How long to get back on track??? (India)

Andreabgm

My husband has recently retired and is excited to see of much as the world as we can.  He is busy planning a trip for us to India in February and I am very hesitant to go--because of my Whole30 lifestyle. I finished very successfully about two weeks ago --am losing weight and feel great--and I have continued on.  I honestly  have no desire to even add back foods (although I am realistic and know there will be occasions where I will eat off-plan).

I read the blog posts here pertaining to India that basically say "give it up while you are there".  I don't want to be the tourist who is asking for accommodations everywhere and I understand that that might be pointless in India anyway.  So if I have to eat non-compliant foods for two weeks--am I then completely negating all the good effects of the last few months?  I obviously will start over when I get back.  Can i assume then it takes 30 days again for my body to readjust?

This makes me not want to travel anywhere and just stay home and eat compliantly (I am sure Melissa would disapprove of that!).

Advice?

You may not like this answer, but after eating off plan, it's going to take as long as it takes to reset your body back.  

I would say go to India, and enjoy the local food (when you have water, I suggest drinking bottled water only). If gluten is a real problem for you, then avoid/minimize naan. If dairy is a real problem for you, avoid/minimize dishes made with yogurt. 

When you come back, do a Whole30 when you're ready, and stay on it as long as you need to, to feel better again.

• Moderators

I just got back from an 8 day trip. I was in North Carolina, so getting meat and vegetables was relatively easy, but I did off-road from my normal Whole30 approach by eating yogurt and bread. I didn't sleep as well as I usually do and developed a few aches in my hands, but nothing major. I have been back home and back on my usual diet for 3 days now. I am sleeping better and the aches in my hands are gone. I felt weaker in my workout yesterday, but anticipate being back to my normal in about a week. I'm with Chris: go to India and enjoy yourself.

And here is something I hear from travelers outside of the US: Off plan foods that you eat in other countries may not cause the same troubles as foods in the US. Other countries have less GMO foods, different varieties, and may prepare their foods differently. That does not make gluten healthy, but it does mean that you may suffer less going off plan in another country. 

Have you done an appropriate reintro after finishing your Whole30? This would be an important step as it will help you to determine which foods affect you most adversely.  That way, when you are traveling, you sou;ld know the ingredients that would be most important for you to avoid and which ones you can let slide.

I have a couple of things to add here.

Firstly, do a proper reintro before you leave so you know which foods to be more picky and choosy on.

Secondly, in response to this "So if I have to eat non-compliant foods for two weeks--am I then completely negating all the good effects of the last few months?"  Every whole30 meal you put into your body, is doing better for you than if it weren't whole30. So just keep doing what you are doing, use your newfound knowledge to minimise damage while you are away, and try not to stress about food for the trip, then get back and focus on healing.

This article is great for the attitude side of travelling on a restricted diet, it helps me a lot http://thepaleopi.com/2014/10/22/5-insights-on-travelling-abroad-on-a-restricted-diet/

These are all good answers and information. Thanks everybody.  I hadn't thought about importance of the re intro.  Up until now I have seen no reason to reintroduce non compliant foods because I really don't miss them.  I guess I was planning on just diving in all at once if necessary on the trip. Bad idea.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Archived