Starting August 11

AJoyfulMelody

Woohoo more than half way there!!!! Feeling great and I definitely can see a difference in how I look! I still feel very sluggish by time I get home though. I cut out my second cup of coffee at the beginning of this with the intention of eventually cutting out both but After two weeks I'm still not feeling any better and I'm honestly thinking about going back to two cups a day....

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I bought natural calm at a nearby Sprouts and decided to wait 1 more day to take it....weird thing is that I am sleeping thru the night without leg wiggles and haven't even taken it! It is a miracle!

I can't believe it's already day 15 for me. I have been so busy with work the days kind of blurred by.

I am also worried about reintroductions. I look forward to a nice smooth glass of red someday but fear it will lead to 2.... Then 3.... And then poor food choices! Taking it in stride. I'm actually relieved that there is still another 1/2 left for me to reset because I have some wine habits to really focus on!

A much needed 3 day weekend coming up sonn ....woohoo!

Day 18 and almost two thirds the way through! I can't believe that I've lived with sugar, dairy, grains and legumes for 18 days and apart from the first week, I don't feel deprived.

Sleep is definitely better than the first week, almost back to normal but I do need to be better and get to bed earlier.  There's just been quite a lot going on recently as the husband is going through his professional qualifications so I'm having to pick up a lot more around the house.  He's also been snacking on cookies and crisps and doesn't feel good for it so, from Monday, his diet is going to get a lot more clean.  He's still determined to have milk and cheese though so not a proper Whole30!

Yeah for those with improved sleep that is awesome!  I am in that camp too :)  I had a lull days 11-17 but feel so much more alive and refreshed now.  I made a big crockpot of pork yesterday and I have to say new, yummy food makes sticking with this so much easier!

Today:

M- kale, eggs, avocado

L - chicken, salad, tomatoes, avocado, nuts

D - pork, broccoli, squash, fruit of some sort

I'm doing well, but I've noticed lately I am getting hungry between lunch and dinner, especially on days I go to school. On these days I have lunch around 11:30 but don't eat dinner until 6:30-7, so either I'm not getting enough fat or I'm waiting too long to eat. So I think I will take a mini meal with me back to work and eat it so I don't feel like I'm starving by the time I get dinner. 

Here's an example of what I ate yesterday

1 - 2 small boneless pork chops cooked in ghee, 3 cups of mixed veggies sauteed in coconut oil (sweet potato, zuchinni squash, mushrooms, and yellow and orange peppers)

2 - Large taco salad, so like 1/4 head of lettuce, 1.5 palm size portions of taco meat, heaping handful of olives and a few spoonfuls of salsa

3 - Blanched green beans, baked sweet potato fries (1/2 of a medium sweet potato baked in coconut oil), and 2 Adelle's Chicken Apple Sausages

I had a banana and a small handful of nuts between meal 2 and 3 because I felt like I was going to throw up if I waited any longer to eat. 

Does that look about right? I'm only concerned about being hungry because when I started this I wasn't at all, I am afraid maybe I'm not eating enough fats. I cook with it but rarely add it after cooking is done. What do you guys think?

I also made bone broth over the last two days, it was finished last night and I used leftover steak from earlier in the week and all the leftover veggies we have to make a vegetable beef soup. Had that for breakfast since both me and my fiance have colds right now I thought it might help. It turned out pretty good and was soothing on my sore throat. 

I'm doing well, but I've noticed lately I am getting hungry between lunch and dinner, especially on days I go to school. On these days I have lunch around 11:30 but don't eat dinner until 6:30-7, so either I'm not getting enough fat or I'm waiting too long to eat. So I think I will take a mini meal with me back to work and eat it so I don't feel like I'm starving by the time I get dinner. 

1 - 2 small boneless pork chops cooked in ghee, 3 cups of mixed veggies sauteed in coconut oil (sweet potato, zuchinni squash, mushrooms, and yellow and orange peppers)

2 - Large taco salad, so like 1/4 head of lettuce, 1.5 palm size portions of taco meat, heaping handful of olives and a few spoonfuls of salsa

3 - Blanched green beans, baked sweet potato fries (1/2 of a medium sweet potato baked in coconut oil), and 2 Adelle's Chicken Apple Sausages

I had a banana and a small handful of nuts between meal 2 and 3 because I felt like I was going to throw up if I waited any longer to eat. 

Does that look about right? I'm only concerned about being hungry because when I started this I wasn't at all, I am afraid maybe I'm not eating enough fats. I cook with it but rarely add it after cooking is done. What do you guys think?

I also made bone broth over the last two days, it was finished last night and I used leftover steak from earlier in the week and all the leftover veggies we have to make a vegetable beef soup. Had that for breakfast since both me and my fiance have colds right now I thought it might help. It turned out pretty good and was soothing on my sore throat. 

My first couple times trying this (and even now), I noticed if I didn't get enough fat in the actual meal (like after I was done cooking) then I would get a headache/feel just "down..." try adding a little bit of more fat to your meals and see what happens/if it improves. Good luck! 

I think adding a mini meal between meals 2 and 3 would be fine for you. 7 hours is a long stretch. That said you could probably add more vegetables to your taco salad. 1/4 of a head of lettuce really isn't a lot. Think about how much that would be cooked down. Often when salad is my meal I use an entire head of lettuce. 

I think adding a mini meal between meals 2 and 3 would be fine for you. 7 hours is a long stretch. That said you could probably add more vegetables to your taco salad. 1/4 of a head of lettuce really isn't a lot. Think about how much that would be cooked down. Often when salad is my meal I use an entire head of lettuce. 

I totally never thought of it that way, mostly I eat cooked veggies and I do find them more filling, but you're right, lettuce cooked down would be a lot less than what i'm eating! I'm not sure I could eat a whole head of lettuce in one sitting but I can prepare it and save what I don't eat for my mini meal! thanks so much!

Day 19!  And I had the most vivid chocolate cake dream last night.  I even dreamt that I had to come onto this forum and come clean that I had to start from Day 1 because I stuffed my face with chocolate cake!  I was so glad when I woke up that it hadn't happened.  I then come into work and there are posh treats from somewhere in Europe but I had no inclination to help myself.

Very almost the weekend, have a good one everyone.

Day 19!  And I had the most vivid chocolate cake dream last night.  I even dreamt that I had to come onto this forum and come clean that I had to start from Day 1 because I stuffed my face with chocolate cake!  I was so glad when I woke up that it hadn't happened.  I then come into work and there are posh treats from somewhere in Europe but I had no inclination to help myself.

Very almost the weekend, have a good one everyone.

Oh my gosh! This happened to me for the first time last night. IT WAS AWFUL! :wacko: I too was very upset that I was going to have to come to y'all and tell you about my failure. I woke up and have NEVER felt so GOOD about NOT eating ice cream!  Honestly, I can't believe I've made it this far. With the children around me (my 8 at home and the 20+ I work with at a daycare) eating snacks all of the time,....it's because of y'all and this forum that I have made it this far. Thank you for the support.  

I am looking forward to this holiday weekend, even having friends over, with plenty of foods I can enjoy!  :)

Weird! I had my first "food" dream last night too. I was sitting around a kitchen table with friends and all of a sudden I realized I was drinking a Coke! Funny thing is, I never drink Coke. If anything, it woulda been a Pepsi, which I probably have 1 every 6 months, if that often. I felt so disappointed with myself that I had gone 19 days and was going to hafta start all over! And I too was very relieved when I woke up from that dream, or was it a nightmare?? LOL!

Hey has anyone had a problem with negative responses from family/friends?

Long story short my supposed best friend kinda nit picks at everything I do. Anyway my doctor recommend I try the Whole 30 and do the re-intro to see if my digestive problems were of any specific cause, so I didn't just pick this out of thin air, it came from my doctor. 

Anyways, here on day 19 of it, he decides to throw a tantrum about me doing this, calling it stupid and telling me i'm just doing another fad diet and the next thing i know i'll "only be eating yellow and pink foods." Then he further informed me that all I ever do are "stupid diets that never work and get fatter and fatter." I'm a bit hurt needless to say, but has anyone else ran into this criticism? How did you deal with it?

I've mostly told people outside of my fiance and close friends that I'm doing an elimination trial thing to determine my food sensitivities because I've had so many problems after having my gall bladder removed.

My knee jerk reaction is to tell him to f-off and ignore him for a few weeks/months/years. The kind of ironic thing is he's doing a "extremely low carb" diet and lost 40lbs, yet routinely tells me how he's eating pancakes and fallen off the wagon again.

*sigh* my feelings are hurt mostly but I'm kinda pissed that he'd just jump to conclusions on something he knows nothing about

Hey has anyone had a problem with negative responses from family/friends?

Long story short my supposed best friend kinda nit picks at everything I do. Anyway my doctor recommend I try the Whole 30 and do the re-intro to see if my digestive problems were of any specific cause, so I didn't just pick this out of thin air, it came from my doctor. 

Anyways, here on day 19 of it, he decides to throw a tantrum about me doing this, calling it stupid and telling me i'm just doing another fad diet and the next thing i know i'll "only be eating yellow and pink foods." Then he further informed me that all I ever do are "stupid diets that never work and get fatter and fatter." I'm a bit hurt needless to say, but has anyone else ran into this criticism? How did you deal with it?

I've mostly told people outside of my fiance and close friends that I'm doing an elimination trial thing to determine my food sensitivities because I've had so many problems after having my gall bladder removed.

