September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Hi everyone - 

So glad to finally be able to catch up and write something on here. This has been a LONG, hard week for me. Lots of stress and work, and hormones all over the place which has led to some massive cravings unlike any I've had this whole time. I was so close to calling 22 days good enough, then 24 days good enough, and yesterday (day 25) was the biggest struggle of all with stress at work. But..I survived it, not beautifully or ideally, but stayed compliant and taking that as a victory!

My plan for life after this is to continue pretty much as I have now, with two exceptions.  1: wine. I just want a good glass of wine. 2: adding some natural sweeteners back in to foods such as honey, maple syrup, etc. I admittedly have a sweet tooth so this will be a big challenge for me. I need to put some parameters around this, or it will be out of control quickly. I'm ok without bringing dairy back, and I feel so much better without breads. I don't think the occasional bowl of rice is going to hurt me either.  But....I just really want a glass of wine!  I might even celebrate with that for breakfast on day 31!!! (HA - just kidding)!!

Stay strong everyone!  So good to hear how everyone's experiences have gone!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also - whoever said they have 40lbs more to go to healthy BMI, I also have 30-40lbs (depending on what or if I lost on this) to go to get to my healthy BMI also.  And this is working so well for me, I see my body changing, that I want to stick with it longer. 

I do have French family, and Greek family, as well as English and Scottish so I'm used to alcohol and food being central to life and spending a lot of time with my family and friends with a meal...you don't get one foot inside my mother or aunts house without being offered a drink! Not that we are alcoholics, just that it is an important social act. As children we were given watered down wine at the table and my son and his cousins are offered it too by my mothers generation...the theory is that if something is normal there is no rebellion as a teenager. It did work as none of the 6 of us in my generation drink to excess and didn't as teens. There was nothing to prove.

The French and Greek do tend to eat "proper" food more than the British though so I could emulate that moving forwards...the concept that they'd rather have a tiny piece of fabulous cheese than a block of crappy stuff...

Hi guys, 

Are you all planning on a detailed reintroduction? I'm a little nervous about that part. Right now I go back and forth between thinking "I got this!" and thinking "Holy cr*p I want this to be over", mostly for convenience of getting an easy lunch while at work. I get scared with the second thoughts, I don't want to finish my 30 days and eat anything with this excuse. So my husband and I are carefully planning the next 10 days and treating them like a whole30 with careful reintroductions. From my experience last time, easier said than done! The pressure that came off my shoulders when I finished last time affected my food decisions every single time and I kept making excuses to eat anything I wanted. After two weeks I realized I was so off the bandwagon. 

Britishgal - I think doing 7 or 14 days at a time is a great idea. Sometimes we just need the commitment even if its just for a bit. 

Also, it's time for me to start setting some rules. I think I'm happy with keeping bread out. I do miss it, but I recognize now how terrible it made me feel. Same for non special pastries - donuts and the stuff at starbucks which is expensive and not that good. I also will remember to add tons of veggies to all my meals. Makes me so happy, and I have fallen in love with broiled zucchini. I will stick to compliant ingredients more broadly without stressing about amount of sugar in sausages or what oil restaurant food is made in. And I will add red wine back, occasionally. I really don't miss beer and can do without. These are just random thoughts that I hope to consolidate into a good set of rules for myself soon. 

This forum has been a complete life saver every day. 

Jill P and Claire zip - a great glass of red wine is literally the only thing I have truly crazed this 27 days.  I am so looking forward to a great glass of cab!  

I also quit drinking coffee, which I drank way too much of... I was becoming an espresso junkie. And while I don't miss it at all, which shocks me, I can literally smell coffee brewing down the hall.  I can immediately smell the fresh ground aroma as anyone enters a meeting with a fresh cup of joe, even if it's fully closed and it's a huge room!

I may go back to having one small cup in the morning, but only if it doesn't snowball into a whole pot.

I do plan to incorporate wine back into my diet, but just a few glasses a week. But before either of those, I'm sticking to this whole 30 diet until 10/26. Afterwards, I'll just add in those two things and maybe some greek yogurt. I'm going to trickle in different things and see if anything effects my digestion.

