.  You can have cake on your own terms but don't let anyone shove it down your mouth or help you start shoving your feelings back down with food. 

I see things. :D  Not dead people.  I don't ever want to see dead people.

I can see faces clearly when I need them.  I use them for my positive food management plan.

When I have a slit second to make choices,  I pull up the faces of positive people who say positive things and who do positive things.   I think about their faces and what they might say to me personally.  I don't call them imaginary friends because these people actually exist.  :lol: 

I use my memory to think about their faces and what they might say to me.   

You know that after 5 minutes on that old gerbil wheel of eating it all back,  you'll wish you'd not hopped back on the crazytrain.  Death by lack of cheetos is highly unlikely so go eat a carrot.

Or...I really don't have an issue with food.  You don't either.  You just needed to believe in yourself. 

Things like that.  Positive people.  I imagine that they really care about me.  Real people.  Some of them are all about the tough love.  I like that, too.   

It's working.  I'm still here two years later.  I've not eaten it back and I've not rebounded with a single pound.  There are days you will have to throw everything up against the wall and see what sticks.  Even if you have to tell yourself that people really do care about you.  Do it.   

One day, you'll wake up and care about yourself.  You hope you can help someone care about themselves, too.  You're grateful for the faces of WD30 friends and W30 pioneers.  They're all a part of your positive food management plan.   

Play foods and making play dates with food.  Food Rewards and Thrill Eating.

Budgeting the weekends for play foods, play dates and Thrill Eating.

Thinking about food in childish terms can be fun. Making plans for the weekly food explosion that's going to happen at your house or in your car.  It's raining taco chips UP in there.  Potato chips are sweeping you off your feet.  You're celebrating your excellent 5 days and now it's time to send in the clowns. 

"Trying to get skinny will keep you fat".   There's some truth up in there, too.  Yo-Yo diet cycles of hail are an attempt to swing the mountains of momentum your way every week with 5 days On and 2 days Off.   Really off. 

We have to address the head games we play with ourself with play foods and play dates. 

Fat is not a feeling.  How many times have you budgeted the weekend for Thrill Eating and then Monday rolls around.  Then comes all of that negative self-talk.  I have a sugar dragon that apparently I just can't get rid of and now it's time for more over-restriction.  Monday.  Monday.  Mondays.

I'll skip breakfast and lunch all through the week,  eat one meal at suppertime.  The weekends will be mine, all mine.   

Budgeting the weekends for full on food benders will no longer serve you.  It also tells me you're doing everything in the name of weight loss and dieting.  This is the recipe for gaining all of the weight back.

Wildly swinging the pendulum back and forth every week is a classic approach but compounds finding that positive relationship with food. 

Going ever so slowly may be much ballyhooed but let me tell you, budgeting every weekend for play foods is the way to slip into obscurity.  You won't find your clarity with weekend Thrill Eating.  

It's like going on a weekend Cruise trip and bellying up to the buffet tables with no other activities in mind that the ship may offer.  

All you have to do is put in the consistent effort.  Direction.  

We look into our pasts for clues.  What is the root cause of binge or thrill eating.  Be willing to plumb the depths of your soul for answers.   Search all of the dark corners and ugly places of the ego and super ego.  I hope you find the signs that point towards the key to unlock the mysteries of thrill eating.

Sit down with someone.  Face to Face.   

If you have no readily identifiable trauma to tie you towards disordered eating, no abuse or obsessive attitudes about food and diets - it may all be genetic, somehow.  

Your school career is blissfully uneventful.  No peer pressure.  Not overweight as a child.  Did not suffer the slings and arrows of bullies.  No sneak or secret eating.  No hiding food in closets.  But there's still binge and dis-eating.  

Unlocking the mysteries of why can be major.  Don't get bogged down in the unknown roots because it's not very productive.  Our time is better spent on the present than constantly looking back to the past.

If you are a secret binge or thrill eater, has skipping meals changed everything for you then?   Have you found your key that unlocks your mysteries for finding your internal GPS and direction?

Is this your key?

Sugar  =  Approval  &  Cheering  &  Love

Sitting down with someone, face to face, can help you find perspective about your habits and life.  Think gentle change for the permanent WIN.   Gentle and very consistent.  

