Shopping list written!

Bonneviv

I've just written out my shopping list ready for my start date on Thursday and feeling very excited/nervous/focused!

I just want some advice. I have a lot of non compliant condiments in my fridge and tibs/pulses etc in my pantry. Do you think that although it's wasteful the best thing to do is get rid of them/give them away? I hate wasting food but I can't see how these foods will fit into my life after Whole30.

Advice please! What did you all do?

• Moderators

I personally left some things in my fridge during my first Whole30, because I wasn't sure what to do with them. Afterwards, after reintroductions, there were things that stayed and things that got tossed. I tossed the last of my store bought mayo and won't buy any again unless I'm having a party where people might object to the homemade raw egg version, but I had some jam I'd bought at the farmers market that I ate some of post-Whole30 (although since I no longer buy bread, I don't feel the need to keep any now. Somehow it's not the same without buttered toast to put it on.) 

Now, if you have something in there that you personally like so much that you might find it tempting to have during your 30 days, that's something you may want to get rid of. 

• Moderators

We tossed or gave away all our fridge stuff, most of our condiments were expired (oops). We packed our pantry stuff in boxes and put in the basement. We ended up giving it all away later. I found it really helpful to ONLY have compliant food in the cabinets and fridge when I opened them up when hungry.

• Administrators

I didn't clear out everything, most of what was in there wasn't tempting though (old salad dressing and vegetable oils). My hubby was a little upset that I'd contemplated chucking out "perfectly good" food. As time went on and he got used to the new way, I started chucking things that I would never cook with again. ;)

My husband and I actually had a mini fridge in the garage that we brought inside. We use it for all of the whole30 food that we we make. The kids( all teens) don't eat it all that way;-). But it also really helps with knowing I need to head to that fridge when hungry. Our main fridge still holds the kids favorites and some of our veggies, etc. this has worked out really well. The fridge is about 3ft high. Just a thought cause I hate to waste food, too!

Hi, I know I'm a week late in responding, but here's my two cents. If you can box up the tempting stuff to have it out of sight that would be great; I had a hard time my first W30 when food for my husband and kids was everywhere. Over the past year we have all transitioned into 80-90% compliance so things are easier this W30. I did find after reintroduction was done that I could donate to a shelter all my unopened items that I no longer wanted. The open condiments/oils etc. I willingly threw away once I was a W30 convert. I hope your W30 is going well!

Archived