Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Michele66 - thx so much for posting the sweet potato pie recipe. How clever to use the figs instead of the honey. Def. making it and the cran gravy from @mdraeger for Thanksgiving. Thx for everyone's great ideas - Checking in with everyone's post keeps me motivated and I appreciate the food suggestions. Love being past the halfway and feeling like the hard part is over - still waiting for Tiger blood... Anyone have it yet?

@Michelle66 - So great that you're feeling so mentally well - that is a big chunk of what this is all about.  I can't say I feel as great as that, but definitely leveling out.  It can be challenging with three middle school aged kids some days :blink:

@Mermaid - Man, I wish I had the Tiger Blood.  I think I'm a couple days behind on the timeline.  It seems I'm at the stage where my gut is getting healed - still!  

I am having a tough time tonight, almost cracked, but I'm holding strong.  I going to call it a night, and put day sixteen to rest!

Well I'm glad day 16 is over....started off good and about noon OMG I wanted junk food.  I could smell it everywhere and it drove me crazy.  Then in turn I became the B from you know where and everyone had to just get out of my way.  Thank goodness my family still loves me I think :).  All my lovely food that I had ready to be prepared just ticked me off so I ate leftovers from last nights dinner for lunch and dinner today.  It was good then and OK today.  

So yeah no Tiger Blood, a little more energy but I wish I'd just stayed home in bed today.  I'm with @Living4lish I think my gut is still getting healed so I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

Well all I'm just keeping my head down and keeping on with the program.  We're on the downhill slide and I'm not giving up now.  

Here's to day 17 being fabulous <3

Crazy observations... anyone else notice unexpected shifts while doing W30?  I have.

• I am becoming a nicer person... for real.  I think W30 is changing my personality.  :D
  • I look in the mirror and think, not so bad (despite no huge change) vs UG really??
  • I am way more patient.  Never been one of my virtues
  • In general my mood and mood swings are way different.  I am sure I am way more fun to live with

@mdraegerpnw....I hear ya. I can honestly say with any wiggle room in this thing I would not have made it this far.

@susancarole... thanks for the crockpot reminder.  Mine is not being utilized right now and you have convinced me to dust it off - we could use some variety in our eating.

As far as Thanksgiving goes....the only thing I want is red wine.  Everything else is cool with me to be compliant.  I can't wait to have a glass of red wine. :P

@ Michele66 on day 15 I totally had all the same observations you have and today man it was a back slide emotionally.  Here's to getting to day 17 off the sugar train :)

Day 17 - wow. 12 to go?  That number is seeming pretty easy.

@Nashville - :wacko: me too.  Backslide.  I noticed that the emotional backslides was connected to the onset of yet.another.migraine.  Seriously? Enough with the migraines. Almost daily. Worse than any bad spell I've ever had.  I am thinking I probably need more than 30 days.  Pondering a January W30.

@Mermaid - the pie will not disappoint :D and I don't even like pie. I have hit tigers blood here and there but it is not a consistent all day now that I hit it it's with me always...meh. I have some good days where I feel so amazing. And then a headache hits and it all goes to crud.

@living4lish - ;) 3 middle school kids?  wow - yeah I can imagine that is hard! 

All in all yesterday turned out OK.  I ate weirdly (3 small dinners) due to scheduling and events so wondering if I feel hungrier today as I've kept pretty strict to 3 meals and no snacks. Makes me wonder if that is part of the headache issue. The stretches while good for other things, not so good for headaches. Will again today drink a ton of water. 

The hard part in all of this for me has not been the food, nor the strict 3 meals a day. It's been that I've felt worse than ever.  I have been 100% food compliant now for 24 days since I started on 10/20, had a glass of wine on the 24th/25th) and had to start over.  And I feel awful almost daily.  A few amazing days, enough to keep me going.

