First Whole 30: day 2......dragging

Leah_1stw30

Hi there,

I'm on Day 2 of my first W30, and am starting to realize how much I was addicted to gum, snacking, and mindless/emotional eating!  I'm feeling really spacey, and having trouble concentrating at work. My allergies are BRUTAL and of course my go-to when I'm feeling sick (or sad, or stressed) is to EAT - fruit, veg, chocolate, whatever.

This is how I used to eat:

2 slices ezekiel bread with low sugar jam, and 1 cup of yogurt (splenda-sweetened/fruit) and 2 cups of coffee for breakfast. Lunch was usually a shake with frozen banana and blueberries (vanilla whey) and then an apple and yogurt and steamed cauliflower, then dinner was a huge salad and more ezekiel bread with low sugar jam, and then I would snack for the rest of the night on the couch.  

Night snacks would be whatever I happened to have: one night it could be watermelon (up to 1/2  a watermelon at a time), another night just a few apples with yogurt, another night a huge bowl of plain air-popped popcorn and some sorbet, and then even maybe a bag of black licorice.  Nighttime snacking in front of the tv is a serious issue, clearly!!  

Here is how my last two days have shaped up:

Day 1 (Oct 20th):

Morning:

spinbike for 30 mins, 3 glasses of water,

breakfast: 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 yam, green tea

lunch: 

3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 yam,. 2 cups steamed cauliflower

afternoon:

started to feel hungry around 530, as I was preparing my son's dinner, so I had a bowl of steamed green beans and baby carrots

dinner:
HUGE salad (mushrooms, tomatoes, cabbage, red onion, green onion, cucumber, 1 can tuna (in water), 1/5 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar), followed by 1 large banana sliced up with coconut flakes sprinkled on top.  This was not super satisfying, since it was so similar to what I used to have for dinner, but it used to be followed by a lot more snacking.

I felt reasonably full - not hungry, but very snacky after that.  Had some chamomile tea.

Day 2: 

slept in a bit by accident, but still managed to spin for 30 minutes, same breakfast as yesterday.  At work now, and eyes are itching, lips are itching, hands are itching!  Want some flavor (ie., crystal light in water, or gum) and obviously am refraining.  

Days seem to drag....hopeful that this will start to change?  Am I in sugar withdrawal? 

Hoping this is the hard part.....

I am on day one and feeling yucky already. I had 2 eggs with mushrooms, onion, peppers, and zucchini. I had 2 cups of coffee with almond milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2. I am not hungry but have terrible indigestion. I also had a paleo nut bar. I am headed to exercise. Good Luck  

• Moderators

A salad, even a huge one, is rarely enough. And one little can of tuna is nearly too light for supper, especially when your breakfast and lunch included only modest protein portions. You probably would have done better to have 2 cans of tuna on that dinner salad. And the fat portion of your dressing was way, way too light. Don't measure olive oil on a salad with a tablespoon. Pour it on straight from the bottle. The same with balsamic vinegar. Honestly, you have to eat generous meals to avoid snacking. 

Thanks for your reply!   The salad was a whole red pepper, two large tomatoes, 4 baby cukes, 1 small red onion, 4 green onions, 1/2 pint mushrooms, about a cup of shredded cabbage, and the  can of tuna was not the small ones they sell, but the 170g can (32 g protein) - is that really not enough? As for the oil, I was trying to go by a thumb size - I figured it was about 1.5 tbsp or so - is that really not enough?  I should just, free pour?  That concept is so foreign, lol!

Eat up, and eat lots more fat than you consider proper. About the time you think your fat consumption will send you straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, you're close.

Egg portions are the number of eggs you can hold in your hand. That will be 3 or 4 for most women.

You're not eating very much food, by your description (though your description of the salad veggies shows that you have lots of variety and lots of veggies). If you are using the large can of tuna that's equal to two of the cans Tom was talking about (I think).

You're just on Day Two, so you have lots of time to finesse your meal composition.  Just remember that you didn't eat much at all until night time snacking before this, so you will need to re-think the sheer volume of food you need to eat to sustain life and health. Hint: eat more. I know, I know, that's exactly opposite of what women in our culture, hear, ever, under any circumstances, but eat up.

