Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Stoneveggies - Help! How did you make your mayo.  I made one batch in the blender and it turned out perfect.  Today I bought an immersion blender, because the recipe said it would be easier and quicker.  Total fail!!! Any tips?  Recipe?

Even tried the emergency save, and failed!

If something goes kafluey, the emulsion will “break” and you’ll be left with a jar filled with a quasi-emulsion with the consistency of, say, commercial salad dressing. DO NOT DESPAIR! It can be saved. Pour the liquid into a storage container and place it in the coldest part of your fridge. Wait a few hours (again, with the patience!), then stir vigorously. It will be slightly less thick and creamy than the full emulsion, but still delicious and useful for salads

Here's the one I used for the blender success and immersion fail (I followed the recipe exactly for the blender, did what the "note" said at the bottom for my failed one):

Homemade Paleo Olive Oil Mayo

Ingredients:

1 egg

2 tablespoons lemon juice @ room temp

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup plus 1 cup light-tasting olive oil (
Not
 extra virgin. Try 
 or 
.)

Directions:
1. Place the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Let them come to room temperature together, about 30-60 minutes. Add the dry mustard, salt, and  1/4 cup of the oil. Whirl until well mixed – about 20 to 30 seconds.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART!
2. The only remaining job is to incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil into the mixture. To do this, you must pour very slowly… the skinniest drizzle you can manage and still have movement in the oil. This takes about three minutes or so. Think about three minutes during a WOD; it’s a fairly long time. Breathe. Relax. Drizzle slowly.

If you’re using a blender, you’ll hear the pitch change as the liquid starts to form the emulsion. Eventually, the substance inside the blender will start to look like regular mayonnaise, only far more beautiful. Do not lose your nerve and consider dumping! Continue to drizzle.

If your ingredients were all at room temperature and you were patient, you will be rewarded!

NOTE: If you have a stick blender, you can simply place all ingredients in a blending jar, then whirl with your stick blender for about 30 seconds. Voila! Mayo is done.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rough day 9 for me here. I start eating my meals fine and then halfway into it, I can barely choke it down. What is going on? Anyone else having this trouble?

Yep since day 6, some meals are great and others two bites and I just can't go there.  When I can't eat it I don't.  So far it's OK and I'm not hungry so it is what it is.  

Day 10 woke early and hit the road with a banana cause breakfast wasn't until 8:45am.  Felt good all day had a great lunch and then at dinner I had the same thing as MadscienceM.  I took a few bites of my beautiful salad and just couldn't choke it down.  So I tried but stopped after a bit because then my tummy started not feeling so good either.  I just chalked it up to my body doing what it needs to do.  Drinking lots of water and then hitting the hay.  Night all on to Day 11 :)

I thought I'd start posting what I'm eating in case it inspires anyone...some of these recipes have been pretty yummy!

Last night (special occasion meal) I cooked filet mignon with roasted grapes (http://paleomg.com/roasted-grape-bacon-wrapped-filet-mignon/) sans bacon and baked some sweet potatoes and mashed them up with a little coconut oil and salt...and a little coconut butter and freshly grated nutmeg on top. As an accompaniment, I made prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears (http://paleospirit.com/2013/prosciutto-wrapped-asparagus-paleo-breakfast-recipe/) and also tried a couple of medjool dates wrapped in prosciutto and pan-fried with a tiny bit of coconut oil. This was a seriously yummy meal! (If anyone tried the asparagus, pls note that prosciutto is waaaay saltier after it's been cooked; I'd use 1/4 piece (sliced lengthwise) instead of a half (as recipe calls for) as they were a little too salty. Later I had some pomegranate seeds sprinkled with a little salt. The prep on this meal was easy and not too time-consuming. 

I haven't noticed that my clothes fit any looser yet, but I have been eating a fair amount since I started W30. This morning I got off-schedule, slept extremely late, and didn't eat anything until about 1:00pm (a few dates). At 1:30, I had lunch out with family: an iceberg lettuce salad with tomato, onion and turkey...dry, because the restaurant had no oil and vinegar. Blech.....A tip for the wise who learn from other people's mistakes: pack an emergency stash in your car of W30 compliant snacks AND things like a bottle of oil and vinegar. This will make restaurant eating MUCH more pleasant. 

Came home and was very lightheaded, weak, and shaky. Not sure if it was the fact that I practically skipped breakfast, my taste buds (colluding with the rest of my body) engaging in mutiny from the shock of a dry and unimaginative salad, or the fact that Mercury's in retrograde (just kidding). Has anyone else felt weak and shaky at any point?

Good luck, all. On to Day 11! 

