Newbie questions - How much fruit can I eat? Can I drink tea between meals?

Hello fellow Whole9 members,

I am a newbie to Whole9 and I plan to start the Whole30 this coming Monday (18 August).

I'm sorry if this topic has been repeated 139487293847 times in the forum...

I've read through the rules a couple of times and I am hoping to get a better understanding of how much fruit I can have while on the Whole30. Is it one piece per day, or one piece every 2-3 days? Any help would be great.

I know snacking isn't permitted between meals but are herbal teas (i.e. peppermint/camomile) compliant between meals?

Also, when is the best time to have my morning coffee? Straight after breakfast?

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

Fruit isn't excluded, snacking on fruit alone isn't recommended, 1-2 pieces a day with meals is reasonable for most active people, less if you are trying to lose weight or manage sugar cravings or kill a sugar dragon

Coffee before breakfast isn't recommended if it suppresses your appetite, haven't read of any other specific timing recommendations.

".....but I'll add the "official Hartwig opinion" here.

There are very few reasons I can think of to give up fruit entirely, or purposefully limit intake. For one, let's not confuse fruit with fructose. Fruit isn't sugar - fruit is a whole food, with a whole host of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, fiber, water. And yes, it contains some sugar, but that's not the same as sugar.

We believe eating whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods in their natural state makes you more healthy. Fruit falls into that category, and we encourage consumption on the program. Now, we prioritize veggies because, as Renee said, they are more nutrient-dense as a whole. But nobody ever hurt themselves eating a few (3, 4, 6!) servings of fruit a day, in the context of a nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory, whole-foods based diet like ours. This is especially true when consumption follows a general seasonality - eat more fruit in the summer, when it's fresh and delicious, and less in the winter, when it's less available and not biologically "normal."

Reasons to limit fruit consumption may include fructose malabsorption (for those folks who don't tolerate fructose well and experience digestive distress when eating too much fruit at once), or for those who find they use fruit to prop up sugar cravings. In those instances, we don't recommend you eliminate fruit, only change how, when, and how much you consume it.

The idea of a "detox" program that limits fruit but promotes "sugar-free" pancakes, muffins, and donuts baffles me, to be honest. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

I hope that helps. As for your consumption, don't be afraid of a few pieces of fruit! Enjoy them, especially while they are in season, as part of your healthy Whole30/Whole9 varied diet.

Best,

Melissa"

Guest Andria

Ooo, Meadowliy, how do find these quotes! I wish I had this quote for a reply I just made to a poor soul feeling terribly guilty for eating an apple following a compliant meal.

edited:typo

Archived