Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Michele - we must be twins. I've had the tingling in hands before and this week it started up again. My doctor had sent me previously for a nerve conduction test to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome (which we did), but the cause could be anything from a thyroid imbalance to a pinched nerve in your neck or shoulder.

I, too, need to see my doc about the headaches, and will probably discuss HRT with him even though I have avoided it so far. Tired of losing sleep and dealing with the headaches and fiery hot flashes. I did some more reading today that suggests that using HRT does not raise your risk of cancer significantly unless you are on it for more than 5 years. Given that there are now over 50 different forms of HRT, I think we can probably find something that works for me, and I have no intention of staying on any treatment for more than 5 years.

I slept good last night, thanks to 2 little blue pills and woke without a headache for the first time this week. I don't like to rely on sleep aids, but when you're so tired that you start to feel dizzy, it's time to reach for Mother's little helpers.

No kidding, we must be.  I did some reading to learn the tingling is a side effect of melatonin and the headache meds I've been taking far more than normal.  

I hear ya on desperate times call for desperate measures.  Not sleeping seems to be making it all worse.  I needed to sleep so badly I had to do some melatonin.  I slept but felt crummy in new ways the next day.  I've taken a preventative for headaches in the past, I am always resistant to doing so but might have to consider it.

Just so weird that this whole thing triggered such a huge spike in headaches that didn't subside.  That still leaves me quite confused.

I am glad to hear HRT therapy is more viable now days.  I have been resistant to the idea in the past but lately I've been thinking that I can't live like this so it makes me more open to considering it to get me over the hump.  I have not had hotflashes in the past 28 days that is a good thing but the rest is off the charts.  My doc is the one that mentioned hormones and the headaches as last March I mentioned I've been getting a new kind...comes on and won't go away and is this long dull pain.  Different than the sharp quick onset.  She said she was pretty sure they were hormone related.  Darn it.  At least it is a path to follow.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much to catch up on from the weekend!!! To all of those who were struggling over the weekend... Great job not caving and going strong the last couple of days... you ladies inspire me! 

I am still doing well here... Day 28... OMG what I am going to do on T-day!?! making me a little nervous and I don't want to backslide into a complete sugary carb drenched mess I was before. I have off from work tomorrow, so am going to step about making my paleo pie crust for the sweet potatoe pie and also going to make the cran cherry sauce....

I made a nice baked chicken in the crockpot with some carrots and onions last night, but didn't get to have any... I live next door to my grandparents and I got a call that my grandmother was having chest pains (us grandkids have the fastest Telephone tree!) and I convinced her to go to the 24 hour ER to get it checked out. After 6 hours she was released, everything was normal, although she did tell the Doctor to go to Hell when the doc told her to quit smoking... shes 86... dude, she's not quitting anytime soon! Just glad she is okay and will be home for the holiday! 

Here's to the last of our days in the whole 30 together... so proud of all of you!!!

Good morning, all!

@MadscienceM glad to hear your grandmother is alright, she sounds like a feisty old gal which gives me fond memories of my grandmother  :)

Today is Day 30 for me which seems impossible, this went by so quickly! Yesterday I went for a walk with my boyfriend and he reminded me of how panic stricken I was on our Day 1 walk. Amazing how something so new can suddenly feel natural. I don't own a scale so I can't say for certain if I lost weight and I don't think I ever reached full-on tiger blood but I have achieved something I didn't know I was missing... balance. If I pig out on a delicious dinner or go too many hours without a meal, my body just handles it. My energy levels are consistent, my sleep is deeper, my skin is calm. Tomorrow starts my re-introduction period (although I will be taking a break for a glass of wine on Thanksgiving) and I intend to continue eating a mostly on-program diet but I feel confident in whatever happens next because I have the tools to recalibrate whenever necessary. I think that has been the biggest lesson for me, I can control how my body feels. Each day, I can make the choice to feel my best and if things veer off track, I just breathe and reboot.

Thank you all so much for making this process easier, I have enjoyed keeping up with your experiences and I look forward to seeing you on future threads. Everyone here has done an amazing job, we should all be proud.

@Saara - Paleo Crack LOL, seriously funny! And I haven't even tried it with the coconut butter, but the thought was even too much!

@Madscience - Glad your gramma is Ok, sounds like a fiesty old gal!

