Day 18 - Feeling light headed, distant and weak

Hi there ..

I'm wondering if anyone can help me because I'm struggling majorly. There is not a day that has gone by during my Whole 30 that I haven't felt lethargic, light headed and dizzy typically during the hours of 10am to 5pm (work of course). I expected it the first 14 days, but things haven't gotten any better.

I wake up refreshed and ready to go, then something happens around 10am. I start feeling distant in my head. I can't focus enough to get any quality work done. I literally feel like I'm sitting at my desk and my head is across the room. I would describe it as the same feeling I had when I got a concussion snowboarding in March of this year. That's what I mean by "distant". When I had my concussion I just felt slow. Things just don't compute the way they should. Some days have been worse than others. There was one day where I felt like I was going to pass out. I just hate going about my days like I'm not really there.

I talked to my trainer about it and he told me to take in some more carbs by way of sweet potatoes. I'm currently taking in about 1.5 to 2 sweet potatoes a day and I'm not feeling any better.

Before the Whole 30 I was a heavy protein powder user more than carb loader. Is there a chance I'm not taking in enough protein? Maybe my body is still getting used to the lack of protein? Is it carbs? I'm lost and I seriously need your guidance. Is this typical?

6ft 170lb male

Example of my daily food intake

Meal 1

Black Coffee

Glass of Green Smoothie (70% kale, spinach, chard - 30% blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and coconut oil)

Slice of Egg Frittata

Meal 2

Black coffee

Large Spinach Salad

Cherry Tomatoes

EVOO and balsamic dressing

Slow cooked pulled chicken (about 2 palms worth)

Half a sweet potato

Pre WO meal

2 whole hard boiled eggs

Post WO meal (I do a fit camp high intensity workout 2 days a week and train in the gym the other 3. Total of 5 days a week)

Slow cooked pulled chicken (about 1 palms worth)

Sweet potato

Dinner

2 palms worth of protein (mahi, chicken, ground beef or turkey)

oven roasted veggies ... varies from night to night

Of course I always get some type of fat in whether it's a dressing on salad or ghee

Anyone see what could be going wrong? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me by the way.

• Moderators

Your breakfast appears light on protein when you say a slice of frittata. I think a big dose of protein at breakfast is important. I'm just a little taller and heavier than you and I usually eat 4-5 eggs and frequently an entire avocado for breakfast.

You also seem to be really heavy on poultry. I'd switch some meals to red meat. Eating 2 palms at meals 2 and 3 suggests you are getting enough protein, I'd just seek more variety. Your carb intake sounds okay too, especially if you are eating 1 or more sweet potatoes per day.

You report feeling off from 10 AM to 5 PM. So around 5 you start feeling better? That's curious. Are you drinking plenty of water?

Magnesium tends to be self-limiting. If you take too much, your bowels complain through diarrhea.

Archived