Anyone taking vitamins?  I have not - they all have extra stuff in them but last night I decided I need to add some that help manage migraines. The labels seem OK in terms of other ingredients but I am thinking some D3, riboflavin and magnesium is in the cards.

Missed checking in yesterday, I had a lot to catch up on! Seems like everyone is doing great! And I agree that I am happier overall now than I was 16 days ago... except for those moments when my brain wants me to eat BAD Stuff.... but even those feelings have started to go away. looking back just 5 days ago, I thought that I was going to give in, but am glad I have stayed with it. I feel pretty good, workouts are getting better and food is tasting good.

Yesterday was a State Holiday for us, so I slept in a little and took the dog to the vet for his yearly visit. I stopped at the store on the way home to get some food stuffs, like cabbage, potatoes, and some fish. I scored big at the store, they had 1.25 pounds of ground turkey for 98 cents!!!! I bought all the packages I could find! I then spent a relaxing part of my day making mayo, coleslaw, roasted sweet and red skinned potatoes. I made the Bora Bora Fireballs again using the ground turkey I picked up cheap and also made an awesome potato salad using some red skinned potatoes and a paleo ranch dressing recipe and voila... yummy potato salad. Can't wait to eat it today!

This morning I had a broccoli, sweet potato, egg scramble. Am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my yellow curry paste today. I am planning on making Cauliflower "rice" with pineapple and curry fish  and curry chicken.... 

Still Cannot believe I have made it this far... Seemed like it may be slightly impossible, but gets easier everyday!

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THANKSGIVING, SINCE OUR W30 OFFICIALLY ENDS THE TUESDAY BEFORE?

16 days ago my plan was to gorge until I was uncomfortable. And sleep it off in the Chaise while watching TV.

Today- my plan is to make some compliant food stuffs for that day. Like the Cherry-Cran Sauce that was posted as well as the sweet potato pie recipe. I may have some stuffing, but frankly am a little worried about the upcoming holiday. I finish on Wed, so I am diving right into it!  The good thing is that Thanksgiving is next door to my house, at my grandparents, so compliant food is just a few steps away. 

I normally run my own personal "Turkey Trot" on T-day, so am going to start the day out like that. A  run around the farm, then a good compliant breakfast. And go from there... I know now that I can truly choose what I Want to eat instead of letting my cravings dictate what I eat. 

@ Kahaliti   You mentioned your cravings are diminishing.  After seeing your posts on Instagram, I don't wonder why.  Oh my.  You can put a meal together!  WOW!!   I need to make some spaghetti sauce. Yours looks amazing! 

Yesterday was ok. Grumpy day for me, so maybe I am behind on the schedule also. I have to think it's because of different genetic makeup, and what we actually are consuming, and what balance we're consuming.  Maybe if we're getting more carbs than we need, especially in fruits, etc, then it's "kicking" us back a few days.  Not saying we won't get there, just might take a little longer. Like the snacks I was eating. My evening bowl of blueberries and raspberries was definitely a sugar craving. Haven't done any snacks since Monday, so I am pretty sure that will change things up a bit.  I am finding the hardest thing is to find what I CAN eat, and getting my hands on it.  Trying to get a good balance of mostly protein and fat, instead of a carb loaded meal. 

Started running and working out again, and feeling pretty good as far as that goes.  Planning on a 13.5 mile trail race in PA in January, so should be ready for that.  It's a monster - the "FROZEN SNOT", and should be a blast.  Some kind of shoe spikes are mandatory or they won't let you race. This is my kind of fun! 

Looking down the road - and have to agree with the rest, my dreams of a Thanksgiving splurge are diminishing.  I will absolutely have something off plan, but not having that huge craving to go nutso. Maybe a piece of pie. Definitely a couple of beers or wine. But not planning on a bowl of ice cream, or anything nuts.  Listened to a podcast yesterday where Loren Cordaine was talking about his turkey stuffing being wild rice and onions, celery, etc.  Said that the wild rice, though a grain, has a low glycemic index, and since you're likely only looking at having it at maybe Thanksgiving and Christmas you can probably handle it. The Paleo diet says you can do a 85:15, and you're going to be pretty good, except for those with Celiacs. 

