Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome @JustJoyce and @Carolyn128! (Carolyn, your user name is my mom's first name and her birthday. Do you live in Oregon City? ;-P)

Last night, I didn't have the solid sleep that I've gotten used to – woke up at 2:30 and had a little trouble getting back to sleep. But I feel fine this morning, so I'm not going to worry about it. 

Have a great day 17/18/19 everyone!

M

Man, today I feel like I took one giant step backwards!!  I have a slight headache, nothing Whole30 sounds good to eat, and I am craving a Chai Tea Latte or Hot Chocolate.  Would also love a burger WITH bun, or breakfast burrito with a tortilla.....right now I feel like when I hit Day 31, I'm going to go crazy!!! I do see tiny improvements, skin seems slightly clearer, pants fit a tad looser....but part of me wonders if that's just my imagination since I want to see things getting better.  Still not sure what Tiger Blood feels like....ah!!  I don't want to quit, but right now that sounds better than continuing....

Must.keep.going!!!

I am actually relieved to see that some others are having difficulties with sleeping, headaches, and a complete lack of this so-called Tiger blood. Not that I'm happy that other people are suffering, just that I'm not the only one who hasn't hit Whole30 nirvana.

I'm not so much bored with food as I am with food prep. Having to prep food for 2 people for nearly every meal is a lot of work. Add lack of sleep to that and you end up with a serious lack of motivation.

Ok, enough whining! I just got back from walking the dog (in the dark, of course) and it was snowing a little bit. Chilly out there. Any other Canadians in the group? If so, tell me you found some compliant bacon. I'm dying here!

Onto Day 18... Had some serious food fatigue yesterday... Mostly because I didn't heat my lunch up properly, because someone in the break room was complaining about my curry fish and how she didn't appreciate that it was stinking up the microwave, I just pulled my food out and walked away, so she could heat up her hot pockets... It was tilapia, which is pretty mild and I ate it in my office and no one noticed any fish smell.... whatever... it was semicold and I just didn't enjoy it much. I did eat my pre and post workout snacks for when I ran the steps yesterday...felt great... 23 flights of steps and I taught dance last night for 3 hours... 

Woke up this morning ready for some food, did an egg, potato, broccoli hash type thing, was pretty good. Have curry CHICKEN for lunch today, hope the microwave guards aren't made about the curry smell...

I am out of town sat and sun, but will try to check it... Keeps me honest!

Keep up the good work folks... we are on the downhill for this.. we can do it!!!!

11 days to go.  Crazy.  Starting to get a little nervous about the training wheels being off despite really wanting to maintain all of this with a very few exceptions. I intend to keep going and hope that is with me on day 31. It is feeling very important to me to cook a W30 Thanksgiving as I think if we did not, it could seriously hijack all this goodness.

Wednesday at Pilates someone that has not seen me in 2 weeks looked at me and said, Oh my God, you look amazing! Your face is so thin!  What are you doing?  :P I guess things are visibly different. I do think when I wash my face and look in the mirror think it is a little more bony. The puffiness is gone from my body. Ring looser, love handles smaller.  I am not convinced of huge weight loss. A smaller pant size is still too tight but there is movement.

I too am having some issues w/insomnia. It sucks. I feel for all of you having this too. Awoke at 3, finally back to sleep 4-5:30.  I was sleeping through the night but not enough. Double whammy! No headache yesterday, which was so nice. Hoping for anther one.

The nirvana here is in fits and spurts. Often enough to make me a believer, infrequent enough to make me irritable  :rolleyes: I had hoped I'd be one of those miracle cases.

Keep at it to those of you with travel and challenges this weekend!

I will be eating out against my will twice this weekend.  Once for a birthday and once for a celebration.  Right now I do not want to eat out. I don't want to "wonder" if what I am eating is really compliant... but it would be seriously rude in these cases to say we are not coming and/or we are not eating. 

Happy Friday and Happy 19 everyone!

Looking down the road - and have to agree with the rest, my dreams of a Thanksgiving splurge are diminishing.  I will absolutely have something off plan, but not having that huge craving to go nutso. Maybe a piece of pie. Definitely a couple of beers or wine. But not planning on a bowl of ice cream, or anything nuts.  Listened to a podcast yesterday where Loren Cordaine was talking about his turkey stuffing being wild rice and onions, celery, etc.  Said that the wild rice, though a grain, has a low glycemic index, and since you're likely only looking at having it at maybe Thanksgiving and Christmas you can probably handle it. The Paleo diet says you can do a 85:15, and you're going to be pretty good, except for those with Celiacs. 