Day 10- Ran with one of the guys from the fire station last night, he is interested in training for his first half marathon. so we went out for a quick (for us) three miles before our company meeting last night. It was fun to run with someone who was just getting into it and some of the passion rubbed off... running can be so much fun. Then I had Dance class to teach with my Tween aged kids who just kill me sometimes... but they were pretty good, just talkative... I swaer I need duct tape or something!

@md and Nashville I am so glad I am not the only one. Funny thing is I had a hard time with scrambled eggs yesterday morning, then my salad with beef and avocado mayo as dressing, but then when I went to eat my hardboiled eggs for dinner last night, they went down just fine. AS did my raw broccoli with sunshine sauce... guess I just didnt want that beef and salad. 

My wonderful husband did offer to turn the rest of the beef into a stew for me. He is finishing up culinary classes and made bone broth stock weeks ago and froze it. So he is going to turn the beef into a compliant stew with lots of veggies in it. He really wants me to make it to 30 days, so I appreciate his willingness to make things and turn Ehh stuff into something I want.

I did make myself some cole slaw last night for today. used my mayo from the other day and added some walnuts and raisins for crunch. I found the recipe on the Foodie site under the whole 30 compliant dishes. It called for unsweetened dried cranberries, but I couldnt find any, so I went with raisins. It looks really good, cant wait to have it at lunch. 

@ Livin- sorry about your back, bravo to your hubby who helped you stay on track!

@ Stoneveggies- I second the mayo everything... has been a game changer... will need to find myself some compliant canned fish... I havent looked yet, but that may be a lifesaver for me.

@ AprilLynne- I think I read somewhere with the immersion blender to make sure that you allow everything to settle out (egg on bottom, oil on top) before starting in with the blender, also to hold the stick to the bottom and get the egg all nice and blended then raise the stick up to blend in the rest of the mayo. I don't remember where I read that, but its when i was looking up making mayo the other day. I made mine in the food processor the other night and it worked well, just a little loud.

@ Saara- I havent noticed being shaky yet, my problem seems to be eating foods sometimes. 

I thought I'd start posting what I'm eating in case it inspires anyone...some of these recipes have been pretty yummy!

Last night (special occasion meal) I cooked filet mignon with roasted grapes (http://paleomg.com/roasted-grape-bacon-wrapped-filet-mignon/) sans bacon and baked some sweet potatoes and mashed them up with a little coconut oil and salt...and a little coconut butter and freshly grated nutmeg on top. As an accompaniment, I made prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears (http://paleospirit.com/2013/prosciutto-wrapped-asparagus-paleo-breakfast-recipe/) and also tried a couple of medjool dates wrapped in prosciutto and pan-fried with a tiny bit of coconut oil. This was a seriously yummy meal! (If anyone tried the asparagus, pls note that prosciutto is waaaay saltier after it's been cooked; I'd use 1/4 piece (sliced lengthwise) instead of a half (as recipe calls for) as they were a little too salty. Later I had some pomegranate seeds sprinkled with a little salt. The prep on this meal was easy and not too time-consuming. 

I haven't noticed that my clothes fit any looser yet, but I have been eating a fair amount since I started W30. This morning I got off-schedule, slept extremely late, and didn't eat anything until about 1:00pm (a few dates). At 1:30, I had lunch out with family: an iceberg lettuce salad with tomato, onion and turkey...dry, because the restaurant had no oil and vinegar. Blech.....A tip for the wise who learn from other people's mistakes: pack an emergency stash in your car of W30 compliant snacks AND things like a bottle of oil and vinegar. This will make restaurant eating MUCH more pleasant. 

Came home and was very lightheaded, weak, and shaky. Not sure if it was the fact that I practically skipped breakfast, my taste buds (colluding with the rest of my body) engaging in mutiny from the shock of a dry and unimaginative salad, or the fact that Mercury's in retrograde (just kidding). Has anyone else felt weak and shaky at any point?

Good luck, all. On to Day 11! 

I was more shaky in the beginning, now that is starting to subside.  It doesn't sound like you had a lot of fuel throughout the day, so maybe that's why.  But...your dinner sounds absolutely amazing :)

Day 10- Ran with one of the guys from the fire station last night, he is interested in training for his first half marathon. so we went out for a quick (for us) three miles before our company meeting last night. It was fun to run with someone who was just getting into it and some of the passion rubbed off... running can be so much fun. Then I had Dance class to teach with my Tween aged kids who just kill me sometimes... but they were pretty good, just talkative... I swaer I need duct tape or something!

@md and Nashville I am so glad I am not the only one. Funny thing is I had a hard time with scrambled eggs yesterday morning, then my salad with beef and avocado mayo as dressing, but then when I went to eat my hardboiled eggs for dinner last night, they went down just fine. AS did my raw broccoli with sunshine sauce... guess I just didnt want that beef and salad. 