@MIchelle66- love your idea of sticking strictly to the template for the last two days - I'm doing it, too! So glad to hear your hubby realized that the Whole 30 was not for nought :D !  I hope you get everything sorted out - you know, it could all be hormonally related.  Diet can have a strong effect on your hormones, and I don't think medicine is evil when necessary, HRT may be an option.  

@Carolyn128 - Woo! Hoo!  Congratulations!  I love your insights, and your positive results.  Sounds like it was so worth it for you.

You know, I have been thinking about the, "I can't believe the 30 days is coming to an end," thing.  Time went really quickly, but I must admit that I never truly felt deprived.  Oh sure, I had that psychological gnawing once in a while where I just wanted to shove crap into my mouth, but now I realize that I so do not need that.  I am looking forward to enjoying Thanksgiving, but I sure don't want to go overboard.  I have felt much more clear-headed lately, and I don't want to wake up with a carb-induced hangover on Friday.  A glass of wine will definitely be apprciated as I gather with inlaws, though!

I do know I couldn't have gotten through this without all of your support. Just knowing others are in the same situation makes it so much more bearable.  I truly want to make this a lifestyle change - maybe not Whole 30, but definitely paleo.  I know I've lost weight without really trying, and I know I am not as irritable as before.  I think those were two of my primary goals, but I feel like I've realized so many other benefits in the process (the biggest being that I feel more in control of what I feed my body with). 

OK - we're on our last days here - CHEERS!

Hi everyone!

We're on the home stretch now! I'm honestly amazed that I made it through this last weekend on plan. We've got houseguests coming into town today and between preparing for that and Thanksgiving, our meal planning for this weekend was pretty bad. I could tell that the hubby really wanted to call it. Thankfully, he's pretty easy to sway. It's funny though, we're not planning to do a big reintroduction process this time, so the 30 day mark is a little arbitrary. But since I know the week ahead is going to contain some off-plan foods, there's no reason to add more of them to the mix.

I'm seriously impressed with the major amounts of willpower and mental toughness on this thread. Honestly, reading your guys' challenges really strengthened my resolve as well. It's funny how "normal" all of this feels, even when it's challenging. I'm hoping that will help carry me through the holidays. I second @MadscienceM that we should just continue to use this thread for updates/support.

I can't disagree with some who are hating certain aspects, and are ready to quit, and can't wait for real food. Interesting thing happened to me this morning. I had to have bloodwork done, and figured heck, I'm close enough, I'm done with this thing - is a whole 29 going to really cut me short?  Then I went to lunch, and couldn't do it.  I ordered the cauliflower, and a hamburger, which I ripped the bun off and chucked.  I know it's not grass fed, but it was a way better choice than the other options smothered in some kind of who knows what gravy, or breaded chicken. I just couldn't do it.  

I also had a great run this morning.  Felt phenomenal!  Was it Tigers Blood? Probably not, probably the Irish Chili we had last night (sub potato's for beans). But, it's always sitting there in the back of your head, each choice you make. You will hesitate. Trust a born and raised (but not necessarily still practicing) Catholic, it's the whole Catholic guilt thing.  You know better, so it's tough to just say screw it. Because you are VERY aware of the consequences.  

I still plan on a Whole 30 in January - but I'll be honest - it'll be my whole 30. I never did master the snacks, but I am fully aware that it's will power.  I had the will power to say no for 30 days to ice cream, cakes, cookies, brownies, cupcakes, etc.. My wife is a phenomenal baker. And say no to the cakes, and candies, etc the patients bring in to work, and that will continue.  My evening snacks, I am just going to have to work on those.  

Everyone, good luck in the future with your diets and where you take this.  My wife has kicked up on the whole Paleo thing, and my Whole30 was a good kick for her. It took a month, but she is really being conscious of what she's buying, and buying more organic, more gluten free, etc. Is she there? No, but she's on her way. If we can meet at some middle ground, we'll all be healthier. 

It was a great ride everyone.  Best wishes.  At this point I fully plan to finish it out, but probably won't be back online much before it's over.  

Colin

I am looking forward to reading through the posts later today to hear what all of you are thinking as we approach the finish. 

I am noticing I am pretty reflective today.  I feel proud that I am going to do this thing start to finish. Even more proud that day 31 is feeling like less of an ending and more of a beginning. 

