snacks

rzarley

I am on day 12, and its going pretty well, but I need some easy snack ideas.

My work schedule forces me to go about 1 hour longer between meals than I can. I eat pretty well at meals, but am at a loss for good "meal template" snacks I can squeeze bites in between patients.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions to offer, but it sounds like I am in a similar situation. When working, I eat lunch between 1:00 - 1:30 and don't get home for dinner until 8:00 -8:30. I'm usually booked up seeing patients and unable to eat anything other than a bar or jerky stick; I'm certainly not able to eat a mini template meal.

Oh, I guess I have some suggestions: I have to limit my egg consumption, but I thought of hard boiled eggs or egg muffins made with veggies, Rx bars, Epic bars (not Bison, it contains brown sugar) and the aforementioned jerky sticks.

What's in your lunch these days?  What if you have 3/4 of what you make or buy for lunch at lunch then use the rest for a minimeal three hours later?  Any chance you can get a 15 minute block knocked out of the afternoon back to back patient grind even if it ends up really being 5 minutes an hour later than planned?  Take the time to be Ed Norton at the table in that Honeymooners scene.  Ripping open a wrapper or viking chugging a ziploc gives your mouth something to do, but it may not align with the conscious act of shutting out all the distractions and plugging your brain into the satisfaction you need to span a huge gap from lunch to dinner.

What about pate and vege sticks as a quick snack break - you've got fat, protein and some vege, plus it's pretty portable.

And egg muffins, as Andria suggested, are an excellent option.

Or just some cold meat (chicken, sausages, meatballs) and raw or pre-cooked vege, all pre-cut into bite sized chunks, with some mayo to dip them in - 1 sausage and some broccoli isn't going to take more than 5 minutes to eat.

Or dates, stuffed with pate, wrapped with proscuitto. (That's not quite template, though. Oooo, button mushrooms stuffed with pate wrapped with proscuito. That'd be great.)

I don't really have time to have an away from my desk snack. And I'm sorry, but I am unwilling to try pate. It needs to be something I can have a bite, go room another patient or get labs drawn or help the doctor and then have another bite. I will try epic bars, they are at my local earth fare. Thanks everyone.

Remember we can eat cashews, macadamia nuts, and raisins. I combine 1/4 cup cashews, 4 little macadamia nuts, and less than 1/4 cup raisins (with no added sugar). That helps me until the next meal!

Also:

Hard boiled egg

Bacon or other cold meat

Some dried fruit, just careful how much

I also tend to eat half of my meal one at one point then a couple hours later I eat the rest of it.

I don't really have time to have an away from my desk snack. And I'm sorry, but I am unwilling to try pate. It needs to be something I can have a bite, go room another patient or get labs drawn or help the doctor and then have another bite. I will try epic bars, they are at my local earth fare. Thanks everyone.

You don't need to apologise :) - more pate in the world for me!

Archived