Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

You know, when I was doing my first Whole30, I decided to extend it because I felt so darned good, not because I was afraid to go off on my own. It's worth thinking through what you want to get out of your life and whether the Whole30 helps or hurts in getting you to your goals. It helps me move toward my goals, so I stay with it. This time, I will probably work thoughtfully on the food reintroduction stuff, as I really want to think carefully about how my body responds to the foods I've not been having. I didn't do all that well at that part last time, so that's even more important to me than the compliance beforehand (though of course they go together).

Oh, and just for grins and fun, DD has decided that she is a vegetarian. I think that has mostly to do with food texture issues -- she got a bit of gristle in a burger and a bit of something else hard in some chicken, and now all meat is horrible. She has some disabilities and odd sensory issues. Mostly they don't affect her, but good can be a land mine. I've told her that it's fine with me if she's a vegetarian, as long as she gets enough protein. So far she's offered to eat extra cheese in her mac and cheese. :-)

ThyPeace, yes, we do have separate meals at my house...

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pico de gallo experiment seems successful. I haven't yet made guac, but I did use some of the pico to make some crazy-good deviled eggs: 4 eggs, mixed the yolks with a whole avocado, some pico, some fresh lime juice (which I'd forgotten to include when I made the pico -- I always seem to forget one ingredient), some homemade mayo, and after the NutriBullet seemed to falter I added a bit of lemon juice since I thought it was begging for liquid. Then stuffed the whites with that mixture, sprinkled some paprika, and ate half of them.

Cottagequeen, my three cats are banned from the bedroom since they wait to prowl around, knocking things off shelves and counters, as I'm just starting to doze off. So when they're hungry, they are on the other side of the door and I'm a sound sleeper...and they impatiently wait until I wake up. My dog sleeps on the other half of the king-sized bed (he knows exactly where his side ends) and he's pretty patient and will only start to grumble when he knows for sure that I'm awake. No grandkiddos yet, but it seems as though there might be one in August -- I hesitate to get super-excited because there was a miscarriage last year. But my daughter has made it to the second trimester (and, by the way, is on Day 15 of Whole30), so I'm tentatively trying to figure out when to travel to California -- how soon before the due date? -- to be there to share in the experience. After all, she was in the room for her own birth as well as her sister's so it's only fair that her sister and I be there for this one.

ladyshanny, I've come to think of grains as the devil's poison (literally poison, thanks to Monsanto) and have discovered that I'm surviving without dairy. My coffee with unsweetened cocoa and now pumpkin pie spice has become mostly tolerable without sweetener, and I've never been much of a soy fan. All is right in my world! Well, except for one thing: the Girl Scouts were there at the supermarket entrance on Friday, taunting me with Thin Mints. I bought some and they are buried at the bottom of my garage freezer. Those things last forever and when/if I'm ready for a tiny treat after my 60 days, I will allow myself two cookies every once in awhile. Probably with a glass of red wine. And I will savor the experience and reserve it for special occasions.

Thy peace, that was my feelings too,and still had one issue that was fighting to stay with me. After reading the book, and 26 days into this whole30, I feel that a whole100 is definitely in for me. I really don't miss any of the things, not even Anne2719's mention of Thin Mints. They were my fave...

Anne2719, the eggs sound awesome!

The cats don't usually bother me at night. Could have been having the kiddos here. 0630 wake up from one when he jumped on the piano keys. DGD left the lid up on it.

As far as when to be there for your daughter, it depends. First time babies generally go over a few days if not induced. Dates can be off by a week or two, If it were me I'd shoot for a week or two before her due date. You'll know more as the day draws near. In my job, I attend deliveries as a Respiratory Therapist, so every one is different, although, the majority of the ones here are inductions, so a date is planned to start the process around 39 weeks. I was at my DGS delivery, but not DGD's. My only 2 as I just had one and DS &DDIL are done now.

Like my morning coffee with coconut milk. Curious how on my first whole30 I ended up quitting coffee altogether. It just happened without intention. So far this time around, a cup in the morning has been norm, and then I am done.

Kiddos are up, time to make breakfast and enjoy them before they go home.

It's after midnight, so I've officially started Day 30. Knowing that I'm continuing on, I don't feel any fears. I just plan to weigh myself on Day 31 and then I'll keep on keeping on. I've started to think of this less as a diet and more as a way of living in a much healthier way. I've been hurting less today, and that feels like a victory. Some days I hurt a lot and some days, like today, not as much. Days like today are happening a little more often lately. So even if I haven't shed many pounds, I feel as though I'm winning.

