Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I was sweeter, happier, and more sociable and kinder during the last two weeks of my w30. I am definitely crankier doing the reintroduction since some of my favorite foods ( especially dairy) are proving to be problematic for me.

Children and bodies love routines.   I've found my groove.   I eat the widest variety of foods I possibly can without high fructose corn syrups/sugar sugars and upside sugars.   I can eat almost anything but highly engineered to be craved foods and tuned snacks.  Big Kahuna trigger foods. 

I'm in the zone and I stay in my own lane.  I've also learned how to surf and ride the waves.   These are techniques for food addiction recovery.  The surfing went on for months and months,  maybe a year. Now I can see the tide coming in and going out.   I know the peaks and cresting of the waves.   

It's all fun now, really.  I have daily cues to look out for and I surf on through to the shoreline. Beached. 

Nootka-Island-690x462.jpg

I used to be a manual tracker, writing everything down on calendars and diaries.  I don't log anything now. Notta.  

I kept those calendars and went back looking for clues.   I see the old patterns.  Eating it all back during the winter months and starting another frickity frick frick diet on May 1.   There were over 5 years of hitting that same Groundhog Day target on May 1st.   I would hop back on the Gerbil Wheel and spin, spin, spin the wheel.  Spinning and spinning.  Dieting until the first snow would fly.  

Seven months of grizzly bear hibernation and five months of Gerbil Wheel activities.  At the top of every page is written..."This isn't about dieting so I can eat cookies later."  For many years running, Groundhog Day food addictions and Gerbil Wheel dieting.

I found someone to help me.  Face to Face.    

Addictive personalities don't like being told what to do,  especially at the hands of family members.  The dichotomy is that we often live through everybody else so we don't have to look at our own life.  It used be called codependency but you don't hear that word much anymore.

When you quit living through everyone else and start living your own life you will experience the pain.  Dr. Face to Face asked me if I could handle conflict without eating.  Fat is not a feeling.  Feelings and memories that have been shoved down with food for years will come back..

Emotional hunger is not comforted with food.   On the first part of the journey,  Dr. Face to Face also asked me if I was ready to walk from addiction into recovery.   I had to make a decision to step out of it.

Flip the switch.   I did that.   

When you stop shoving emotions down with food,  you get to figure out what was the matter with you as you tool along.   I'm doing that.

Every day I choose.   I continue to make the very present and conscious decision to step out of food addiction and into recovery.    

I'm walking into wellness.   Keep moving and just walk away from food addictions.  I can handle conflict without eating and experience feelings.   Real food is not something you pull off the shelf.  It has a life force to it.  

I wanted my life force back.   Every day I choose real foods.  They've sobered me up to food stability. Stability with food  bleeds over into every area of your life.   It Starts With Food and it ends with food.

It is a reflection of your life force and what's going on in your brain. 

Food stability means more to me than offing.   Offing for me was handling conflict with food and emotional/stress eating.  

In the beginning,  I had more faith in Dr. Face to Face's confidence in me than I had in myself. But I had to make the decision to step out of it.  Food and dieting addiction.  

Bulletproof Coffee is not a good replacement for a BABreakfast.  Combining BC with a BABreakfast and throwing high-carbs in there is a recipe for disaster.  Many now drink BC with high-carbs. Highly engineered to be craved carbs and tuned snacks.   Pastries, donuts, bagels, buttered toast and so on. 

BC is not paleo or paleo-american but no one owns that term and it can mean absolutely anything to anyone one.  80/20 and 60/40.  Drinking WD30 or WD40 coffee instead of eating a BAB won't fix your hormones.

It can become a delicious habit that is used for an appetite killa. 

There is a subset of people who should not be drinking BC with high-carbs.  It's a thing now at many coffee joints with a BABaked or fried pastry item.  When people combine real or imaginary concepts it can really go off the rails. 

Drinking sticks of butter and MCT oil with high-carbs.  Not a good idea.  It is similar to eating lard on sourdough biscuits.  

I tried BC.  It did ruin my appetite but I realized there wasn't much actual nutrition there.   I'll keep eating the BAB.  That's where the real magic is.  One hour within waking is optimum. That's what really fixed my relationship with food.  BAB.  Every day.  

The body loves routines.   Skipping breakfast and lunch,  eating all of your meals at the end of the day when your metabolism is slowing down to a crawl....is a set up for binge eating.   Be a BAB'r with actual food.

There's so much confusion with Paleo.   BC with high-carbs won't fix it either. 

