Brewer5 and Kmlynne - We're in this Together! :)

Kmlynne

Ladies...yesterday was my day!  I ignored the usual "voices" about eating bad things and I made it through one whole day eating totally healthy, totally compliant.  I am so excited now and am going to the grocery store to stock up on veggies (one thing I've been sorely missing).  Yes, yes, yes, I just needed to get through that first day!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies...yesterday was my day!  I ignored the usual "voices" about eating bad things and I made it through one whole day eating totally healthy, totally compliant.  I am so excited now and am going to the grocery store to stock up on veggies (one thing I've been sorely missing).  Yes, yes, yes, I just needed to get through that first day!!

Congratulations!!!   :D

I hope you will continue to post here with us.  We are all pretty close together!

Yeah!!!! All it takes is a day - and that first one can be hard!

Day 9

Ugh - didn't sleep well today. In bed after 8 and the first time I saw the clock was a little after 10. ....then 1030....then 11..... I gave up around 1 and crawled out of bed with a killer pounding headache. *sigh*

A hot shower and some food helped but it's going to be a long day.

The good hing is that DD comes home today (haven't seen her in a week and a half) and DS is off work. I don't want to miss a family dinner together and since my head hurts too much to think about cooking, I made the decision that we are going out to eat :)

-------------------

So, was out running errands (including grocery store) and got a call from work. Long story short, I am working tonight. Why can't I say no? Am still going to dinner with my kids and getting off an hour early so I can make them breakfast in the morning. Won't see my bed til almost 9 tomorrow..... Oh my.....

In the meantime, I have been making spicy tuna cakes (with salmon) to make lunches for all three of us tomorrow (I'll take mine to work). Am thinking about making paleo pancakes for the kids tomorrow if I find a good recipe. Planning ahead is key in this house!

------------------

M1: eaten before going to bed - when I hit the fresh air I was suddenly starving - banana and almond butter

M2: scrambled eggs, sautéed asparagus and mushrooms

Day 12

M1:  scrambled eggs (3), ghee, 1/2 avocado

M2:  grilled chicken tenders, broccoli, yellow bell pepper, onion, ghee/coconut oil, 1/2 banana

M3:  ground beef, zucchini, red & orange bell peppers, onion, TJ's marinara, golden potato, ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (28 oz), water, juice of entire lime in hot water.

Trying to cut back on coffee, a couple of ounces at a time.  I really like to sip on it throughout my day, and especially while we are doing school work.  But it just seems excessive to me lately.  I have a lot of tea in the cabinet that I need to explore again.  I go through cycles with my coffee like this -- months on, months off.

Today I just felt..... really not good.  I slept in, did not set my alarm, because I was starting to feel this way last night -- like I just needed it.  Well, I woke up feeling just, I don't know, heavy, like I couldn't shake the fog, and achy.  I thought this would wear off as my day went on, and it just... didn't.  I didn't shower -- in fact, I did not even change out of my pajama pants that usually drive me nuts (they're too big and they fall off when I walk, lol).  I never stay in my pajamas all day, unless I am sick.  So I guess I must have been sick.

I have been taking 5-HTP, which is used to boost serotonin, for many months now.  I take it before bed.  I'm starting to wonder if my dose is too high now (since Whole 30), or if I really was sick / fighting something off today.  I did start to feel better when I got supper almost done and I have felt pretty normal  since then.  I am not going to take it tonight at all.  I have a lower dose coming from Amazon -- was supposed to be here today, but didn't show up.

Today was supposed to be a workout day, too, but -- no way.  Looking forward to a fresh new day tomorrow.  And a shower!   :)

Day 13

M1:  scrambled eggs (4), ghee/coconut oil

M2:  steak w/ ISWF mocha rub, broccoli, yellow bell pepper, onion, ghee/coconut oil

pre-workout:  hard-boiled egg w/ homemade mayo

post-workout:  canned pumpkin, 1/2 banana, cinnamon

M3/also PWO:  ground beef, onion, homemade taco seasoning, beefsteak tomato, russet potato, ghee

M4:  scrambled eggs (3), ghee/coconut oil

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (26 oz), sparkling water, water.

I've had no good veggies to go with my breakfast the past couple of days, so I upped the # of eggs this morning.  Now I have a nice bag of spinach and onions that will be getting cooked with my eggs tomorrow.