Day 28. Still pedaling along. Ladyshanny, you are exactly right, I am in complete control and I'm worthy of good food choices. This may be the first time in my life that I've believed that because I've proven it during the last 28 days.

Anne, I'm impressed by how you've grown over the last month! You are an inspiration!

ThyPeace, your posts always make me think. Now I am thinking about slow food reintroduction. I want to be mindful of how my body responds so I can avoid falling into my old eating habits.

I'm also plotting against my family. Over the last month I've been slowly introducing clean eating to my family. I'm on a mission to get them there.

Day 24 for me.  It's been a really easy few days, what with the long weekend and all. Now it's a snow day, so I'm one of about a half dozen staff in our offices.  (I'm an emergency person...)  It's nice to have a quiet day at work.  I'm getting less done than perhaps I should, but these emergency days always involve a lot of running around, so I don't worry too much about the regular paperwork. It'll get me with a vengeance tomorrow when everyone's back, I'm sure.

Leeann, I'm glad to make you think!  I hope I can occasionally make you laugh, too.  

CottageQueen, go with what makes YOU feel best!  Don't be afraid to try things out once you finish your WholeWhatever.  But don't be afraid to NOT try things out either.  I think paying attention to how you feel, and then using that to inform your choices, is the best part about this whole program.

Last night and today I did a good bit more walking than usual because I parked my car in a garage that's about a mile from my house so that I could get out this morning. That plus some shoveling makes me tired and hungry.  I am having pistachios at the moment because my lunch left me still hungry.  I still wish I were in weekend mode!  Enough sleep plus good food plus very little stress makes me a very healthy person.  

More and more I think that stress and handling our overall emotional/hormonal states are really important to healthy living.  I have seen it with both me and DH in the last few years.  Stress, eating, weight, and health are all really closely connected.  I suppose that doesn't surprise any of us!  But what's hard is figuring out which string to pull on first.  More and more, I think reducing stress is the thing to work on first.  I know I was completely unable to work on healthy weight and eating habits while I was stressed so badly that I Could. Not. Focus. On. More.  I see DH having similar issues now that he is in a much more stressful part of his life (job and location change).

I suspect that everyone who is still here is fairly far along in figuring out how to manage stress.  Otherwise there would be too many compliance departures and the Whole30 would become another source of stress and guilt and inadequacy, rather than a source of health and strength.  In many ways, I almost think that should be (along with smoking) one of those "do this before you do the Whole30" things.  

The hard part is that reducing stress is kind of like reducing debt.  Sure, you can get rid of the cell phone and cable and cut up your credit cards.  But if the the problem is that your house cost too much and you can't afford the mortgage, it just isn't going to get at the root cause of the issue.  Similarly, if you are focusing on Whole30 and eating right while your job and your kids and your spouse and your commute and your aging parents and your nagging sibling are sending you right off the deep end, well.... the Whole30 isn't the right place to work.

On the other hand, finding a better job and quitting the horrible one is a huge step and people can be really afraid of it.  So can setting down the baby, looking the spouse in the eye, and saying, "Okay.  Here's the deal.  I'm stressed into the overhead and it's not good for any of us.  So here's what I am going to do to make life easier.  Got any ideas we could work into this?"  And some days it seems impossible to do that.  I am still amazed that I managed to change jobs, get DD's medication stabilized so that life wasn't insane (steadily worsening ADHD and various other stuff, plus oncoming puberty), and with my ex's help, get DD to the point where homework wasn't taking 4-5 hours a night.  That leaves me breathing room for things like eating well and breathing and getting activity that makes my body happy.

But for me, those hard choices needed to come first, and they weren't easy, and I made mistakes and had to have re-do times along the way.  Now I can focus on the easier things that can come into days that have less sheer survival mode in them.  But I am not done yet.  I am not content that I have the best job for me.  (I loved the previous one -- it was just killing me.)  I am sure that DH is working too many hours.  And I am definitely sure that the plan to sell his house in May means way too many hours working on cleaning it out, and then cleaning out my house to fit in the things he's keeping.  But incremental steps are still great improvements.

ThyPeace, mostly just thinking out loud.

Hi, day 29 I think! Really had to fight the food battles over the weekend, many opportunities to cheat and really wanted to do so, I just kept telling myslef how close to day 30 I was and kept it clean. Took the kids to the Sponge Bob movie, besides wanting to poke my eyes out, I really wanted some popcorn but I kept my hand out of the bag.

Congrats to everyone for keeping it going through a tough holiday/Valentines weekend!!

