Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Frankly, it's hard to rage gracefully.  For many, it's hard to age gracefully, too.  Surrender is not a popular concept in the fitness arena.

There is an optimum setpoint when it comes to weight.   The point being that taking off more body weight will not dramatically change running or hiking abilities and back/hips/knees tolerance of said running abilities.

The optimum setpoint is as good as it gets now and for the foreseeable future.   When you keep running with bulging discs and pinched nerves, bone spurs and arthritis  it's living in fantasyland to think that more running will offset those conditions or that you're simply working on building a better core. 

Yea, verily I say unto you ...if you have serious problems,  TREAD LIGHTLY or Treadmill Lightly.   It can be darned hard to give up the things you want to do because your body can't do them anymore.  And giving up doing them gracefully....HA!  I don't know anyone who embraces the term of aging gracefully.   That's a bunch of hooey, too.

For 1.5 years,  I've been tooling along with Whole 30 to reach my optimum setpoint.   I don't have bulging discs, bone spurs, plantar fasciitis or worn out knees.   I won't run faster unless I run faster.   My back and knees would adapt--they've adapted so far, right?

Doing more speedwork would would reengage me with the pace chase. But I'm not going to.   Limits suck and injuries can last forever.

I'm going to keep on tooling along with Whole 30.   Yes,  I know it's only 30 days but I've been working on reaching my optimum setpoint due to health issues and that burning desire and passion in my heart.

Sometimes, I'm tired of giving up things.   There's a long line of things I've had to give up to reach this point.   I'm no quitter and part of me is HARDCORE.   Was it worth it?  Absolutely.   I stay in my own lane and it is enough.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To say I am animal nutty is to understate my personality by several thousand degrees.  I constantly rail against the shorter life spans of our pets. It is patently unfair, isn't it?   I could complain about this forever but it doesn't change the fact that they don't live/get near as long as they deserve.

If you don't conduct a proper reintroduction phase you are not taking a good hard look at yourself.  You can fall back into making some huge rationalizations. Sugar withdrawal is miserable.   Alcoholics feel the same angst, internal struggle and urges towards rationalization while imagining a life of no margaritas with nachos, no guiness with pizza, no wine with popcorn.   Like for real, for REAL giving them up.

It's difficult for humans to embrace the concept of never because of those old cravings.   The entirety of life is just too huge for many to contemplate without the comfort of food.

However, on  a one day at a time basis I can't remember the last time I had those suckers...old play foods that get you nowhere good.   They made my life a living hail and really, who needs that?

But every day I make the decision not to eat comfort foods that decision does get easier.   I eat whole foods without limiting quantity.   This is exactly the strategy I've used and I swear it broke the play foods cycle for me.  I ate like a king the whole month of my Whole 30 which was a long time ago.   

At this point,  I still eat all healthy, non-trigger foods.  I know it's made all of the difference in the world for me.

You have to want this with everything within your being.   I may laugh entirely too much but I complain much, much less.   I am compliant without complaint. You don't want to find yourself caught between completely overreaching and totally underachieving. 

That's what a thrill eating full-on food bender is.   Trying on your play foods every few days to see if they still fit is a disaster.  There is a spiritual component about a Whole 30.  If you haven't found it...dig down deeper into your soul.

Body.  Mind.  Spirit.   Without the soul, you may find yourself going through the motions for the rest of your life.   Thrill eating cycles - bouncing in and out of gung-ho and ho-hum.  That ain't no way to go.

Reach beyond the every day coasting on your old habits that brought you here in the first place.   Catch some "can't fool myself realism".   That may take longer than 30 days but if you don't engage the body, mind and spirit - you may shorten your life span.   Our pets are not just dogs.   We are not just humans.

Hutlifr.  Thank you for asking.   I've followed Tom's recipe for success.  I am still tooling along and not concerned about the pace chase.   He's told all of us over the years to just simply keep going until you reach your optimum setpoint.

When we get there, the body is amazing and it will adapt to that setpoint.  I want what Tom has.  Weight stability.   I'm going to keep following the trail that he has blazed as a Whole 30 Pioneer.  There is absolutely no other branded diet in the world that has helped me reach where I am today.  There has been no other Moderator human that has helped me as much as he has.   I'm not blowing smoke.  I mean it.

