New and starting Monday November 10th!

Guest Becky1971

Guest Becky1971

Hi there! I'm Becky and I'm thrilled to be here!  

I just finished reading It Starts With Food.. A fantastic book. I have known for several years that food has a huge impact on my hormones, and my emotions and so forth, so it was exciting to have confirmation of that and have it all cleared up for me as to why. 

Six years ago I decided to take control of my eating, I got healthy in the end had lost 60 pounds. 3 years in I started having issues with gluten, so I took that out of what I ate, as time went on it became dairy, soy, nuts, etc. Eventually I was told about Fodmaps and I followed that, what a difference it made. However, I still struggled with inflammation, I even had to have a brain MRI as my DR thought for sure I had MS.  Five months ago we bought a store, and my life has been turned upside down, I have failed to stay on track and now eat all kinds of junk food. When I was doing FODMaps, I had to cut out many vegetables I had grown to love, and then I had Gallbladder surgery last year, so more food was cut out.  I lived for 6 months on egg whites, Very lean chicken, banana, rice cereal for most of the time because of all the issues.It's been a very long time since I have been able to make any sense out of what my body is accepting of and what it isn't. So I have been trying to eat based on Fodmaps, Anti inflammatory diet, food sensitivities and allergies, as well as staying away from migraine triggers, and things that shifted my moods and eating low fat because of the pain from gallbladder removal. So I suppose it's no wonder that with some added stress, I lost complete traction and jumped right back into comfort foods and such.  

So I read this book, and I feel like magic is about to happen. I have already begun making changes based on the book and am happy with them, but I still struggle with my "vices" although I did go five days without them while reading the book. I'm so tired of this battle, I want to feel healthy again, I want to feel good about making the right choices for my body and mind. I am loving eating more vegetables again. I'm excited about this journey I am about to fully commit to, but I also know that It's hard to do alone, so here I am! :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Becky, it's great to come across another newbie! We're starting our journeys at the same time. It will be interesting coming off auto pilot and not reaching for "whatever" given that it's one less thing to think about with my crowded life- I know I have slipped back into old thought patterns and therefore crowded out my life with the tyranny of the urgent rather than the important! and then slip in the ever increasing "treats" that end up making feel so bloated, lethargic and very ordinary.... how nutty is that!  Like you I'm so over this battle and need a fresh start too :)

Guest Becky1971

Hi Becky, it's great to come across another newbie! We're starting our journeys at the same time. It will be interesting coming off auto pilot and not reaching for "whatever" given that it's one less thing to think about with my crowded life- I know I have slipped back into old thought patterns and therefore crowded out my life with the tyranny of the urgent rather than the important! and then slip in the ever increasing "treats" that end up making feel so bloated, lethargic and very ordinary.... how nutty is that!  Like you I'm so over this battle and need a fresh start too :)

Indeed!

For me the biggest change is not counting calories, not measuring everything and not weighing all the time. I feel so relieved. It can get overwhelming just thinking about all the numbers.

Hi Becky and Leonie - I'm a newbie starting on Nov.10th as well. I'm really hoping that this program will be the beginning of the end of a life long battle with food. I also just recently ended a 5 year relationship that was, at times, as toxic as some of the things I've eaten so I'm really looking at this as fresh start all around. 

Looking forward to sharing this journey with both of you and all of the other November starters!

Guest Becky1971

Hi Becky and Leonie - I'm a newbie starting on Nov.10th as well. I'm really hoping that this program will be the beginning of the end of a life long battle with food. I also just recently ended a 5 year relationship that was, at times, as toxic as some of the things I've eaten so I'm really looking at this as fresh start all around. 

Looking forward to sharing this journey with both of you and all of the other November starters!

Congratulations on getting out of that relationship! And congratulations on starting Whole30!  You deserve to take care of yourself and are off to a great start! 

Guest Becky1971

Congratulations on getting out of that relationship! And congratulations on starting Whole30!  You deserve to take care of yourself and are off to a great start! 

Rereading this I realize congratulating you on getting out doesn't sound so great. Not sure what the circumstances are, I know there are many emotions involved, but starting fresh, and giving yourself the life you deserve is indeed a positive thing! So Just wanted to apologize, if it sounded insensitive cause I sure didn't mean it that way.

Hi everyone

I'm starting(again) today. Good luck to everyone. 

My first whole 30 ended on a whole 20 (by choice as i was going back home and wanted to indulge in some local foods i miss).

I found the 20 days not too bad, some cravings and headaches but in general, I ate so well i didnt really miss chocolate or sugar. I did miss dairy a little and bread (my favourite food in the whole world) but i was able to manage so I am confident you will all do well

Greetings everyone!  I completed a Whole105 in September and never felt better!  I have maintained my 27 pound weight loss from that time, but I am realizing that I never feel as good as when I'm "all in."  I should add my posts that I did along the way to my signature line as a good reminder of how I felt!

I'm jumping in here to get back on track with some buddies for encouragement.

Glad to be aboard!

Becky - is your signature quote Lysa TerKeurst?

For the new folks, I highly recommend referencing the  What to expect timeline.

Hello Everyone

This is my experience with the Whole 30.  I have 2 friends who lost 15 and 24 pounds respectively.  They both told me how great they felt after completing the Whole 30 so I said....why not.

I'm excited about taking control of what I eat with the knowledge and motivation of this entire program.  Good luck and great eating to everyone starting today.

Hi There,

I am also starting today.  This is my first Whole30 so I am excited.  My husband and I are doing it together so I am hoping we can help each other during tough times.  The main reason I wanted to do this is because I am sick of feeling like crap all the time.  I have been to a number of doctors who have done many tests and haven't found anything technically wrong with me, but I know something isn't right.  I have a likelihood of developing a autoimmune disease (an antinuclear antibody level which only 5% of the population can have without a found issue) and family history of diabetes and stroke and I am gaining weight like crazy.  I realize change has to happen NOW!