Thanks for your take on Thanksgiving. I'm thinking I'm going to plan on making the best choices possible, and not worry about it, and not overeat, and try really hard to watch the sugar. I'm really looking forward to the alcohol!! LOL. I think my "reward" on day 31 will be a Ketle One Vodka martini. I am for sure going to keep eating Whole30, even after the 30 days are up. There will be "cheat" days, like our company Christmas Party & Christmas Day. I feel really great about continuing Whole30 and about this plan for after 30d. It would be encouraging and helpful to hear everyone's take on Thanksgiving. :wub:

PS - the Whole30 Reintro plan sounds complicated.......ugh! :o

I am actually relieved to see that some others are having difficulties with sleeping, headaches, and a complete lack of this so-called Tiger blood. Not that I'm happy that other people are suffering, just that I'm not the only one who hasn't hit Whole30 nirvana.

I'm not so much bored with food as I am with food prep. Having to prep food for 2 people for nearly every meal is a lot of work. Add lack of sleep to that and you end up with a serious lack of motivation.

Ok, enough whining! I just got back from walking the dog (in the dark, of course) and it was snowing a little bit. Chilly out there. Any other Canadians in the group? If so, tell me you found some compliant bacon. I'm dying here!

I know what you mean, I am not exactly feeling it - Tiger Blood?!  Are you kidding me? I have not been able to find bacon where I'm at - Wisconsin.  It was snowing here last night, too.  19 degrees this morning.  I want to move south.

Wondering if anyone is keeping a Food Log? I'm getting bored doing mine, and considering stopping it......

Also, as for cravings, I have them and it helps me to say out loud (especially at work, when my co-workers are eating junk): I want that (whatever it is), but I'll just snort the scent of it. Ha! Anyway, I'm really proud that I haven't caved....and don't plan too in the next 11 days. That doesn't mean it's not difficult somedays. And funny, I want and don't want sugar....all at the same time.

@Mdraeger, Michelle66 and JustJoyce;  I haven't been sleeping well, either.  I wake a couple times during the night, and way too early in the morning.  I can usually get back to sleep, but it's very interrupted.  Dreams are weird, too.  Not food dreams, just weird!

@Madscience; sorry about your coworkers.  People really need to be more tolerant in general, and it's actually rude to complain about someone's food, quite frankly.  Your curry fish and chicken sound delicious, btw.

As I have noted, I am not feeling the Tiger's Blood yet.  I will say that I do have a little more energy, since I'm not dragging my sorry arse aroundall day like I had been.  Most notably, my knees are not aching like they used to.  My back incident is about 80% improved, and I'm not sure that would have been the case with old crappy diet.  I mean, just ten days ago, I was crawling for God's sakes, and I'm already back to normal activity.  Still wouldn't want to do a crazy workout, but walking and moderate workout is fine.

I spent a good deal of time last night cooking.  I made a big pot of paleo/whole30 chili, which I had during the first week, and just love! I also made some meatballs, since I'm kind of sick of eggs, and cannot find compliant bacon around here.  I just sort of winged the recipe, so they're just, meh.  But, I did make some mayo, which I'm not as thrilled about as some of you seem to be, and when I jazzed that up a little, it did make the meatballs a little tastier.  Also roasted a butter nut squash in coconut oil with a little sea salt and cinnamon - now that I loved, and plan to make up a bunch to take to Thanksgiving.  

Anyway, I'm proud of myself, and of all of you for hanging in there - Day 19, Hard to believe :)

Wondering if anyone is keeping a Food Log? I'm getting bored doing mine, and considering stopping it......

I started to, but then after listening to a bunch of Robb Wolf podcasts, decided to give it up. I think if we are basically following the template and rules, we shouldn't have to worry about the logging,too.  For myself, the way I feel, and how my clothes are fitting is a better guage, anyway (and yes, I do know I am losing, or at least shifting in composition, but since my workouts haven't been great, I'm leaning toward losing :mellow: .

