January 1st Start - Second Whole 30

reece1932

Hello,

I did my first Whole 30 this October and was very impressed with the results.  Unfortunately, work stress has become ridiculous and I haven't just fallen off but under the wagon.

Therefore, I have decided that I am going to do another one starting tomorrow.  I didn't emphasize a few things last time that I need to.  One is keeping a food journal.  The other is truly listening to my body and breaking some of my emotional eating.  I am going to focus more on those this time.  I also am going to consider extending it past 30 days if necessary to really solidify new habits.

Emily

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in tomorrow too! This is my 3rd whole 30. I did one and continued on for another 30. I finished up in November. Joint pain disappeared. Stuffiness, puffy eyes, bloating, IBS - totally eliminated. However, after a month of reverting to old behavior, my symptoms are creeping back too. I'm tired when I wake up, achy, sluggish...I just feel better when I'm on it. Sugar cravings are a real butt-kicker for me. I don't think of myself as a big dessert person, but all the sneaky sugars in other places really have a hold on me. I'd like to break free. Looking forward to it :)

Good luck!!

Roxie

I'm in (again), too.

I did a successful W30 in August of 2012. I've started a few times since, but didn't get traction. I'll get it right this time. I've signed up for the daily email and I've done the Day 0 stuff.

I need to kick the sugar habit, too. Seriously and for good...

I'm in for my second one too. Did my first in April 2013 and while I have been minimizing my grain intake, everything else has fallen to the wayside. Symptoms are getting much worse recently. Will porbably follow the autoimmune version.

Hi everyone, I am also starting today. First successful whole30 was in November, after a couple of false starts. The main January 1st start group is sooo huge. I am afraid of getting lost in the shuffle. Are you all posting there too or just on this thread?

I am in again also.   I have been following the paleo lifestyle somewhat but work stress and travel has also thrown me under the bus (and run over me a few times). I really need this structure to get back on track and start feeling human again.

This is my 2nd Whole30 as well.  I completed my first in June 2014, gradually fell of the good eating habits, had a false start in September and then completely went nuts during the holidays.  (The last 4 months of the year are the most stressful a my work...).  Happy New Year and Good luck to all!

Hello everyone,

Glad to know there are so many people who are going the second time.  

Dem - I had realized there was another thread after and posted there with the intention of deleting this (couldn't figure out how).  However, I am happy to keep going here.  I suspect I will not participate in the other thread as it is too many people.  

Off to a decent start today.  I did drink coffee (but not much) before I had breakfast.  Also ate 1.5 hours after waking up.  I am going to take a yoga class at noon, though, and have been checking out recipes to make all day.  I've discovered a love of Pinterest.

As for work stress, I've determined this is the biggest reason that I get off track.  One main reason why I want/need to do this is my stress coping mechanisms of easy (and bad) foods and wine really just makes it worse.  It is so easy to stop those things that actually help (exercise, good food, sleep).

Therefore, my goal is that 2015 is the year I finally learn how to put my own health and self-care first.  In addition to the Whole 30, I am to seek activities that nourish my soul.  It is too easy to give up all aspects of fulfillment outside of work.  I have some goals I am working on.  The first is that I am going to take a dance class.  Therefore, if I have not taken one by this time next week, yell at me :)

Good morning! Nice to see more people in the same boat with me. Dem, I'm only posting here. I am new to forums in general. The other seemed large and a bit overwhelming to me.

The most difficult thing for me to do in my last whole 30 was to eat within the hour of waking. Food (unless it's heavy in carbs) just doesn't sound good in the morning. I stumble to coffee and eat a late lunch. Any ideas for making breakfast as easy as pouring a cup of coffee and snuggling up with a book?

Ready for our successful first day,

Rox

Hi there!

I did my first whole30 a year ago. It was awesome, I lost 11 pounds and had a fairly good year. Things started going downhill a couple months ago and I need to get myself motivated to start taking care of myself! I'm also training for a half marathon inApril and 10 pounds does wonders for how I feel when I'm running! Any other runners? Also, anyone using a spiralizer that has advice on which one is best?

Day one is going great! I'm about to go to the movies to see Wild....I don't think I've ever gone to a move without eating junk!!! My resolve is high so I will be fine!

Happy New Year!!

kate

Rox - I wouldn't say it is as easy as snuggling with a good book, but I really am a fan of fried eggs with some wilted greens in the morning (especially bok choy).  It is pretty easy, all things considered.  Just make sure to put a little acid with the greens, lemon juice or vinegar.  Another thing I've enjoyed is this breakfast casserole from Mark's Daily Apple.  I also made meatballs ahead of time and would eat with whatever leftover vegetable I could find.  If the issue is having to put any effort, then embrace the Meal 1, 2, 3  instead and eat whatever sort of leftover you have.

Crookette - I occasionally toy with running but am not devoted.  The idea of running straight for a long time does not appeal to me.  However, I enjoy quick bursts followed by walking.  I especially like forest frollicking, which involves running down every hill I can find in the woods.   I don't have a spiralizer brand recommendation but I do have method.  Clothes Makes the Girl recommends sweating the noodles and then patting dry.  I go even further and squeeze handfuls of the noodles as much as I can before patting dry.   They really do last a week.  Rox, there is another easier breakfast.  Stir fry some raw noodles and scramble and egg with them.  Put whatever sort of sauce you want on them.

Hi, happy new year! This was the first thread I saw for a 1/1/15 start, so I jumped in here.

Started my 3rd W30 today too. Dropped about 10 lbs both other times (Jan 2014 and July 2014), yeah, that 10 lbs. found me again.

@Reece, I could have written what you said about work stress driving me toward the quick food and wine! And re: keeping track, last time around I used an app called TwoGrand to record my meals--you take a picture of what you eat, & hashtag it, it's very cool, lots of W30ers and Paleo folks there.

