Day 7 & 12 Stomach pain and gas

I haven't had stomach pain or gas in a long time, even before starting the whole30. On day 7 and now on 12, I've had it. I have woken up in the morning with the gurgling pain and gas. Here's what I ate the evening before both of these days.

Day 7:

Grilled Chicken with steamed broccoli and cauliflower with a tbsp of ghee

Day 12:

breakfast:

green nutrition powder (I have eaten this for years and get the organic mix from my nutritionist), raw egg, coconut milk and banana mixed in blender

Lunch:

Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and red pepper, cucumbers, strawberries and blueberries

Dinner:

Chicken soaked in pickle juice and coated with tapioca flour cooked in coconut oil

Bruschetta tomato sauce (I did realize that this has vegetable oil in it, so will not eat this again)

strawberries

I don't have the full menu on day 7 because I didn't realize I should be keeping a food diary until I just got to day 12.

I know I didn't eat much for dinner on day 12, but I wasn't hungry enough.

The pain went away on day 7 after getting up and going about my day and now beginning day 13, I'll have to wait and see if it does this time. But I have also noticed during the past 2 weeks that I have had increased gas anyway. Any ideas what could be causing this?

• Moderators

Maybe a mod will weigh in too, but one thing that stands out to me is the broccoli and cauliflower -- if you ate them a lot before W30 and had no problem or if you've been having them on other days with no problems, maybe that's not it, but for some people they can cause gas, even if they're cooked. Also, in general, major changes in diet can cause increased gas, especially if you're adding a lot more vegetables than you used to eat.

And a totally unrelated side note -- even if your green nutrition powder is compliant, smoothies aren't really in the spirit of the W30, they want you to eat your meals, not drink them. Here's a quote from the Can I Have guide:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.oZkzpXng.dpuf

I see what you're saying about the smoothie, but it only has a banana in it and the green powder is rich in tons of good stuff for ya, so I'm not concerned much about that. I suppose it could be the broccoli and cauliflower, tho I've eaten them regularly before. I'll keep a watch to see if I still have it and hopefully can pinpoint what's causing it if it doesn't go away. Thank you for your feedback!

Archived