Hello all!! Happy day 19! I'm seeing all the posts about food boredom and not feeling so well - and I can most definitely sympathize - I went through that twice day 7 and again day 12...but I have to share my success now because I have finally found my rythem to making it through this and I'm seeing HUGE results. Here is my advice:

Take the time to meal plan, it keeps you organized and keeps you focused on what you need to purchase at the store!! I always do at least 3 simple meals that I know and then 3 new whole30 recipes I find off Instagram or Google that I know both my husband and I may like. This keep our food interesting but doesn't overwhelm me!!

Find stores or local farms that suit your family's needs! I LOVE Costco! We go there for organic ground beef ($5/lb), organic chicken breasts ($6/lb), organic eggs ($6.79/2 dozen), nuts, oils, avocados and any fresh or frozen organic fruits and veggies we want that week. Trader Joes is my next favorite place because their prices compared to Whole Foods are great!! I get the same items here that I would from Costco, their nuts are awesome and two simple staples I buy are their frozen turkey burgers ($2.99/4) which only contain rosemary and kosher salt and are great to whip up when your in a hurry and their sugar-free almond butter ($6.99/jar) which I smother onto celery, apples, and bananas!

Make large batches of food for dinner so you can pack the leftovers for lunch and hit two birds with one stone - this has been my saving grace!! Because let's face it, making meals from scratch every day isn't exactly easy and I'm no chef - I'm 25 and work from home with a toddler and simply learning as I go. I don't have time or the energy to not make meals in bulk but when it's time to be in the kitchen, I try to make it a fun experience and involve my daughter and husband!

When your fridge is looking empty, make a quick run to the store to stock up. I feel overwhelmed and bored if I don't have the items I need in stock to make a good meal and I have to resort to eggs for protein. Bleh!

If you are bored because your food is bland - use spices, dressings and sauces to liven them up! Bolthouse creates an Italian and balsamic dressing with an olive oil base that is compliant and can be found at any grocery store, order items off of tressemae's (spelling?) website - all of their items except for the soy ones are compliant or if you have a mini processor - make your own! So far I've made ranch and it was simple and delicious! Next week I'm going to experiment with mayo! Planksloveandguacamole has a blog post giving tons of whole30 compliant recipes and tips on making different dressings, dips, marinades, etc.

Ok sorry this was so long but hope this info helps!! Success story in next post! ;-)

I started to, but then after listening to a bunch of Robb Wolf podcasts, decided to give it up. I think if we are basically following the template and rules, we shouldn't have to worry about the logging,too.  For myself, the way I feel, and how my clothes are fitting is a better guage, anyway (and yes, I do know I am losing, or at least shifting in composition, but since my workouts haven't been great, I'm leaning toward losing :mellow: .

I think the same as you about not having to worry about the logging too, especially if we KNOW we're following the plan & rules!! One less thing to have to do......

My success story:

My husband is 29, his grandfather lost his leg and later died of diabetes. His father almost died of a heart attach 3 years ago, he's in his early 50s. When my husband and I started dating, he weighed 180 lbs, I weighed 120 - he was 19, I was 16. Stress and losing control of our diets slowly turned 180 to 246...and 120 to 144. I wasn't all that concerned with my weight but my husband has been so depressed about his body image - he wouldn't even go to the pool this year. A lot of that has to do with his father being an a$$hole and telling him he looks like a cow and all types of other cruel comments. His family history with disease and his self-confidence and happiness diminishing is mostly what turned me to the whole30. I never imagined I would lose so much weight along the way in only 18 short days!! I cracked and weighed myself again - 11 lbs lighter guys, my brand new jeans I bought last month that were tight are loose, no more belly or chubby face, my thunder thighs are gone - all the bloating is gone!!! My husband has not weighed himself but he is noticeably skinnier, especially in his face! He used to have a chronic upset stomach and problems going to the bathroom - after 3 days on this diet, that resolved itself!! He used to skip breakfast and lunch every week day and instead have 2 red bulls, 1 cappuccino with 5 (yes, 5) raw sugar packets and chips and then get home at 6/7pm and binge at dinner and then munch all night until he went to sleep at 12/1am. Yeah, not healthy!! His headaches from the sugar withdrawals in the first week were almost enough to make him quit but he hasn't, and I'm so proud!! He now enjoys vegetables - like LOVES them and wants to make this whole30 a whole60!! What?!? His will and

For me, I always ate throughout the day but I had such a high-carb and heavy-gluten diet. My main concern, however, wasn't weight - it was energy, motivation, better sleep and to knock out my hormonal Breastfeeding acne. Weight loss was a perk! I felt like I was living in a fog, so lazy and tired all the time. Well my sleep has regulated - typically go to sleep with my daughter around 9pm and wake at 7/8. (Although the last two nights she has randomly been waking from 1-4:30...can we say molar? Woof! So that's put a bit of a damper on my overall energy) My skin is soooo much better - the acne is still healing and I do have some scars from picking but no new bumps! The house has been spotless for the past 4 days, errands done, my daughter is happy because i have the energy to actively play with her and turn chores into games instead of getting frustrated!