My skin looks great, I feel more slender, while I haven't lost a ton, I like what I see in the mirror, my overall attitude is better, I feel peaceful, happier, more relaxed, more present vs stressed about the future, angry about the past, I am more patient, I feel like food is not running me, I don't often get hungry between meals and if I do, I eat something and don't worry that I've lost control, hubby and I feel more connected, I've had no hot flashes, my hair looks thick and glossy.  I can sit amongst a group an not eat stuff I really don't want and it is OK.  When I do get hungry?  It is real. So even though I have some other things to figure out, I am so glad I did this. 

Anyone that is interested I'd love to stay connected to see how we all do with re-entry, through the holidays and if anyone does do another, join forces.  Have a good day all!

I'm close enough, I'm done with this thing - is a whole 29 going to really cut me short?  Then I went to lunch, and couldn't do it.  I ordered the cauliflower, and a hamburger, which I ripped the bun off and chucked.  I know it's not grass fed, but it was a way better choice than the other options smothered in some kind of who knows what gravy, or breaded chicken. I just couldn't do it.  

I also had a great run this morning.  Felt phenomenal!  Was it Tigers Blood? Probably not, probably the Irish Chili we had last night (sub potato's for beans). But, it's always sitting there in the back of your head, each choice you make. You will hesitate. Trust a born and raised (but not necessarily still practicing) Catholic, it's the whole Catholic guilt thing.  You know better, so it's tough to just say screw it. Because you are VERY aware of the consequences.  

Pretty darn cool Colin, Loved reading this.  

It's day 30.  I am so glad. 

I had a whopper of a headache last night, carryover from Sunday when we had to leave an event early.  Bad day for dizzy.  To the doc tomorrow and hopefully quick to figure this out.  At this point I need information and I'll try anything.  I lost 7lbs in 5 weeks (my first W30start date) which is not huge but I can feel it.  Not bad considering I've not exercised a bit and I've not felt well most of the time.  I will be curious to see if the doc find something that is off kilter that is not on my radar connected to this.  We'll see.  I just want to feel good.  It has been so long.  I am prepared to hear that this is too extreme for my body.  Today I am just tired.  Tired and out of it despite sleeping. 

Last night I was completely OK with eating something outside of plan to help me feel better but honestly I wouldn't know what that is so I didn't.  I am at a loss.  Instead I ate a pretty hearty dinner.  Hubby opened up a wine and said huh, weird, it is sweet...it's a wine we know that is not sweet.  He said you are not going to like it I said maybe I am not going to like wine

Celebrate a great finish all!

Day 30 y'all!!!!! Holy cow!!! So proud of all of you and my husband and I!!! Going from conventional cooking/eating to strict paleo/whole30 was a challenge and a half! The amount of dishes were enough to say, "I'm done!" But ya know what, I've learned SO much on this journey! I checked again (I know, I'm not supposed to) because literally none of my clothing fits anymore and I've dropped from 144 to 129 - 15 lbs!!! Say what?!?! My skin is so clear!!! I do still miss my junk food and eating out on occasion though and I think our diets will be strict on week days and weekends we will allow ourselves some indulgences (but nowhere near as before) - we are just so busy and are never home on the weekends so we rely on family cooking and chipotle most of the time lol!

Anyways, I'd love to keep the thread going! I'm creating another 30 day goal for myself but it has nothing to do with diet - I'm stepping away from all social media for at least 30 days! This whole30 has really made me evaluate my life and how important quality time with family and relaxation being unplugged from the world is! I need it for myself and my husband, daughter and even dog need it from me. I'm really excited for this! This starts Friday!

Enjoy your final day of whole30 everyone!!!!

Happy Day 30!!! 

@Kahalati: WOW! You had such amazing results and it sounds like you have a really good plan in place. Your social media 30 day experiment is very impressive. I hope you have similar results. :-D

@Michele66: You are a rockstar. The fact that even with all of the struggles you stayed on plan is so impressive. 

I know I've said this before, but this thread has been so inspiring and helpful. I hope folks will continue to post their successes and struggles here moving forward. And I wish everyone a happy holiday season moving forward!

M

@kahaliti - whoop whoop!!  congrats!!  15lbs!!  nice job to you and your husband!  It sounds like this was a really great experience for you on so many levels.  No social media for 30 days?  What a great way to nourish your family.