If you have not tried Dallas & Melissa's steak rub yet -- I highly recommend it.  It is really the only good thing I have ever done with steak.  We enjoy steak at a restaurant, but could never make them good at home before this recipe.  My husband does not like it because it is heavy on the black pepper -- even after I try to reduce it.   :rolleyes:   But the kids and I LOVE it and have made it many times.

Karen, hope things are going well for you!  You, too, Aunt sweitzel!  

Spicy tuna cakes sounds really good!

BTW, give each of the kids a hug from me... 

Spicy tuna cakes recipe is on the website www.nomnompaleo.com  - I use salmon in place of the tuna for a couple reasons:  1) I cant find (in local stores) tuna without soy in it and 2) I have been ready more and more about the high mercury level in tuna.  I probably don't eat enough to worry about it (the last article I read recommended limiting tuna to 4oz a week) but since I like the salmon, I go for it.  I also make sure that there is no color added.  Did you realize that the nice pretty pink color of salmon steaks  at the deli is because they add color to the fish??????  Crazy.

Kids say "HI" :)

Day 1

As you can tell by the start of this, yesterday wasn't to great......  Not horrible, but it started with a chip dipped in cheese sauce (just one).  At the end of the day, DD wanted ice cream - I went for sorbet which really isn't that horrible (fruit mash, fruit juice - oh yeah, I guess it does have alot of sugar in it too).  I caved on the sorbet since I knew that I was started over anyway......  Too much stress.  (Was told by my manager - the staff meeting next week is now mandatory (no conference call ins) because the upper administration is going to be present.  That, with the recent layoffs and pay cuts, along with rumors that the hospital is being bought out... well, can we say stress?  We are all joking with each other about bringing in a box to clean out our lockers..... *sigh*).

Beside the food, yesterday was fairly good.  Home in time to get DD off to school.  I didn't make her breakfast because she didn't want to eat.  She isn't much of a morning person and is very grouchy.  We talked about it last night and she talked me into buying her the carnation instant breakfasts.  Not ideal - far from it, in fact - but maybe better than going completely without??????  I don't know.  I would love to get both the kids eating better, but as long as she lets me continue packing her lunches and making dinner, I guess that helps.

I went to bed for an hour and got back up to make breakfast for DS - got as far as putting a waffle in the toaster oven and stumbled back to bed.  At least his lunch was already packed. 

I woke up at noon and couldn't get back to sleep so I took the dogs for a walk.  We went along a new trail we had found (not on maps and fairly old) which came out in a huge cleared area where I suppose a housing development will eventually go.  Found a couple geocaches too.  It was just a short walk.

Back home to cook dinner (well fed's chocolate chili) - at least cook it to the simmer point so it could go in the crock pot to simmer and be ready for the kids in the evening.  I also packed my meals for today as well as the kids lunches.  A quick shower and I was back at work for the PI project - which is when I found out about the upcoming staff meeting - which is when I at the chip and dip....  Then on to the chiropractor....  Then to church early to get payroll done....  Then church service...  Then meeting with pastor and finance team (just a little bit of stress there) ....  and finally home.  That is when DD said she wanted ice cream - well, it all started with a chick fil a shake craving but we ended up at the grocery store for ice cream.  I did make some obligatory noise about "I shouldn't", but then figured since I had caved earlier....  Well, I ate that whole pint.  I suppose in the old days ( :rolleyes: ) that would have been ice cream instead of sorbet and would have led to a bag of chips and various other things - so, since I am back on track I guess it isn't soooo bad.  I just cant figure out how I did 100 days earlier this year and am struggling so much this time.

So, new day - new start.  I am at work today (day shift) and "trapped" in the ILN, so wont be tempted by the goodies in the lounge - can only eat what I brought with me. :P

M1:  spicy "tuna" cakes, frozen broccoli and cauliflower, grapes, two brazil nuts 

(*on the brazil nuts - I read an article and then saw it mentioned by Tom Denham about something (selenium?) in the nuts counteracting the mercury? so I had bought a small bag so that I could eat 1 or 2 a day.  I never really got in the habit.  Well, I read a new study a little bit more recently that a single serving of brazil nuts (4) could bring cholesteral levels down faster than statin drugs and that levels remain lowered even a month after that single ingestion.  So, I am going to try to eat them a little more frequently.)

M2:  chocolate chili, carrot sticks, guac,

M3:  chicken breast, frozen broccoli and cauliflower, sweet potato

Ah, Karen, sorry to hear of your derailment and VERY sorry to hear of all your stress at work.  But you know what?  I am really impressed with you getting right back at it today.  Really.  