My wonderful husband did offer to turn the rest of the beef into a stew for me. He is finishing up culinary classes and made bone broth stock weeks ago and froze it. So he is going to turn the beef into a compliant stew with lots of veggies in it. He really wants me to make it to 30 days, so I appreciate his willingness to make things and turn Ehh stuff into something I want.

I did make myself some cole slaw last night for today. used my mayo from the other day and added some walnuts and raisins for crunch. I found the recipe on the Foodie site under the whole 30 compliant dishes. It called for unsweetened dried cranberries, but I couldnt find any, so I went with raisins. It looks really good, cant wait to have it at lunch. 

@ Livin- sorry about your back, bravo to your hubby who helped you stay on track!

@ Stoneveggies- I second the mayo everything... has been a game changer... will need to find myself some compliant canned fish... I havent looked yet, but that may be a lifesaver for me.

@ AprilLynne- I think I read somewhere with the immersion blender to make sure that you allow everything to settle out (egg on bottom, oil on top) before starting in with the blender, also to hold the stick to the bottom and get the egg all nice and blended then raise the stick up to blend in the rest of the mayo. I don't remember where I read that, but its when i was looking up making mayo the other day. I made mine in the food processor the other night and it worked well, just a little loud.

@ Saara- I havent noticed being shaky yet, my problem seems to be eating foods sometimes. 

Nothing like someone else's enthusiasm wearing off on you!  That's why I like this forum - I think we're all pretty stoked about this, especially now since we're seeing results, so it's great to share!

This is going much smoother than I'd anticipated. So grateful to my husband who helped me out when I was down.  I'm definitely not 100% (no intense workouts for a while), but feeling a lot better today.  I also feel like maybe I'm starting to feel that energy.  Lately I've been having a tough time making it past 9pm, but I'm sure the time change could have a lot to do with that.  But, I am waking earlier, too, so I don't feel like it's a complete loss. 

I think I'll have the stamina to do grocery shopping today.  I am also going to make some kale chips.  I think I'm going to make the paleo chili again today because it's been on my mind since the first day!  

The timeline says day 10 and 11 are the most common for people to give up - I feel like I want to commit to this, and 30 days doesn't sound bad at all :D

Is there a way to quote

I usually click into the quoted box and delete what I don't want to include! Like above!

and I agree, we are all motivated so it seems to rub off on each other.... these past few days have been hard,  but knowing I am in for the long haul with a group of folks helps out!

1/3 of the way through! Woohoo for us!

I am tired... and I want a bagel.  I am starring at Culvers across from my office, and I want their chicken sandwich with cheese curds and a Turtle mixer.  There is one of the things that I miss the most... cheese. 

When does the energy come back?  Has anyone done this before? I am constantly tired.  I am not sleeping better.  You guys are my only support in this.... Please Help!

Happy day 11 everyone!!

I woke up yesterday feeling phenomenal! My stomach was board flat and my mood and energy were great! It's nights that kill me, after dinner the cravings still suck!! I was never a dessert person until the past year when my husband and I got into a bad habit of eating one after almost every dinner so I'm still having those sugar cravings. I also practically fell asleep sitting up around 9pm - I feel so exhausted, could have been our day at the zoo yesterday though! All the fresh air and walking!

I have been having horrible cramping the past 3 days and I can't tell if it's a symptom of candida dying off/adjusting to this diet...or if I'm PREGNANT lol as the heartburn, fatigue and nausea are leading me to believe. I guess only time will tell...

Any advice on how to incorporate protein in every meal without needing to eat meat every time!? I hate eggs and I'm so darn sick of meat! Help!!

Livin4lish - recipe for the chili, please?!

Last night was rough. I had a massive craving for pizza and wine (stupid TV is to blame for that one!) Thankfully, I had an easy broiled swordfish and veggie dinner planned, so I just went in and made it while mentally chanting "Pizza and wine will still be there at the end of this... " 

+1 on how great this thread is for support. My hubby is doing it with me, but it's so nice to have other people to share the highs and lows with. 

@Sidney: I've done two of these and unfortunately, it really varies person to person (and honestly, it's been different every time for me.) I've been more tired this time around, but have had a few days where the fog lifts and I feel great. I've been trying to take it one day at a time and focus on not having that second cup of coffee. And go to bed embarrassingly early if I need to. And I feel you on the cheese. It and wine are the biggest things I miss on W30. They're not going anywhere!

M

Well, the few days haven't been the best. While I feel ok during the day, I don't sleep well at night and have had a few bouts of acid reflux. During the night, last night, I woke with slight cramps and loose stools, which continue this morning. Not liking this!!!