"Among those who had had a gastric bypass (which forces starvation for the first couple of years - starvation will always bring blood sugar levels down), barely more than 1/3 of the patients saw a remission, even in the first three years after surgery."

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2014/04/questionable-studies-on-obesity-and.html

Over-restriction/self-induced starving always brings the blood sugar down.  You can practice this by skipping meals on the weekdays but play foods on the weekends will undo all of your efforts. 

The pancreas has a lifespan.   Wild swings UP and down come with a reckoning.  There will be a day when it no longer works. 

I come from a long line of dieters and gastric bypass patients.  One young relative died from WLS bypass complications.   Not immediately, it took months of suffering.  Others have side effects in varying degrees -  at both ends. 

GERD, digestive problems, skin rashes, nausea, gagging, choking, barfing and dumping;  'ium' imbalances. Potassium, calcium...all of the ium's.   The appetite control center is the brain so they still have the same cravings and hunger and desire to taste.  

They are punished at both ends when they give into their cravings and desires to taste,  hungering and thirsting to feel sated.

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2015/09/gastric-bypass-patients-should-consider.html

I think about them every day.  

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2014/02/another-one-lost.html

If you weight cycle with even small amounts of 5 or 10 lbs many times over the course of your lifetime, you lose approx. 30% body fat and the rest is muscle and bone.   With each passing time of rebound, you regain all bodyfat.  This also raises the risk for heart disease.  It's called 'skinny fat'. 

If you're thinking that WLS will solve all of your problems, reconsider.  

There is a way without weigh and whey.   You can do it with all of your being and organs.  It will take effort and working through your choices and consequences.

Arriving at your optimum setpoint.  You don't need to measure, count, weigh or use a tracker.  Your body has a thermostat set to the right temp.  Once its set, you can forget about it.  

In a nutshell or the whole bushel, that's all you need to know about releasing weight.  You really can concentrate on all of your favorite activities without counting your steps and measuring/logging your food.  T.D. is spot on.

That tenet had me at Hello and that forum tune has not changed.  You don't need to turn the dial.  

Simply tune in to your internal navigational GPS.  I don't log my food.  You don't need to unless you have a template question or food issue.

Logging food for the rest of my life is gerbil wheel and a dieting mentality.  I couldn't do it even if you paid me.  I will not stand on the scales in a room filled with my peers so someone can log my weight for me.  Food freedom does not come with a weighing/logging/tracking  ball and chain.

Tune your brain into the Food Freedom station.  The rest is static. 

I learn by cruising the backroads of this forum.  I read the early manifestos/posts that started with food.  I like to go back to the well.   I prefer tough love and not multi-crapping up your results with tracking, weighing, measuring micros/macros and mackerels. 

I threw out all of my self-help dieting books that I'd gathered over the years.   No more dieting for me, Maw. 

Reintros are exciting for those who have a yen for self-experimentation.  Who knows you better.  Who ya gonna call.   Ghostbusters?   Noooo.  You're going to allow yourself to understand your body.

I like those older posts about reaching the optimum setpoint without effort.  No obsessing or working yourself up into a frenzy. 

Don't snack between meals. No skipping breakfast and lunch in favor of a late night eating feeding window. That's reserved for grizzly bears wandering out of their boundaries and rooting around in a landfill.  You don't want to get so hungry that you'll reward yourself with highly engineered to be craved foods or eat multi-crap from self-imposed over-restriction.

There are foods that are far more powerful than raw vege.  I've never opted for eating only eggs for breakfast.  Not one single time in 2 years.  I don't know why you would do that.  Who told you to do that.

I've never read that.  It must be a thing out there on FB.

My eggs are always paired with another protein and vege and good fats.  That's how I rock N roll.  My eggs are not standing alone.  Fish.  Fish.  Fish.    

I like fish, bacon, chops, ribs, brisket, roasts...but not lonely eggs.  The widest variety of foods will give you the greatest measure of health and overall wellbeing. 

I don't have to read scientific papers about weight releasing.

When I traveled across Europe, I had some wonderful foods.  An enormous variety.  Something happened back then.  When I look back,  I see it was mysterious then but not now.   Now I know what was going on.

