Day 7, first whole30.

chrissie

Oops, I forgot to acknowledge the scotch egg bit, sorry:  I haven't felt the need to make any for a while, they helped the transition though.  I just seasoned pork mince with a little onion, parsley and wrapped it round the egg and baked it; nice picnic food, but dry, yes needed a mayo to dip it in! 

Amy applesauce with cinnamon sounds gorgeous, I'll give that a try!   Again I want to write loads more to you all, but time is a stealing and I really must stop avoiding the vacuum cleaner! 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all !

I grew up with my parents owning apple trees ~  so have made applesauce for years.  if you simmer them until they break down - no need to mill them, a potato masher works great.  I love mine with cinnamon, a little bit of sugar.  and put it over the top of ice cream while warm !!  

This morning made shredded rutabaga, onion, and a little of the left over shreds from the breakfast meatballs. (sw potato, mushrooms & onion, and some parsley) with 2 eggs.. daughter had some too - like the rutabaga.

For M2 - I have the scotch eggs (forgot my mayo/mustard sauce-darn it) and a sweet potato.  There is left over salsa here from our Nacho Monday - the ingredients do not include sugar - so I guess I top my eggs w/ that.

M3 - I think I will make the chocolate chili or another shephards pie or maybe spaghetti as I have the spaghetti squash.  I got behind in my cooking because of OT and then having to watch the lil man.   Just read the recipe for the chocolate chili - says to simmer for 2 hrs.. guess that one will have to be a weekend adventure.

Feeling much better, but am having a hard time getting up in the morning.  Probably exercise would help with that.  Like Chrissie - the pain of plantar fasciitis is so much better and that alone is with these 30 days.  I am actually thinking of delaying or maybe even cancelling my injection ! 

I am going to whine a bit - so bear w/ me... so not a single friend or family member has mention anything about me doing this.  Or has noticed any 'affects'  which I thought I saw some thinning in my face (I always lose weight there first).  I have friends here at work that I told and not a single one of them even asks how I am doing.  I'm sure they are just giving me space - and maybe they think if they bring it up - that I might start caving or something.    They were all surprised because I had to give up my wine !     I'm not bringing up either - cuz I don't want to be that 'preachy person'.

Ok  I'm done !  :D

Good morning all.  Amy I think it was the milk but can't be positive.  Remember a week ago when I had the first ice cream I had about 1/2 cup and I had a problem.  I thought it was the sugar alcohol in it.  Since then I have had 1/4 cup or less with peaches or berries and it hasn't bothered me. I had 2 yogurts in the last week and a half and they didn't bother me.  So I don't know maybe it"s the quantity or having the little grain thing at the same time. If you all have any thoughts on it let me know.

My friend can't have dairy so she eats SO delicious yogurt made from almond milk.  I bought one to try but it has dried cane syrup for sweetness in it.  Is that one of the good or bad sugars.

Besides that lunch I had hash browns and eggs for m1 and blt without the bread for dinner.  Bacon, tomato and guacamole wrapped in lettuce leaves.

Small bowl of chicken sausage, potato, onion and kale soup. It is so good I was making it long before w30.

Have wonderful rest of your day.

Hi Tina we were blogging at the same time so I hadn't seen your post to comment.  About people not taking any interest in what you are doing. I haven't told anybody besides my granddaughter and daughter. My daughter has not asked me once how I am doing or showed any interest.  She was close to a little hostile about it when I told her.  My granddaughter talks to me and likes to shop with me because we have the same interest in healthy foods.

I don't want to sound mean or angry about it in any way but I think the people who ignore or put down what we are doing are uncomfortable talking about it because they know they should be doing it and they are not ready or don't have the mind set to do it. So they ignore it so as not to feel guilty or bad about themselves.  i don't know why they would be surprised about wine. I think it's and empty calorie isn't it.

I think that is why this blogging is so important. then you have somebody to talk about it with.

