Newbie....and nervous!

MommafromTexas

I have read the book cover to cover and scoured the forums about as much as I can in preparation for the "big change."  :)  The two things I am going to miss are peanut butter (I am addicted....lol) and creamer and stevia in my coffee.  But I know I can do this.  For the past five or six months, I have pretty much been grain, dairy, and sugar free, so I'm hoping I have a little bit of a jump start.

But I do have a couple of questions:

If I work out first thing in the morning, it's my understanding that I would get five meals a day instead of three.  Is this correct?

One consisting of protein and a small bit of fat about 15-30 mins pre-workout and one consisting of just lean protein (no starchy veggies in my case because I would like to lose fat) within an hour of working out.  Should I add regular veggies like baby carrots or any other non starch veggie to this post workout meal?  And then of course, I would get three other meals during the day, right?

• Moderators

Do not eliminate all starchy veggies from your diet in your quest to lose fat. Many people need some starchy veggies to feel good physically and to think clearly, so you can mess yourself up by going too low carb/low starchy veggie. Also, eliminating starchy veggies is not at all necessary to burning fat. The critical issue for becoming an efficient fat burner is your hormones getting into a good rhythm and working with you instead of against you. 

I agree with Tom, with the added note that women generally report needing carbs regularly in order to feel fully functional - and our carb needs increase (for some of us, dramatically) around the time of our periods.

Eat up, enjoy, and hang out here for support and tips.

Here's a good list of carb-dense or starchy vegetables: http://www.balancedbites.com/PDFs/BOOK_EXTRAS/PracticalPaleo_GuidetoPaleoCarbs.pdf

Here's a list of non-starchy vegetables (what's funny is you'll see some overlap on the lists ...)
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/non-starchy-vegetables.html

Archived