My knee jerk reaction is to tell him to f-off and ignore him for a few weeks/months/years. The kind of ironic thing is he's doing a "extremely low carb" diet and lost 40lbs, yet routinely tells me how he's eating pancakes and fallen off the wagon again.

*sigh* my feelings are hurt mostly but I'm kinda pissed that he'd just jump to conclusions on something he knows nothing about

Wow with friends like that who needs enemies. I'd tell him very calmly and rationally that you are trying something for your health that your doctor recommended and that if he can not support you or at least keep his mouth shut about it than he is not your friend and leave the ball in his court. 

Wow with friends like that who needs enemies. I'd tell him very calmly and rationally that you are trying something for your health that your doctor recommended and that if he can not support you or at least keep his mouth shut about it than he is not your friend and leave the ball in his court. 

I'm still leaning towards f-off, but i'm calming down some  ;)

I'm still leaning towards f-off, but i'm calming down some  ;)

The 24 hour rule helps! Don't let his tantrum get you down....that is more about him than it is about you. It helps when we know how we feel when eating whole 30. I can tell my body operates better when I eat this way, it is a real fit for me, so I disregard other people's advice or criticism.

Hang in there!

After reading this I had a dream that I went to someone's house and ate non compliant food unknowingly.... I was soooo pissed off and angry! After all the effort! But thank god it was a dream!!!!!! Lol

I've had a few slight cravings finally..... There was the smell of fresh bread wafting all the way down the road as I drive home from work on Friday night and I was imagining fresh warm bread slathered in butter! Mmnm!!

Then I had a dream last night that I had a cigarette... And I woke up craving a cigarette... It's still on my mind now!!! Usually she I have quit smoking I the past I've lasted for three weeks absolutely no problems... No cravings or anything.... So it's been 21 days without a cigarette today!! How weird that my cravings always kick in after three weeks!!! So I will stay away from any smokers todY!!!

I'm just glad I. Starting to dream again... Regular marijuana use stops the dreams state.... Glad I'm getting it all out of my system :)

Hi all

Well I've made it to Day 14 and I am very happy about it.  I certainly feel as though I have lost a bit of weight - not feeling tiger blood but feeling like doing stuff and not lounge about which is a good sign.  I had a bad flu for about 8 days of this though so only expect things to pick up this week.

Something very annoying happened last night.  We went to some friends for dinner, when we were invited I explained what I was doing and offered to bring my own food.  I was assured that it wasn't necessary and that they would have something for me.  First up was some chicken wings and drumettes - I saw them go into the oven and asked "is that just plain chicken" - the answer was yes.  When the came out some hot sauce was poured over (I checked the bottle and it was compliant) so I tucked in.  After eating four of them I commented they were very crunchy and had they put coconut oil or something on them.  No, we covered them in flour was the answer.  OMG I was soooo cranky.  It really put me in a difficult situation as I was very very annoyed but really only have myself to blame - need to be responsible for everything I put in my mouth.  I really stressed out about it but have come to the conclusion that it would have been less than a teaspoon of flour so am not going to start back at Day 1.  I am also not going to go to anyone else's house for dinner until this is done!

Megsymoo - I did see Catalyst, was fascinating wasn't it.  Also on Radio National on Friday there was a story on the obesity pandemic in Australia and the role processed food play in this.  There certainly does seem to be a national conversation starting about the need to revert to a whole food diet.  We're clearly leaders of the pack!!!! Best of luck with your new job tomorrow.

I have Hashimoto's as well. I am on medication and trying to avoid having to up my dose is one of the reasons for doing the Whole 30 - I have to have my bloods done a week or so after I finish so it will be very interesting to see what they are.

I have been posting many of my meals on Instagram - you can see most of them at #whole30australia if anyone needs some inspiration.  I do love cooking so have been doing lots of different things.  My husband is in seventh heaven and wants this to go on forever.  I think I could do it but not without wine!!

Fantastic soup: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/ :D

sondrals - Sometimes people are very confronted by what we don't eat, as they do eat it and for some it's something they don't want to think about. Some feel guilty, some feel addicted, some feel we're trying to make them feel guilty, but it is all about how they feel :) Cool down first, but a good friend will support you, not throw rocks. Keep in mind though he may be taking out his own frustrations on you. Food can be very emotional for some people. I did low carb for years, but never realised I was gluten intolerant, Whole30 did that :D 

Hi everyone! I have been super busy this week getting back into full time work and managing my diet whilst going to the gym too talk about needing to be super organised! I take my hat off to the mum of 8 on here who also works I a daycare centre.... Working with children can be exhausting.... Then to go home to 8 of your own!! You're amazing! Super mum!