I was walking many miles every day but I was never hungry between meals.  I wandered around, completely sated.    

THE RIGHT FOODS CONTROL YOUR SETPOINT.    T.D. said this.   I believed it.   It's true then and it's true now.

I'm so excited today because I woke up and I understand exactly what T.D. has been saying for years.. It happened to me in Europe.   

You can't get to your optimum setpoint by eating multi-crap.   It's the science.  Multi-crap food won't get you there.  I don't care if you're counting every frickity frick frick calorie  -  eating 100 cal of cake is not the same as 100 cal of brisket or chops.

I was eating the widest variety of whole foods in Europe.   I was not hungry for multi-crap.  I had energy for miles and miles of hiking and walking.   The right foods control your optimum setpoint.

Keep budgeting the weekends for multi-crap and you won't get there.   Putting your body through the wringer every weekend is starting all over on Mondays.   The body cannot hack being constantly hacked and messed with.

Find your direction.  Be consistent.   Eat the widest variety of proteins and vege you can get your hands on.

The right foods control your optimum setpoint and I woke up so happy.   My internal GPS reminded me of Europe.   Why it worked then and it works now.  

You don't have to log your food every day.  It's not necessary.   At all. 

I ran through my litany of old devotions for bars.  Fruit and nutty bars.  Things have lightened up over the years and there are better paleo bar options out there now.

I can eat my bars in cars

I can eat my meals on wheels

Candy gram, You were my squeeze

You never let me sleep or

Put my mind at ease

My candy fever, longed still

For sugar that nursed the dis-ease

Feasting on multi-crap that

Preserved the ill

That uncertain sickly appetite

never was pleased

I fired your board of trustees

And processed cheese

I'm always here 

No matter where you go

I think I'm smarter than you

And in control

Poetry is the food of love

I have insatiable hunger

For nature's beauty

http://whole9life.com/2016/05/kelly-brogan-depression/

A new Whole 9 blog about depression.   ^^^

"Contrary to what you might assume, one of the most influential risk factors for depression is unstable sugar. Most people view diabetes and depression as two distinct disorders, but new scientific findings are rewriting the textbooks. One game-changing study published in 2010 that followed more than 65,000 women over a decade showed that women with diabetes were nearly 30 percent more likely to develop depression. This heightened risk remained even after the researchers excluded other risk factors such as lack of physical exercise and weight."

What sets up binge eating in childhood.  Genetic markers, depression, environment/attitudes about food....all kinds of things.  Puberty or at the tailend of becoming a fully formed adult brain and everything inbetween.

I sat down with someone, face to face.   

Riding Your Bike.   You can do whatever you want on Day 31 and beyond.   Budget every weekend and holiday for offing or off-roading.  Remain Whole-30ish during the weekdays.  

I lassoed a  W30 star.  I listened closely and followed their advice along with my doctor's.   I longed for their success with everything within my being.   I traveled on the backroads of this forum, going back to the well.   The start of  ISWF.   

Genuine tough love works.  

Some have a way with words without whey and weigh.  A quick course correction when you're meandering outside of your normal river banks and you're back in biz.  

There are imaginary Whole 30's loaded with SWYPO's.   SWIPE-O's.   Swapped out versions of your former favorites.  It's all about those formations that are throwbacks to the past.  

I've been out in the desert searching for the keys that unlocks the mysteries of thrill eating.  

Sugar =  Approval and Cheering and Love

Eating the widest variety of foods and flavors I could find was the beginning of finding peace with food.

Fish.  Fish.  Fish.   For breakfast.   Every kind of protein I can get my hands on and even some awful offal.

I don't eat the same vege every single day but mix it all  UP.   Seasonal wide variety.  We're highly attracted to the foods that we have allergies or sensitivites to.  Food triggers can be your food allergies.   

Mothers used to put corn syrup in baby formulas.   Thanks, Maw.  I was very allergic to corn syrup as a baby.  Colic.  

Gummy bears are a food trigger for me.  They're nothing but corn syrup.  Is this a throwback to infant-hood.   I think so. 

For particular food allergies - corn syrup, corn or wheat.....whatever they may be,  quit eating those.

