Starting August 11

AJoyfulMelody

Guess what! 2 months ago I had an ABM 24 hour blood pressure monitor on and my blood pressure was sitting between 150-170/90-100 all day!!!!! My doc told me I must change my Bp pills to a combo (currently on the highest dosage) as the ones I'm on weren't working... Got my Bp done today at the chemist and it was 121/84!!! Wow! It hasn't been that low for years! I'm so excited!!! Just 22 days in! :)

Ps I didn't change my Bp pills I thought I would try this first :)

My doc also said I must loose weight too.... Still waiting for my clothes to be looser...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time next week it'll be DAY 30!!!  That first week I wasn't sure that I could make it but now I feel I've gotten into my stride and have a lot more energy.  I would normally be a couch potato after work but now I feel more motivated to get things done around the house and get out and about.

I tend to plan my food a week in advance so I've been planning my reintroduction and have a plan for 16 days:

Day 1: Dairy

Day 4: Non-gluten grains (hubbie's taking me out for sushi but I'm bringing my own coconut aminos!)

Day 7: Gluten

Day 11: Off road day (going out with friends)

Day 14: Soy

I will definitely eat Whole30 most of the time, at least 5 days a week but with the reintroduction I want to see how each of the foods affect me so that I can be more educated as to my choices when I'm eating out either at friends or in restaurants.

However, after the first week drinking black tea I moved onto black coffee, which I normally drink with milk and stevia - I'm not going back - I'm sticking with black coffee!

This time next week it'll be DAY 30!!!  That first week I wasn't sure that I could make it but now I feel I've gotten into my stride and have a lot more energy.  I would normally be a couch potato after work but now I feel more motivated to get things done around the house and get out and about.

I tend to plan my food a week in advance so I've been planning my reintroduction and have a plan for 16 days:

Day 1: Dairy

Day 4: Non-gluten grains (hubbie's taking me out for sushi but I'm bringing my own coconut aminos!)

Day 7: Gluten

Day 11: Off road day (going out with friends)

Day 14: Soy

I will definitely eat Whole30 most of the time, at least 5 days a week but with the reintroduction I want to see how each of the foods affect me so that I can be more educated as to my choices when I'm eating out either at friends or in restaurants.

However, after the first week drinking black tea I moved onto black coffee, which I normally drink with milk and stevia - I'm not going back - I'm sticking with black coffee!

Let us know how your reintroduction goes! I'm continuing the whole30 until Oct.1st, but I feel so much better that my reintro plan and eating will probably similar to what you've described :)

Hello :)

I wanted to post my meals today to see what you think? Maybe this is why I'm not loosing weight?

Breakfast.

Stir fried spinach, zucchini, cabbage with coconut oil, coconut aminos, salt, pepper, mixed herbs, 2 poached eggs, half avocado, coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch.

Left over stir fried veges from breakfast, 2 bora bora pork fireball rissoles from the 'well fed' Cook book, half avocado

Dinner.

Salad with carrot, olives, kale, lettuce, tomato, spinach, walnuts.. Dressed with balsamic. 2 lamb chops

Tonight I had dessert but this is not usual... I've only had dessert on two other nights...

Dessert.... Stewed (with rose water) apple, raspberry, pear with cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg. Topped with slithered almonds, dried coconut and coconut cream. (Yum!)

Occasionally I will have a snack during the day... Usually nuts or a drink with coconut cream.

I eat more veges than salad and hardly ever eat fruit. Struggling to drink more than a litre of water a day with work...

What do you think??? If anything I'm feeling bloated again the last couple of days. All my meat is organic or at least grass fed. I haven't been eating fish... Thinking I should... Not a big fan though.

Well, Day 22 was rough.  Only because just as I was finishing my delish lunch of grass feed beef meatballs and compliant sweet and spicy bbq sauce - I totally threw it all up.  Not sure if it was food poisoning, stomach bug or allergic reaction but I'm leaning towards food poisoning.  I've managed to keep down all foods today but not much sounds appealing.  Sadly, I think my new fondness for eggs (breakfast) is over.  Right now I am picking all the noodles out of a bowl of chicken noodle soup as it was the only thing that sounded appetizing.  Oh the things we do to stay compliant on the Whole30.

Heather - I am so sorry you were sick, that is not fun!  I hope today is better for you.

