January 1st Start - Second Whole 30

reece1932

Water water water! So hard to say goodbye to my friend wine ...let's do this!

I mourn the loss of my dear friend wine, with you, Staceyshelley!  However, I will welcome the solid sleep that comes in its absence!  :)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else doing a big week cook up? I'm heading to the butcher shop 30 miles away for some good fresh whole 30 meats, and then I think I'll be developing a meal plan based on what I find. Hi ho hi ho, it's off to the butcher I go!

The chicken finger recipe from www.generationyfoodie.com

@dem- would you share your ribs recipe?

I am going to check out that chicken recipe. Thanks for sharing.

For ribs: We butcher our own beef so we cut our ribs really thick. I cook enough to fill up the roasting pan (a tray with slits in it with a pan underneath to catch the fat drippings), maybe 10 or 12 pounds with bones. Season as desired. Hubby likes salt and pepper, but today I mixed up thyme, garlic powder, paprika, little bit of chili powder, and a pinch of cumin for my piece. Fill pan with water. Put ribs on tray with bones towards the bottom. You want the fat to be able to drip down the meat to keep it moist. Cover with foil. Put in 225 oven for 12 hours. Uncover for last half hour or so. If I am home I add more water once or twice during cooking.

Who's up for a Whole 30 January 4th start?   Hopefully only me.

I broke it yesterday.  I am not beating myself up too much about it, though, as the reality is that tomorrow makes much sense.  I went out with a good friend I hadn't seen in a while.  I know that ultimately this should not be a good excuse and that being able to go out and stick to this plan is one of my major goals.  However, it was a last hurrah in the holiday season. 

I say 1/4 now instead of today simply because I've been drinking my coffee before eating.  Might as well start perfectly.  I am off to two dances classes in an hour, though, so I am making progress on other goals.

Mimahirn - I do batch cooking every Saturday (while hubby can watch the kids and hold the baby). I"m making some beef ribs and some pot roast right now. I have enough veggies cooked up already. What are you making?

Meal plan for today M1: had sweet potato and two turkey sausage patties, M2: will be beef stew over mashed cauliflower M3: will be beef ribs with salad and cabbage or broccoli. 

Hope everyone's Day three is going well. We have a pool party today, that we're hosting. I always want to go out to eat after such social events but I've warned my husband to keep us strong :)

Karyn

I too started my whole 30 on the first. This is my second W30. Not huge changes for me as I eat clean all the time but W30 helps me tune up the finer details like getting rid of nuts and going wine free for 30 days. Yep I love having a glass of wine with dinner and this is a great way to eliminate thT for a period of time. Nuts give me a tummy ache so we need to get a divorce. Lol! Anyway looking forward to sharing this with you!

Hey everyone,

Happy Day 3! I'm with you on this, but it's my first time posting to this thread. This will be my 3rd W30 (1 - Sept 2012, 2 - Jan 2014). I've been following a Paleo/primal diet template pretty well ever since my first W30, but this past year I traveled internationally about 60% so I *really* fell off the wagon. Since I had already fallen off, I just let myself indulge entirely over the holidays -- from Thanksgiving through to New Years, it was too much eating out, too much booze, and too many of mom's homemade treats! 

So this is my reset. I've told myself I want to do a W30 every January for to remind my body of its natural stasis and to undo the havoc I may have wreaked on it during the year. Meals aren't generally a problem for me, but red wine and dark chocolate are my vices. Getting through the evenings after my long work days is tough, but I find when I have a meal to concentrate on preparing, it is a good distraction. Reacquainting myself with (decaffeinated) tea after the meal instead of the dark chocolate I usually go to.

I have so much respect for all of you doing this with SO's & KIDS who aren't joining the journey with you -- you are so strong! It's tough enough doing this on my own in my little apartment in the depths of Minnesota winter! 

Is anyone else doing a big week cook up?"]

I used week 1 from theclothesmakethegirl website. I didn't want to have to think and she provides shopping lists, prep organization and instruction for a whole week's worth of food. I didn't do it all last night as I got a late start, but I did get to a large batch of chocolate chili (it's very good. I spice mine up with dried chipotle powder), and some roasted spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes. I'll finish the rest of the prep and cooking after work.