@mdraegerpnw - thanks so much.  I got in to the doc today and can hardly wait... so weird to say that.  who can hardly wait to go do the doc?  There is this part of me that doesn't want to stop... want me some tigers blood but need answers before I can continue safely :rolleyes:

@ Kahaliti- woohoo!

@ michele- I hope you get some good answers!

@ Everyone on day 30 Congrats!!!!! so proud of you guys!!!! look forward to keeping up with you as the next weeks of holiday food overload are upon us!!!!

Was off work today so I made the sweet potato pie crust and am finishing it up tomorrow. My stepkids didnt have school, so they were able to enjoy some of my crockpot chicken and some veggies... they each ate two servings :) 

Am looking forward to a good night in the gym and then off to fire training.... Day 30 for me tomorrow.... I am excited... but know I will be back to close whole 30 living on friday... just a stuffing indulgence tomorrow and then back on the good stuff... I have seen some really great results in my running and lifting... and last night the other coaches at the gym told me I was looking fabulous, as did some of the dance parents... and I am also wearing tights or a leotard or some other form fitting clothes, so it was a nice boost to hear that!!! Congrats to you all again and I am looking forward to posting about my day 30 tomorrow!!!!

What a crazy day.  I have vertigo.  :wacko: Connected to migraines or not is unclear since I have both currently and they could be related or not.  Time will tell.  First treat the headaches and see if the vertigo remains.  Not connected to migraines sucks as it is hard to treat.  Got sent in for an immediate CT scan less due to anything suspicious and more for peace of mind.  To kill the headache dead got a massive shot of tordol in the butt.  Seems to have done it's work.  Back on preventative meds   :( which she's sorry to say I can't probably go without as regular meds are now triggering headaches crazy but they do.  Fingers crossed this helps the headaches get under control and the vertigo goes away.

It is so nice to hear my doc say I am so glad you came in.  I am grateful I have an amazing doc.  She sort of giggled when I said, really my healthy diet couldn't have triggered all of this, could it?  She said not likely, probably the not sleeping so indirectly, kind of but no not likely, you are doing all the right things in that dept.  She'd heard of Whole 30 which was cool. 

Thanks for listening.  The lesson in all of this for me?  Don't wait.  Go to the doctor.  She gasped when I said I'd been feeling unwell for 3 weeks.  While a radical change in diet is a good thing, it is not a fix-all.  And I probably missed out on a lot of good stuff (tigers blood!) hoping the plan would cure my symptoms. 

So great to catch up with everyone! Overall, sounds like it's been a great experience.  Kahalita, WOW, that's an impressive amount of weight you lost!  Michelle66, I hope you get your headaches and vertigo figured out, but I am glad to hear that you don't have anything serious going on.  Madscience, not sure how you do it, you are one busy gal!  

I have done well these last two days in the snacking department.  I threw a couple pork tenderloins in the slow cooker today using this recipe; http://paleoleap.com/slow-cooked-pork-roast/.  It was really tasty! We had diced yellow potatoes pan fried in ghee and steamed broccoli and cauliflower on the side.  Ghee is something that I've grown quite fond of, and I'm not sure I'll go back to regular butter.  The ghee has such a nice rich flavor

Two things I wish I'd have done before this Whole 30; 1) Take a photo of myself, and 2) taken measurements.  I will have the scale to tell me how many pounds I've lost, but I think a picture would have been more telling. Oh well, next time :D

Congratulations everyone for completing this 30 days. It's all about eating food that will improve and compliment our health, and I definitely feel healthier!

Michele - I find I get the vertigo when I get headaches too many days in a row. I don't know if it's the headaches, or ODing on Advil that does it, but it goes away when the headaches do. Glad you got some pain relief.

I think your doctor's comment was interesting - we all put so much faith in the Whole30 program that we put aside some of our usual responses to issues. Not necessarily a good thing.

I'm glad I did the Whole30, but it's not a cure all - at least not for me. I have some better eating habits, but I need to keep working on other things. This is just a bit of a jumpstart.

@Michele66 - pls let us know what you hear back about the headaches.