Sorry for looking ahead, but I find that if I plan down the road, the "workouts" are easier to handle, because it's just part of the planning for the big event - which in this case is a lifetime and lifestyle diet change.  

Also noticing that where I didn't mind my family not being ON the diet, but being supportive was ok, I am starting to desire for them to be on the diet. It's a healthier lifestyle and I want them to be happier and healthier, and I believe this is a big step in the right direction! 

Take care all, and have a wonderful day!  Two weeks from today we will have completed this and be on day 31. What will your day 31 bring?  

Mine will be a beer. A gluten free O'Mission IPA!   With Celery and Chicken wing dip that my wife makes.   I can't wait!!  

@Michelle66 - I know what you mean about not feeling great.  Most of my not feeling great comes from 1) the fact that I came down with a cold the same day we started, and 2) My back decided to whack out exactly one week ago today.  I also can relate to those teasers days where you're feeling great.  I'm hopeful that by sticking with this, those days will become the norm, and the yuck days the exception.

@Madscience - Isn't it amazing how our perspective changes as we go along.  I really hadn't given Thanksgiving a thought when I started, just knew I'd be done with the Whole 30 just before.  LIke you, I probably figured I'd just eat like I normally do on Thanksgiving (i.e., like a pig :wub: ), now I know that I will not do that.  I am going to try to avoid breads for sure, because I know I will be eating food with butter (dairy reintroduction). The hard part for me will be the desserts.

I'm feeling better today after a good breakfast.  I hope I don't get tempted by all the junk food in my house.  It's really hard when you're the only one of five doing the Whole 30.  I will say that I don't cook two meals, but I do modify their meals, and it's working well.  

@ColinB - we must have posted at the same time.  I hear you about the family being supportive but not eating compliant.  I have an (almost) 11 year old who is ADHD, and would truly benefit from this lifestyle.  I have been encouraging him to make better choices, which he has, but ultimately, it's my husband and I who buy the food.  It's hard to change habits, and I don't want him to feel as if he's being punished if he can't eat his sweets, so we really would have to bring his brother and sister on board, too.  Yes, I do know it's the healthiest for all, and it would be the loving, responsible thing to do! 

Michelle - so sorry your feeling crumby!! I couldn't imagine having to start all over again! :-( Are you drinking enough water? I measure mine and drink at least half my body weight in fluid oz daily. On the supplements - I don't take them, they always make me feel bloated and yucky but I do believe in taking 15-20 minutes a day to actively relax yourself. (This is my natural childbirth educator talking here lol!) - lay down and cat nap, walk to clear your head, meditate, stretch with relaxing music, read, take a bath (Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and putting 1/2-1 cup of that in a hot bath to soak may help the migraines?), etc. Hope this helps!!

Livin4lish - you poor thing! Sickness and then injury! I would also do some active relaxation! :-)

Madscience - yay for sleeping in and the turkey sale!! Sounds like your day was nice and relaxing...and yummy! :-) Thanksgiving plans also sound wonderful! I think I'll follow suit and sneak a power walk or jog in before dinner - only mine sadly won't be on a farm!

Colin - why, thank you!! It was seriously my favorite meal of this whole30 so far!! So so good -- didn't even miss the pasta! and I love my new spiralizer tool!! The spaghetti recipe is actually my moms and here it is if you'd like it:

1 sweet onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 regular can or whole tomatoes, cut into quarters

1 lb ground beef

1 lb ground Italian sausage (I couldn't find compliant so I unfortunately omitted) - if you find compliant sausage and plan to use it, you may need more sauce/purée than I'm calling for!