Who are you when no one is watching.  Willpower will only get you so far.  Accountability to someone else works but learning to maintain accountability to the one person who really matters - you - is transcendent. 

Family members and friends become weary and worn-down with food talk.  They're busy trying to keep their own lives together.  Going steady your dieting BFF can become nothing but a competition.  

Conventional dieting programs tell you to make friends with the scale.  Keep a food log and diary. Find apps, create a rewards program for yourself,  push yourself with a pedometer and chart your fitness feats.  

Turning your health into another fitness challenge or competition is fleeting.   There is no such thing as the Finish Line with your health and overall well being.  You have to learn to be completely responsible for yourself when no one is watching or listening or gulp...no longer gives a diddly squiddly what you're doing.  When you see the eyes glaze over,  stick a fork in it....they're done.  For good.

No one can encourage you the way you can.  We know our faults and shortcomings.  When you impose on others too much,  they can become a tad too free-wheeling with their think so's that might turn into criticism because they're sooooo over it.  

Birds of a feather fly together.   I fly here with food freedom.  

I don't lean on friends and family.    Find someone you can talk to.   Face to Face.    Unbiased.  No value judgments on you or placed on food you're eating.   

Budgeting every weekend for offing.  It doesn't work very well for a current or former binge eater.  

When you eat fat, fat, fat during the week and try fat, fat, fat with high-carbs on the weekends - that's like drinking BC with pastries, baked goods, falling back into bowls of spaghetti, lasagna, rice and noodles.  Your pancreas won't know which end is up.  

After 30 or more days of becoming a fat burner or fat adapted,  you can't move in and out of it every single weekend with high-carbs.   The body won't respond that quickly.  

Whole 30-ish during the week and full on food bender blowouts every weekend will not work.  You're starting over every Monday, mentally and physically.  Good fats and sugar everything is not a good pairing.  There's a huge difference between the mindset of taking one or two bites-walking away and not being able to stop until entire bags of cookies/chips/chocolates and half gallons of ice cream are gone. Pray for wisdom to know the difference. 

Create a plan you can live with for the rest of your life.   No Finish Line.   

If your shut-off valve is faulty and it's been that way for years or a decade,  get help.   No shut-off valve is related to low serotonin levels/depression.

Positive food management plan = food stability.    I eat the widest variety of foods without refined sugars.   I am not high carb or zero carb but in the zone with good carbs.  I am Fruit Loose.  Free to eat fruit at the end of a meal.   For me, food freedom does not mean binge eating on the weekends with reckless abandon.  It does not mean over-restriction and self-imposed starving. 

Food Freedom for me means finding your balance with food.   There is a combo that is just right.  It may be different for each person.  

Cesar the Dog Whisperer helps dogs find their balance with the pack.  He trains people so their dogs can find peace.   He teaches them how to eat with others and be socially healthy.  Cesar doesn't allow meanness or aggression that causes a dogfight.    No attacking without provocation.

Cesar gives a dog self-confidence, determination, vigor, zeal, determination and a willingness to work for praise.   Dogs are rewarded with praise. Cesar does not constantly feed a dog food rewards to get it jump through hoops.  No.   

So if you don't have anyone in your corner, praising you for a job well-done....learn to praise yourself without food.   Positively pursue your aims and interests.   You can do it without starting a quarrel or giving everyone a piece of your mind.   You won't have anything left. 

Save that piece.  You're going to need it later.  

I am a junkyard dog who ended up at Cesar's palace.   Junkyard dogs can survive. They can surf through whatever life throws at them.   They're tough as nails but can be trained to trust humans and give endless love without biting the hand that feeds them.

If I ever run into Cesar,  I'll thank him for making things simple and easy.   Dogs are always in the moment.  Present.   

They choose to forgive everyone for everything.  They're givers.  Dogs sense their surroundings.  They know bears and sound out the alarm. Their ears are always listening out for their pack.  Protectors.

Dogs are good therapy.  They listen without judgment.  They make you a better person all the way around.  Dogs improve humans.   Brain Training and Dog Training.   A good pairing.   

When I think about paleo-americans and their exercise routines,  it's interesting.   Routines are man-made and contrived from natural movement.  Running, bending, twisting, leaping over tall tipis, climbing, jumping, hopping, swimming,  lifting and throwing.

The important thing, what happens in the gym, is it useful in the field.  Bear has worked with heavy gym lifters who couldn't lift a thing on actual worksites.  Nadda.  Nothing.  Why doesn't bench pressing equate to being able to keep up with hard working people who can go from daylight to dark....lifting heavy things all day long. 