@crookette I used to jog, still try to now & then, but the older I get, the less my tummy can handle it. I want to feel good enough to jog again (I'd say "run," but I jog slower than many walkers, lol).

Just want to live life 100% and I'm too puffy and sluggish to do that now. Good luck to us all!

Hey Everybody! 

Happy New Year! My husband and I did our first Whole30 in November and it was awesome.  SO glad to back on track beginning today. 

That other group is going to be WAY too big, so I am happy to have this smaller, more manageable thread.  We will be able to follow along with each other much better here.

Woke up tired but made scrambled eggs with basil and tomatoes.  I was REALLy glad I had some compliant mashed potatoes and gravy in the fridge from a couple nights ago because I was craving comfort food at lunch due to being sleep deprived after New Years Eve!

Lets do this!

Julie

I would like to  join this group of ya'll don't mind? I did post on the other thread, but it is so big already! I have 23 pages to read just to catch up! lol

I've been doing the Primal Blueprint and having pretty good success. I lose slow, but I do lose. I read about the whole30 and wanted to try it to see if it would jump start my weight loss again. 

Today is day 1 for me. Black coffee is not my fav! I prefer heavy cream, which is an improvement from cream/sugar or french vanilla creamer, lol.

Hoping everyone has a great day and here's to the first day of our new life! :)

Midway through Day 1 and so far, so good. I've been doing a lot of cooking/prepping today.

Last Whole30, I spent 2 weeks getting ready and it paid off. This time, I didn't have to clear so much out of the kitchen; we've been mostly Paleo at home.

My challenge is at work...

Okay, really can't keep up with all the posts but giving it a try.

Game plan for today (the first) changed a little because "the best laid plans ..." well you know.

Good news for the day:

Had a very yummy -compliant breakfast- 3 asparagus spears, two poached eggs, about 3 mushrooms with a little butter. It was so good and satisfying- the yolks were like a creamy gravy on my veggies.

Next because life happened I ended up leaving the house before lunch and getting my shopping done. By 2:00 I was starting to get hungry (that's 4 hours after breakfast- I slept in :)  . So not quite ready with my whole30 thinking cap - I ate an apple on the way home. As I was crunching my very juicy delicious apple I realized the whole 30 rule- no snacking & no fruit by itself. Oops.

But, when I got home I quickly fixed the last of some marinating beef (in white wine vinegar) I had in the frig. and threw in some mushrooms, peppers and onions. Then served in on a bed of lettuce with some avocado, a few cherry tomatoes and a couple pea pods chopped up. No dressing because the juices from the meat made an excellent topping. After I was still hungry (yes, I would have had some of the fish from Mellisa and Dallas) so I had a banana and -- here I may spark a debate- I added a tsp of cocoa and a pinch of almonds. Again , it was after that I thought... hmmm... is that alright. So I looked it up  and found the post about the "great debate of cocoa" .

My DD is sick with a nasty cold/flu ( fever, pale, headache etc.) so I put a pot of chicken soup on (free range) with onions, celery,carrots and seasoned it with fresh thyme, parsley and bay leaf. I usually use a powder chicken seasoning thing but since that is not whole30 compliant - I hope the flavor lives up to what the family expects. If not I'll scoop some out for myself and add the powder stuff.  I think I need to add some kind of healthy fat item to this meal, Hmmm.... need to think about that one.

Well, it's my first day so I don't think I did so bad. Just going to make some mental notes and call it a good day.

Tomorrow will be even better. ;)

Good first day - worked out and making some whole30 chili:)   I can so relate to many of the posts about work, stress and losing track of taking care of self.  Hoping these 30 days will hit the reset button and get me back on track. 

Day 1 for me and so far so good! But with a hubby and 4 kids, I know it may be a challenge.

I'm up for it. Breakfast was a boiled egg with avocado. Lunch was turkey burger seasoned with salt and pepper with grilled onions and fresh sliced tomato. Dinner - grilled pork chop and green beans with a little sweet potato. Water water water! So hard to say goodbye to my friend wine ...let's do this!

I started today too. I did one back in October 2013 - before white potatoes were allowed :)  I felt great and lost weight. I got pregnant in the midst of it and things started to slide with morning sickness, pregnancy, new baby etc. I have tried to do another one; I've probably started back up three or four times this past fall :(  But I NEED to make this one stick so I can get back to feeling better. 

Day One is nearly done and it wasn't too bad. I did a lot of prep cooking the week before and my husband is home from work so I have help with the kiddos (because, boy, am I tired). I ate compliantly but I ate too much. I know from before that my body will adjust. 

Good luck everyone :)

Hello,

My second Whole 30, first was January 2013 but since then had a broken leg, depression, work stress and just fell off the wagon and gained weight (lots). Did well today, but it's only day one... Going to really need help this time to keep on track. I wa furloughed from my job October 31st (found out the week prior funding was cut) and am now concentrating on finding work AND taking care of myself....

Really need the encouragement and support. I'm willing to support and encourage all of your as well. Together we can change our lives for the better!

Hi everyone,

This is my second official Whole 30. I had an amazing experience with my first W30 last February-May. I lost the baby weight, slept peacefully, slayed the sugar dragon, lost a bunch of aches and pains, and just felt really happy. Then we moved from the Midwest to Florida for my husband's job, and it was a spectacular mess. We ended up moving back to the Midwest after only a few months with two kiddos and a dog in tow and are now finally getting settled. Needless to say that during our cross country moves, we were not Paleo and we are both feeling the negative effects.

I'm really looking forward to getting my glow back. Not to mention my sleep, and I want back in my skinny jeans! Best wishes everyone,

Michelle

Archived