If you're hungry/lightheaded between meals, you can eat another full meal or a mini-meal using template proportions.

I am on day one and feeling yucky already. I had 2 eggs with mushrooms, onion, peppers, and zucchini. I had 2 cups of coffee with almond milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2. I am not hungry but have terrible indigestion. I also had a paleo nut bar. I am headed to exercise. Good Luck  

There are a number of things that could cause indigestion from this meal, including the onions, peppers, and the nut bar. All of these can cause indigestion, especially if not cooked well.

You might tweak that meal as follows: 3-4 eggs (an egg serving is how many eggs you can hold in your hand) and sautee or roast the 2-4 cups of veggies until extremely well done - or substitute roasted sweet or white potatoes for the other veggies.  Make sure the almond milk in your coffee is Whole30 compliant (99.9999999 etc. % of commercial brands are not). If you're still hungry, don't eat a paleo nut bar (also check for compliance there - no sugar of any kind allowed) but instead eat more of your meal.

Hope the rest of your Day One goes very well, and that your indigestion simmers down soon.  Hang in there, eat up, and happy Whole30ing!

Hi Amy - thank you!  I know you're absolutely right - it's so hard to refrain from counting calories....it's scary, actually.  Re: fat, I've spent so many years staying away from it - other than in "worth it" desserts - that this will be something to work at!  

I'm going to be making a veg stirfry (thinking baby eggplant, garlic, roasted red pepper, baby bok choy....not sure yet) with either a chicken breast or tuna steak for dinner, followed by another banana and coconut flakes (that was yummy!) - does that sound like enough?  Or should I be adding some more fat to that somehow?  

I cut my eggs down to 2 for lunch, just to see what it felt like....and it wasn't enough.  I'll definitely need a small snack when I get home - probably an egg and some green beans (I can't just have veg, right?  I have to have protein too?)

On a side note: I'm quickly becoming addicted to tea!  Rooibos is amazing, nothing else necessary to add to it - loving it!

Hi Leah,

I'm on Day 2 of my first Whole30 too! Thank you for sharing your meals and experiences. I feel lightheaded, bloated, and I have a headache. I'm going to post a new topic in the same forum where I will  include more detail so feel free to comment if you have any tips.

Have a great day - keep up the good work. It's nice to know someone is on the same page.

- Lindsey

Hi Amy - thank you!  I know you're absolutely right - it's so hard to refrain from counting calories....it's scary, actually.  Re: fat, I've spent so many years staying away from it - other than in "worth it" desserts - that this will be something to work at!  

I'm going to be making a veg stirfry (thinking baby eggplant, garlic, roasted red pepper, baby bok choy....not sure yet) with either a chicken breast or tuna steak for dinner, followed by another banana and coconut flakes (that was yummy!) - does that sound like enough?  Or should I be adding some more fat to that somehow?  

I cut my eggs down to 2 for lunch, just to see what it felt like....and it wasn't enough.  I'll definitely need a small snack when I get home - probably an egg and some green beans (I can't just have veg, right?  I have to have protein too?)

On a side note: I'm quickly becoming addicted to tea!  Rooibos is amazing, nothing else necessary to add to it - loving it!

Yes, women especially have a hard time eating fat. I realized after I'd been eating Whole30 for a while that I equated feeling hungry all the time with being virtuous. Really great. :wacko:

You don't count cooking fat in your fat portion, so for your dinner, you'll need to drizzle some olive oil or add coconut milk or something. Definitey add fat. You might also consider eating chicken thighs and legs, so you at least get some fat from your chicken. (I know, I know, radical thinking here!)  The banana and coconut flakes can work if you're considering it a side dish, but we don't encourage the eating of dessert. That's your call, depending on how you view the experience.  You could, of course, also add coconut flakes to your stir-fry... thinking aloud here...