Hey everyone! I've just been reading the last few days without posting. Day 27! That's pretty amazing! I'm looking forward to the first 30 days being over... Even if it's just a stepping stone into the next 30+ days. I do plan to weigh and retake pictures as I did on day 1 of this whole30. I toyed around with the idea of having a special dinner the day after finishing whole30 but I honestly can't really think of anything that I'm craving that would be worth the misery I might feel afterward. When I changed to paleo eating in March, on occasion I would indulge in something containing grains like bread or corn on the cob and afterward my stomach would be so messed up! Dairy makes me bloated. If I don't eat sweets, I don't miss them. At this point, it would seem that I have found my best way of eating. It would be nice to have a slice of pizza (my boyfriend and I have 3 kids: 13, 12, and 11) with my family once in a while but at what expense? I would spend the rest of the night in the bathroom from that food choice. Is whole30 time consuming? Yes. Is it worth it? It definitely is to me! I'm sure I'll slip here and there, nobody's perfect but I will do my damnedest to keep it to the very minimum. No mindless eating. Maybe a special meal or treat once a quarter or only on super special occasions.

So proud of all of you for sticking with this eating plan! Can't wait to hear about everyone's results on day 31!!

HI All,

I too have been super busy at work the last couple of days, and our internet monitoring is being enforced these days, so no jumping on here for a quick read and note anymore :ph34r:.

I have been really worried about my old eating habits just coming right back also.  I am continuing on for 60 days, then will decide if it will be 90,etc.  I have such major food issues, and this has helped so much, but they are still lurking right under the surface, so I think I'll benefit from more time. Basically, I'm scared to not have the structure. I'm eating such good food, I'm not really feeling that deprived.  I DO have to agree, the eating out and social aspect have been a little bit of a drag.   I also have a good 30-40lbs. to take off.  AND I haven't started exercising regularly.  I'm worried my old habit of "I worked out so I can eat this, donut, chocolate, burger, etc." will be triggered. I used to use Oatmeal and peanut butter for my work out fuel.   I have tried hard boiled eggs, and almonds for a PreWO snack and some sweet potatoes for PostWO snack, and that seemed to work well.  Again, just need to feel confident about that, and I'm not quite there yet.

I really want this program to be the Life Changing event I've been searching for, and I think that will only happen if I keep focused and aware of the food I'm eating.  I've really enjoyed cooking and trying new recipes. My old ways were "pretend" healthy, like, plenty of fish and chicken, but not enough veggies, or good fats.  The bread is a little difficult.  Sometimes I just want to sink my teeth into a sandwich with soft bread, or some raisin cinnamon toast with peanut butter. :P

But for the most part, I seem to have got off "easy" with just one or two days of cravings, and I think that was totally hormonal related.

I AM tired of still reading labels for some things, I just want some sausage!  I don't have a Costco membership(shocking I know) so haven't had the compliant ones they sell.  But those also were FWOB for me, so I'm hoping the 60-90 days will decrease my FWOB list.

I like everyone's ideas of how they will continue after the 30 days.   Sounds like we have all had some good insight about our eating habits. 

good question someone had.....for us continuing past 30, should we keep using this forum or create another one?  As long as the Forum moderators don't mind us continuing on this one, I'm good with staying here.

I hope those that are done at 30 will keep posting for a little bit to share how reintroduction is going.  And I think it's safe to say, we are all still here for support anytime! :wub:

this has been a great experience using the forum.  I'm usually not so open with sharing with "strangers" and I'm glad I am slowly letting go of that, and getting more comfortable sharing on here. 

I'm not sure what to do with myself if I'm not in the kitchen!  :D  just a few veggies to cook today, but that's it.

Hope you all have a good weekend.  Really, you are all such a great group of Ladies, and an inspiration.

Jclayton79, you hit the nail on the head.  I'm right there with you on the "is it worth it?"   This eating style suits me well also, sure I'll eat some dark chocolate here and there, maybe a bite of some "treat" but who knows, it might not be as satisfying as previously. And I sure DO NOT miss the crashing from sugar. I too don't miss it when I don't eat it.

Someone mentioned coffee.  I was so surprised I didn't miss it either!  I made a personal choice to not have it these 30 days, but was loose with that rule, so had black coffee here and there.  I can actually say I like the taste of black coffee now, :o

What's funny though, I noticed I didn't get irritable or have a crash a few hours after drinking it, and I always did when I added cream and sugar.

Learning some good things for sure!

I don't think anyone would mind using this forum after the 30 days. I'll be hanging around too, if you don't mind, to trouble you guys with reintro questions (for those of you reintroducing stuff soon) and it'll be helpful to know how it goes for you as well. 

