On Day 6 - Nervous about going out to eat

Tammyj30

Hello everyone,

I started the Whole 30 on Jan. 5.  I have read many books on Paleo eating over the course of the last year and while I am familiar with cooking and eating that way, I have never actually applied myself fully to the Whole 30.  I would start and then a few day later, give in to my good friends, wine and cheese.  Luckily, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so that is not an issue for me.

Fast forward to now...Last night I had a crazy dream that I was eating Doritos and when I woke up, I thought, "SH*T!  I can't press the "I did it button" today, and I was so relieved when I realized it was only a dream.  It is interesting that others have had similar experiences.

I am a bit nervous about going out to eat tonight because 1.)  I won't be drinking and everyone else will...(and I will most certainly want to) and 2.)  I guess I will have to ask what type of oil everything is cooked in?  I plan on ordering a salad with a lean protein and oil/vinegar as dressing, or a meat with a side of veggies.

I enjoyed reading some of the posts on the forum.  Keep up the good work everyone!   :D

I went out for breakfast this morning, and asked what oil the omelets were prepared in, and whether there was any dairy in the eggs.  No dairy in the eggs, thank goodness -- but they cook their omelets in soybean oil!  When I said, "oh shoot," the waiter quickly said that they could cook it in olive oil if I'd prefer.  Yes please! 

As far as canola oil, here's the word from the official W30 guide:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Check out the restaurant's menu online ahead of time, pick out a couple entrees that look compliant or that could be easily tweaked. Call the restaurant, politely explain your needs and see what they can do. Besides cooking oil, you need to beware of floured/sugared chicken, and any nasties in meat seasonings, marinades and sauces.

Some restaurants have very limited resources and don't really prepare their own food. One of my big lessons for eating out is to call beforehand, some places would like to change things, but really don't have anything compliant and everything is premade. These are the places I avoid eating now, there are plenty of other options.

If the restaurant has a fax or email, send them a Whole30 PDF, they may have many items completely compliant right on the menu :) I find steak the easiest.

Archived