W30 approved desserts, fruit snacks - from W30 Recipes on Instagram!

Deb.

Good news!

Some great fruit snack and dessert recipes posted on the W30 endorsed W30 recipes Instagram feed. A dessert, a fruit pizza and even a smoothie! These are cut and pasted directly from the official Whole 30 Recipes. They look delicious!

Strawberries with Whipped Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk. 

am @amazon_ashley and I just wanted to share a quick tip for the closest thing you will get to a whole30 dessert - I LOVE fresh sliced strawberries in creamy coconut milk. Now LETS TALK COCONUT MILK, most of what you find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store isn't compliant. You need to go to the Asian food isle of your grocery store and get the canned coconut milk. Check the ingredients, but it shouldn't have any added sugar or carageenans. Most are compliant! The great thing about canned coconut milk, it actually is the consistency is actually really creamy when you whip it up, you wont get that with bottles or carton coconut milk. I love opening those cans and using a hand mixer to make whipped coconut cream, I should make a video- noted! Anyways- whipping some up and throwing it on strawberries, grilled peaches, etc is a dream! Give it a try- enjoy! #whole30 #whole30recipes Be back soon with more tips & tricks! @amazon_ashley over & out!

http://instagram.com/p/tdpmAZqV1K/?modal=true

Fruit Pizza

Ok! Last post of the day from yours truly,@amazon_ashley ! Keeping it simple & delicious for the night. Fruit Pizza, healthified. (That should be a real word) Watermelon slices, topped with fresh fruit of your choice! We went the banana, blueberry, fresh local peaches, kiwi & dried coconut route here. Hope you have a lovely evening, rest up because@amazon_ashley will be back tomorrow with even more whole30 goodness! Xoxo #whole30 #whole30recipes

http://instagram.com/p/tZOwyXKV-u/?modal=true

Peach Lemonade

Hey friends!! @amazon_ashley here at it again, I'm heading out the door for the night but wanted to quickly share this refreshing SPARKLING PEACH LEMONADE I make on days I miss diet coke the most!! It's really quite good, especially when water is boring you to tears 1 c Ice 2 whole peaches (peeled) Juice of 1 lemon 8 oz Pellegrino (Sparkling Water) *Blend all ingredients together, pour over ice. Yields 3 cups #whole30 #whole30recipes -- I'm @amazon_ashleyand I'd love you to follow the whole30 fun over with me! Have a fun Friday lovely peeps! Xoxo

http://instagram.com/p/tbaUtaqV0g/?modal=true

ENJOY! 

Welp.  I didn't think we could have smoothies or the breakfast cereal Swipe-po on a Whole 30.   

"Whisked the cream from a refrigerated can of coconut milk, till it was thick as pudding.  Then I tossed in a generous handful of finecoconut shreds, and a half handful of blueberries....The result was so thick and rich, creamy, with a few random pops of sweet, it really hit the spot.....I think that between teh coconut and coconut cream, I've got enough fat to last till lunchtime!!!!!"

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8931-confused/?hl=%2Bcoconut+%2Bmilk+%2Bblueberries#entry89280

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I am late to this party but I remember reading that a frozen banana blended in a blender/food processor was not okay..... It was considered SWYPO. It's the same reason why I cannot make "pancakes" - eggs, mushed banana, cinnamon and a couple of handfuls for frozen blueberries. It reminds us too much of the thing we are trying to substitute. 

"We want you to break that connection once and for all.  We want you to learn that you don’t need sugar as a pick-me-up, an emotional comfort, a reward for good behavior.  And to learn that, you need to break that pattern of crave sugar, get sugar.  So, Susan, while your frozen banana treats are Whole30 ingredient approved, the dessert itself is OUT.  Skip the Paleo sweet substitutes and focus on breaking that connection your brain has to sugar.  Craving sweets?  Eat a small amount of fat instead.  Fat is satiating – it tells your brain that it’s full and happy.  A few almonds or a quarter of an avocado goes a long way in satisfying hunger cravings without giving your brain the sugar it’s telling you it needs.  Tough it out, because changing this pattern and breaking this pattern will prove to be one of the healthiest, most rewarding, most freeing experience of your life."

"From a science-y perspective, a bowl full of frozen bananas every day, while a better food choice, is just as counteractive to restoring insulin sensitivity and breaking those sugar connections as any other form of sugar out there.   In fact, while we’ll never tell you bananas are “bad”, they are one of the least desirable fruits from our perspective – a ton of starch (sugars), and little nutrition compared to, say, richly colored cherries or berries.  When including fruit in your Whole30 plan, we’d want you to maximize nutrient density, and choose fruits that allow you to have more of them in a single serving!  You can have an entire cup of blueberries for the same sugar content as a small banana.  And that cup of blueberries goes a long way towards both giving you lots of naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, and making you feel satisfied with the amount of food on your plate."