I am taking the Registered Holistic Nutritionist course and I am using this as an experiment with myself to see how just altering diet can make a difference in someone who has "nothing wrong with them" clinically.  I know this will be tough, I have done Candida diets before and they generally didn't make it past 1 1/2 weeks (my lack of willpower and/or addiction to sugars and carbs are overwhelming at times).  I think this will be different though because of the support I can receive here and from my husband, and my determination to sort myself out.  

I am looking forward to seeing how I feel in 30 days!  

Shannon

So cool to know we're not alone!   I'll hit the full November starters thread next, but knowing so many of us have such different stories and are starting the SAME DAY is very cool.      I'm here because I've been overweight forever and increasingly worried lately about all the fake stuff that takes the place of the calories and the fat in the "healthy" food I've been eating.    Well, that and the fact that a woman I've known since grade school has lost 126lbs so far and was a featured success story on the site last week - http://whole30.com/2014/10/whole30-weight-loss-katie-k-s-story/ Until she posted that on Facebook I really just thought she'd been doing exceedingly well on the same plan that was failing me so miserably...   Anyway, really really glad to be here!

Shannon - interestingly, I found with the Whole 30 that my cravings decreased over time. I think you're right - that 2 week mark is challenging. But there are such great rewards for sticking with it!  Looking back, I now think you can do anything for 30 days.  The biggest trick is eating out.

And, in case anyone gets tempted, DO NOT TRY TO EAT AT SOMEONE ELSE'S HOUSE!!  We tried it with some very understanding friends, and it was crazy. There's quinoa in here, that's ok, right? You can eat goat cheese, right? I mean, it's funny now, but it wasn't funny then!! I felt like a HORRIBLE guest. But I was 26 days in, and I was not going to give in!!

Thanks for the link Abi - I will look forward to reading that.

I'm a little head achey today, but not bad. I know this time next week I'll be feeling great!

Day 1 completed without any issues.  I even worked out at lunch.  I can tell a difference in how I feel after only day.  I don't always eat alot but don't eat the healthiest foods.  So even after a small meal of unhealthy food I get that bloated full feeling.  Staying away from bread, pasta and beer is huge for me.  Bring on Day 2 and healthy eating to everyone. 

Well day 2 has already brought a challenge on that I almost reacted with a f*&% it i'll just buy a omelette, buttttt reason set in and I realized that 
1. That omelette I buy could have milk or other stuff in it that I can't have and I don't want to bother risking it
2. I still have time to make ANOTHER omelette (story to what happen to the first one at the end of this)
3. If I did just buy one I could be setting myself up for failure later on

So what happened to the first omelette...AND my sausage....one word...Jasper. Well at least my dog had a delicious breakfast this morning too :) grrrrr

No crazy withdrawal here yet and I am super proud of the food that I've been making myself, and as I sit here I'm super excited about the shrimp scampi I have planned for lunch, but I noticed two things last night - 

1) I'm actually a little anxious about all this, or perhaps excited?  I haven't slept very well the last two days and last night I had a dream that I absent-mindly popped a ritz cracker in my mouth and started spitting crumbs all over my friend's kitchen! I don't even like ritz crackers and I don't see this happening, but apparently my subconcious is really paranoid that I'm going to forget that I'm doing this just long enough to really screw it up.

2) I'm totally fat-phobic.  Is that even a thing?   I knew I had a problem with carbs and sugar, but it never even occurred to me how worried I am about any amount of fat in my foods.  I've prepared half a dozen meals or so now and scooping a teaspoon of coconut oil into the pan (instead of spraying with that can of no stick, no calorie, no fat, not food chemical concoction) is oddly liberating and mildly terrifying.   I'm breaking bad behaviors that I didn't even know that I had, and it's only Day 2! 

I've read the labels on a few of my favorite hot sauces and most don't contain any sugars.  Are hot sauces alright to have?

Yep - they even recommend it a couple of places.   Careful though, as a lot of my favorites seem to contain a bunch of unpronounceable ingredients for no reason.   Good ol' Tabasco (the original kind) is just Peppers Vinegar and Salt - nothing wrong with that!     So far my most frequent point of reference has been here: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ 

Has anyone seen a "Whole30 guide to additives" somewhere?   I know we don't want any additives, but some are just scienc-y names for everyday stuff and others are flat out poison...

Abi - I really can relate to what you're experiencing!  I think it's normal to be a little anxious and be afraid of making a mistake. I would expect the dreams to get worse before they get better :)

When I started Whole 30 I was just about terrified of the fat.  I decided I would have faith in the process. I now really enjoy it! I figured there are so many things you CAN'T have on Whole30, why not enjoy what I can have? You'll be surprised, it will keep you fuller than you've probably felt before.

Congrats to everyone on two successful days!

I felt so good last evening after eating well and working out during lunch that I went for a walk.  I felt energized the entire time.  All I could think about was this diet and what meals I could prepare for myself in the coming days.  So when I was done I went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients to make white chicken chili,  Being prepared and thinking ahead is huge for me.  If I'm hungry I need to know exactly what I'm going to eat so I don't get distracted.  I hope everyone's day 2 went as good as mine.  Bring on day 3!

Jeffrey - planning is definitely the hardest part of this program! I didn't have any of the bad symptoms you would expect in week 1, maybe you will skip them, too!

On my first Whole 30, one of our group members chose an ingredient of the day, and then posted several recipes for that ingredient. Not to overwhelm you early on, but I've included the link here. A FABULOUS RESOURCE!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20737-ingredient-of-the-day-recipe-links-for-each-day-of-whole-30/

Happy day 3 everyone!

Archived