I just feel so much better - the fog has lifted, what once felt like impossible tasks are now possible and instead of just thinking about doing them, I am actually doing them!!

I hope this inspires you guys! It's been a long roller coaster of emotions but I think this is my turn around point!! :-)

Happy Day 19! I know I've said this before, but I really love starting my mornings with this thread. I think it's going to be harder to give up than anything on the Whole 30! ;-)

To those who are struggling with food boredom/meal planning fatigue, I echo Kahalati's excellent advice. My first W30, I was SO OVER all of the cooking and meal prep, but I was also being way too complicated with my meals. Don't be afraid to go really simple. Grill up a big batch of chicken. Make something in the crockpot. Or if the opposite is true and you've been eating the same basic thing for too long, check out theclothesmakethegirl.com or nomnompaleo.com and pick something that sounds good to you. 

I've been keeping a very basic food log for the first time. I basically write down what I've been eating (the names of dishes, not calories/macronutrients), a rough idea of what time, any exercise that I did, and general notes about how I'm feeling each day. It's mostly for my own sanity and to identify any connections between what I'm eating and how I feel. (i.e. not enough starchy veggies = tired in the afternoon, etc.) It's the first time I've done this, but I've found it helpful. It's like a personal "mini" version of this thread.

@MadscienceM: I don't know how you didn't punch "Hot Pockets." I've had to endure all manner of terrible Lean Cuisine and burned popcorn smells, so people need to get over themselves. </end rant> My co-workers have gotten used to my "weird" eating and other than commenting on how amazing my breakfasts look/smell, I don't get a lot of commentary about them.

Rolling into the weekend, I was lamenting to my husband that we don't have a Paleo restaurant here. I want to be able to go out for a relaxing evening without having to micromanage the wait staff/kitchen. But, alas, that shall have to be 11+ days from now. My heart goes out to those of you who have dinners out on the agenda. I feel your pain.

Hope everyone has a great day and that things start improving for those who are struggling.

@mdraegerPNW- the struggle was real... I totally almost unleashed on "hot Pockets" good thing it was day 17 and not day 10... I might have let out my sugar fury!!!!

And I am happy to report that chicken curry was most delicious for lunch and not a single word was mentioned. I did throw some Shade at Hot Pocket in the hall...I really don't understand why people feel the need to be so concerned with what I am eating or working out on my break... its My break and if I don't want to go outside 15 thousand times to smoke a ciggie, and would rather run steps... why is that hurting you? I really don't care what you think about my eating or my working out... I work 3 jobs! and am a volunteer firefighter, so I squeeze in workouts when I can.  END RANT

Okay okay, back to my day 18 bliss.... WOOOSAH!!!!!

About food logging - I write down the dinners I make so I can remember and make them again if desired but other than that, no. I also bookmark recipes we like that I found online so they are easily accessible.

About thanksgiving - I've decided against making my usual green bean casserole and stuffin muffins but I am going to enjoy a piece of gluten free pumpkin pie. No alcohol here as I don't drink. I'm slightly sad about not fully enjoying my thanksgiving but proud at the same time and happy I won't be throwing all this work down the toilet! :-) so I guess the first thing I'm reintroducing is sugar...because well, I cannot say no to a good pumpkin pie! I'll make regular ole green beans and try a whole30 compliant recipe to sub for the stuffin muffins. Those are my favorite and so hard to say good bye to! Oh well, I will enjoy the hell out of my pie! ;-)

@Kahalati: Thank you so much for sharing your story! My hubby has very similar food issues to yours. He's struggled with his weight all of his life and while his dad wasn't critical of his weight, their relationship is very complicated and he's always used food as a source of comfort. When we did our first W30, he was very resistant to the idea of eating paleo as a lifestyle and kept complaining that Whole9 wasn't telling him when we got to go back to eating "normal." LOL.