I cannot  beleive it is day 23, the past 3 weeks have gone by fast and slow at the same time.   I am dpending on bacon a little more than I should lately....but it makes me happy so I am having it with breakfast more often.

B - bAcOn, eggs, arugala, avocado

L - ham, spinach, cucumbers, avocado

D - steak, green beans, roasted sweet potatoes, coconut milk

Heather - I am so sorry you were sick, that is not fun!  I hope today is better for you.

I cannot  beleive it is day 23, the past 3 weeks have gone by fast and slow at the same time.   I am dpending on bacon a little more than I should lately....but it makes me happy so I am having it with breakfast more often.

B - bAcOn, eggs, arugala, avocado

L - ham, spinach, cucumbers, avocado

D - steak, green beans, roasted sweet potatoes, coconut milk

So Jealous that you can find compliant bacon, in Alaska... there is no such thing that I've found!

Day 25!  I had to look that one up, it feels quite normal now.  And people are starting to notice at work, even the ones that don't know I'm on the Whole30.

Let us know how your reintroduction goes! I'm continuing the whole30 until Oct.1st, but I feel so much better that my reintro plan and eating will probably similar to what you've described :)

I did want to extend mine too but since I was feeling so much better, more energy, I don't think that it's Tiger Blood though, I was curious as to what effect the reintroduction would have on me.  But I'll definitely be posting in one of the Reintroduction/ Post Whole30 forums.  Would be great to hear how everyone else doing whether it's reintro or continuation.  My plan is then to see how I do and then do another Whole30 in January.

Megsmoo, maybe cut out the nuts for a few days?  And as you said, some fish, maybe oily fish like salmon would help?

Heather, hope that you're feeling better.

Cathjm - I am feeling back to normal.  Thank you.

I know - it's Day 25!  Only 5 days left.  I can't hardly believe it.  Like you said, the energy is good, but no Tiger Blood yet.  I am too am planning on another Whole30, probably in January as well.

I had 4 different people tell me yesterday/today that they can tell I am losing weight by my face.  One was my hair dresser who only sees me every 6-8 weeks or so.  So it is noticeable on me too.

I'm kinda confused as to whether I have lost weight or not, my pants seem loose and my bra I went from having to hook on the outer hooks to hooking it on the inner ones. But i don't feel like I've lost weight, if that makes any sense? I don't know if I'm so addicted to the scale that I have to see the number to validate it, but I sure hope not. I'm even half tempted to not weigh myself, not weighing myself daily has been sooooooooo freeing. I got to the point where I was weighing myself in the morning and at night and would be hugely depressed when I weighed more at night which mentally is totally ridiculous, but it happened none the less. 

I feel good most the time, if I don't get enough sleep or eat enough I can still be grumpy and moody but I feel more happy most the time than before. I'm not really sure what my plan is, I wanted to do a whole 45 or 60 but I'm not sure our finances can handle it right now. But I'm also thinking eating "clean" and whole 30 aren't really all that different. I know this much, I do not want to go back to my 12 pack of soda/bag of chips a week addiction. I have to admit I am a bit reluctant to start introducing things back in for fear I'll go right back to my old habits, is anyone else feeling the same way?

I'm kinda confused as to whether I have lost weight or not, my pants seem loose and my bra I went from having to hook on the outer hooks to hooking it on the inner ones. But i don't feel like I've lost weight, if that makes any sense? I don't know if I'm so addicted to the scale that I have to see the number to validate it, but I sure hope not. I'm even half tempted to not weigh myself, not weighing myself daily has been sooooooooo freeing. I got to the point where I was weighing myself in the morning and at night and would be hugely depressed when I weighed more at night which mentally is totally ridiculous, but it happened none the less. 

I feel good most the time, if I don't get enough sleep or eat enough I can still be grumpy and moody but I feel more happy most the time than before. I'm not really sure what my plan is, I wanted to do a whole 45 or 60 but I'm not sure our finances can handle it right now. But I'm also thinking eating "clean" and whole 30 aren't really all that different. I know this much, I do not want to go back to my 12 pack of soda/bag of chips a week addiction. I have to admit I am a bit reluctant to start introducing things back in for fear I'll go right back to my old habits, is anyone else feeling the same way?