You know, I almost forget that I had that 2nd attempt at a Whole 30 shortly after my first -- and I was derailed by wanting to have some heavy cream in my coffee.  It pissed me off, that something so "relatively minor" could make me feel like a failure.  And it sent me away from the Whole 30 for some time.

I don't feel like that time away really did me much good.  After all, here I am again.  ;)

So congratulations on being smarter than me!   :D   It's a new day! 

Karen, thanks so much for the recipe...I'm going to get the ingredients today.  And, I agree with Brewer5, so glad you popped right back on W30.  That's not easy and you should feel proud.

I'll try to make this short, but have to tell you both a story.  In Dec, I got two darling kittens.  It turned out that I was allergic to them, but already was in love so I just put up with it.  I started W30, the symptoms stopped after a while and I thought I had just gotten use to the little critters. Then the first of Aug I had my hospital stay and minor surgery and came back home depressed for some reason.  I went off my eating plan and one day led to another and another.  All of a sudden my allergies came back with a vengeance.  I had to go out to get Benadryl because my eyes were itching and watering so badly.  Well, a month later I was able to finally get back on track.  This is now the 4th day I've been compliant and guess what...my allergies are gone, I mean GONE!  I'd like to shout from the rooftops that if you have allergies, try eating clean instead of taking meds.  It may work for you too!  How many other things are being repaired in our bodies (that we can't see)?????  The possibilities are endless!  :) 

BTW, you both are such an inspiration to me!

Day 14

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, onion, coconut oil

M2:  chicken breast tenders, red bell pepper, onion, coconut oil/ghee

M3:  grass-fed bison liver (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/01/08/crispy-spiced-chicken-livers/), broccoli w/ coconut oil, russet potato w/ ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (24 oz), juice of an entire lemon in hot water, water.

ISWF Thought of the Day:  I have discovered there is something magical about cooking eggs in a ghee/coconut oil combo, that does not happen when I use either of these oils alone.  I find it awesome that I am on Day 14 and I can use the words "eggs" and "magical" in the same sentence!   :D   A lot of folks are very tired of eggs by this point.

I took half the dose of my 5-HTP last night, and woke up with that "been run over by a truck" feeling again this morning.  Also hit the snooze on two alarms and went back to sleep.  That is not normal for me, and I don't care what time it is.  If the alarm goes off on my phone for whatever reason -- I am UP.  Today, I had slept over 8 hours and still slept in?  Hmmmm.  I had crazy dreams, too, and was up two times to pee, which again, is not normal for me.  Just did not feel like I slept soundly at all.  I am seriously thinking that I do not need the 5-HTP (or at least I don't need to take it at bedtime!) since I am eating Whole 30 style.  ...I maybe wasn't taking it during my last Whole 30?  I bet I wasn't.  I will have to think about that one.  Anyway -- not taking it tonight, so we'll see how tomorrow goes.  Goodnight all!   :)

Okay, this was too good not to share.  I found a recipe for "Curry Spice Blend" (1 T curry powder, 1 T onion powder, 1 T paprika, 1/2 T cinnamon and 1 T sea salt).  I took pork chops, rubbed them with coconut oil, then rubbed them with the spice blend and grilled them in a grill pan.  I grilled asparagus at the same time in the same pan.  OMG was it yummy!  I made extra spice rub and put it in one of the spice jars you bought for me at Pensey's, Karen.  AWESOME!

Day 15 -- halfway there!  Although... really enjoying the food, the structure, and feeling pretty good, sooo...  not sure what I am counting down to!   :rolleyes: 

...Ah, I suppose I will feel differently when that day comes and I want to start to try re-intros.  We'll see. 

M1:  scrambled eggs (4), coconut oil/ghee

M2:  grilled chicken breast tenders, french green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, coconut oil/ghee

M3:  whole avocado (while cooking):  ground beef, diced sweet potato, onion, orange bell pepper, coconut oil/ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (22 oz), sparkling water, water.

I don't usually list my spices but we use a lot of garlic powder & salt.  Tonight there was also paprika & cinnamon in the beef/sweet potato skillet meal.  sweitzel -- Thanks for the tip about the "curry spice blend" -- and I will try it on pork chops.  That sounds really good!   We haven't had pork chops in awhile... I don't know why but every time I look at them at the store and see $4.19+ per pound, I just haven't been able to make myself do it.  Probably because we are feeding THREE growing boys, and they love them some pork chops!   :D  But now that I have a new way to cook them, well... I will just have to get some.