After 30 Whole compliant days,  test yourself.    You may get by with them for a few days in a row but those old symptoms may creep back up on you weeks later.  Cumulative. 

Trying them every other week may not work.  The body may need a complete rest for a solid year from the foods you've eaten all of the days of your life. 

If you do what you've always done,  you will get what you've always gotten.  We can't force square pegs into round holes.   Forcing it is denial.   Try to go fast and you'll end up with a few nuts and bolts leftover.  

You can't just throw those away.  Your building project will fall apart without a strong foundation. Develop a yen for self-experimentation.   Test your limits.   

I've pulled corn syrup out by the roots.  Thanks, Maw.   It's in everything and it causes diabetes.   

I drank chocolate milk in a bottle until I was 5 years old.  Mawww.  Really.  Really. 

The kids would tease me.  I would roll the bottle up with the corner of my dress to my mouth, trying to hide it.  Secret eating.  SAD sad.

These brain grooves start early.  Infant,  toddler,  pre-school and adult.  It's Maw's fault but I am taking full responsibility for it now.  

When Maw was carrying me, she ate cinnamon rolls and drank chocolate milk almost every single day.  I don't like that.   I'm fighting tooth and toenail against genetics, metabolic markers and all of that multi-crap Maw fed me. 

Teach your children well.    Your Maw's food hell will slowly go by.     You.  You who are on the road.  You must have a code that you can live by.   

There's so much  Paleo quackery out there.  Some are channeling it or surmising...what would Paleo americans do.  Looking for the light, trying to be the light or simply get light. 

There are no hard fast rules for Paleo because everyone's definition is different.  The word Paleo is owned by no one.  Paleo is confusing and Whole 30 is clear.

80/20

60/40

90/10

60% full fat dairy queen.

90% Paleo processed foods and flours

10% truth and whopping boatloads of grassfed buttered coffee from a drive-thru, in your car with a heater/air conditioner and it's raining tiddlywink Paleo snacks UP in there. 

375a973c7e5be7825320f37652ec0d8f.jpg

I called the olive oil factory.  The 60 min. program said many olive oils are cut with cheaper oils like soybean oil.  At least a dozen brands were tested.  Food fakery gives me a big pinch. Faux foes. 

They assured me it was the real deal but I've been conducting my own tests and experimentation.   It looks like I have a ringer on my hands.  Oooo, brother. 

Who ya gonna call.  Ghostbusters. Hypebusters.   They said at least one half of the oils are phony fake-a-loos. Imposters.  Multi-crap.

I can't do coconut oils so I guess I'll rely on my MacNut and the KGB :ph34r:  :ph34r: (KerryGoldButter) until further tests are completed.  They've crossed the streams and this really marshes my mellow.

ghostbusters_stay-puft-marshmallow_top10

Do you believe in the power of forum folkaronies?   I do.  

Many moons ago, there was a man named dcducks who started WD30 threads.   The reason all of his threads were so highly successful, finishing with everyone intact was because he was  praying for us.

Ayup.  That was the secret in the sauce.  He prayed for us.  You could feel it and it was tangible.  It was more than magical.  It was an extra special rocket booster of power that catapulted us all of the way to the end.  With success and happiness on every side.

We weren't snacking inbetween meals.  Some of us were eating awful offal and bone broth, too. 

We had Tiger Blood.   Just like Melissa said it would happen.  It did.  We weren't working it up with our minds.  You can't talk yourself into Tiger Blood.  You either have it or you don't.  But it was physical.   We had the spiritual with the physical and it made all of the difference in the world.   You could feel it in your bones.  

There were temptations but we weren't falling for any that trickery triggery.  I still remember the feeling of that first  WD30.  Extra special.   

When forum folkaronies truly care about one another,  why anything is possible and the sky is not the limit.  The half has not been told of the fun we shared.   Every day we would meet up at the WD30 clubhouse and let it all hang out.  So much fun.

Lightning strikes.  Maybe once.  Maybe twice.

I know what made all of the difference.   A praying man who cared about each and everyone of us.  That touches my heart to no end,  I'm here to tell you. 