This morning I was running late... Again. I'm sensing a theme here. Fortunately, I was set up for success and was able to run to the fridge for a slice of quiche for breakfast and some chili and squash for lunch. I'm all set til dinner.

I'll be making Dem's ribs this week too!

Have a great day you guys! I really enjoy following along with all the posts :-)

Hi all! I hope I can join you. I, too, am on my second whole 30 - first one was June of 2014. I did well, but like others, didn't follow thru with the introduction phase. And then life happened and the holidays and my good eating went berserk. So I need to get back on track....and back in my skinny jeans! I kept a journal the last time and it was so helpful, but I just can't seem to locate it now. My biggest difficulties is not having enough variety, so I'm really working hard on that this time. I did a big cook up on New Year's Day - cooked chicken, a pork roast, a couple of minute steaks I found in the freezer, and a browned a couple pounds of ground beef. Made a batch of well-fed chocolate chili. Then I cooked veggies...baked a couple of sweet potatoes, steam sauted some cabbage, carrots, broccoli. Cut up peppers, roasted some broccoli, butternut squash and beets. So my fridge is stocked. I fixed a few easy to grab breakfasts and lunches and put them in the freezer. (Found a good recipie for butternut squash/sausage 'stuffing' that I modified). Makes a great breakfast with a couple of fried eggs on top and freezes pretty good. I also package up the meat in 5-6 oz portions and freeze that as well as individual size portions of chili (love that over a baked sweet potato with some guacamole or chopped avocado on top!)

Yesterday meals were butternut squash/sausage bake with 2 fried eggs and coffee, lunch was cubed minute steak with roasted broccoli and mashed, roasted butternut squash with ghee, and half an apple, dinner was pulled pork, beets and a small sweet potato with ghee and the other half of apple. I drank a lot of water and had several cups of mint herbal tea last night. I was proud of myself that after a very stressful day if work I did NOT pour myself a glass of wine ( bottle sitting open on the counter of my favorite red). But made myself a cup of tea! I'm focused and 'in the zone'.

Someone asked about a spiralizer....I have the paderno model and love it! There is a site called inspiralized that has some great recipes....one of my favorites is sweet potato fajitas...all compliant! Love, love some spiralizer sweet potato curly fries! Makes a meal festive!

Last time I ate way too much almond butter (would have a banana with almond butter and coconut with breakfast every day and an apple with it at lunch). I realized I went thru 2 big jars in a month that I kind of over-did it....so I'm trying to limit my fruit this time and eat more veggies. .... When the template says fill your plate, I do!

Who's up for a Whole 30 January 4th start?   Hopefully only me.

I broke it yesterday.  I am not beating myself up too much about it, though, as the reality is that tomorrow makes much sense.  I went out with a good friend I hadn't seen in a while.  I know that ultimately this should not be a good excuse and that being able to go out and stick to this plan is one of my major goals.  However, it was a last hurrah in the holiday season. 

I say 1/4 now instead of today simply because I've been drinking my coffee before eating.  Might as well start perfectly.  I am off to two dances classes in an hour, though, so I am making progress on other goals.

Reece - don't beat yourself up!  Starting the 4th is so much better than just throwing in the towel.  

Huge thanks to Dem who took the time to introduce me to this group.  I did my first Whole 30 in November and I am still flabbergasted that I actually did it and it seems to have made good on the promise to "change your life."

Quick background:  I started with 30 pounds to lose and a lifetime of out of control eating.  Plus, I have never deigned to follow any rules (the old "rules don't apply to me" mentality) and I was/am(?) so addicted to sugars and carbs that I couldn't imagine life without them.  

For that first whole 30, I did follow the rules and I followed the suggested techniques as well (being an active part of a forum, trying new recipes, etc.)  Every morning I got up before the rest of my family and enjoyed a quiet cappuccino (made with coconut milk) while reading the forums and really reading and digesting my daily email. 

In the end I had lost 13 pounds and really seem to have changed my food preferences.  I knew going in that I could not "re-introduce" sugar since goodies have always been a trigger for out of control bingeing.  I did re-introduce a bit of dairy, some bread and fake sweetener while away on vacation.  I didn't notice any negative effects but I did notice that none of these foods were particularly delicious or satisfying.  In fact, all of the food tasted really salty and I was kind of grossed out by what was served (we were on a cruise ship.)