Also, I keep reading how sweet potatoes are good for you and see them in tons of recipes. I've never liked them. The only ones I've liked so far are Burgerville's Sweet Potato Fries and I'm guessing they are not complient. :0D (hee, hee)

Any great recipes that will win me over? And what variety do I get. Didn't realize there were so many different kinds!! Help!

Well, the few days haven't been the best. While I feel ok during the day, I don't sleep well at night and have had a few bouts of acid reflux. During the night, last night, I woke with slight cramps and loose stools, which continue this morning. Not liking this!!!

Also, I keep reading how sweet potatoes are good for you and see them in tons of recipes. I've never liked them. The only ones I've liked so far are Burgerville's Sweet Potato Fries and I'm guessing they are not complient. :0D (hee, hee)

Any great recipes that will win me over? And what variety do I get. Didn't realize there were so many different kinds!! Help!

I actually like sweet potatoes, but have found my kids really like them when I make them like this;

1st, I microwave until firm soft (be sure to pierce with a fork all over). I let them cool a bit, then peel and slice, just as if I were making American fries with white potatoes.  I then melt 1-2T of coconut oil in a large pan (depending on how many potatoes I have) then add the potatoes and mix to make sure they are well coated with the oil.  Cover them, and let them cook for about 10 minutes, then uncover, and continue frying, turning them about every 2 minutes or so, maybe about 10 more minutes worth.  They get nice and browned, and I add a little cinnamon, and we all love them.  I know they would be good spicy, too!

@ Sidneybr- don't give up... we are all in this together... and I confess I have had more than one passing thought of grabbing candy from someone, as they were eating it, these past few days. You can do this! WE all can!!!!

Last night I had a dream about a Lumberjack.... Not Paul Bunyan, but a sandwich made at a local place here. It is a cheese steak on a 14 inch fresh baked daily roll with FRIES and GRAVY on it.... I have no idea why I dreamed about it, but I felt guilty when I woke up :) I have never even eaten one!

@ Lish- LOL! too funny... we will have the quote thing down by the end of the 30 days!

@AprilLynne: I've found that sweet potatoes are one of those veggies that are MUCH better when they're organic. I like them all sorts of ways, but you might try shredding them and making a hash out of them. We saute ours in coconut oil and have it with breakfast, but I think it would be a good side for any meal. I also second trying different varieties – they vary widely in flavor and texture.

M

@AprilLynne yes I think MadScienceM explains it very nicely. I make mine in the mason jar I will store it in...less mess. I crack a whole egg and let it sit for at least 30min with lemon, salt and powdered mustard. Then after thirty min I pour 1/4 light tasting olive oil on top, stick the blender down on the bottom and blend. Then I pour in another cup of oil while its running. I have actually done without the slow drizzle too, just pouring in 1.25c all at once. I agree---blend the egg in the bottom and then after a second or two, start to lift the immersion blender up and down to incorporate in the rest of the oil.

there are less sweet varieties of sweet potatoes but probably hard to find. But I remember reading that white potatoes are now compliant...so long as they are prepared in a compliant way. So maybe you can substitute? Or try substituting with other root veggies like parsnips or turnips? Roasted turnips and radishes are freaking awesome by the way. Again, I would eat a shoe roasted in olive oil :)

Well, I don't care for baked kale chips.  But I did finally get to the store and stocked up on all kinds of goodies.  I did discover that organic canned coconut milk is delicious when poured over blueberries.  I'm feeling pretty good - maybe the energy is kicking in?  Hard to tell with the back, but I will be so happy to get back into swimming once this all clears up.  I am recovering suprisingly quickly, so if the chiropractor can work miracles, I may be in for a 10 mile walk/jog with friends on Sunday - I need that! 

I am tired... and I want a bagel.  I am starring at Culvers across from my office, and I want their chicken sandwich with cheese curds and a Turtle mixer.  There is one of the things that I miss the most... cheese. 

When does the energy come back?  Has anyone done this before? I am constantly tired.  I am not sleeping better.  You guys are my only support in this.... Please Help!

sidneybr, I have been wondering about the energy myself.  I think tonight is the first time I've been up and still alert at this time of night (9:37pm).  Maybe it is the energy.  Stick with it - I think Mdraeger has said something like this more than once, but Culvers will be there when the 30 days are over!  Were eleven days in - we got this ;)

For whatever reason, I have hit a major wall today. Zero appetite, zero energy, super crabby, cravings are taking over, sick of cooking and doing loads of dishes and eating foods that I just don't really care for all that much. My daughter is 18 months and has been so draining today - it's like she knows I'm about to break. It's 11pm in Chicago and she just randomly woke up so even though tired as a dog, I'm stuck up for the next couple hours. I have no creativity or energy left in me anymore. I know I'm being irrational - of course my toddler isn't out to get me, of course this lifestyle change is for my health...I just want some chocolate, is that too much to ask?!?!

Archived