Dave

ThyPeace, you are definitely on to something with the stress management. I have had times in my life when there was no way I could focus on eating right because of the sh@%storm I was just trying to survive. Now I am in a stable, happy place, and focusing on me seems much easier, and I don't feel guilty about spending time and energy on myself.

The flip side of that...now that I am starting to make these healthy choices for myself, I am less stressed about work (sixth-grade students pushing buttons, crazy coworkers, current politics of education), money issues, my family. For me, I think, having control of this one part of my life makes me feel strong enough to deal with the rest.

...or maybe it's the yoga class I started last month...lol

Rocking day 29 (another snow day)!

Thy peace, I am doing what feels right for me, wasn't trying to say my way is the right way for anyone else but me, I will know more on the other side if it was right for me. Apologize if it came off that way. My first whole30 experience was similar to yours, and I learned a lot about myself thru it and the months following it.

As far as the stress issue for me, it wasn't until I began whole30 that I was able to get a grip on the stress. However, the level of stress I am dealing with is not the same as anyone else, so, what worked for me may not work for others. What I think is stressful may not be for others, and vice versa. My sister gets all upset over things I think are trivial, she let's it all hang out, me, I internalize the things that stress me and try to pretend they don't exist or don't matter. Then, stress/emotion eat. I like how they explained the smoking issue in the no alcohol section of ISWF. I think we could sub stress for tobacco in that section.

Anywho... Day 28 for me. I have been eating some white potatoes this whole30. Think I will be cutting them out days 31-60. I feel much better, but not the level of my first go round. The only thing different, I think, is white potatoes. So, out they go for a while.

Keep calm and Whole30 0n Amigo's!

CottageQueen, I think we are in total agreement.  I worried for a minute that you thought I was judging your choices, which is why I said to do what works for you.  Anyway, you make a good point about it being a cycle and people start reducing it different ways.  Any way that works and is healthy for that individual has my vote!

Food's been good yesterday and today.  I snacked a lot yesterday afternoon, so wasn't that hungry at dinner time.  So I just ate less.  That, right there, is something completely different from my entire previous life.  I noticed it over the holidays, too.  When we had an enormous meal the night before, I just wasn't hungry the next morning -- and chose not to eat.  I ate when I finally got hungry about 15 hours after the big meal.  And you know, it worked just fine.  My body has never been aware of that stuff before.  I find it completely fascinating that it now is.

ThyPeace, especially after the roast beast.  That was One. Huge. Meal.

Hi guys!  I am still here.... doing a "Whole March" if anyone is interested.........

Hmm...whole March is enticing. I'll have to think about it.

Anniegettinghealthier, go luck to you on your journey!

Day 30 for me, and I'm so stinking proud of myself! That is all. Carry on.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25506-leas-30-day-victory/?p=268870

Not sure if that link will work, but I just wrote up my "success story" on that part of the forum. When I started thinking about the past 30 days I had more to say about it than expected.

I plan on staying with the template, because I've had such good results and this program has been pretty easy to follow for me. No counting calories or weighing food. I never want to go back to that again! I feel like I have a completely different relationship with food now...or no relationship, which is saying a lot.

One meal at a time!

Day 27 for me.  Yesterday I had the kind of tummy ache I associate with dairy.  But I hadn't had anything even remotely like dairy, nor even anything that I don't usually have.  So I have no idea what caused it.  Perhaps dehydration?  I found myself slurping water like I'd never had it before the night before, so perhaps that contributed.

In any case, all's well today.  Even better than okay -- tonight I am getting my monthly massage!  That hour on the table keeps my back aligned and my body happy.  Very important for my overall health.  And then I will pick up dinner for me and DH.  Not sure what I'll get for us, though.  He suggested Mexican.  I can probably make the fajitas work.  Really looking forward to adding legumes back to the diet.  Their fiber content helps me out.

ThyPeace, had some decaf coffee this morning.  Wow, that's a cleanout moment...

Day 30 came and went and I reintroduced beans yesterday! Had some stomach pain :( I think I got too excited about the peanut butter and overdid it. Today I'm back to clean eating. I'm excited for dairy in two days but I have a bad feeling that if beans gave me issues, dairy might be truly painful. I should definitely take it slowly. 

Made a batch of Cincinnati Chili and spaghetti squash fritters for lunch, and will grill turkey burgers for dinner :) 

I have a random day off today and it's supposed to be sunny and 70 so naturally I'm heading to the beach with my pups! Have a lovely day everyone!