1 large can tomato sauce

1 regular can tomato purée

1 small can tomato paste

Dash of salt and pepper

Dash of garlic and onion powder (optional)

Dash of oregano (optional)

Cook the meat and drain. While meat is cooking on stovetop, Chop/mince the veggies and add to your crockpot. Once meat is cooked and drained add it to the crockpot and close the lid for 5 min to allow the warmth to soften the veggies a bit. Add your tomato sauce, purée and seasonings and mix well. Set crockpot to high and cover, stirring occasionally. Leave on high for about 2 hours and then set it to low for an additional 2-3 hours, again stirring occasionally. If the sauce seems like it's too watery, crack the lid to allow oxygen to firm it up a bit and add the tomato paste as needed.

Zoodles - for 2 people, we used 4 medium sized zucchini and it fed us for dinner and leftover lunch as well. Wash the four zucchini and using a spiralizer or julienne peeler, create zucchini noodles. I put mine in a microwave safe dish with a lid and nuked for 2 minutes because I was low on time. You can use the stovetop or even bake them though I'm sure!

The spiralizer looks complicating but it is awesome, easy and super efficient! I purchased mine on amazon for $25 and can now make zoodles, curly potato fries, melon and apple spirals, etc. so cool and fun!

You sure are a runner, that's awesome!! I wish my body wasn't so out of shape - I realized this last night on the elliptical!! Yikes! Gonna definitely be a slow gradual uphill battle to get back into the exercise grind.

Colin & livin4lish -- kudos to both of you for making it through this without your family members also participating!!! My husband is but if he weren't and I saw him eating non-compliant food, I'm not sure how long my will power would last!! :-/ My daughter is a toddler and demands her organic Mac n cheese, hot dogs and gluten free chicken nuggets still along with all her snacks here and there. She does love fruits and veggies too though and is being exposed to different kinds on this whole30 which I love but yes, want to transition her before it's too late and she's set in her unhealthy ways! ;-)

On the thanksgiving topic - I'm still on the fence. I don't mob on thanksgiving usually anyhow but I do indulge in non-compliant food. Stuffin muffins, green bean casserole and gluten-free pumpkin pie and chocolate cake with my sister's organic homemade whipping cream. Those are the only non compliant foods I will be facing and at this point, I'm thinking I'm just going to enjoy them in moderation. Although Mdraeger makes a good point about the purpose of the whole30 and gradual reintroduction...so that's my dilemma. :-(

My husband on the other hand says he will be going totally compliant and is considering extending his whole30 into a whole60. I said, "Bravo!!" but I'm not so sure I will be joining him for a whole 30 more days. It's becoming easier but I do wish I could make other paleo dishes that aren't exactly whole30 allowed. I'm going to give myself another 10 days to decide on a game plan! :-)

Anyways, good luck on day 17 everyone!!

Good morning, everyone! 

No tiger blood here, but energy is definitely getting better. The past two days I feel like I've needed a ton of sleep, so I'm trying to go to bed earlier to make that happen. I made the Cinnamon Stew from WF. Holy crap was it good! The hubby is on a business trip and I seriously contemplated hiding the leftovers so that I wouldn't have to share... ;-)

I'm in awe of you folks who are doing this with a family of supportive but not on the W30 people. That's tough. I also found it really hard not to preach the W30 gospel to friends and family who would really benefit. But if you just quietly walk the walk, people will notice. I have a very close friend that I was DYING to push the W30 on because I thought it would make a huge difference to her. I lent her ISWF with a very off-hand "If you're ever interested in what we've been doing, you should read this... " Well, two or three months later, she tells me she's going to read it. Then a couple days later, she started a W30 and, as I expected, it was a game-changer. So, keep being a good example and when they're ready, perhaps they'll join you for a future one!

