Already eat healthy

JosieJake

Seriously. I already eat healthy. The worst prepackaged thing I eat is corn tortillas and tortilla chips and salsa, but only those that contain no extra stuff. I recently (read about 2-3 months ago) went organic. I was eating a lot of veggies and meat...pretty much the Whole30 plan. Then when I went organic, some of the stuff I was eating was really expensive. So I started eating more legumes, and quinoa. Not much rice, maybe once a month. They were supposed to be healthy, right?  I gained 10 pounds in a week, then another 5 over Thanksgiving. Jeez. I didn't know what it was that did it. So the other day I came across this website. I bought their book. I'm not sure I'll do the whole 30 days. But I started today to see if putting my legumes and quinoa away makes a difference.

I have health issues: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia. These have symptoms like IBS. I also have joint pain, arthritis, and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. When I cut back on grains (before going organic) I don't really think any of that got better, only that I had better energy days. I'm also lactose and gluten intolerant. My left knee has polyps, my right is bone-on-bone.

So I put the beans, rice, and quinoa away. And the lactose-free milk. And the greek yogurt.  And cheese. Those I will miss. Though I don't think those are my problem...maybe the milk. I was drinking almond milk, but like milk milk better. Mmm. So we will see how things go. I have high hopes as I am not doing away with anything that was super bad like refined sugars. And even the grains I won't miss as I started those because the organic veggies were expensive. I will miss home made tacos and breakfast burrito (corn tortilla filled with ham, egg and a bit of shredded cheese).

If you have arthritis and other chronic health issues, I highly recommend completing the full thirty days :)

Cutting back on grains doesn't give the same effect as cutting them out altogether. I always thought I tolerated grains very well, but actually I'm gluten intolerant and have trouble with most grains (rice is the least reactive but I'm healthier when I don't eat it). 

There are plenty of great Whole30 mexican recipes and they are awesome with guacamole.

praxisproject,

I think I will do the whole 30. Something interesting, and not in a good way, is happening. I started Saturday and yesterday and today I feel like crap. Fatigue very similar to when I eat gluten or  lactose. Today is marginally better. My Fibromyalgia is raging. Sleeping is almost non-existant as I have a lot of pain on hip pressure-points. Even sleeping on my stomach and back hurt. I was not expecting any of this. I am assuming it is because I stopped the Truvia. That is the only thing that I consume consistantly, at least once a day. Everything else--beans, rice, quinoa-- I ate maybe once or twice a week. Though thinking on it, since school ended (I am a full time student between terms) I have been drinking more wine and martinis. I know alcohol affects some of my issues, but as I don't drink very often, I know it doesn't affect me to this degree.

Since I already know I can't eat regular pasta, I was eating gluten-free pasta or spaghetti squash. I have taken to making almond milk that leaves almond meal. Can I experiment with almond pasta or is that one of those no-nos. Need to find something to do with that almond meal.

As for quacamole, not a big fan. I usually just slice up the avocado and put it in my taco. Lately, I just cut it in half, take out the pit, and scoop the meat out with a spoon. Yum.

Thanks

~jj

• Administrators

Hey Josiejake,

I think that you may be experiencing the "carb flu".  Sounds like while you ate lots of veggies previously, you were probably also getting a lot more carbohydrates than you were banking on with the rice, quinoa, beans/legumes, gluten free pasta, rice, yogurt.

You can mitigate that a bit by increasing your starchy veggies such as sweet potato, rutabaga, winter squash, beets, carrots etc.  You are probably also coming off sugar a bit (the milk, yogurt, wine) and in my experience that can cause some increased inflammation.

Drink lots of water (half an ounce per pound of bodyweight is the recommendation) and try to make each meal a template one. (http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf)

ladyshanny

I agree. I really think my 'carb flu' is from sugar even though I didn't think I was eating any extra. I was eating greek yogurt, but realized that the flavored stuff that was on sale had a boatload of added sugar. I have been eating starchy veggies, yams, and all kinds of squash. The most I was eating was the 'on-sale' yogurt. The milk was a couple swigs (yes I live alone :-D) when I took my digestive enzymes. Even the wine wasn't a lot. Think it was that cheap sugary yogurt. Funny how eating it for only a couple months can make you feel crappy so quickly.

Thanks.

~jj

Archived