Day 16

M1:  scrambled eggs (4), coconut oil/ghee

pre-workout:  hard-boiled egg w/ homemade mayo

M2/post-workout:  sweet potato, 1/2 can tuna, (2) raw brazil nuts

M3:  ground beef, italian seasonings, zucchini, red & yellow bell peppers, onion, TJ's marinara, whole avocado

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (20 oz), sparkling water, water.

I broke my own rule today when I decided to have those two brazil nuts with my tuna.  Karen, you scared me into it.   :D  Actually, quite NO need to worry because raw brazil nuts are nasty and I would _never_ binge on them.

I decided just to try 1/2 can of tuna, also, and it did not make me feel weird.  So, maybe an entire can was too much.  Maybe the selenium helps.  Maybe I was just eating too much tuna overall.  Karen, what I read long ago was NOT to eat albacore, as they are bigger fish, they live longer, and therefore have more time to accumulate heavy metals.  I was under the impression we should stick with the "light" tuna.  Is this still the current line of thinking?

Had a good day, good workout, even got a neighborhood walk in with my husband.  But we got up EARLY for football again, and I am ready to go to bed early, too.  Hope you both are having a good weekend!

Karen, what I read long ago was NOT to eat albacore, as they are bigger fish, they live longer, and therefore have more time to accumulate heavy metals.  I was under the impression we should stick with the "light" tuna.  Is this still the current line of thinking?

That, I don't know. The article was just using generalizations. Tuna was one of the "worst" and salmon one of the "best". There were about five other fish mentioned (haddock, tilapia, etc). It was one of those articles that kinda just stuck in my head even though I didn't study it :)

Day three

Up to make breakfast for DD before her band competition. A quick stop for work then off to my moms. We hiked 6 miles together then sat on the couch for hours just chatting. Great day!

Now I am tired and work will come early in the am. Good night all!

Day 17

M1:  scrambled eggs (4), kale, onion, ghee/coconut oil

M2:  1/2 can tuna, (2) brazil nuts, mini sweet peppers, guacamole

M3:  hard-boiled egg w/ homemade mayo (while cooking):  ground beef, onion, taco seasonings, spinach, guacamole, carrots, potato, ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (18 oz), sparkling water, water.

Had a productive morning, getting stuff done around the house.  Then my oldest had a baseball game this afternoon and he got to pitch, so that is always good.  :)  

Came home ~really hungry~ and found a rat in the middle of our living room.  ...My son's pet rat, Cookie!  :D  She is sick, she has two huge tumors plus an X-ray showed it has spread to her lungs, as well.  Well, that is not keeping her from figuring out how to get out of her cage!  I think she was looking for us.  She is refusing to eat, she is breathing heavily, acting strange, and I will be surprised if she makes it past tomorrow.  So, sad evening here.  :(

Day Four

Started out as a good day - packed my meals and headed off to work.  Not too busy at work.  avoided the staff lounge temptations.

Then I got home......

I was chatting with DD and brought up the holidays.  Originally my brother was coming home for Christmas (he lives in Thailand).  He had to change his plans and is coming home for Thanksgiving instead.  Thanksgiving week and weekend is my time to have DD home with me.  It is her father's holiday (and I am working).  When I told her that I understood that she would go to her dad's for Thanksgiving day, and could stay the night if she wanted (since I am working) but I wanted her home early friday afternoon as we were going to my mom and dads for friday and saturday to visit with my brother.  She told me I had to make sure it was ok with her dad since it was his holiday and he want to go out of town with her that weekend.  I told her that he should have asked me to have her extra time on my weekend.  This resulted in a huge fight and I was made out to be the bad guy since she can't go out of town to be with her step mothers family for thanksgiving.  I am so upset!!!  I actually found myself (and really couldn't stop myself) looking in all my hiding places for candy, chips, food etc.  Fortunately, there was nothing in any of them.  When I said I cleaned out the house - I meant that I cleaned out the house!  I found myself crawling into bed with a package of hot dogs (compliant) before I really came to my senses.  Wow....  I can't believe that those old binging habits came out of nowhere and grabbed me so quickly.

So, instead of jumping in the car and heading out to fast food or the grocery store, etc, I have packed my meals for tomorrow (in case I get called into work) and am heading for bed.  

M1:  3 sb eggs, chicken apple sausage, can organic vegetable soup

M2:  chocolate chilie, broccoli and cauliflower (frozen)

M3:  hot dog (compliant)  one of the pack that went to bed with me - the rest got put away.  Didn't bother with veggies - just heading to bed.

Archived