Just a note on the chocolate chili.  You may love it a lot of people said they did but hubby and I didn't care for it.  I still have 1/2 of it in the freezer.

Apple sauce sounds good.

Good afternoon.  Have been busy scouring recipes this am while my daughter slept in.  She is 11, and didn't get up til near noon.  I also have a daughter who is 31 and a son who is 32.  He brings me two sweet grandchildren, but they live in Colorado, so I don't get to see them so often.  Thank goodness for Skype. 

I made some home made breakfast sausage this am with ground pork, and spices.  Not too bad.  I added to that with some portabella mushrooms, onions and asparagus stir fried with eggs.  Made for a yummy meal 1. 

For meal 2 I am making the homemade mayo from the book, to stir up some chicken salad, over bibb lettuce and some watermelon.

Dinner is my dilemma. It is Rosh Hashanah and largely I have created a great whole 30 meal.  Arugula with pomegranate seeds, tossed with olive oil and balsamic.  Baked acorn squash with cranberry apple stuffing.  Brisket with oven roasted vegetables.  All "Kosher", lol.  But traditionally Jewish holidays have a wine blessing, and this holiday usually comes with apples dipped in honey for a "sweet new year".  Truly I can live without the wine, The dip of honey seems more important.  Will this set me back on my 30 day progress.  Help, those of you who have gone before me.

I don't know what the more informed members would say but I read somewhere on the forum that a sugar slip isn't as bad as say a wheat or dairy.  Sugar is more about getting a hold of your sugar cravings. So if it is just to have a sweet because your used to it on this day then I wouldn't have it. If it has a more profound meaning to you then make it as small a serving as you can and it still have the meaning behind it.  Hope that helps and that I didn't give you bad advice.

Lori - I agree... if it is the meaning - more than the sugar, then I think you should be fine. Just don't eat the whole bottle !!  LOL

Thank you Donna for your words - you are right - and I know that I am doing the right thing for myself and I feel great.  I totally can see making this a life change and doing this forever.  Yes there will be times that I just can't stay 100% compliant - but I bet I can be atleast 90% during those times. It will be come a Habit.

What amazing journey this has been.  Just the knowledge of what I should be watching out for is HUGE!    I do not miss the morning coffee.... I may go back to an occasional iced coffee - with almond milk or coconut milk (which is what I did before)  BUT now I think of the sugar that I added to it - to make it taste good.  So I guess if I have to ADD something to it - so that I enjoy it - Why bother ???   (thinking about empty calories - and feeding the DRAGON)

I do need to get some sauce recipes - so that I can enjoy those again. I hear there is a great recipe for bbq sauce in well fed 2... so I will be checking that out.

Love reading all your posts - thanks so much for sharing

Tina, I read something earlier today- it takes 4 weeks for you to notice change in your body, 8 weeks for your friends and 12 for the rest of the world. I find that people can be very close-minded during the first few times they hear about something like this that is new and radical. Also they may say nothing because they don't want to hurt you or offend you by saying what they really think. My mother-in-law said, "well what are you going to eat, styrofoam?" No, I'm going to eat meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables and fruit. Real food. And then she never asked me again how it was going or how I did. And she's the most caring, loving person I know. But I didn't do it for her or anyone else, I did it for myself.

Donna, you know your body well! Sounds like you know what you can and can't tolerate, and it's interesting that yogurt agrees with you better than milk. Almond milk is delicious though, I think I could give up dairy no problem if I had to. I bet your homemade almond milk was even better than the kind they sell in the store.

Lori, I can tell you when I had birthday cake on my son's birthday I don't feel it was a terrible set back, although my sugar cravings came back full force and I was regretting it. It took me a week to get back to no cravings. However, if this is a tradition that is important to you, I don't think honey is the worst thing you could eat. I feel as though honey is off limits during whole 30 because they don't want it over used or used in place of sugar to sweeten things intentionally. Using it once as part of a religious tradition is different (in my opinion.) But, if you really struggle with sugar cravings like I do, maybe not a good idea.

hi all....  I hope everyone is doing good.