Is it attitude or fear.  Ice skaters don't break their bones when they bounce off the ice all day but slip and fall on the sidewalk and end up with a broken leg.   What is that.   State of mind.

Mountain climbing and pulling oneself up with the fingertips is not the same as indoor gym climbing.  If it's not shaped like a gym weight,  can you lift it.   Can you transfer a gym activity to everyday functions.

I used to go out with a gym rat.  He spent all of his evenings in the gym and then really showing off his muscles much later in the evening to those who wanted to see him strike a pose while he flexed those muscles.  Had muscles, would travel.  Running all over town to show everyone. :PHeard it through the grapevine, he's still at the gym and looking at himself in the mirror like my pet parakeet.

It's the same pip-squeek who left me by the side of the road with my hood up.  My car was broken down on the highway,  he rolled down the window and said,  Gotta run, it's Tee-Time at the golf course.  I was stranded for hours.  He just drove off and left me there.

When it came time to do any actual work,  no can do.  It was like good window dressing without functionality.  Paleo means any and everything.  No one owns that term.  Paleo-americans didn't do warm ups, squats or spinning but they could run like the wind.   Had to.   

Whatever you like to do, do it on your own terms.   I'm not joining any more gyms and wasting another dollar on a gym membership.  If I have to force myself to go there and don't enjoy a single minute,  there's gotta be a better way.

I simply walk out my door and come home when I'm ready.  I jump over creeks and swing from the trees.  I climb over rockfields and lift heavy branches out of the way.   I mow and irrigate.  Lift heavy irrigation equipment.  I can do these things and move at some speed above zero and couch-mode.  I have to lift family members, well over my size.   It's enough and sustainable.  I'm not going to the gym anymore.  I'll spend my money on booch.   That's not Paleo either but it sure is good.  :D 

A relative I'm helping with the W30 is keeping it all to herself.   Agreed and understood. I didn't tell anyone in my circles either.   No one was left in suspense with what I was having for lunch or dinner. Those closest to me didn't even really remark on changes until a year in.   It took almost 2 years to stick the landing. 

When we open ourselves up for judgment too early out of the chute,  it can marsh your mellow.  If anyone is interested,  I let them come to me.  I don't offer suggestions, blathering on and foaming at the mouth about everything with family.   Seeing is believing.

Families are always in the the Show-Me State of mind. They might as well be from Missouri because eloquence neither convinces or satisfies them.  You've got to show them.  They have the look and they have the face....no one pulls the wool over their eyes or hands them a line.  Show me.  

They might be interested another year from now when I show them anyone can stick the landing.  I don't have to prove anything but they don't give a diddly squidly  about temporary results. They want proof.  Notarized and something they can take to the Bank. 

Alrighty then.   I'm UP for a rodeo.  Letter' Buck.  

Best-Rodeo-Bronc-Riding-Steer-Wrestling-

What do you tell yourself when you meander outside of your normal river banks.   Who are you when no one else is looking. 

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.

And this one keeps me on track.   For real.   I repeated it to myself last night as I was irrigating in the moonlight. 

The fat that gets all kinds of ugly in your body comes from eating too many refined carbs. 

But the form of saturated fat that gets all kinds of ugly in your body doesn’t come from eating saturated fat. The harmful kind of saturated fat comes from eating too many refined carbohydrates.” 
― Melissa HartwigIt Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.

The fat that gets all kinds of ugly in your body comes from eating too many refined carbs.

I speak these outloud whenever I need them.  They're not a bandaid I slap on but an antidote for thrill eating. You have to be able to pull yourself back from abby normal everything. There's no one else who can do that for you when you're all by yourself. 

When you're in the throes of a full on food bender blow-out,  the old me didn't have tools or skillsets in my wheelhouse to deal.   I know how to surf but I keep talking outloud to myself on an as needed basis. 

Refined carb full on bender food explosion blow-outs get all kinds of ugly in your body and mind. They crush your spirit.   Food addiction sux. 

Did someone uncover their secret keys for food addiction and did it change everything for them then?

Is this your key?  Sugar = Cheering and Approval and Love

It's called Urge Surfing.  You just might have to sit down with someone Face to Face to learn how to do that.  I did.   It's saved me from a life of thrill eating and T2 and hiding out because of full on food benders that were making a mess out of everything.

If you're exactly where you were one year ago today,  it's time to seek help and get off the gerbil wheel.