Well the depression has well and truly passed and I am feeling great emotionally! Just about over this nasty virus so my energy is returning. I stayed at work until 6pm on Friday just because I felt like it... Then I went to the gym when I got home! That's a far cry from a month ago whe. I would have returned home on a Friday night after a 50 hour week and fallen on the couch in exhaustion with a glass of wine or three and take away!! This diet may well get me a social life too with all the extra energy I will have!

Still over cooking and cleaning.... But starting to experiment more.... I bought well fed and made the bora bora fire balls.... They weren't amazing but they lasted me a couple of days before I got sick of them!

I've had a few enquiries about the food I'm eating at work.... Wow.... People seem almost threatened! I guess I would feel like that in their shoes... I was stuck in the gonna wanna shoulda frame of mind for 15 years! So I think I should just shut up because when someone asks me I get really excited about telling them how this is changing my life.... Lol. I think I already said after ten months with a messed up belly it's gone back to normal :)

I don't feel that I've lost any weight.... And I feel frustrated... My clothes are only slightly looser.... Not much... This is disappointing but maybe I'm eating too much fat or my portions are too big? I think I should start posting my meals for you guys to look at. Plus I'm not drinking nearly enough water... I used to drink 1.5-2 litres a day easily until I started teaching, which is when I put on all the weight too.... Seriously 25kg in 9 months.... I went from being a size 12 to being tight in a size 16! I waver so,ethereal between 14-16 to this day -usually a 16. I am so flat out and busy during the day that I literally forget to drink! Sometimes I'm lucky if I get ten minutes to eat lunch.... Eating breaks are not valued in Australia unfortunately.... Unlike the uk where I always had an hour lunch break when I was teaching! It was great! Healthy!

Anyway.... I. Soooo glad the depression and anxiety has lifted.... I live with my very depressed and often suicidal father at the moment so that adds stress too.... I'm so pleased I've been able to rise above this and get on with the job of looking after myself. I plan to move out in the next few months so I can be around positive people.... This plan would really help him but he's very stuck and will not give it a go... Perhaps one day :)

Have a great day 20/21! Ten days to go! Although I will be continuing this for at least three months I think... Is anyone else going to stretch this out to a while 90 or beyond? I would like to make it to 116 days.... Is that the number in the book it starts with food that the hartwigs say research shows it takes to form a habit ? Does anyone else on here have autoimmune diseases and is thinking of having a crack at the autoimmune protocol??

Yes I meant to comment on this too.... Your friend is totally projecting his own stuff on you... So don't take it personally. Just know that you are doing what is right for you... And if he continues... Just leave it alone for a while.... He will see the light eventually :)

Fantastic soup: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/ :D

sondrals - Sometimes people are very confronted by what we don't eat, as they do eat it and for some it's something they don't want to think about. Some feel guilty, some feel addicted, some feel we're trying to make them feel guilty, but it is all about how they feel :) Cool down first, but a good friend will support you, not throw rocks. Keep in mind though he may be taking out his own frustrations on you. Food can be very emotional for some people. I did low carb for years, but never realised I was gluten intolerant, Whole30 did that :D

Wow megsymoo, you sound happy! I'm glad you are reflecting on the smoking and 3 week itch. I was a closet smoker before I met my husband and would occasionally have a few if I was out drinking with my smoking friends.... I was done last time I tried that tho! Felt like complete ass afterwards and everything smelled. Good idea to try to surround yourself with non smokers but eventually you will be around it and notice how horrible it smells (hopefully!)

I'm waiting for my frittata and getting a bit tired of eggs. Sleep is so so and I'm thinking tonight is the night I sample my natural calm. I did lay out on the boat in a bikini ( not pretty but doable!) which would have never happened 20 days ago. It will be nice to put away the mommy suit at times.

going out to dinner tonight and plan to order a bunless burger. Wish me luck!

Wow, we've made it over two thirds the way through, there are only nine days left!  It's great that there are still so many of us who started at the same time.

sondrals, hope that you've your 24 hours cool down is going well.  Like everyone said, it seems like it's all down to his insecurities particularly since it's your doctor that has recommended the Whole30.  I've found that most people have been supportive but always have to remember that the total elimination is for 30 days and not 365 days.

I feel like I have more energy, my swim yesterday went pretty well and my session of resistance training went well this evening.  But otherwise, went out to lunch today to the in laws, had roast chicken and loads of veggies.  Came home with a load of runner beans from their garden, probably enough to last most of the week!  As with everyone, getting tired of all the washing up, just thankful that we have a dishwasher!

Hope that everyone's had a really good weekend.

When I make time to cook meals, Whole 30 is fabulous. Those days that are busy and I need something quick are much more of a struggle. Was going to weigh a week or so ago, and when I went to step on the scale, the battery was dead. Went to buy an new battery and the store didn't have the right one. How's that for fate keeping me on the program. Only 9 more days!

Archived