I have to get my ducks all in a row - my plan is starting to unweave.. ? ?  I found my self with no veggies to eat for breakfast and no desire to have any veggies.  BUT  I had made butternut squash soup and some of the eggs from the disembowled scotch eggs.(hee hee)  I couldn't eat them  and couldn't waste them, so I dug out the eggs.  Not my first choice - the eggs were overdone from being baked.   I did toss them when I got home.  there is wasting and then there is wasting.

So my plan is to make some breakfast casseroles, and those breakfast meatballs.  Then will get some veggies that I like and get those all roasted or grilled if the weather is good. 

I made some chicken livers/onions tonight - YUM.  Have my hair appt tomorrow morning at 11... can't eat lunch before (too early) and can't eat a late breakfast (too late)  so I am getting prepared..  will bring lunch, so while my color is processing, I will dine.  Nurish and beautify.   So boiled some eggs, will have carrots/celery/jicama and a piece of fruit-  so that should work until dinner.

I am still not waking up well - hitting the snooze button -many many many times.  I guess I really should add some exercise... really I should. 

Good evening to all.  Thanks for everybody's input yesterday.  I did chose to dip the apple in the honey.  The behavior did not feel like the past when I went off program.  It felt very much like a conscious choice, and I did not indulge in any bread or dairy, both challah and honey cake were served.  Today I have felt totally still on program, no awakening of the food demons.  To be honest, I am much more likely to go down a bad path with other food then sugar, like junk food or bread products. 

Today I had left overs for my meals, and have ate as planned.  My concern is I am on a 24 hour shift, and if I am awake all night (not too likely) what then.  I packed some nuts and an apple for a fourth meal/snack as an emergency, but then I was still hungry after my tex-mex casserole and ate them.  (The original recipe had avocado on top, which I didn't bring, so I thought the nuts increased the fat content)  I need some emergency foods to keep in my bag for these kind of situations  any recommendations?

Tina, sounds like you have a good plan for tomorrow with your hair appointment.  It seems planning is so important on this plan, as it is not always easy to improvise along the road.  Well back to tend to the babies.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hi everyone, sorry I missed out yesterday but at the end of 7, I slept, cared for grandson,  I made bad food choices and I slept again. This morning I am awake, just but feel drugged!   I know I am going to suffer because of yesterday because I totally reverted to old habits.  I knew this would happen - self fulfilling prophesy?   No, Dallas and Maria warned of it, somewhere.  The odd thing is there was a tiny conscious awareness noting what I was doing, noting how though I skipped good food and hovered up the contents of my husbands shelf in the 'fridge (he is still so not into healthy eating!!!!) Basically the demon wheat - bread and pastry.   I was not satisfying my tummy, there was nothing in there satisfying me.  Because when this mini binge happened I probably really should have said, ''I'm off to bed early'', I was trying to replace being tired with food.  I had good food on my shelf of the fridge, but I was not hungry for that.   Enough navel gazing from me, :)  I start a mini 7 reset today, just in time to get it in before my Scottish journey.

Lesson learned. AGAIN!

Lori, you seem to be doing well, I would have agreed with the honey thing too.  I hope your 24 doesn't derail you!

Tina, you are learning about planning; usually it is being unprepared that leads to grabbing less healthy food... you'll be nearly at the end of your 30?  I laughed at you disembowelling your scotch eggs!

Donna.. I'm losing track of time along with my marbles - have you managed your mini 3?   how was it?

Amy, it does seem like too much milk is a trigger for you, maybe yoghurt is better because it is fermented? 