I have a tiny WD30 group going with a couple of relatives.  I'm adding prayer to the mix.  I'm going to faithfully pray for their success and that they feel what Tiger Blood really feels like.  They're in for a real treat when that happens.

It's real.   We need to be real and genuine and authentic.   

I may never be able to recapture that feeling that those groups used to have.  I felt like I was floating on air and in a dream.   It was wonderful.  You can get hooked on a feeling like that.  

But that's one takeaway I can pass on.   Give someone else that extra special encouragement to see it through.   Come out a better person on the other side.   

We didn't experience the KAT phase on those groups.  We were rolling around with laughter, hugs and kisses all around.   I miss the WD30.   I sure do.  

Pass it on ....but I'm adding the secret sauce.  Prayers.   For my lil WD30 subset group. 

Going with what you know.   

Anyone going for a large weight releasing can accomplish that.  That's the easiest part of the journey. Going with what you've always known may get you what you've always gotten - after the weight is released.

Sitting down with someone,  face to face.   Breaking the UP and down cycles of binge eating is so very important. 

"Some bariatric-surgery patients may rationalize any suffering they experience as the cost of losing weight. But even so, they may not keep the pounds off .

The greatest period of weight loss is the 12 to 18 months after bariatric surgery, after which you start to see weight regain, according to Meena Shah, Ph.D., an obesity researcher at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. Her 2006 review of the controlled studies done on the issue revealed that the disease-fighting properties of both bypass and banding surgery go down as patients’ weight goes back up.

Why isn’t weight loss more lasting?  If you keep overfilling the stomach, it can stretch from its tiny postsurgical size to perhaps double its size. In the case of gastric bypass, hormones may also play a role:

Researchers have found that the surgery alters the balance of hormones such as ghrelin that regulate hunger and fullness. “For the first four or six months, we actually have to remind patients to eat,” says Sandra Arioli, a registered nurse who runs a gastric-bypass support group at the Renfrew Center eating disorders clinic in Coconut Creek, Florida. Six months later, hormonal balance shifts again and the appetite returns, sometimes with a vengeance, Arioli says. “That’s when they have to start listening to their body because it becomes harder to change their eating behaviors.” Patients need to get into the exercise habit — a task easier said than done — and come to terms with life after food. “Post-op, these people grieve for the loss of food,” Arioli says. “Food is their comfort. And if you don’t figure out how to find comfort in other ways, you’re going to go with what you know. ”

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26076054/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/miracle-weight-loss-isnt/#.V07_A9QrJkg

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2016/01/weight-loss-surgery-and-dieting.html

About 5% of people on non surgical weight loss programs keep off the weight and with surgery it's 7%.

I knew these stats going into the weight releasing effort.  The appetite reckoning does fight back. Some days it's tooth and toenail.   You don't know what it feels like unless you've been there.  There are all kinds of hormones and chemical adjustments going on as you approach your optimum setpoint.

Going Oooo Soooo Slow is the only way.  If you try to speed this process up,  you can slide back off the goose falling back into old patterns.  Automatic pilot.

When you've been a dieter all of your life, vacillating between cycles of dieting or thrill eating,  the ground gets colder and the metabolism slows with each dieting cycle.  Pulling your plane out of this tailspin is a riveting experience.   Your rivets will be strained and some may sheer off as you make your way back for the clouds.

Strained rivets can only regain their form by overcoming the friction.   With loose rivets, a loose fit into the holes - the frictional resistance is greater.

Loosey Goosey everything causes greater resistance with weight releasing.  The looser the goose pre-condition Whole 30,   the greater the friction.   

Straining your rivets at the seams will cause you to sheer off.  

You are forging iron and steel.  First-rate metal doesn't crack.  A body that has been constantly subjected to wear and tear over the years...constantly hammered and forged by years of dieting and over-restriction will crack.   

The mental metals will fray , collect grit and wear rapidly with great stress.  With every blow of dieting the body and mind becomes nicked with battle fatigue. 

All of these rough edges have to be smoothed out again to maintain strength.  Forging iron and steel is a very slow process.  Try to speed that up and every rivet will sheer and pop loose.  

Blue steel is well adapted for delicate forgings to become strong.  Steel polishes brighter than iron. 

A good finish is necessary.   Don't look backwards. 

Archived