The "It's December, Am I Insane?" Thread

tinman57

Yup.  Dec 1 will be a new Whole30.

What have I gained since my last one?

Well, outside of running through oats and tortillas and vino like you-know-what through a goose, I have gained:

Swollen ankles

Itchy eyes

Sneezy nose

Itchy Other Parts

Dry skin

Crankiness

Under eye circles

Acne

Joint Pain

Sounds like fun, eh?  The antithesis of a Success Story, these past few weeks could be called "Tinman's Brain Takes A Vacation".

Or "Tinman's Lower Intestine Rides a Roller Coaster".

It's hard to choose between gross TMI and catchy retro titles.  Either way I'm going to return to Whole30 eating December 1.  It's kind of lame not to just say "I'll start today" but there's something magical about the start date.

On the other hand, cooler brains than mine are probably saying "Just wait until Jan 1 with all the other schlubbs who make resolutions."  But I don't want my 2015 Resolution to be "I'll eat food".  I think that's like saying "I'll breathe."  There are so man other things I could use 2015 for and I don't want them to involve food!

So here I go again.  It's okay though, really.  There's more than a little circumstantial evidence that when I eat certain foods, I have negative effects.  Tah dah.  I'm a simple person. 

Best wishes, tinman.  :)  I'll be following along on your journey.

I know some folks don't like the idea of doing a Whole 30 through the holidays, but I can't think of a better time to do one.  Think of ALL the stuff you will be saving your body from having to deal with -- things that are literally only tempting maybe once a year (and are probably not worth it).  You have the perfect reason to be strong and say, "No, thank you."

Cool.

Hi TinMan,

You know you are not alone, I'll be trucking right along with you!  I predict you'll feel better very soon.  And for the record, I nominate you as Official Title Maker of all threads - you are so clever!

Well, after a Thanksgiving trip to Catalina Island replete with non compliant foods I am chafing at the bit to switch over to the Whole30. To the extent that I'm already starting to stop the crap out of my days remaining prior to Whole30. One of those many "I can't wait to not eat" days.

Right now a ton of family stress that I hadn't anticipated managing but hey, there are very few stress free periods in anyone's life and one way or another I have to deal.

Got out the frozen ground buffalo to whip,up the chocolate chili from Well Fed. Have two leftover Spicy Tuna Cakes from Nom Nom Paleo thawing and will be ditching the vino by Monday. I'm lucky there: my husband doesn't do much other than some peach flavored beverage before dinner. If I have a glass of wine it will most certainly be the first of many. The big issue for us is that Friday night pizza. We tend to squabble about that but oh well.

Getting to the end of 2014 and I feel it's been a fairly lousy year. So now is the time to look at how I would like to feel at the end of 2015.

Glad to see you guys here. We can do this and help each other.

I'm starting my first Whole30 December 14 when I get back from a vacation. The holidays are the perfect time for me. I don't have a family and it will save me from all the crap that people bring into work.

The celebratory alcohol will be what i miss the most...partly the taste but mostly the social aspect.

I'm reading the book now and can't wait to start but I will be camping on vacation and keeping perishable foods will be too much of a hassle.

Sounds like you're ready to go with all the great food thawing. I agree that the holidays are a great time since we'll be avoiding so much junk. It really opened my eyes on thanksgiving and made me realize all the bad food I would have eaten had I not been on whole30. Hope you have a great day 1 tomorrow!

tinman - loved reading your posts... !!   I think now is a great time to start another w30..  yes a good excuse to bypass all the crap people bring in.  When I'm at work people now understand this isn't just a DIET  (augh yes I said the word) and they respect me for what I am doing for my body.  So now there is even less pressure from the peeps to eat the crap.

Just remember how you will feel when the swelling starts going down, the gurgly stomach is gone, the itchy skin is better.   I was so thankful when the swelling in my legs went away and I didn't need my pain killer anymore.  That alone keeps me on the straight and narrow. !!

Good luck !

Happy Dec 2.  Yesterday was not perfect and today will not be perfect so I'll restart tomorrow.  WHY you ask was it NOT perfect? 

Well, back to work tends to make Tinman a very sad robot.  But I was also teetering between a Whole30 and (believe it or not) South Beach. I know, I know!  Anyway from a South Beach perspective yesterday was perfect.  Today won't be perfect for either (lovely multi-grain tortilla for my egg).  And, you know what? That's okay.

The Whole9 Facebook page had a great post: "Your food choices are not a statement about your self-worth, your value, or your significance. Believe this, and everything changes."  SO I am not judging my waffling nor even my choices which,  considering everything, have not been bad -- just not "compliant".  But I'm good with that.  I made these choices not for bad reasons...just for other reasons.

I think a lot of this habit forming is cumulative anyway.  Each time I choose something to eat it should, at the very least, be a conscious decision: "Am I hungry and is this an appropriate choice for what I need right now?"

Tina Marie, you have it right: Just remember how "good" feels so good and that makes decisions a lot simpler.  Rather than pick at my SAD scab (but I WANT a tortilla), consider the body before refilling it.  Your brain is all your body has to keep it safe.

Yesterday i ended up going home early because my stomach was feeling "peculiar" and I really didn't relish getting stuck on a rainy freeway for 2 hours.

Slept okay through the night but I am still struggling with a bug of some sort.   This may or may not be helpful going forward.

Hi Tina.  I'm just "middlin" as they say back home.  December isn't going to work for me to be super strict.  I have some serious family stress going on in addition to the stuff at work.  I'm not going to go nuts but a compliant Whole30 it will not be.

Thanks for checking in!

Looking at the usual January deal.  <sigh>

Though I do know this for sure: eating the wrong stuff makes my head explode.  I'm all snotty and sneezy and my eyes burn and it's just uncomfortable.  So I'll eat primal as much as possible and skip the grains I don't need and the dairy I don't need and see if we can come out of this fog.  See you all on the flipside!

Archived