Ladies, today I am going on a shopping expedition with my daughter and her babies.  I'm starting the seven but I'll not mention it to her and see if she is watching what I eat/don't eat now she knows the 30 is over and see if I get any comments from her!  Watch this space and I hope you are all going to have a great day :)

Day 11, so amazed at the lack of desire for food.  Yesterday my 24 hour shift was not kind to me.  I ended up for nearly the whole night, sleeping maybe an hour.  About 2 am I ate my apple.  Normally I would have been eating crap all night, with the mistaken belief that it would help me stay awake.  The other very odd thing was that I didn't find myself especially tired.  Also new for being up so long.  In the end I came home and just went to bed, so all my worry about an extra meal turned into I missed a meal.  I just fixed a couple of eggs with prosciutto, had an arugula salad with pomegranate seeds, and a nectarine.  Food tastes so incredibly good to me right now. 

Planning to make some chicken curry tonight with cauliflower

Happy shopping Chrissie :)

Tina I hope you are feeling beautiful

Amy and Donna hope your having a great fall weekend, if I remember you are both in New England and I heard the colors are peaking.  I would love to have a weekend hiking in the white mountains to one of the Appalachian mountain huts.

Hi

Hope everybody is having a good weekend. 

Tina I have fallen into the trap of getting complacent and not planning as well as I should.  It just takes a mental reset like you are doing and it goes well again until the next time.  You did good on planning ahead for the appt.  I think it sounds like your doing great.  What day are you on now.

Amy I don't know why yogurt didn't bother me as much.  Maybe it was quantity or accumulation but what ever it is I am going to try to not do any dairy.

If I have yogurt they make coconut and almond based Greek yogurts. I don't eat them a lot. I just like to have 1 or two around if I want a quick snack.

Lori maybe on your longer shifts you could pack an extra meal with protein, fats and carbs.  Would give you energy and help keep you satisfied although this time it sounds like it turned out fine. Some chicken, avocado and sweet potato would be easy. What kind of dressing if any do you put on your argula

and pomegranate salad?  I have never had that and would like to try it.

Chrissie I haven't done a 3 day.  I think I said I would at some time . Maybe like before a small vacation or before or after going off paleo like when I have pizza with my Grandson. I mainly want to try just staying 75 to 100 percent compliant with Paleo and I think I have pretty much done that for the most part.

Other then when I had a taco and Margarita and the several days later the starbucks thing.  That is about 10 percent bad.

This morning was roasted root veggies w/sweet potato, 2 eggs fried in ghee and 1 piece of uncured bacon. Lunch was a cup of left over kale, sausage. potato soup w/ a 2oz piece of chicken added to it and about 3 oz of coconut based vanilla yogurt.

For dinner I am fixing Paleo-Chick-fil-A.  I have heard of chick fil a on tv but we don't have any in Nevada. I think they are a mid West or East fast food type place.

Hi everyone ! I do feel beautiful - I love my hairdresser, I say do what you want - and it always turns out good.

Yes planning is everything on this program ( I hate to say diet- ok new life goals) I survived the lunch, and made it home in time to make dinner, had to resist snacking while I was making it. Had the liver from last night with some sw potatoes and white potatoes fried. No greens - but I just couldn't eat a salad tonight.

I am on Day 24... and thankful that I do not have a job like yours where you have to plan meals for your long shifts. I think you all have done amazing to be so prepared as you have been.

Chrissie - I can't wait to hear about your 'holiday' when you get back ! I 've always wanted to go to Scotland... and Switzerland.... and Ireland ... and and and

I guess I will be babysitting my grandson tomorrow - I don't have any meals planned that he will like so it will be chicken tenders and fries for him. I almost cringe when I feed him things like that now - just knowing how "not healthy"

- they say you have a "kill all things" moment. I think today is my day. I am irriated at my dog - was whining to go out at 5:15 this morning; then the cats wouldn't let me go back to sleep (fully), then I visited a dear friend. And she only talked about herself (I know - petty) and she didn't set aside to actually just sit and visit- she was cleaning and organizing her garage the whole time - while I stood there. She is not the type to let you help. Again- petty. ( I could have left) Then my daughter tells me ( from dad's ) that she forgot pjs. Can you bring some - I was not anywhere near home so I had to go buy some- Why couldn't dad do this ?? To top it all off - I have new neighbors that are moving in Upstairs - GGGRRRR and then neighbor next to me - likes to smoke on her patio and of course, it comes right into my door, so I can't enjoy the nice weather and breeze coming in.