The center aisles of the grocery store are a  target rich environment for food explosions.   They're a landmine of highly engineered to craved foods and tuned snacks.  

Any imaginary comfort only lasts for about 5 minutes and then the dark storm clouds roll in.  It's raining taco chips and potato chips are sweeping you off of your feet.   Budgeting your weekends for a food tornado is the true recipe for disaster.   

WD30 takes on a new meaning.  Unless you know where your ground turkey comes from, it is one the 10 Dirtiest foods.  I wouldn't touch it with a 10-Foot pole. 

Fish. Fish. Fish.   From the stream to the table, pried from Bear's hands. That's what I'm having.  He's been reeling in some really big fish lately.  Halibut, Salmon and a lorra lorra Irish Lords. 

red-irish-lordjpg_650-14D4A91EA3254C93EA

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/ground-turkey-contaminated-fecal-bacteria-report-article-1.1332191

Ground Turkey
The dirt: Potentially one of the foulest of the fowl. A USDA survey showed that the odds are better than one in four that your ground gobbler contains ListeriaCampylobacter, Clostridium, or some combination of the three. What's more, in a separate study by the FDA and the University of Maryland, 24 percent of the ground turkey sampled came back positive for Salmonella. And some of that Salmonella was resistant to antibiotics.

hemilepidotus.jpg

I don't place value judgments on food as in clean or dirty eating but tripe and ground turkey,  I just can't go for that.  Ruminants.  :P  :P  :P I wouldn't eat Irish Lords either. They look like prehistoric goldfish or something that's mutated from a toxic wastewater dump.

lord_eyes-0318.jpg

If you can't afford grassfed beef or don't have a local rancher/processor/access to quality meat - buy a beef brisket or beef chuck roast.  Have your store's butcher grind it up for you into hamburger.  It's far better to have your burger come from only one source rather than 1000's of livestock/cattle thrown all together.   The closer to the source, the better off you are.

The best meat for burgers comes from beef chuck, followed by the beef round.  The beef round is leaner than the beef chuck.  Buy boneless chuck roasts, boneless underblade roasts. The beef brisket will make you one of the best burgers you've ever had. 

If you're opting for leaner cuts, use top round, eye round or bottom round roasts.  Beef Sirloin Tips also make good burgers for the grill.   When you go this route, you can have quality beef over processed burger that you don't know how long it's been hanging out on the shelf.

There are other kinds of processes/additives they use to make it hold longer.  Think solo source and solitary. One is better than none and many, many cattle all thrown into the mix.  

You can eat well on a budget without having to resort to chicken thighs and ground turkey.   I roast whole turkeys  about once a month.   I can't recall the last time I ate a commercial chicken thigh.  Bear fixes awful offal but a country boy can survive.  Wild man of the woods with the aroma of pine, spruce, cedar, fir  and fish, fish, fish. 

AK+354-355+Bear+catching+salmon.jpg?form

Showing vs. Telling

Good teachers affect your future.  They will never know where their influence stops. There's a great teacher here that I learn something from almost every single day. 

Every day they speak truth and wisdom UP in here.  They show the way.  It's far beyond telling. Those that can show you the way can change your world. 

Helping vs. Telling

A good teacher helps you.  Shows you.  There's an enormous difference between showing and helping others vs. telling them what to do.  That's actually a definition of a good parent. 

Good teachers want to see you succeed and WIN.   They are the unspoken heroes of the world with whopping boatloads of humility and tough love. 

if-you-love-someone-showing-them-is-bett

Whole 30 success becomes your ability to rise from food failure.   When we live in the past,  our past becomes our future and prevents us from moving forward. 

Where we focus our attention becomes our emotional state.  When you want to better yourself and change your relationship with food,  you can't hang with negative people. 

Complainers and whiners are bad news bears.  They want to wallow in their problems and fail to focus on solutions.  There's a fine line between getting suxed into an emotional negative spiral and ending up in their state of mind.  Would you sit next to a smoker all day and inhale their smoke.  It's the same way with complainers.  You have to distance yourself.

Not over-thinking everything or constantly dwelling on every physical problem/ailment - but focusing on the solutions is the way to go.    Tough love focuses on the solutions not past food failures.   

Holding onto grudges increases the stress reponse.  Letting go of grudges will improve your health. Immediately.  

Those that hold onto grudges or unforgiveness can immediately recall the offense and pull it back up. Daily.  Using food to shove these emotions down results in more stress response.

