Can clean eating make your system more sensitive?

jrustdc

I did a partial whole 30 in May and had amazing results - no acne, all digestive issues cleared up, better mood, more energy - and had very few reactions when I went off road. Well, that is until the end of July when I completely threw the baby out with the bathwater and ate everything up to and including Wonderbread (don't ask).

I started again on August 4. My results so far are mixed. My acne had never come back but 1 week into it I got a couple of zits (remarkable simply because I hadn't had ANY in months - why after I started eating CLEANER?). Initially, my digestive system improved, but after about the first week, I started having trouble, seemingly when I eat nuts. Nuts have never bothered me before. Am I now more sensitive than I was in May?

The alternate hypothesis is that I have been under a fair amount of stress in the last 10 days. Could stress alone wreck my digestion even though I am eating squeaky clean?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Both of your hypotheses could be correct - even at the same time. Eating this way lowers your general inflammation levels and makes you much more aware of how your body is responding to what you put in it. The longer you do it, the more aware you are. It's entirely possible that you're noticing a reaction now that you may not have when there was a lot of feedback coming from your body.

Also, stress does wacko things to our bodies and (at least for me) can completely change my reactions to things. Not sure why...but it does. There is probably a very sciency answer to this that Renee or Megan or Melissa or Dallas can explain.

Both of your hypotheses could be correct - even at the same time. Eating this way lowers your general inflammation levels and makes you much more aware of how your body is responding to what you put in it. The longer you do it, the more aware you are. It's entirely possible that you're noticing a reaction now that you may not have when there was a lot of feedback coming from your body.

This is what my mother threw at me (not too happily!) when I was staying with them on holidays "So you are giving yourself a sensitivity to something you used to be fine with??"

Archived