Day #5. Sick of this food.

DocGB1973

I have just completed Day5, and I barely made it through dinner without gagging. I am a recovering vegetarian, and getting myself to eat meats has not been easy. I only really like grilled chicken breast (homemade with lots of garlic) or chicken cutlets, and I eat fish and eggs,

Maybe it's that I had to work a night shift last night, and I usually respond by wanting to scarf down carbs. I made fantastic turkey burgers but could hardly eat one, despite being hungry.. My array of wonderful veggies also didn't seem so wonderful. Ecch. I want a slice of pizza. Or a hunk of cheese.

Will this get better?

Thanks,

GB

I am also on day 5.  I have had no cravings really yet and no symptoms despite my generally pretty bad diet prior, but today has been ROUGH!  I just want to give up, I hardly wanted to eat my chicken or my vegetables, I just want the free pizza that they are offering next door. I am also working a night shift right now actually, which I would think would make it easier with distractions, but nope.

I know it will pass and I am trying to stay tough.  Only a few more hours til I can just go to bed, but I am honestly leaning on coffee right now to curb my cravings and exhaustion :S

Might have to do a caffeine detox after this haha

Shannon

You go through phases. Try to get inspired by some compliant recipes. The Clothes Make The Girl has some great ideas for chicken. Nom nom paleo has some too. Do you eat Turkey? Quail? Rabbit? Shellfish? How about ground chicken stir fried with veggies? Or ground chicken cooked with Mexican spices served over salad for a taco salad? How about mussels steamed with a broth of tomato, jalapeño, ghee and chicken broth served over cauliflower rice? How about roasted veggies with coconut oil and salt and pepper? Enjoy!

• Moderators

You might want to review Eating Meat: A Primer for the Meat Challenged: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

You might want to review Michelle Tam's discussion of surviving the night shift: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/55156756199/surviving-the-night-shift

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do the pounding of the chicken breast--I guess that's why it's more palatable (plus being oh so bland). I am still gaggy today, but trying to get in a little more water.

The strawberries I had alongside my lunch helped a little bit. I wonder if the nausea is also attributable to ketosis.

Going out to dinner tonight, and the best option I found was Greek ... we can get our proteins grilled with lemon and olive oil. At least there's that. Hope to get over the hump soon.

Woohoo I made it past awful day 5.  Today has been much better.  I am still feeling a little less than enthusiastic about my meals, but once I start eating them it gets better.  I just find I don't want as much of it now.  My energy levels are way better today though.  I think lack of time is the biggest factor now.  The first couple of days I had taken a lot of time to make really yummy compliant meals, but I have been a little busy so the last couple have been less flavorful so that could be why.   I will be on the hunt for quicker yummy options now.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on breakfast ideas other than eggs?  I'm getting a bit sick of eggs.  I found some compliant sausage and I've had sweet potato hash quite a bit and left over steak, that was good, but quick non-egg breakfast ideas are eluding me.

Shannon

Archived