I am making it seem like it was easy (it wasn't) but the fact that I actually did it makes me know that I can make changes.  I am hoping this second attempt helps me stay focused on improving my health.

I will add that I did not journal or write down goals (seemed a waste of time since I had never stuck with anything past the first few days) so I can't really be objective about the changes I may have experienced.  What I can share is how freeing it is to be free of the guilt and shame that was an ever-present shadow in my life.  I can't say I had tiger blood or that my skin is glowing but I am able to feel comfortable about who I am because I am not the person who eats bags of candy, followed by pizza, followed by wine, followed by pie for breakfast.  

Three days down and 27 to go. So far so good.

Today at work was the first Saturday in a long time that I did not allow myself to be ambushed by sweets.

I thought about it, though.

I'm stronger than any cinnamon roll...

Is it Day 3 that brings the sleepy? All I know is that I went to bed around 10:30 last night, and woke up twelve hours later, DRAGGING myself out of bed. I'm getting the feeling that this W30 is going to be a bit rougher than the last time. Yay? There were times in August when I wondered what the point was, since I didn't feel any different (that came at the end) so maybe if I actually have sid effects this time, I'll feel more like I'm doing something.

One thing that's nice this go-round is my paralegal got inspired by my August trek, and has converted her family dinners to almost 100% Paleo. She's been great to talk to about food and recipes, and "what the heck do I do with all this ground beef that I dumped cabbage into for reasons unknown?" type questions. (her solution: season it and eat it as tacos with lettuce instead of shells. Brilliant.) 

So, today's breakfast was 1/2 avocado, 3 scrambled eggs w/spinach, and 1/2 a banana with coconut chips and cashews. Lunch (around 4pm, sigh) was OYSTERS YES. I love months with an R, steamed oysters are the best thing about living in a coastal city. Dinner was a fantastic burger that a friend made, stuffed with jalapenos and bacon. (no bun!)

Tomorrow's going to be a teensy bit challenging, as I have brunch with friends at a local pub. But I can make it work. I *will* make it work. I just need to check out the menu before I leave. 

Rock on, people. 

ETA: I just looked at the menu. Yikes. This will be difficult.  http://madraruapub.com/MRMenuMarch13NC.pdf

Rock on, people. 

ETA: I just looked at the menu. Yikes. This will be difficult.  http://madraruapub.com/MRMenuMarch13NC.pdf

I checked out the menu...yum!! If it were me, I'd eat a breakfast heavy on protein and fat so maybe I'd be less tempted at lunch by the choices and then once I arrived I'd order a club soda, a hunk of meat with nothing on it, a big salad to slap it on and call it good :-) (if I could sneak in my own little stash of balsamic vinegar and oil, I probably would do that too!) Good luck!!

We went to the movies today. I snuck in a kombucha for my "soda" and some cashews and a few hunks of sweet potato for my "popcorn". A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. It worked and I felt fine :-) I'm a little tired but so relieved to be eating in the safe and satisfied zone. Sugar/refined carbs are the bottomless pit for me-never enough to satisfy and no willpower to stop trying! Eliminating them from the equation makes my need for willpower a non-issue. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'm sure I'll hit a wall eventually... Wishing us success in our venture!

I'm a little tired but so relieved to be eating in the safe and satisfied zone. Sugar/refined carbs are the bottomless pit for me-never enough to satisfy and no willpower to stop trying! Eliminating them from the equation makes my need for willpower a non-issue. !

Yes, such a relief!

Had some cravings today but they were more like an annoying fly that buzzes by rather than a huge lion roaring at my face. I swatted them away and moved on.

M1: 3 fried eggs, 3 pieces bacon, spinach, fried parsnips, coffee with coconut milk

M2: lunch wasn't ready yet but I was so shaky and hungry and had to get out the door quick, so I ate 2 hard boiled egg yolks, 1 whole hb egg, handful of almond, 4 dried apricots,another coffee with coconut milk

M3: my lunch was Brazilian fish stew, which never keeps me full long enough for some reason, so at 4 o' clock I had

M4: part of a chicken breast with cauliflower rice, salsa, avocado

M5: not very hungry but I ate some beef ribs and baked sweet potato with ghee and salsa, and a grapefruit

Wow that was a lot more food than I realized!

Day 4 here I come!

Reece - don't beat yourself up!  Starting the 4th is so much better than just throwing in the towel.  

