vanilla bean powder

rachieleah

After several communications with Frontier, I finally learned that the reason my vanilla bean powder is white is because the ground beans are spray dried. They wrote me that "The spray drying done in our vanilla bean powder contained gum arabic and GMO-Free dextrin.  These are what caused the light color."

Is this powder compliant?

Dextrins are a group of low-molecular-weight carbohydrates produced by the hydrolysis of starch. Dextrins are white, yellow, or brown powders that are partially or fully water-soluble, yielding optically active solutions of low viscosity. Most can be detected with iodine solution, giving a red coloration. I agree with what Tom has mentioned Unless they can tell you they use dextrin made from potato starch, this would be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard back from Frontier about where their dextrin comes from: 

"Per the supplier the dextrin was derived from GMO-free corn."

I'm on my third W30 and because I started to question why the vanilla bean powder was white instead of black a couple of months ago, I haven't had any this go around, but I did on my first two. I had never seen vanilla bean powder before and didn't think anything of the color. The store owner told me it was dried vanilla beans that was good enough for me. Now I kind of feel like I short-changed myself on my first two. It's amazing how a product can be compliant in terms of ingredients, but the manufacturing of that product can make it non-compliant.

Archived