Major GI Issues

Hi everyone!  So thankful for this forum and all of the great information/motivation I've found here!  I apologize in advance for the grossness/TMI that follows :)

Ever since I started my Whole30 I've been having very regular BMs, several days bordering on diarrhea (especially in the first week-10 days).  This is a big change, but a welcomed one, from my baseline as I typically struggle with constipation.  Thus far I've attributed it to my increased dietary fat intake. Today is Day 17 for me, and this morning at work I started feeling terrible-- got very hot, nauseous, stomach cramping, and came very close to vomiting.  Shortly after this I began having watery diarrhea and the stomach cramps got worse.  Been to the toilet 6 times since then and the cramps continue.  I'm wondering if there could be a connection between today's symptoms and the fact that I ate out last night for the first time during my Whole30.  It was a work event that I had to attend, and I chose things that were compliant--sping mix salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, filet mignon, and roasted potatoes and asparagus (was also very tempted by the awesome-looking bread and chocolate cheesecake offered but I stayed on plan!)  I was told that the veggies/steak were cooked with EVOO,  but I'm now wondering if I accidentally ingested something that is not compliant and that's why I'm suffering today.  If the vegetables were cooked in a seed oil, or dairy like regular butter was used to cook the steak, could that cause these types of symptoms?  I can't recall any adverse reactions to dairy or seed oils in the past but am curious if I actually am sensitive to them and didn't know before my Whole30.  Is it normal to still have GI upset at this point in the program?  I know it could also just be a coincidental viral infection.  In that case, is it ok to limit the cruciferous/green leafy veggies for a day or two until my stomach improves?  Those foods tend to make my bowels move quicker and can sometimes cause cramping if I eat too many.

Thanks in advance for any advice!  Just ready to feel better...

You can do whatever you have to to feel better, even taking over the counter medications. A few thoughts 1) the stomach flu is going around so you might have that  2) There is a recall on almond butter from whole foods and trader joes, hopefully you don't have any of the recalled nut butters. 3) when you detox your body starts getting rid of all the junk in your cells and dumps it into your intestines. This can happen a couple weeks into the whole30 so this could be what is happening to you, better out than in. Some people get constipated some get diarrhea, hopefully this stops soon.

I don't think your meal caused these issues even if you injested an off plan ingredient. You won't know until you do your re intros at the end and see what foods bother you. Good Luck!

• Moderators

Seed oils or butter are not likely to provoke diarrhea unless you are extremely sensitive to milk proteins. More likely, you are suffering from a bug of one sort or another. Go ahead and take an OTC anti-diarrhea medicine to help you get regulated. You might emphasize starchy veggies for a few days to help with your bowel movements. The fiber can be helpful. 

Archived