Brain fog, energy low, poor recovery (day 9)

Hi,

My bf is long and lean - 6'3" and moving around 170lbs (he would prefer I say 180). When we do Whole30s he spends a *long time*--like 20 days, in a brain fog, he has a lot of trouble not losing weight (which he hates), and his recovery is slow.

He's really pushing carb-rich veggies (sweet potatoes mainly) and I'm pushing fat on him (avocado and coconut butter).

Last night I read an article about fructose intolerance and I wondered if he could be effected by that--he does have a lot of gas during the Whole30 and he does eat fruit, although more veggies than fruit.

Could any metabolism-machines out there respond? His experience is very different than mine and is difficult for me to troubleshoot.

• Moderators

Emily - I'm 6'2' and 185, so my body composition is similar to your bf's. I like his carb-rich veggie focus. Is he eating good portions of protein with each meal? I feel better when I am eating plenty of protein is why I ask. Us long and lean types need to eat a lot and it is easy during a Whole30 to let the overall calorie intake slip.

I'm curious about the 20 days of brain fog during a Whole30. Does it lift after 20 days and then he's good for the last 10?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response! It's good to talk with someone else with his body type.

During that 20 days I can tell where he is with eating enough (of everything) and salt intake too by how well he is thinking and how he is behaving. He says he gets tired of eating (hard for me to imagine!) We have lots of discussions about eating enough and getting enough salt (he seems to be really sensitive to not enough salt). By day 20 usually he's gotten into a habit of eating enough and can hold on to it.

In some ways it just seems easier for him to eat the SAD... he doesn't have to eat so much. But he does care about his health.

One other factor that I know is involved is that he is in his first 100 days of being off nicotine (officially I think it is day 77 or so). He used nicotine for about 20 years, so I know this is a big change for his body... hard to factor that in.

FYI for folks reading- it was doing our last Whole30 that really got him off the nicotine!

• 3 months later...

Ooo... So glad to hear that the W30 helped with kicking nicotine! I started smoking again here and there a few months ago and now I'm full on... Blegh!! I gave my last pack away tonight, so no-smoking starts again for me tomorrow!!

Your post was a few months ago. Has your bf found any solutions with the brain fog?

Hi Phanniemae!

Hooray for quitting! I'm happy to say my bf uses NO NICOTINE now!

As for brain fog, he just has to make sure he eats enough. Starchy carbs (sweet pots, squash) are sometimes the problem, while other times fats seem to help.

Archived