I'm not about to change a WINNING GAME.   I can remember my first Whole 30 days like yesterday.   All of the feelings that rise up and old memories.  Talk about a trip.   I'm still trippin' and I'm not about to throw it all away for desserts and sugar and whopping boatloads of multi-crap.   Ahhhhh, Hail NOOOooooo!!!

You know me better than that.   When I get to where I'm going - that won't be the end game.  I want what Tom is having.   Weight stability.   Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire....Ooooo what a TRUE THRILL that will be.

That's quite possible but you've been through the wringer and stress does all kinds of things. People don't call it the Big D. diet for nothing when they're going through a major relationship breakup or having surgery, brand new job and boss, big move...any number of those events cause abby normal weight releasing.

When the body settles back down...the proper weight usually comes back after the major stressors are gone. Yours could be an overload of stress.   Been there, done that.    It can swing both ways...stress eating or stress weight loss.  

Give it some time if you don't want anymore weight releasing.   Make sure you're eating your 3 whole foods meals.   You look absolutely wonderful but you know what your setpoint should be...give or take a few. 

Law and behold! I forgot the stress factors!... My whole life I gained weight when stressing. But it's a challenge at times to fit 3 meals into my short days, respecting the 6 hr break in between meals, and not eating within 1.5 hr of going to bed. I sleep 10 hours average...

I'm the opposite.  Huge stressors and I can't eat.   Happy = eat   all   the   things.  Especially when someone is a fabulous cook/chef.   Oooo brother.   Stress = forgetting to eat.

I haven't been stress eating in 1.5  years and believe you me...I've had some things to be stressed about.  Stress has worked to my advantage or  I simply have too much to deal with.   We've shared and you know what I'm talking about.  Vice versa.

I believe Whole 30 has gotten both of us through some super serious times.  Can you imagine if we were letting snack storms of potato chips and cheetos sweep us off of our feet?   Downward spiral.

I am not sure where I would be, at this point in my life, without whole30. Probably very sick, and totally unable to deal with what I am dealing with. I feed not only my body with healthy food, but my soul also. I still wish I could have done something to save my mate, but that was not the masterplan. i wanna convert my whole grieving group to this type of eating....

What I want to know is why people peel half the potato? Is it just aesthetics? Or does it serve some sort of potato-purpose?

I have to say I have NEVER seen anyone do this in real life.

There is even a joke about it here:

A wife phones her husband & says she'll be late home from work. She says it would be helpful if he could help her prepare tea. He asks what he can do to help & she says 'Well there's a bag of potatoes on the counter - you could peel half of them...'

Now that was funny right there!   Humor, humor, humor.  Maintain a sense of humor.  It makes life tolerable even through the really rough patches.   Without humor...what would I be.   Don't answer that,  jmcbn.   Don't even go there.   

Without humor,  we're wallowing in the mud and eating dirt sandwiches every single day.   The simple nonnegotiable principles for having fun....laugh at yourself and remember this world is temporary.

How we treat people through our difficult times makes us stronger.  I'm here for the end game. Share some good laughs.     Some One is watching.   Sees all...how we act and encourage others.

Some just come by it naturally, they understand social cues and respond with grace.  Others...it might take 30 days to be sweeter and kinder to the WHOLE 30 human race.

"There are only 2 races of men.   Decent men and indecent men."  Viktor Frankl, Auschwitz Survivor.

I have to say I have NEVER seen anyone do this in real life.

There is even a joke about it here:

A wife phones her husband & says she'll be late home from work. She says it would be helpful if he could help her prepare tea. He asks what he can do to help & she says 'Well there's a bag of potatoes on the counter - you could peel half of them...'

About peeling half potatoes yes it's for esthetics... Like when you peel your squash lengthwise, like leaving stripes... Pretty... I saw it in real life :)

I've never seen a stripy Squash either - I've obviously led a very sheltered life  :P 

I rarely peel anything these days - I just give everything a good scrub, chop & roast..... It saves so much time, & finger nails!!  :ph34r:

• Administrators

About peeling half potatoes yes it's for esthetics... Like when you peel your squash lengthwise, like leaving stripes... Pretty... I saw it in real life :)

Never heard of anyone doing this to squash either.  I guess similar to grating the tines of a fork down the length of a cucumber?  That I do!

• 1 month later...

Archived