Pickled Eggs

conniebug

I am just starting the prep work for my first Whole 30. I'm not a huge fan of eggs, but I know they will be easy and portable for work.

One of the few ways I like eggs is pickled using Ms. Wage's Dill Pickle Mix. The mix lists the ingredients as: salt, maltodextrin, garlic, spice extractives, and citric acid. White vinigar is added to the mix to make the brine.

Would the amount of brine that soaks into the eggs make this off limits?

Thanks in advance,

Connie

• Moderators

I am just starting the prep work for my first Whole 30. I'm not a huge fan of eggs, but I know they will be easy and portable for work.

One of the few ways I like eggs is pickled using Ms. Wage's Dill Pickle Mix. The mix lists the ingredients as: salt, maltodextrin, garlic, spice extractives, and citric acid. White vinigar is added to the mix to make the brine.

Would the amount of brine that soaks into the eggs make this off limits?

Thanks in advance,

Connie

You could try this recipe for pickled eggs from The Clothes Make the Girl, or this one from Whole Life Eating, and see if they work for you.

Thank you, Shannon, for the suggestions. I checked them out, but the one from The Clothes Make the Girl has suger in it (she says not to use it during the whole 30). Also, both of them are for pink, beet pickled eggs, not dill pickled eggs. I only like them dilled.

I guess I'll just have to find something else. I was really hoping having a few eggs would get me through my lunchtime at work. Back to the drawing board.

You could try this recipe http://www.pickyourown.org/pickledeggs.htm

The ingredients for the Dill version look compliant.

DILLED EGGS 
1 and 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon onion juice or minced onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 peeled garlic clove

Archived