Huge thanks to Dem who took the time to introduce me to this group.  I did my first Whole 30 in November and I am still flabbergasted that I actually did it and it seems to have made good on the promise to "change your life."

Quick background:  I started with 30 pounds to lose and a lifetime of out of control eating.  Plus, I have never deigned to follow any rules (the old "rules don't apply to me" mentality) and I was/am(?) so addicted to sugars and carbs that I couldn't imagine life without them.  

For that first whole 30, I did follow the rules and I followed the suggested techniques as well (being an active part of a forum, trying new recipes, etc.)  Every morning I got up before the rest of my family and enjoyed a quiet cappuccino (made with coconut milk) while reading the forums and really reading and digesting my daily email. 

In the end I had lost 13 pounds and really seem to have changed my food preferences.  I knew going in that I could not "re-introduce" sugar since goodies have always been a trigger for out of control bingeing.  I did re-introduce a bit of dairy, some bread and fake sweetener while away on vacation.  I didn't notice any negative effects but I did notice that none of these foods were particularly delicious or satisfying.  In fact, all of the food tasted really salty and I was kind of grossed out by what was served (we were on a cruise ship.)

I am making it seem like it was easy (it wasn't) but the fact that I actually did it makes me know that I can make changes.  I am hoping this second attempt helps me stay focused on improving my health.

I will add that I did not journal or write down goals (seemed a waste of time since I had never stuck with anything past the first few days) so I can't really be objective about the changes I may have experienced.  What I can share is how freeing it is to be free of the guilt and shame that was an ever-present shadow in my life.  I can't say I had tiger blood or that my skin is glowing but I am able to feel comfortable about who I am because I am not the person who eats bags of candy, followed by pizza, followed by wine, followed by pie for breakfast.

I am so moved by this post Heather! I love the last sentence, it really depicts how I can feel when I can't put down the cereal/bread/cookies/etc ad nauseum. Thanks for this!

I love this forum already! I'm grateful to all of your replies!

I did pretty well yesterday, but I question the cafe au lait I had yesterday, it did not taste like coconut milk, rather I think it was cream. I usually make coffee at home, but I was traveling yesterday. I am just going to keep going, and will extend my whole 30-45-60, whatever I need to do as things progress.

Otherwise, I ate:

1: eggs, banana, coconut butter, cafe au lait

2: Lara bar while traveling

3: venison steak with cut up raw veggies and homemade mayo Italian dip

4: bratwurst, zucchini soup, half a sweet potato, Apple

I also had a handful of nuts before bed. I don't think I was really hungry, I am just "snacky"' and trying to get through the day. My kids had a big box of doughnuts on the counter that I am so grateful to have passed up, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted!

I plan on doing a bunch of cooking today, cauliflower rice, home made breakfast sausage, shepherds pie, cinnamon stew, dip for veggies, spicy tuna cakes. My hubby always helps, and I don't mind. I'm also making cookies today, as I need to bring cookies to Bible Study tonight, but I'm determined to not try any. I'm also going to bring spiced nuts so that I have a treat to snack on as well.

Have a good day all!

-Michelle

This is my second Whole30!  I had a life changing experience with the Whole30 last October and I never really added stuff back in after (or so I thought).  I work at a bakery/restaurant and so I would take a bite of something here and there.  My wake up call was when I stress-ate a lemon tart. (an entire lemon tart). 

I'm really excited to be doing the Whole 30 again.  But, I gotta say that my conceited little self was surprised to be going through the first day symptoms again.

I'm thankful for this support system and excited to do this journey again! 

Hello again,

Back on the wagon.  I've been trying to prep for the week, although I have a lot more to do.  I found a recipe that is going to be a new staple.

Then there was this Larb Gai recipe.  It is amazing!  I could eat this over and over and over.  It is a little effort upfront.  I also left out some things.  For instance, it says to top with cilantro, mint, and basil.  I just put some cilantro on it.  I also tried a little bit without any of the other vegetables (sprouts, scallions) and it was still fantastic.  I bet roasted nuts would make it even better.  However, I have a "nut problem" and am trying to limit the amount that comes into my house.

In addition to shopping and cooking, I've spent a fair amount of time organizing my Pinterest page.  Seriously, if you haven't explored that website, it is fantastic for finding and organizing recipes.