Onward! :-)

@livin4lish - I am starting to get really frustrated.  headache coming on AGAIN today.  tired, feel out of it.  The weekend brought 2 tigers blood days, completely clear headed, no headache whatsoever.  I really thought I'd turned a corner.  headache --> seriously bad mood. I can think of no good reason why I feel crummy.  I seriously cannot imagine the challenge you have being 1 in 5 in your house dong this.  Wow - impressive you have taken this on. I can tell you that in our house we had a carb/sugar addict kid hooked on fast food, we just made our food snob as he called it food (healthy, whole foods) and now he's a food snob in college.  It rubbed off I am saying so I like your approach and it worked for us.  He did eventually make his own better choices and has even thanked us for it.

@kahaliti - probably not drinking enough water but close.  I am focused on that this week and it's improving.  it's not that I drink none, just know 40 oz is not enough.  I also drink a lot of hot tea (it's freezing here and I can't get warm) herbal so compliant I do count that which probably puts me at 60 oz or so.  Good tip on the relaxing.  I am going to Pilates today which will be good and may take a little cat nap this afternoon.

OK back to work...more later as I know there have been some additional posts to review.  cheers all!

@kahaliti, Thanks for the sauce recipe.  I think I'll have to get a spiralizer.  Thanks for the encouraging words, too :D

@Michelle66 - Sorry about the headaches.  Just a thought - are you on any meds?  I know I am hypothyroid (Hashimoto's, which is one of the reasons I found myself here), and perhaps with the dietary changes, and maybe some weight loss (?), your dosage should be changed?  Just a thought.  I know I used to get way more headaches than I do  now, nd they're miserable. 

@Michelle, hope you feel better soon!

It is one of my co-worker's birthdays next week and she picked Red Lobster for us to go to lunch. I managed to find their allergen list online and think my best bet is to go with the Jumbo Shrimp cocktail to start and get a "naked" garden salad. I am going to bring my own ranch dressing... hope they aren't offended  :unsure:

just don't want to get derailed after so much work... I was hoping we would go to one of the local places where I know they make things to order, but no worries, I will find a solution... who knows I might just get double appetizers of jumbo shrimp!!!!

feeling good today... headed to the gym after work and hoping for some good lifts today... I must say that my jeans are feeling looser today  :D

@Michele66: That super sucks about the headaches. I hope the tiger blood comes back soon!

I just had to pop in here and say I'm having the weirdest (good) mood today. It's a pretty typical day at work. I went for a run at lunch and found I was grinning like a crazy person (and was going much faster than normal while doing so!) Then afterward as I was eating lunch at my desk (regular old leftovers, nothing special – although there was guacamole involved... ) I was just feeling so lucky to be eating such as awesome lunch. Since I've been blaming every little twinge and stomach cramp on the W30, I'm going to credit it for this big charge of positivity. 

I hope this sticks around and that y'all will start feeling awesome as well!

Michelle

Hi everyone - I started Whole30 on Oct 26, but my support thread fizzled out. Hoping you won't mind if I jump in here fo a little support. Just finished Day 18 and have been fighting with food boredom and cravings for several days.

I noticed Michelle's post about headaches, and I sympathize. Whole30 has caused my hormones to do, well, something - I don't know what and I have been struggling with headaches too. Really hoping that situation will improve SOON!

Welcome @JustJoyce....I don't think our group is going anywhere so the more the merrier :).

Well I'll be out of touch for the next 4 days on retreat, so I have a plan in place to stick to Whole 30.  Looking forward to this weekend but I'll miss the support from this end for sure.  Wishing you all a wonderful long weekend with Tiger Blood.

See ya on Day 22!

@kahaliti - thanks so much for the tip about relaxing mid-day.  I took a nap.  For an hour!  Clearly I needed it. I think it saved me yesterday :) 

@ mdraegerpnw - tigers blood??  whoop whoop!

@livin4lish - no, not on any meds.  I used to take a naturopathic mix of vitamins and realized I've stopped without thinking about it.  It made me wonder if I did get something from them after all. 

@madsciencem - feeling good and pants looser?  hooray!

