overweight and pregnant

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of my friend who is quite overweight (100 lbs) and pregnant. She ate pretty horribly before. If she starts a Whole 30 now, I'm sure she will loose lots of weight. Would this be bad for the baby?

On the other hand, she would be eating nutrient dense food.

Thanks

I don't think that losing weight in this case while pregnant is a bad thing. Doctors usually caution against it because they worry the baby might not get enough nutrition, but if she's eating REAL food, the baby will get plenty.

Also, as her body starts losing weight slowly, she will also gain some more for the pregnancy weight and she should balance out fairly well, if she's careful with what she eats and gets enough carbs and fat for her and baby.

Another thing to consider is that she just really won't be able to control her cravings and aversions during pregnancy. Even Melissa Hartwig did not stick to an entirely Whole30 way of eating during pregnancy, and she's one of Whole30's creators.  Someone coming to Whole30 with no experience eating this way might find it even more challenging.

If your friend has specific questions about eating Whole30 while pregnant, we'd be happy to answer them. Whole30 certainly does not promise sudden, drastic, unhealthy weight loss, so from that point of view she will be fine.

It's much more than nutrition, the ketones from this kind of diet can be harmful to the baby...

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/ketones-14241?page=2

"Some women have low levels of ketones during pregnancy and this does not affect the fetus. But a moderate or high amount of ketones in a pregnant woman may harm the fetus and may be an indication of gestational diabetes."

It's much more than nutrition, the ketones from this kind of diet can be harmful to the baby...

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/ketones-14241?page=2

"Some women have low levels of ketones during pregnancy and this does not affect the fetus. But a moderate or high amount of ketones in a pregnant woman may harm the fetus and may be an indication of gestational diabetes."

Whole30 doesn't have to be very low carb nor should it be. Our recommendations for pregnant women involve much more starchy vegetables than a regular Whole30. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived