Here... we... go... My First Whole30

MandyK

Today is Day 1 and it was kind of a long day... partly was work wasn't all that busy, but it felt mostly because i didn't have my triple latte that I normally do.  I could barely stay awake this morning...

For breakfast I had an egg fritatta with green/red peppers, onions, and some Adelle's chicken/apple sausage.  For lunch, I had a big spinach salad with a few slivered almonds, tomatoes, more sausage, and some orange slices with homemade dressing from the book.  Then for dinner we cooked some chicken in olive oil had a small gold potato and some broccoli.  I did have a snack on the way home from work too.. raw cashews and sugar snap peas... had to run errands and didn't want to get distracted by any bad food cause i was starting to get hungry!

I'm definitely not used to eating breakfast of substance, and felt full all morning.  SO much so that I didn't want to drink anything... except coffee ;)  which I didn't have...  I think I need to try some tea, cause I have a hard time not being able to put anything in my coffee.

Could really use some tea suggestions... any particular brands kinds that are good??  Or any particular almond milk or coconut milk that goes good in coffee?  I have a kcup brewer and was curious if the Sbux caramel cups were compliant or not, they say 'natural caramel flavor'...

Well Day 1 is done!

• Moderators

Caramel is cooked sugar so nothing caramel is okay. 

We discourage recommending brands of anything because here is what vendors do... they change their ingredients periodically so that a product that was compliant becomes non-compliant. If people are going on the basis of recommended brands, they are likely to miss that the ingredients are not actually compliant. And also, sometimes vendors sell a product with slightly different ingredients in different geographic areas so that a product might be Whole30-compliant in the north, but not in the south. You have to look at the ingredient label for yourself.

Stay away from flavored coffee! Sugar, sugar, sugar! I used to use the almond and coconut milks in the carton, but after reading ISWF, I use the canned, full-fat coconut milk. I found it tastes much better in coffee than the carton stuff. You'll have to look at tea ingredients since many have soy in them (why??), but I like herbal tea a lot and recently found a peppermint tea mixed with black tea for caffeine made by Yogi. 

Thanks for the helpful responses!! I managed to find some compliant tea! I'm so amazed at how many boxes I picked up that have stevia leaf in them!

So it's now the end of Day 3 and I made it!!! I think the hardest thing right now is drinking enough water, and just cooking all the time. I definitely need to spend my Sunday's prepping and cooking for the whole week so I can get a little down time after work.

Here's my last two days of food...

Day 2:

BF - Egg frittata with chicken/Apple sausage, peppers, & onions

Lunch - Spinach salad with tomatoes, chicken, sliced almonds,orange slices, and everyday dressing

Snack - Almonds, banana, and baby carrots

Dinner - Broccoli and chicken/Apple sausage

Day 3:

BF - Egg frittata with chicken/Apple sausage, peppers, & onions

Lunch - Spinach salad with tomatoes, chicken, sliced almonds, and everyday dressing

Snack - Apple, raw cashews, and snap peas

Dinner - Pork with mushrooms, small potato, and butternut squash

This may sound like a lot but I'm really trying to only do three meals a day. I'm just wondering if I need to keep that snack there cause I am what doctors would consider "morbidly obese", and may need a little extra until I'm down a few pants sizes?

• Moderators

If you're hungry, you should eat -- but your snacks, if you need them, should be mini meals of protein, fat, and veggies, just in a smaller portion than your regular meals. So maybe have a hardboiled egg with the snap peas and some cashews or other fat, or have some leftovers, instead of having fruit.

I'm morbidly obese and I manage on three meals a day most of the time, although if I know I'm going to have a long day at work (9-10 hours), I'll either take a full lunch and a mini meal to work and then eat supper when I get home, or take two full meals (lunch and supper) to work and then if I'm hungry when I get home have a mini meal. It's okay to eat if you're hungry, even if that means more than three meals a day. Three meals is ideal because it gives your digestive system time to process your meal and then rest before you eat again, as opposed to eating every 2-3 hours, which keeps it working all the time. (That's my really oversimplified version of what I read in It Starts With Food -- I really recommend reading it if you haven't, it gives a lot of the reasoning behind why the rules are what they are.)

If you find you can't go about five hours between meals, you may need to increase the amount of protein or fat in your meals.

Archived