What is the most common thing that stops the Whole 30?

ragbaby

Hi - do you have any records of what the most common thing is that makes people break the Whole 30 rules and have to start again?

I'm guessing there must be some reasons - occasions or certain types of food people are most tempted by.

Sugar I think...just because if u dont read labels its sneaky. Sometimes your not even aware that you broke the 30 until you actually realize that a certain food item is not on plan. Ideally the 30 should be done completely. If you know there is an occasion comming up, plan ahead or start over or look at it as whole 40 ect.

There are countless reasons. I've seen people go off a Whole30 due to unfamiliarity with the rules, drinking alcohol due to perceived peer pressure or out of habit, eating off-plan food for comfort in a stressful situation, or not asking questions when dining out, not having a plan.

Your chance of success on a Whole30 is increased when you follow the rules, diligently label-read, adhere to the meal template, always have compliant options available, and have a list of reasons why you're doing it to remind you why you embarked on this program.

Overall, the Whole30 is a great exercise in conscious eating.

I'm on day 29, and there were two separate times I was THIS CLOSE to quitting over wanting to eat a cookie. The sugar cravings can sometimes be unbelievable. Each time I made a deal with myself: get through today, and if you still feel this miserable tomorrow, you can stop. It always went away. :-)

I think the thing that trips people up the most is having someone else cook for them. Usually they go to a restaurant and accidently eat something with gluten or dairy or they go to a friend or family members house and are told that the food is compliant only to find out they used flour to thicken it or butter to make it creamy.

I think the second thing that trips people up is not being prepared. You are going to have those days when you want to kill all things and you just don't have the energy to cook. It is so easy to throw in the towel and order a pizza. If you have compliant stuff ready to go so you can just grab a salad and throw some cooked chicken on it you can at least eat a complaint meal and then take a breath and keep going.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Tina, yes that does help - I've got a big bit of paper on the fridge listing all the protein and veg I have inside it - it's saved me a few times because I can see by looking that I can grab a bit of cooked chicken, some salad and mayo and I'm sorted. Planning is key!

Archived