Breakfast was 3 fried eggs and sauteed kale with Harisa spices.

On to Day 4! So far so good... I must have been eating cleaner than I thought before, because I'm not experiencing any of the crazy effects (crankiness, sleepiness, headache, etc). I did have to fight off a serious chocolate demon last night after a very serious conversation with my ex-boyfriend... Seriously, came so close to giving in and just joining everyone who's starting on Jan. 5. Uh, emotional eating, anyone? I had a cup of Natural Calm (magnesium anti-stress drink), and it went away.

This morning, though, I'm not feeling hungry *at all*. I had to force down 2 fried eggs and 1/4 avocado, and I'm feeling sick to my stomach from just that. I know a lot of people in the Paleo community are proponents of intermittent fasting... Should I listen to my body here if it doesn't want to eat, or for W30, should I be forcing food down, even if it makes me feel sick?

I started Monday the 29th... I originally planned on starting Jan 1st, but it's much easier to start something on a Monday! What's everyone cooking for next week? I wasnt prepared enough for last week. Was hungry almost all the time. Or should I say HANGRY. (:

This weekend I made 2 crock pots of bone broth, cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot. Today I'm going to make a Roast, recipe from Nomnompaleo's 30 days of whole30 post. I also made clarified butter for the first time yesterday, excited to experiment with that. I also want to rice some cauliflower, make garlic mashed cauliflower, sweet potato hash, and maybe some meatballs or meatloaf muffins for quick on-the-go times. Oh! And hard boiled eggs. The day is half over, better get after it!

So excited to have found this forum! Everyone's posts are so encouraging :)

Who can't wait for the reintroduction phase? That's what I'm most excited for!

Hi everybody! Just catching up and checking in. Day 4 has been relatively uneventful. Before lunch, my husband accidentally backed into a car and after we exchanged info and drove away, my first thought was, "what can I eat to make this uncomfortable feeling go away". Chocolate came to mind, but I played it out in my head and didn't actually do the trick. The 5 minute drive was all it took for the urge to pass. I came home, pulled half a roasted spaghetti squash out of the fridge, filled it with chili, topped it with cilantro and onions, ate til I was full and felt satisfied. I really like that feeling! It's almost time for dinner. I'm a little tired and a little bored but there's chicken made and zucchini soup too so at least effort will be minimal. The first 4 days were way harder my first time around. I do notice that I have a difficult time sleeping. I feel like I have too much energy at night. That happened last time too and took a week or two to level off. Anybody else experience that? Thanks for sharing your posts. I benefit from your stories (and recipes!)

Ouch sorry about the car accident Rox, but good for you not letting chocolate in!

I have been extremely hungry all day! and each of my meals have been compliant and big ones.. not sure what's going on...

Last W30 I allowed too many Lara Bars and dates into my life.... I think this time will be different as I have learned no to snack and If I have too I eat a M4 or even M5! that keeps me more satisfied and on track.

Friday night I baked some sweet potatoes, made  the rice pilaf from well fed, a cauliflower salad (half cauliflower, hard boiled eggs, peppers and homemade mayo), some ground beef, cut up some arugula, slow cooked some golden beets, baked a pumpkin, boiled and mashed some yuca, baked a plantain, made some egg prociutto muffins from nom nom paleo, and made a compliant baba ganoush.  Yeah.. it took me about 4 hours... but I have breakfast, lunch and dinner for the whole week (or at least 4 days if I keep being so hungry)   hey.. golden beats with homemade mayo are amazing!!!!

congrats to all of those that completed days 4!  

Woo hoo everybody! It seems like everyone is doing really well!

Today I was beyond thirsty, but not that hungry. Also, incredibly sleepy, even though my hubby got up with our baby last night. I can't wait for the well rested feeling to set in.

1: 1/2 sweet potato, eggs, 2 pieces bacon

2: Lara bar, coffee with coconut milk

3: bratwurst, sauerkraut, (I'm German-American, can you tell!?!?), raspberries, 1/2 sweet potato

4: Shepherds pie from Well Fed, apple

I feel like snacking often, but I am not really hungry. I think I'll need to explore that a bit. I also think I may need to break up with Lara bars, since I tend to have one most mornings... They are just so quick and easy.

I did a lot of cooking today, so I feel prepped for the work week. I will miss having a glass of wine at night though!

Have a good evening!

Archived