@Kahaliti - wow! so happy for you! glad to hear your good news. and yes, chipotle...one of the three things i'd take if i were stranded on an island ;)

A question: I've read the reintroduction plan, but I'm really torn for Thanksgiving as there are a couple of food groups I'd like to eat for that one day because they are cherished, once-a-year family recipes...but I don't want to waste a month's worth of work. What are your thoughts about eating 2 food groups (dairy and alcohol) on Thanksgiving and then returning to W30 for a few more days, and then starting the reintroduction period the way it's outlined in the book? (Legumes, day 1...wait a couple of days...etc). I want to get an accurate 'read' on what my body's particular sensitivities are, but would going off-plan for one day and the resuming to W30 for a few days, then doing legumes on the first 'off-plan' day, etc. mess the whole thing up if I've done my 30 days to the letter? I will repost this question to a W30 moderator, but I was also curious what your thoughts were. Some of you seem to be wanting to do the same thing, so maybe you've seen a bit of feedback/research that says it's ok?  

Thanks to you all for sharing this journey with me; I have communicated more with some of you than others, but I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and feeling the amazing support of the group. I'd love to keep posting in here, too, to keep in touch over the holidays and see how we all do. I'm planning to step up my exercise regimen next month to include regular yoga and weight training. And I think my 'normal' diet will look a lot more like W30 with a little bit of flexibility for special occasions. 

Continued good luck to all! Happy Day 30! Woohoooooo!!!!! We are Whole30 ninjas!  :ph34r:

Ok...so the "Whole30 Reintroduction" section of these forums actually has a lot of good info. I'll probably do dairy AND alcohol on Thanksgiving, so I'll go back to a strict W30 for a few days to a week (depending on the effects I feel from the Thanksgiving meal) and then start the reintroduction period after those days back on compliant eating. 

Thank you all so much!! I was shocked when I saw the scale - I guess I just never thought it would happen!! My husband has waited the whole 30 days and will step on the scale tomorrow. Tomorrow will be whole 30 compliant with some chocolate lol!! Turkey day I'm allowing myself a small amount of green bean casserole and a slice of gluten free pumpkin pie, that's it! Gonna miss the stuffin muffins and Kahlua with ice and milk.

I lent my book to my brother - can anyone brief me on the suggestions of reintroduction? Thanks!! :-)

OK what a ride for sure and mine is far from over.  Taking a "little" break the next two days for family time and Thanksgiving but I'm back to it on Saturday.  I'm down 20.5 lbs and feel great.  This is truly the lifestyle change I've been looking for.  After my hubby becoming vegetarian 5 years ago and vegan 2 years ago I've struggled to take care of his needs thinking mine would be taken care of as well.  Truly I'm not meant to eat that way because the pounds crept up and I felt really bad. The sugar was out of control to say the least.  Now finally I can listen to my body again, while I don't eat huge amounts of meat I'm finding it stabilizes my blood sugar and it's essential for me.  Everyone is different and I had lost sight of that.

Thank you all for the support on our journey so glad so many made it to the end, and those who didn't this is so hard I totally get it.  Here's to my next year of finding better health for us all!  So very happy I found this plan and you all <3 

I will post about the pie tomorrow. I also made the Cran-cherry sauce last night, without the added honey... I brought a little for my lunch today in order to try it out. 

So proud of all of you guys and your results... both physical and mental. I can honestly say that this seemed like a hard thing to do, now it just is what I do. I am proud that I feel good about making better choices on what I eat and feel equipped for any situation...

I will say that I was EXCITED last night when I finally got a New max weight on my bench press... I have been stuck for months and last night I upped my max by 10 pounds!!!!  :) And then I upped my Kettle Bell deadlift game by 20 pounds (10 each side). My trainer said clean eating is good and he said you can really see the changes...  :wub:  it was nice to hear and nice to see some results...

So my plan is enjoy thanksgiving and than back onto the good eating train... Then enjoy my 2 night whirlwind trip to CDC ATL for 2 days mid december. aka eating at a fun place while I am there! There is a place there that makes a pretty mean burger, so I am going to enjoy myself.

My ultimate goal is to be in better shape eating wise for the upcoming marathon/half marathon season... hoping for a PR for the half marathon in 2015!!!

@Michele, so glad you have a great doctor and are getting the headaches straightened out. And sometimes food cannot fix it all, but I am sure that once you get the headaches sorted out, it will all come together!

Have a great Day 31 you all and I will be with you tomorrow!

Archived