Vinegar and Sulfites: are they 'natural'?

Angelina

Hi everyone,

I'm not clear on the Vinegar situation. I just read the labels on all the bottles in the supermarket - balsamic, apple, wine etc - and they all contain sulfites. I'm reading in It Starts with Food that sulfites occur naturally in many foods and are a by-product of fermentation. So I'm assuming that, with regards to the Whole30, sufites are

• okay in vinegar
  • not okay when found  in any other food, and possibly especially when they are coded, such E224.

Is this right?

Thankyou,

Angelina

The rule of thumb on sulfites is the ingredients list. If sulfites are listed in the ingredients list, then they were added sulfites, and those products are not allowed on a Whole30.

If elsewhere on the vinegar label, it says something like "contains naturally occurring sulfites", then you're fine.

As a side note, this question has been asked and answered multiple previous times on the forum. The easiest way to search the forum is via Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and if it was previously discussed here, you'll get links to the posts.

Same point on citric acid. It's ok on a Whole30, per the Can I Have Guide

Same point on ascorbic acid. Answered here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2515-ascorbic-acid/

• 2 weeks later...

I now understand the sulfites,  but what's the protocol with the Colorant 150d. This seems to be a very common additive to give the Balsamic its black and shiny. I can't find any reference to it on the Whole30. Here, Paleoleap http://paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-food-additives/ says don't worry about it, the quantities are so low as not be of any harm. Did we mistakenly just throw out our Balsamic, or did we do the right thing?

Archived