DAY 30 :D

cheer4mia

okay so i don't know if anyone actually reads these so i'm writing this more for myself. 

pre-whole30, i normally ate fairly clean. most of the problem food groups i didn't have a big problem with. i am/was lactose intolerant, so i didn't eat dairy too often, the only legume i enjoyed was peanut butter (and only once in awhile), and i rarely ate corn/quinoa/etc. however, pasta was my heart and soul. i didn't have a big sugar dragon, but i learned that i did have an emotional connection to some foods. drinking a tall nonfat caramel frappuccino with whipped cream and extra caramel every day caused me to depend on it. i went through phases of eating healthier and eating not so healthy, and i was never in control of my cravings. if i craved something, i knew i didn't have to eat it, i knew i could say no, but i ate it anyway. i've always been super anxious and easily stressed because of OCD when i was younger that i just recently have started to learn to control, and i normally woke up multiple times a night. i was always tired, even if i slept enough on the weekends, and even if i went to bed early during the week. i wasn't bad, but i wasn't great overall. i was happy, but we can compare pre-whole30 happy to post whole30 happy later.

anyways someone i follow on tumblr posted her weight loss progress of her whole30 along with every other positive change she had experienced, so i looked into it. i've always been so unhappy with my body (what teenage girl isn't), so the weight loss aspect of it really pulled me in. i figured maybe after 30 short days of clean eating, the little weight i wanted to lose could be off once and for all. so i convinced my mom to do it with me, and we planned our start date. 

i never expected that the whole30 would be this hard, but i never expected i'd get so many rewards from it either. each hour of each day was different, especially in the beginning. in the first week, i was shaking and in tears over not having my frappuccino. i felt like i was a drug addict going through withdrawal, except it was a frappuccino, not drugs. i got angry almost every day, and i was beyond frustrated for the first 2/3 of the program. some days i'd be like "wow this is so easy!" and some days i'd crave a big chocolate bar, when i don't even eat big chocolate bars. i had that "i am so over this" attitude for most of the program. by the halfway point, i was visibly losing weight and looking less bloated, and by day 20-25 my energy was through the roof, i was sleeping great, i still felt like my body was slowly losing weight. but because i couldn't have the foods i was craving, i felt like i was living in a nightmare. 

now that i've reached day 30, i have to say its bittersweet. i've loved taking this journey with my mom, and my mind almost can't comprehend what a huge thing i've just accomplished. i've said "see you later" to clif bars, doritos, caramel frappuccinos, greek yogurt, chocolate chips, and pasta (my heart and soul) for 30 days. i have so much energy, i sleep soundly (sometimes even all through the night). and i'm relaxed and happy. i've learned that i have more control than i think i do over cravings. and for the first time in forever, i put on my homecoming dress, and as i looked in the mirror, i wasn't upset with what i saw. i don't think my body is perfect, but i like it a lot better now than i did before. 

although i have been miserable for most of these past 30 days, if i had the choice to go back and do it or not, i would definitely have done it. i've learned so much and accomplished so much. to look around me on the forum and see only adults taking this initiative on their lives, i feel even more great that as a teenager, i was able to do it for myself.

if i can do the whole30, i can do anything.

:D

Hi there! I'm Mia's mom who was lucky enough to take this journey with her! I am so proud of her determination and the empowerment she has gained because of taking on a Whole30! She faced many temptations even in social situations (which are even more difficult for teens than for adults) but she stayed true to the program and to herself. 

It was a gift for me, too. In more subtle ways, but just as important for me. I have an increased awareness for the details of food that I may have overlooked before (and I was already very nutritionally aware). As someone who loved to cook before but often brought in "healthy" food to save time, I am now cooking every day. I am grateful to Mia for taking me along for the ride!  :D 

Congratulations Mia on conquering that sugar dragon (or really, Starbucks dragon) at such a young age. I hope you continue through life with the little Whole30 angel on your shoulder reminding you to eat the right foods. It took most of us a lot longer (40 years for me!).

Congratulations Mia on conquering that sugar dragon (or really, Starbucks dragon) at such a young age. I hope you continue through life with the little Whole30 angel on your shoulder reminding you to eat the right foods. It took most of us a lot longer (40 years for me!).

thank you so much for your kind words <3 

and thank you to everyone else as well reading these makes my day :)

Archived