I think that it might be an early to bed night for me ! Hopefully the people upstairs will be done making a ruckus.

oh and as I looked in the mirror today - those wonderful back flaps - you know the rolls under your bra strap - almost entirely gone ! I took before pics and measurements - and I was amazed !! That is enough to keep me going strong !

Hello all, Day 2 reset. It's bright mild Sunday here, and some leaves are drifting gently off the trees already though next month will see autumn in all her glory here.  We are visiting friends this afternoon who we haven't seen for an age, and instead of me being polite and eating because they have been gracious enough to serve cakes with coffee, I have asked them not to, for me.  Their response was ''but then we can't eat cake either''!   I wonder if I will need to defend my stance, or it will be accepted.  I hope that as I argue it is for the sake of my health, that will be sufficient.  Yesterday was nice with my daughter, and as I manoeuvred her into a good lunch (my treat)  and we both ate plates of roast and veggies, she didn't seem to notice that I had no gravy on mine, or that I left the peas on the side of my plate. So day 1 went well, it was almost a relief to be back under the 'rules' again.  Though I do not want to be dependent on them, Just until I learn finally that wheat products are not good for me!   There is a lady on another log I noticed who said the W30 is a training programme for the rest of her life.  That is so true.

Tina, what a victory to see the back flaps go :D  but what a stressful day you had!   I think I recall my 'kill-all-things'' moment came late in the day too.  Donna, I don't recall you mentioning  it happening to you, did you escape unscathed?  Tina I hope your new neighbours are nice people and the smoking one decides to stop soon, that must be VERY annoying.  you do have gypsy blood don't you!!

Lori, I hope you are all caught up on sleep now.   Keep on enjoying! 

Donna - what is a chick-a-fila?  The only fast-food chicken we have over here is KFC.  I hope it turns out well.

Today I'm having eggs and tomato, then salmon with loads of green salad and some mayo, no cake, and roast chicken, broccoli cabbage and sweet potato for tea.  Managing to remember the importance of the green stuff again! 

Have a lovely day everyone C x

thank you Chrissie   Funny that you say I have Gypsy blood - a friend told me that too - mostly because I have moved so many times and none of those 'houses' were home.    Oh  and as for your friends - I too wish that they could just accept this is who you are now, and that you don't have to give 'excuses'.  Next time - don't give them a warning - just smile and say no thank you when the cake comes out. (then they can eat the cake - without giving you a guilt trip )  It would be nice to have support from your friends.    That is just my opinion, and it may not pertain to your situation - just throwing it out there.

I feel much better this morning - have an egg and lemon juice warming up to make mayo.  sausage and turkey meat coming to room temp for breakfast meatballs and a sauage/cauliflower casserole.  Have decided to use a mix of pork sausage and ground turkey for the meatballs instead of straight pork sausage.  Trying to make it a little bit more healthy.

I ate the white potatoes last night - and my stomach ended up a little gurgly when I went to bed.  I have not really eaten any potatoes during this 30 days, so I am thinking that maybe the potatoes might not be agreeing with me.   When I am done - I will try another intro - and then I will know.  But for the rest of this time - no potatoes.

Looking forward to cooking and spending time with my crazy little grandson.

Have a great day everyone

Ohhhhh I do LOVE Chik-fil-a!! I got hooked on it while living in the south. Chrissie it's a chicken sandwich fast food restaurant with the most amazing waffle fries. It's the only fast food that I eat. I was dismayed that they don't have as many restaurants up north, but praise be, they just opened one in the town where I will be working. A friend of mine made the Chik fil a paleo nuggets and she said they turned out great. You'll have to let us know how your turn out Donna!

