So I got a dehydrator for christmas

Vian

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but I'd like other people's input. I know things like home made beef jerkey are fine for emergency protein while out of the house, but what about dried fruits, fruit leather, fruit bars, veggie chips, fruit chips, etc? I'm thinking they are along the lines of lara bars or any chip: if you are just mindlessly snacking on them and/or you have no control with them, they should be avoided. Which means I should stop making apple chips for my whole30 because I'm eating them as fast as I'm making them >.< But the jerky is good! 

Vian - I went to the health food store... looked over the rows and rows of Lbars, veggie and fruit chips. I  read the labels and thought about you.  Jerky is good.  You can dry fish, too.   Smoked fish actually has a better taste.  Salmon and trout are the best for drying and smoking.   

IMG_7324.jpg

I was thinking about getting some salmon, smoking it on the grill, and then making jerkey, or just buying already smoked salmon and dehydrating it. I love salmon so much. I made some ground beef jerkey already that turned out pretty well, needs more black pepper though. Yeah, I'll just stick to dehydrating meats for now!

Archived