But he lost a ton of weight and was suddenly able to resist all of the temptations around the office that were tripping him up before. He has a pretty bad Sugar Dragon (worse than mine, which surprised me!) and has a terrible time once it's awake. But for some reason, being on the W30 gives him a framework to say no to most of those cravings. He struggles from time to time, like we all do, but for the most part he seems surprisingly content. 

I'm so happy you guys are finding so much success on this program. It's very inspiring to read these stories.

Hi All - I echo mdraegerpnw in that I love starting my morning with this string. 

The food and cooking has been a highlight for us, but we are weird.  Food/cooking is our passion and hobby so we have loved the challenge of making great food within the rules.  We felt limited at first, but no longer.  A few things that come to mind that have helped:

• While not always easy, I never waste a meal on something that I am not really excited to eat. If I can't make something that is making my mouth water, I'll wait until I can.  If the leftovers are not floating my boat?  I don't force myself to eat them.  This has been huge for me in preventing snacking as I am satisfied in every way after a meal.
  • Keeping the fridge stocked.  I echo what the others have said.  I was in a mind panic just yesterday in that we were out of veggies and avocados.  Today is my shop day so pickin's were slim and I noticed less excitement as I had less to play with.  (We must be the only people to leave Trader Joes with 2, enormous shopping bags full of vegetables only!!)
  • Find some sacred stuff to create a new habit.  For me it has been my coffee and home made almond milk in the morning and my veggie hash for breakfast.  So healthy and so delicious.  I always know if I eat it I am so happy (and it is a gorgeous mix of color on the plate!!)
  • We totally cave to our W30 "cravings".  A few nights ago we wanted something with some crunch...hence did the catfish thing.  Making different choices and making sure we are eating something we are excited about.
  • We also have quickie go-to's in the freezer for nights when we are home late or don't feel like cooking: on the weekend we make double batches of stews, gumbo and soup and mashed cauliflower.  Means no risk of bagging it and going for something not compliant.

Logging?  Kinda.  I started capturing my meals and moods but honestly I think it made the days pass by slower so I stopped.  I am sure I'll wish having a list of the meals that are highlights but oh well.

Kahaliti - thanks for sharing your story :) congrats to you both on such a great journey!  Very inspiring to read.

I saw something somewhere recently (maybe W30 facebook?) that said something like:

Yes, it is your choice what you eat.  Unfortunately the consequences of what you eat are not your choice.

Really stuck with me that this is very important what we are all doing. 

@kahaliti, great motivational story!  In my case, I'm the one who battles the bulge.  My husband is super disciplined and methodical in the moderation camp (both in diet and exercise). I've known him for 25 years,he is now 56 years old, and he hasn't changed his pants size (I think he even has some 25 year old pants to prove it :unsure: ).  I on the other hand have been all over the board, both in weight and in fitness.  It's interesting, though, because when I lose some weight, it's always eating a lo-carb diet.  Now, I know this isn't just about lo-carb, here, but rather fueling with what is healthy, but I know I carry my weight around the middle, which indicates insulin-resistance, and I know when I knock out those carbs, I do lose it there.  I had been trying to lose since May, and it was moving ever so slowly, and primarily in my arms and legs (I am 5'11", picture a walking apple with spindly arms and legs).  in the past three weeks, however, once all that fluid retention was released, I can really tell a difference in the gut.  I still have quite a few pounds to go, but I am beginning to feel it!

BTW, it's amazing how our past has such an influence on who we are today.  It sounds like your hubby is overcoming obstacles - hooray!

Hmmmm....maybe all this pondering is the psychological component the Hartwig's speak of ;)

Thanks everyone, it really is exciting!! And as I see some of you struggling as I did, I just hope it inspires you guys to keep chugging along because it's so worth it!!!! You will get there! :-) Heck, we are almost 2/3 of the way there and then onto reintroduction which I'm thinking is going to kind of suck...

@Mdraeger, Michelle66 and JustJoyce;  I haven't been sleeping well, either.  I wake a couple times during the night, and way too early in the morning.  I can usually get back to sleep, but it's very interrupted.  Dreams are weird, too.  Not food dreams, just weird!

I had a dream last night that included both zombies and an attack by a pack of coyotes that came crashing through a big plate glass window. How's that for weird?

Day 20 for me today - I'm officially in the final third of my Whole30.

Today was pretty good - slept 8 hours last night and didn't wake up with up with a headache. Felt kind of hyper most of the day. Not sure if that's Tiger blood or too much caffeine. lol

Archived