Iv'e had trouble logging on, but I got here in the end.   Amy, how lucky are you your fave food outlet is opening where you are working, no temptation there then, ha-ha!   

Tina, my friends were actually ok when we got there, and were quite interested in what I had to say, I was expecting to be challenged though!   I hope you had fun with your grandson.

Lori, are you doing ok? 

Donna, have you had pizza with your grandson yet, or have I lost touch with time again?

I'm still suffering a bit from my wheat overdose 4 days ago but everything is calming down.   I wonder how many more times I'll revert to old habits before they are eliminated?  

Another day of good food today on my reset, no cravings no concerns.  I'm back to work tonight for just 3 nights,  I've made a new twist on scotch eggs after Tina disembowelling hers brought them back to mind!  I'm calling them 'welsh' eggs (to my Scottish hubby's disgust ha-ha)!  Because with the minced pork I added some chopped bacon, lightly sautéed leek and crushed potato.  They are tasty, and the meat coat is a bit softer with the potato added. They're going to work with me with salad, mayo and a green soup thing - I've blended watercress and spinach into stock, plenty of salt n pepper and a splosh of coconut milk.  it works for me.  Apple with nut butter for emergencies.  

Hope you are all ok :)

Guest WholeStanley

omg whole30 scotch eggs that sounds waaaay better than the original (which I could never attempt to home make anyway) thank you soo much for these! brilliant!

The chic-fil-a nuggets turned out good.  Not something I would have every week but maybe once a month. Amy do they have the nuggets in the restaurant? The recipe is on the Stupid Easy Paleo web site.

Tina did you do the recipe of scotch eggs from well fed?  Hey glad to hear you are really seeing a difference in your body.  That is such a motivator.

Sounds like you had reason to be irritated the other day.

Glad your visit went well Chrissie.  I think the longer we do this we will find people accept it better because they can see we look healthy and well fed.

When you talk about cakes are you saying cake like a birthday type cake or do you mean cookies.

I don't think I had a kill all things day or event. I also never really had tiger blood either. Maybe 2 or 3 hours but that would have been it. I didn't have a lot of cravings or feel badly other then a day or two of depression.  I guess that's good although I would like to have the tiger blood.

I haven't had the pizza yet. My grandson flies in tonight late.  I told him to let me know what night would be good for him.

Just came back to tell you I just made ( well their really crepes but make a good tortilla) to roll anything up in. Like a breakfast burrito, sandwich fixing or when your off the 30 put a little vanilla in the batter and use them to wrap berries or cooked apples or banana in for a desert type thing.  They are really good and so easy to make.  They are on the Stupid Easy Paleo site.

I have been meaning to try the 'crepes - tortilla'- waiting until I'm done to try it -  was it the coconut recipe - I've seen it made w/ cauliflower too

I think spaghetti (or noodle like)is a no brakes food - even made w/ zoodles !    I just made zoodles (with my veggeti!) spaghetti sauces w/ meatballs.  I couldn't stop eating it -  OK  I did Stop... but only after the little voice in my head was shouting at me.  I only had 3 meatballs, but I am stuffed.  Cuz I was eating all the 'noodles'  So I think that will be a no-no.

M1   was cauliflower/sausage bake, and 2 meatballs
m2   salad  with boiled egg, tuna, cauliflower, tomatoes,   dressing oil/vinegar/lemon juice

M3    meatballs, sauce and zoodles

Another NSV - I drank green chai tea - without SUGAR -  never thought I would be able to do that.  When I tried after a week on this program - almost gagged !  I didn't drink the whole cup - but I did sip throughout the day, so that is a definite Victory in my book.

I'm back... I am having a 'snack' craving - for the first time.  I went to the fridge looking for something to eat.  Thought I would eat an orange..... but it wasn't cuz I'm hungry.  I didn't eat enough veggies with my dinner.  That is the reason - not hunger.  I am writing here - instead of getting food. !

Argggh  no more skimping on my veggies !

Archived