@justjoyce - Hi - I've seen you on other strings.  welcome!!  hormones... I am beginning to think the same.  seriously there's nothing else left to point to!  That and sleep. I sleep through the night but wake up super early (always an issue while Paleo :angry:

@Nashville - day 22....love the sound of that!  Have a great retreat!

Feeling better today.  With no headache?  Definitely tigersblood.  We are on the homestretch and definitely moving to the place of "why stop???"  Hubby is loving the chance to make things from scratch.  Last night he made LaraBars (so good, so much cheaper!) and ground his own beef.  I am going to make the Cinnamon Beef this weekend Michelle mentioned.  Can't wait.  I definitely have it easer than all of you doing this solo in your household. 

Last night we had a very tasty dinner.  Catfish coated in egg and then cashew flour, pan fried in avocado oil.  Collards in bacon fat, with Franks hotsauce and cider vinegar.  Green salad with roasted beets. Man, the catfish was so good.  With the cashew flour no tartar needed!!

A new I guess you can call it fear...is creeping in.  We have not been eating out unless it is a salad bar with all labels marked.  Has helped offset the cost of food!  This weekend we have two times that we are eating out at restaurants.  We thought last night, how we gonna pull this off???  We know we can order plain, ask about the ingredients but it occurred to us, we really don't know what is in/on the food.  We' prefer to not eat out but at the same time it's a test.  Re-entry will be eating out at bit more.

Starting to feel excited that the holidays are not going to be a time where I gain weight :lol: things are definitely in control.  I am even pondering another W30 in January if I do need a little re-set.  Crazy!

Welcome @JustJoyce! Food Boredom is hard. I look through the Foodie Website whole 30 recipes to try and find one that looks good for me. I also try to vary my proteins and veggies every week.... it has been helping this time around. I think that is part of the reason my first try failed, just let the boredom lead to the wrong food choices.

@ Nashville have a great retreat!!!

@ md and Michele66 - tiger blood is yours!!!

I think there might be the Tiger blood flowing my way as well. Had a GREAT day in the gym last night and an even better night of teaching dance. I felt great, had tons of energy, and even came home and made some fish curry and some chicken curry... with spaghetti squash. Was so good!

I am preparing for my weekend out of town for dance comp. Have plenty of food I am going to bring, so ready to get it done. I am glad I am at this point when I am challenging myself with being offroad, I am in a way better mind set this week than last week. 

Hi everyone! I am the remaining straggler from the 10/26 thread with @JustJoyce, I've been following this group since the start so I feel all caught up with you guys  :). Like Joyce I'm experiencing some food boredom, I have no desire to eat non-compliant food but my meals have become more of a necessity than a joy. I need to find a way to mix it up.

I had an unsettling experience last night. Around 10 pm, I took a bath with coconut and lavender oils hoping to unwind from a stressful day but after about 15 minutes I started to feel light headed. Things got so fuzzy that I had to call for my boyfriend, who helped me out of the tub and brought me some water. No clue if this was program related but it makes me wonder if I'm not eating enough/getting enough water. Regardless, I might be taking a break from my bathtub.

Hope everyone has a healthy and happy day!

Hi Carolyn128 -

I have had this happen a few times (not in a bathtub) but walking.  The ground rolls, dizzy spells.  They are better now - I am drinking more water, eating more, salting things and added a sweet potato daily - think I needed more carbs.  Yikes - unsettling.  Hope this is a one-time thing for you!

Interesting, we are having the opposite experience regarding food boredom.  We were bored at first, eating the same things, recently something has kicked in and we are eating more variety than ever, enjoying our meals more and more as time goes on.  We are even bummed we have a few social events out this weekend as we'll miss the chance to cook.  I think we broke the cycle searching for paleo meals online, buying unusual ingredients to cook something new.  We made a chicken with mushrooms/mushroom stock (thickened w/arrowroot) recently that was amazing.  What we essentially did was adapt a chicken marsala recipe and found it just as satisfying! 

Archived