That you for the links and the additional comments. I've been simply pouring a little coconut milk over my berries. I stick to low GI fruits like berries to begin with but eating them with healthy fat reduces the glycemic effect even further.

P.s. No I'm not diabetic, I prefer to keep it that way with my food choices. :)

Thank you all for your polite discussion around this topic. Here is the Whole30 official perspective:

The @Whole30Recipes feed is staffed by guest bloggers--people Robin and I have personally vetted ourselves. I try to keep an eye on what they post, but this past week has been insane work-wise, and I haven't been as attentive.

Ashley (our guest blogger) asked me about a peach "lemonade" beverage, and whether she could post it. I told her as long as it used just a little fruit juice for flavor, it was fine--we recommend "self-flavoring" water in this fashion often, by infusing it with fruit and herbs. I just now saw the actual recipe she posted (two entire peaches in an 8 oz. glass of water), and am confused about how she could have misinterpreted my instructions. This recipe has been deleted from our feed, as was another one I caught today, also fruit-based and "dessert-y."

As for strawberries with whipped coconut cream and the fruit "pizza" (which is really just a fancy fruit bowl), I'm fine with this as a Whole30 approved food. Should you eat these every night as dessert? Not if you want to change your habits. But if you want to enjoy fruit, or ave a special occasion in which you want to serve "dessert," these are perfectly healthy whole food options--and not at all the same as baking some almond-flour brownies.

If you feel like strawberries in coconut cream would send your Sugar Dragon for a ride, abstain... but we don't rule fruit out of the plan just because it's sweet and delicious. Fruit is food--just don't use it to prop up your sugar cravings.

I hope this helps to explain our position, and I thank you for pointing out the recipes on this feed that aren't in the spirit of the Whole30.

Best,

Melissa

Thank you all for your polite discussion around this topic. Here is the Whole30 official perspective:

The @Whole30Recipes feed is staffed by guest bloggers--people Robin and I have personally vetted ourselves. I try to keep an eye on what they post, but this past week has been insane work-wise, and I haven't been as attentive.

Ashley (our guest blogger) asked me about a peach "lemonade" beverage, and whether she could post it. I told her as long as it used just a little fruit juice for flavor, it was fine--we recommend "self-flavoring" water in this fashion often, by infusing it with fruit and herbs. I just now saw the actual recipe she posted (two entire peaches in an 8 oz. glass of water), and am confused about how she could have misinterpreted my instructions. This recipe has been deleted from our feed, as was another one I caught today, also fruit-based and "dessert-y."

As for strawberries with whipped coconut cream and the fruit "pizza" (which is really just a fancy fruit bowl), I'm fine with this as a Whole30 approved food. Should you eat these every night as dessert? Not if you want to change your habits. But if you want to enjoy fruit, or ave a special occasion in which you want to serve "dessert," these are perfectly healthy whole food options--and not at all the same as baking some almond-flour brownies.

If you feel like strawberries in coconut cream would send your Sugar Dragon for a ride, abstain... but we don't rule fruit out of the plan just because it's sweet and delicious. Fruit is food--just don't use it to prop up your sugar cravings.

I hope this helps to explain our position, and I thank you for pointing out the recipes on this feed that aren't in the spirit of the Whole30.

Best,

Melissa

Thanks Melissa, I am very glad this caught your attention. The Instagram feeds should definitely be closely monitored so as to avoid confusion and mixed messages. I have been very surprised at some of the recipes posted on the feed,  surprised that they had been vetted and approved by W30. Its a bit scary that out of all the people who saw these, seems I'm the only one who flagged it. I'm happy to help, of course. I also think that if guest bloggers ARE going to post W30 endorsed recipes like strawberries and cream and fruit pizza, and use words like "dessert" or "snacks" - well that's dangerous ground and will confuse those who don't know the rules. Guest bloggers should reiterate, in the Instagram post, how to eat these items in the spirit of the Whole 30, as you've done above. Thanks for the response, action and clarification. 

• Administrators

I was shocked myself, Deb, and actually ignored all of this week's guest blogger posts as I found them quite irrelevant to actually doing a Whole30. Very much rule-bendy and holy-fruit-heavy!

Glad to see Melissa comment on this!

Archived