It takes true grit to face the music.  Turn around and look at where you got stuck.  It could have been more than decade or a few years ago.   You may have to set your will and choose to forgive every single day.   Forgiveness is transcendent. 

Those that can't forgive are really afraid of losing control.  But that kind of control will really mess up your relationship with food.   Making excuses or huge rationalizations why you must remain stuck for the rest of your life and allowing others or grudges/unforgiveness to keep you there forever is living in the past.   

I choose to forgive.   Every day.   I set my will to forgive.  It's a huge part of Food Freedom for me.

When you're putting yourself out there, showing others vs. telling...you open yourself up to all kinds of comments from everyone. 

You'll have to be ready for it and learn how to respond without more stress for yourself.   It takes practice, practice, practice.  When you make big changes in your life, it gives other people a big pinch. They may have liked you the old way because the new way makes them feel they've lost control over you.

Learning to respond without anger or getting your undies in a bundle is a skill but you want that. Food Freedom means knocking all of the props out from underneath yourself and using food as your go-to-everything.  You will be visible and people will see you in a new light without your insulated cover-alls on.

You're wide open but not a moving target.  No siree.  No more bullseye on your forehead. Nuh huh.   You're free from control and manipulation - with food and others.

When you're no longer eating all the things to shove your emotions down with food...it will leave some baffled but those who really love you will show you that they do. 

Showing vs. Telling.

Have you ever known parents, spouses, siblings, friends who are so busy telling you what to do but their own backyard is a tee-total wreck. Secretly, they can't manage their life but they want to control yours.

Very, very telling.   ;) 

Without that control, they completely fall apart.  When you take away their power over you, they may get angry and throw a ring-tailed fit.  Telling.  So telling.

Kids who've lived with a heavy hand, always being told what to do may run away from home. Spouses who endure constantly being told how to behave and act and think and speak...they run away from home, too.

Friends who are sooooo bossy and domineering find themselves sitting alone.  No one wants to be constantly told what do to do and how to go about it in a very controlling way.

Showing and helping = Love.   

Constant control is like a dripping sink.  It will drive you cray cray.  Give people back their freedom. Food freedom is related to everything.   Those that have been controlled or even abused will rebel.  They usually take it out on themselves and suffer the consequences.

Identify the place and time where you got stuck.  Take a good hard look at  it and knock all of the props out.  It's fear that keeps you from succeeding.

Forgive those who've hurt you in the past, today and in the future.  Choose to forgive but don't let them marsh your mellow.   You are so worth it.   Your life is so worth it.  Every day is filled with so worth it moments.

Highly engineered to be craved foods and carefully tuned snacks =  Baked Goods.  Homemade or taken straight off the shelf.  

Baked Goods = The bane of many lifelong dieters.  Dieting and falling back into bowls of cookie dough, bread dough, homemade everything or grocery store multi-crap. 

Ooooo,  and adding flaxseeds to homemade baked goods....another bad idea.

Flax seeds are high in omega 3 fatty acids, which happen to be good in their raw, unprocessed form but the chemical nature of omega 3s render them extremely sensitive to heat, light and air.

Heating ground flax seeds results in a loss of nutrients and – here’s the sux part – creates free radicals.

Baked Goods with or without seeds are highly addictive.  They're so attractive that some will budget entire weekends for baked goods.   You can start over every Monday thinking that Bakery Weekends will solve all of your problems with food.   They won't.  That's imaginary. 

Bakery Budgeting is cumulative.  It doesn't matter if you're Paleo 80/20 or 60/40....after many weekends of Bakery Budgeting,  there's a cumulative effect in the body and mind. Your relationship with food is still knocking up against the rocks.

You're still in Food Prison.   Eating all the things is not Food Freedom.  It's binge or thrill eating with reckless abandon.  It's not true love.   Its a teenage crush that is still stuck.  

The perfect Paleo drink is a Paleo Margarita with 100% agave tequila.  So if you must drink, drinking tequila is a thang and another one-trick pony.  Paleo can mean any and everything. There are Paleo Margarita menus. Baked goods and dairy queen on the weekends with tequila shooters.  60/40.   50/50.

Most Paleo is imaginary. No one owns that term.

I've read many blogs of Paleo do's and don'ts.  Some are similar to W30 with tequila and tobacco chemicals to fix your brain.  Imaginary wellness.  There is so much koolaid drinking that it's hard to see the forest for the trees. 

Whole 30 is easily understood.  Paleo is complicated and mostly imaginary.

7123bbb7382498b7668aae5954d332b58bf7d949

Archived