You can make your mini-meal according to what's available, if you don't have access to a full template's worth of options. In other words it's better to eat something rather than nothing. If you can try a mini template meal that's great, if not, and as long as you've got some fat in there :lol:  you'll probably do all right.

Carry on and enjoy! Also, I'll be there for dinner.  What time? :lol:

I'm actually having fun thinking up recipes now!  i've decided on this for dinner: baby eggplant stir fried with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, on top of spaghetti squash drizzled with olive oil and chicken breast to top!  yay!  

:P

ps - I hear you re: fats from meat - what about red meat which naturally has fat?  For example, a burger, or steak?

Hi all, I am also on day two. Things are going pretty well for me as I was mostly transitioned to paleo way of eating already. I cannot tolerate gluten but ate pizza on sunday night anyway and so I feel pretty awful, but its from the gluten---it takes abuot 4-5 days to clear my system. I'm hoping the Whole 30 can help me find a more sustainable way to eat. I have been struggling with 15 lbs since kid #2 (who is almost 4!) and finally got some results when I did the Lyn Genet "The Plan" which is basically a elimination diet. The problem with it was that I never really conclusively figured out what was bothering me and I was getting fixated on the scale. I lost 14 lbs but have now gained about 5 back. Hoping Whole 30 can get me some good results (compared to LG, the Whole 30 has a LOT more food choices and I think could be sustainable for me long term. 

I know my biggest challenge (and accomplishment on Day 30) will be the abstinence from alcohol. I normally drink 3-4 days per week and sometimes much more than I intend to. Another reset area.....Anyway, I'm looking for support and others going through this too. 

Welcome Melanie!  I hear you re: alcohol - but to be honest, I can't have just one glass of red wine, and I also find that it is a "gateway" to many poor eating choices......it's only 30 days though, and I was able to abstain through pregnancy and breastfeeding, so I should be able to handle a month, lol!

I'm actually having fun thinking up recipes now!  i've decided on this for dinner: baby eggplant stir fried with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, on top of spaghetti squash drizzled with olive oil and chicken breast to top!  yay!  

:P

ps - I hear you re: fats from meat - what about red meat which naturally has fat?  For example, a burger, or steak?

Now you're thinkin' Whole30-style!  Excellent!  Yes to all of this (especially about looking for fatty cuts of meat - particularly if grass-fed, dontchaknow, though this is not required on Whole30); and I think I need to do something like that for my own dinner very soon. Yum!

Hi y'all (from the south, sorry!)...I'm on Day 2 also, going pretty well. Missing a glass of wine here & there though! :) Today has been easier than yesterday, because I was busy at work.  I'm a hairdresser, so am away from the kitchen working, not sitting at a desk thinking about my food! I have been feeling like crap lately, because of not taking care of myself, so I hope this desire stays strong through the next 28 days!!! And the rest of my life, for that matter!

Leah, I am just like you as far as night snacking, emotional eating, etc.  I really want to break that, had tea last night, that helped!  I was going to say what others have already, that you probably aren't eating enough.  I think that has helped me to make sure I have plenty of food!  Keep it up! :)

Hi!

Day 1 and feeling the headache already.

My eating habits have been "kinda ok" for some months now and I have a long history of dieting, I even did a Lean Eating coaching in 2011 but all the good habits have deteriorated over time. I've been gluten-free since July, but have eaten rice and oats for carbs. My dairy consumption has been modest (greek yogurt, butter and full-fat cream) but regular. I know I've eaten way too few veggies and I'm kinda sick of eggs.

My big challenges are abstinence from alcohol like some of you and also, tobacco. Drinking is a big thing in my social outings. I also smoke when I'm stressed of p*ssed off, the craving is pretty intense at the moment.

I also have a thyroid disease (hypo), my medication is being modified and my doctor has instructed not to go lo-carb, so I'm wondering about how to get the right amount of carbs with a veggie heavy diet like this. Any thoughts on this?

Good luck to us all! :)

Hi!

Day 1 and feeling the headache already.