The reintroduction is worrisome for me too. I slipped off the paleo wagon about a year ago and fell hard. Don't want to go back to that...but without the regiment of Whole30, could easily happen. Once I start feeling better, I tend to give myself more leeway than I should. Another 30 is in my plans soon.

I have already been planning on doing another Whole30 maybe in January, but now you've raised my doubts and am thinking October might be better.  I'm worried about getting carried away with Thanksgiving and Christmas so maybe I should do another now and another after the first of the year.  Oh geez, I'm not even done with this one and I'm worried about the next one.

4 days left after today!  I'm nervous about reintroduction too but I'm trying to plan it as much as I was planning the Whole30 the week or two before the start.  So my reintroduction is planned to last another 16 days, 4 days non-compliant and 12 days compliant.

My plan is to keep Whole30 compliant at home all the time but I want to reintroduce things to see how those foods make me feel to see whether those foods are worth eating when I'm at friends or eating out.  If not then I'll try to eliminate them.

Have you seen Melissa's question and answer about reintroduction?

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

My worry about going off the Whole30 is not being able to put the brakes on.  The office had a pizza lunch and they had all the pizzas on the table right next to where I work.  It smelt good but I was able to resist and I think the only cravings I had were because I was hungry as I hadn't yet had my lunch, luckily I had a really nice salad and Melissa Joulwan's best chicken ever in the fridge!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Okay y'all, I have a confession to make. Ugh.

My doctor called and really wanted me to come in to take the blood test that I needed to retake. It was my 'fasting blood glucose' because she felt I was/am pre diabetic. I had told her I wanted to try this first before I listened to her speech about meds. So, because I'm feeling so darn great, my waist is at least 2 inches smaller, and my bra is feeling too big, I said, "sure"! I thought, "I'll show her"!  :P

I went in and the nurse drew my blood and then said, "honey, we really should weigh you too". My curiosity got the best of me and I hopped right on the scale. (I DID feel guilty, but I couldn't resist. ) While the scale made me happy, I've been feeling terrible and I just had to confess.  :(

On top of that, my results came in today and my blood tests are awful!!!  :wacko:  Now,....what am I going to do?? Does this get addressed somewhere on the site that I haven't found yet?  I'm just devastated. 

Sorry.

My doctor called and really wanted me to come in to take the blood test that I needed to retake. It was my 'fasting blood glucose' because she felt I was/am pre diabetic. I had told her I wanted to try this first before I listened to her speech about meds. So, because I'm feeling so darn great, my waist is at least 2 inches smaller, and my bra is feeling too big, I said, "sure"! I thought, "I'll show her"!  :P

I went in and the nurse drew my blood and then said, "honey, we really should weigh you too". My curiosity got the best of me and I hopped right on the scale. (I DID feel guilty, but I couldn't resist. ) While the scale made me happy, I've been feeling terrible and I just had to confess.  :(

On top of that, my results came in today and my blood tests are awful!!!  :wacko:  Now,....what am I going to do?? Does this get addressed somewhere on the site that I haven't found yet?  I'm just devastated. 

Sorry.

My personal trainer had me do the same thing, so you're not alone! 

I'm not sure about your blood test results though :/ That's a bummer! 

Sorry.

What was awful about your blood tests? Just curious... I was/am prediabetic also

I would go and put a post in troubleshooting Whole30 maybe?

I can't wait to weigh myself, but i'm scared to also! argh! I do know I've lost inches so maybe i shouldn't even bother weighing myself when I'm done. Except..... it would drive me insane not to know!

Sorry.

Did you have blood work done before? Wondering if your results were similar to before the Whole30? I don't know much about the medical side, but wonder if it may take more than 30 days to make drastic changes to the numbers. Will certainly send you any info I come across on the topic.

Hang in there.....lots to celebrate!

Sorry.

Same as Ashley, my personal trainer weighed me too!  If it's a physician weighing you then I wouldn't worry about it.

Are your blood test results worse than before?  Is your doctor supportive of dietary changes?

Thanks ladies!  :)

To answer your questions, ....

1) Yes, I had blood work before I started and that's what has given me the will power to do it. I want to avoid meds at all cost.

2) Yes, my doctor is very supportive and loves learning with me as she is increasing her knowledge in functional medicine. :)

3) Yes, my results are worse. My cholesterol went sky high, my glucose went up several points, and my cardiac sensitivity test showed me to be at a higher risk than before.  :(  :angry:

***UPDATE***

~My doctor emailed me and said that this is not the first time she has had a patient "go Paleo" and their blood work looked bad/worse. She said to hang in there because those who have see results that "level out". She suggested paying attention to the amount of red meat versus fish that I eat and to make sure I'm getting a good variety of veggies and not eating the same ones all of the time.

So, I have decided to complete this Whole 30 and make it a Whole 60 after which I will simply continue with the Paleo diet eating limited amounts of dairy. (provided I have no issues after re-introduction)

Thanks again for all of your support!  ;)

bizzemommie, so glad to hear that you have an enlightened doctor who is on board with you.  Good luck with the Whole60, hopefully your blood work will show some improvement after 60 days.

Can't believe we've gotten all the way to Day 28!  I am starting to get a little tired of the food I'm eating.  I think along with the reintroduction of dairy and non-gluten grains next week I'm going to have to investigate other recipes to add to get more variety.  I am happy though, my fridge is now very organised with fresh food gradually getting prepared and boxed up over the weekend ready for the week ahead.

I ate out for only the second time in the past 28 days yesterday.  We went to a pub for lunch and I'd looked up their menu beforehand and there was a salad that looked compliant.  Unfortunately it wasn't on their menu yesterday.  So the only other thing compliant on their menu was a burger, which I had bunless and a salad.  Had to send it back the first time after they put dressing on the salad when I'd specifically asked it to be left off.  Couldn't risk the sugar in the dressing.  I did bring my own though as otherwise it could have been a bit dry.  Burger pattie was good though but I was hungry after, not enough food :( plus we went for a walk and swim after lunch so I had some smoked salmon between the walk and swim to keep me going.  And a good portion of sweet potato for dinner.

Day 29 - can you believe it?  One more day until reintroduction.  And weigh in day of course.  I've got some good recipes just waiting for reintroduction.

Over the weekend I talked to 3 different people about my success on Whole30 and they sounded interested in trying out the program.  The program speaks for itself when you can obviously see the results I have achieved in less than the 30 days.

I went to a pot luck at my church on Sunday.  I would have taken a dish but was caught off guard by it.  There was delicious BBQ chicken (no sauce) and the only other thing that I know was compliant was the veggie tray.  I was still satisfied when I left, but man did some of those casseroles look good enough to eat.  And I think the dessert table was just as big as the hot dish table.  I just walked right by those desserts not even giving them a second look.

Have a great Day 29 everyone.  Can't wait to see all your results on Day 30.

Day 29!  I definitely can't believe it!

I don't think that I've managed to persuade anyone to start eating like this even though it seems like half the office is on a diet.  They're just clinging onto their bread, pasta and dairy for dear life!

Will start posting to the Post-Whole30 board from Wednesday!

I can't believe it's day 29 either! The first week I thought there was no way I'd ever make it through 30 days. I am falling into the "well it's been 28 days so that's close enough" mindset a little bit, but I need to stick with it for just 2 more days! well less than 2 days now actually. 

I don't know that I've persuaded anyone to start eating like this, but my coworker was asking about it and has decided to cut out sugar from her diet. But when she heard there wasn't corn allowed she proclaimed she couldn't live without her popcorn, so to each their own. 

I'm probably going to continue to do a "modified" whole 30 for a while after this, I'm not going to worry about the minimal amounts of sugar in stuff like sausage and bacon, I know they make compliant ones but so far I can't get them in Alaska and spending 30-50 dollars extra for shipping them to Alaska is a bit more than we can afford to do. I'm not a huge bacon and sausage eater anyways so the times that I chose to have it, I'm not going to worry about that "less than 2% of sugar", we were able to find nitrate free so I figure that's good enough. 

Also, we found out last night we're getting our share of a cow this winter, we'll get somewhere around 150-200lbs of grassfed beef in November  :D. While it's a bit of an investment all at once it should last us a good long while and it runs about $5.50/lb. which for hamburger is kinda steep but for steaks and roasts is cheap compared to the store prices. We're also getting part of a caribou and moose from my cousin who went hunting this year. 

Still feeling nervous about stepping on the scale, I've really enjoyed it not being a part of my daily routine anymore, so i'll probably have my fiance hide it again once I weigh myself. 

Archived