I agree with you on "is it worth it". I'm at a coffee shop and would have mindlessly picked up a muffin and put cream in my coffee. But I don't think I really want that. Dairy makes me sleepy and muffins just make me feel awful. I just forget I don't want it, which is the problem. 

Wow, my taste buds have changed!  I can't get over how insanely sweet raw strawberries are.  I had some roasted beets yesterday that were amazing, too.  I just had a 1/2 cup of mixed berries with nothing on them and felt my blood sugar start zinging like I hate half a cup of gummy bears. What's that about?! Crazy.

Has anyone had any trouble keeping their fat intake down?  I have been tracking my food on my fitbit, and find that while eating a very healthy diet and balanced meals, they are consistently around 50% fat, which is not healthy.  I thought 30% was the goal, but maybe I'm wrong.  Somehow protein and carbs are hovering much lower than fat. I have a handful of nuts, 1 egg yolk with my egg every few days, some coconut oil, avocado, and olive oil with salads. All healthy stuff, but then chicken or turkey also have fat... somehow no matter what I do, I'm around 50% fat.  Anyone else finding this? Think it's unhealthy?

Thanks!

I'm glad we can continue to connect here after the 30 days are up (for me that is tomorrow!)  It'll be great to have those of you reintroducing stay on too - it will give me a foreshadow of what I can expect at the end of my 60!! 

Jclayton - you don't need to post that pic and give the rest of us baby fever too!! :)  Just kidding - I'd love to see her! 

The only thing I find I really miss are latte's.  I don't eat/drink much dairy, but I love a creamy latte.  I've actually recently switched to drinking tea.  I couldn't get behind the coconut milk in the coffee and I am just not enjoying my coffee black - at all!  I found a great tea store that sells delicious loose leaf teas.  I have been really enjoying the amazing flavours!  

• Administrators

Wow, my taste buds have changed!  I can't get over how insanely sweet raw strawberries are.  I had some roasted beets yesterday that were amazing, too.  I just had a 1/2 cup of mixed berries with nothing on them and felt my blood sugar start zinging like I hate half a cup of gummy bears. What's that about?! Crazy.

Yes to this, completely! I used to enjoy a piece of fruit every day but then for the end of the second week I started to cut it out....had a piece here and there and it hits me like a sugar-bomb and then makes me feel sluggish and heavy afterwards, really don't appreciate the feeling. I just feel like my body runs cleaner and more efficiently on veggies only as my carbs. Fruit in a pinch...but it's not my first or best choice.

• Administrators

I'll be staying on this thread also as I'm going to Dec 16th with a Whole100...will be really interested to see how the folks doing reintro do...and of course the support of those sticking it out for extended durations will be awesome. Perhaps those staying the course can help provide motivation for those doing reintro if they feel their sugar-dragon/FWOB demons raring up as they start testing foods?

I've cut way back on fruit also & really don't miss it, is that bad? Lol

It's funny, the week I was eating mostly sweet pots.as my veggie I felt sluggish, cut back on them & know they are a good post WO food.

greens seem to sit well with me, but go thru burn-out phases.

Yes, I'm interesting in hearing how the re-intro goes too. Day 28!!!! I'm so excited for 30 I want to cross today off already & I still have dinner. :)

My sister will be in town Tues. & she eats a fairly clean diet, so I may enjoy some food with her, just a taste, I'm not interested in feeling sick

from eating something....

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

I had a family wedding plus travel over the weekend. Called the hotel ahead of time, told them I had dairy and gluten allergies. They happily accommodated me for the reception dinner. Only off roading I did was a shrimp cocktail for appetizer and unknown ingredients in the salad dressing. I refused the wedding cake, drank club soda with a splash of grapefruit juice and, overall, did fine. My day 30 is tomorrow! Looking forward to reintroduction but am not going to rush it. I feel so good now that I don't want to jeapordize it.

Well today was my day 30 - I started sept 6.  

I decided to indulge in a glass of red wine to celebrate making it this far and carry on with 30 more days starting tomorrow. 

I can't believe the flavour burst in that glass of wine!  I don't think it's feeling great on my body though.  Crazy! 

I weighed myself today and I think I'm down 10lbs (my scale is so goofy and unreliable that it could be a pound or two either way really).  But i am happy with that, and I'm so happy the way I have been feeling on this whole 30.  I can't wait to carry on tomorrow for another 30!  

Archived