So...I'm committed!

sholmes

This is a first for me...first time committing to something so prescribed for such a long period of time, first time committing to really figuring out what impacts me food wise, first day on the whole30 and my first time blogging!!

I've tried different cleanses and lifestyle changes before but nothing really seems to stick. I know this is different and I think that's why I'm excited to start on this journey...enjoying the good, bad and ugly of it! I know I will feel better as time goes on and I will have learned stuff that can help for a lifetime.

My goals for doing this are:

• To break my unhealthy "reward" association with food
  • Stop grazing so much - I'm not actually hungry, it's just a habit
  • Balance out my hormones so I can lose this pesky belly fat
  • Overall, feel great - like I did when I was a kid

Day 1 so far has looked like this:

• 7:00am - gym (20 mins strength training and 30 mins moderate intensity on the elliptical)
  • 9:30am - 3 hardboiled eggs and 1.5 handfulls of yellow/orange peppers
  • 1:30pm - 4oz of ground bison, 1.5 cups of roasted cauliflower/zucchini, 1/4 cup guacamole
  • 6:30 - green chicken thai curry (with red peppers, zucchini, onions) over 1.5 handfulls of spinach, 3/4 c blueberries

I'm very much a planner and can follow something being prescribed...I'm a little nervous about putting my meals together on my own so I welcome suggestions and guidance along the way.

I am definitely committed so I want to make sure I'm doing this right.  :) Wish me luck!

Welcome! Your meals look good. You may want to add some starchy veggies like sweet potato, squash, rutabaga, beets, etc. Make sure you are drinking 1/2 your weight in oz of water each day. If you weigh 100 pounds then you would drink 50 oz of water.

Have you downloaded the meal planning template? This is very helpful planning your meals. Good Luck!

• Moderators

If you want to balance your hormones and lose belly fat, you need to eat a real breakfast much earlier in the day, not 2.5 hours after your workout. Eating breakfast within an hour of waking in the morning is important to getting your hormones into a good rhythm. By fasting until late in the morning, you are encouraging things to stay out of whack. 

I am concerned that you are not eating enough. We recommend pre-and post-workout meals in addition to three basic meals on days you exercise meaningfully. Study the meal planning template and figure out how you can eat more: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thank you for your feedback/suggestions and your encouragement!

Hopefully today is a little bit better.  :)

4:55am - 1 hardboiled egg

5:00-6:00 - weight training at the gym

6:15 - 1/2 organic sausage and sweet potatoes

9:00 - 2 hardboiled eggs, 1/2 organic sausage, handful of lettuce, closed handful of macadamia nut/cashew nut mix, 1/2 c raspberries, black coffee

12:45 - 4oz ground turkey, zucchini and cauliflower and guacamole, 1 c blueberries

6:15 - Asian broccoli recipe from It Starts With Food, 5 olives, 5 macadamia nuts and 5 cashews

Overall, 7 500ml bottles of water (112oz - I weigh 138lbs so I'm at a good pace)  :)

I realize there is a big gap between my post workout snack and my breakfast...challenge is that between 6:15-9:00, I'm showering and getting ready for work and then I'm commuting on a train and walking.

I am open to different ideas if this is going to hurt my progress so please share. I'm still trying to work out the logistics of all of this.  

Thanks again for the support - super helpful!

A couple of days behind posting my log and I want to make sure I'm still on the right track.

Day 3

4:55 - hardboiled egg

5:00-6:00 - weight training and cardio at the gym

6:05 - 1/2 sausage and sweet potatoes

9:00 - 2 hardboiled eggs, 1/2 sausage, guacamole, raspberries, black coffee

12:45 - chicken thai curry (with added ground turkey) over spinach, blueberries and macadamia nuts

6:30 - grilled chicken breast, brussel sprouts with tomato sauce (compliant) and small handful of cashews

Day 4 - a little tougher

8:30 - sweet potato hash with a small handful of cashews

12:30 - ground bison, guacamole, 1.5 handfuls of spring salad mix, peach

6:00 - grilled chicken breast, 1.5 handfuls of salad, guacamole, 5 grapes, watermelon slice

We had a potluck bbq last night and everything that was there, I loved...and I couldn't eat. I ended up going home and eating my own meal (outlined above). I felt good about that but then I had this intense craving for cookies and french fries. I haven't had many cravings since I started - I even watched my husband eat ice cream the other day - but last night was a bad night. I felt sorry for myself and deprived and it put me in a foul mood.  :(

I'm feeling a bit better today but have been having cramps for the last couple of days when I normally wouldn't. I've read lots of posts of women's cycles (even when they are on bc pills) so I'm not worried...just more frustrated by that too.

Trying to think happy thoughts...I am getting healthier...and there's still a long road to get there (25 days to be exact).  :(

Archived