My eating habits have been "kinda ok" for some months now and I have a long history of dieting, I even did a Lean Eating coaching in 2011 but all the good habits have deteriorated over time. I've been gluten-free since July, but have eaten rice and oats for carbs. My dairy consumption has been modest (greek yogurt, butter and full-fat cream) but regular. I know I've eaten way too few veggies and I'm kinda sick of eggs.

My big challenges are abstinence from alcohol like some of you and also, tobacco. Drinking is a big thing in my social outings. I also smoke when I'm stressed of p*ssed off, the craving is pretty intense at the moment.

I also have a thyroid disease (hypo), my medication is being modified and my doctor has instructed not to go lo-carb, so I'm wondering about how to get the right amount of carbs with a veggie heavy diet like this. Any thoughts on this?

Good luck to us all! :)

Just keep in mind that Whole30 is not a low carb eating plan. Eat sweet potatoes, squash, white potatoes, and other starchy carbs regularly. You can do it!

I was about to say the same thing as Amy - lots of carbs to be had that are starchy, don't forget turnips, beets, rutabaga - all good starches!  Thanks Jennie - yeah, I upped my intake last night and this morning and am starting to feel better.  Had a stirfry of baby eggplant, onion, diced tomatoes,garlic, and mushrooms, on top of about 2 cups (mayb 3 cups?) of spaghetti squash and a nice juicy chicken breast, and a side of banana with coconut on top!  was perfect amount.  this morning upped my veg intake, had 3 eggs stirfried with diced tomatoes and baby kale, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato....and going to have my lunch now.  need to eat more to get used to the longer periods between meals - 6-7 hours....

Day 3! That means we are almost 10% through (but who's really counting;-0)

I'm good. I'm trying not to focus on what I can't have and what I CAN have...I'm eating a can of tuna (wild, pole caught---derish) over a clean out the fridge salad: roasted beets, celery, broccoli and zucchine with avadado, homemade sauerkraut and field greens with white basalmic vin and flax oil. Its SO good. 

Hope you all have a great day! 

Thanks for reminding, Amy and Leah. Sadly, I mucked up and smoked a cigarette after a fight with the spouse. So, it's Day 1 again.

Chin up!  You can do this!  

How is everybody else holding up?  I feel like I was cheating last night, after a big dinner (nice large portion of pork tenderloin, steamed bok choy topped with garlic olive oil and lime, and 3 bbq'd portobello mushrooms) I felt "snackish" and had 1 banana and a small bowl of frozen blueberries with grated coconut.  Arg.  In front of the tv and all.  :(  I couldn't tell if i was feeling hungry or not - convinced myself I was, clearly....

I felt like I was cheating last night too with 'flax snax' I bought at the Better Health store.  Everything in them is compliant but I was munching on them like chips.  I bought one pkg to take to a football party on Saturday so I have a snack and an extra bag to have around the house.  The extra pkg is almost gone.  Good thing I only bought two. Everything else is going pretty well.  I'm doubling up on my veggies at lunch and dinner which seems to be helping keep me full.

Here's my thoughts on all this 'cheating'---cigarettes aside---we are doing the best we can. Babies dont learn to walk with the first step. I guess I also 'cheated' last night too. I was also feel snacky and had a banana, cashews (a lot of cashews lol), shredded coconut and coconut milk. It was delicious but I was not really hungry. But it was also Friday night, a night when I usually have 3 glasses of wine and then snack a LOT. To me, last night was progress. Of course the ideal would have been not to snack but I'm totally GREAT with progress as long as I am compliant on the content of my food. Just my 2 cents...

Otherwise, how is everyone today?? DAY 6---that means we are 1/6 finished, three more Fridays to go! Its raining here today and Ia m going to do a lot of cooking and enjoy being present with my kiddoes. Have a good one!

Thanks Leah :).

It's Day 7! After the first blunder and a restart it's been pretty painless to do this. I didn't really get the Hangover of Kill All The Things. Maybe because I hadn't eaten much crap for a while before I started. The most uncomfortable thing has been some farily mild GI symptoms from eating all those vegetables (overshare, sorry). I did a Crossfit WOD on Tuesday and felt awesome and strong. So yay!

Archived