Lulah, so sorry to hear of the tummy ache!  I read quite a few of the success stories when I read Leeann's -- I hadn't read any, so just read the ones from this week.  It seems as though lots of folks learn that things they never thought would hurt actually do.  That's what reintroduction is for, though, and is something I'm really looking forward to doing.  I'm planning on using the "slow roll" approach, and am also planning to not even bother with certain things. Dairy, for example.  And also sugar.  My next sugar will be on my husband's birthday in March, and then again at Easter.  Other than that, I'm not planning on having any.

Legumes and grains, though, I want to test slowly to see if there are subtle things that I haven't been aware of previously.  I -think- that legumes are good and grains are not so good. But that doesn't tell me about specific ones and whether they are all good or all bad or a mix.

ThyPeace, notes that she learned elimination diets from watching her mom, who is more aware of her reactions to foods than anyone else I've ever met.

I have a random day off today and it's supposed to be sunny and 70 so naturally I'm heading to the beach with my pups! Have a lovely day everyone!

Lulah, you are probably in one of the few places in the States that is going to hit 70 degrees today. I'm jealous! 

ThyPeace, slow reintroduction sounds great. Unfortunately, I jumped in with both feet today thanks to my kids. I started off good with breakfast, but went grocery shopping, got home in the afternoon to a late lunch - frozen pizza. Yeah, I thought about eating something else but thought, "What the hell."  It was so not worth it. I've felt sluggish and bloated all evening...and really thirsty! Back to the plan tomorrow. 

I did get lots of good stuff at the store, so I'm going to make better choices the rest of the week. 

Oof, frozen pizza.  You have my sympathies!!  I bet that feels miserable.  I hate how almost all "convenience" food isn't actually food.  Ah, well.  Glad you got the other good stuff! 

I need to start making supper soon.  Spent all morning at synagogue and I'm not even Jewish (DD is; it's complicated), and then spent all afternoon working with her on her homework.  She is having a severe ADHD "I don't get it!" day, making it hard to accomplish anything.  But we made it through some things, so I'm happy with that.  We'll try again tomorrow on the rest.

So supper is a bit behind and I'm hungry and more than a little grumpy from having a whining crying screeching kid next to me for two hours.  And the snow, which they thought was going to be 1 to 3 inches, is up to at least six and still falling.  I knew they were off -- the forecast models in this area don't take frozen ground into account very well, and it's been bitterly cold here all week.  So sure, there's warm air somewhere, but it's taking a long time to get here.  Once it starts to rain it's not going to be better.  Ice is even worse than 6 inches of snow or whatever's out there right now.

So.  I'm cold, grumpy, need to shovel, and hungry.  So I'm going to make butternut squash soup.  And then shovel.

ThyPeace, day 28 today.  Notes that smoked brisket with yellow mustard is pretty good, but a little dull.

ThyPeace, you have my sympathies. We are just thawing out from six inches last Monday that got school cancelled all week because our backroads are impassable. We were coming off of a long weekend break anyway, so I've spent a total of 9 days cooped up with my dear family.

Today I actually got out and participated in a two hour Zumbathon! I ate well today too. Who is this woman I'm becoming? I don't even recognize her!

Well, it turned it that we were out of stock. So I threw the stock ingredients together and put them in the crockpot, and made a supper of leftovers -- turned part into a frittata and used the rest for meat sauce for me and meat sauce over quinoa for DH. Made DD a grilled turkey and cheese sandwi h with her favorite tomato soup, and then she refused to eat. Eventually the pieces came together for me when she said she was cold. Felt the forehead, took the temperature, discovered she had a 101.5 fever. Ah ha. That explains a lot. She insists she's not sick. I say she doesn't have to be so I, but she sure got to go to bed early.

And now it's time for me to go to bed early too.

ThyPeace, needs sleep and cuddling with DH.

... And then DD got up again at 10:30 with her face bright red and temperature even higher.  That time she got the medicine even though she still said she wasn't sick, along a bunch of orange juice.  And that stock I'd started made the basis for a fine bowl of broth-and-noodles.  Not quite the same as chicken noodle soup, but a start.  She slept for two hours before she woke up again, at which point I ended up lying down with her.  I hate sleeping in twin beds.  Especially when there are two of us in it!  But she slept, and I slept, and DH slept.  And that makes all of us happier today.  Except DH and I never did get that cuddle.  Sigh.

Today we've shoveled, DH has gone out to the store, and I have spent three hours working on homework with DD.  She hasn't finished, but I have declared a stop anyway.  We have a rule that says we limit the time even if not everything gets done.  Harder for me to follow that rule than DD, but it sure does help.

There is the problem of lack of food.  I've had a tablespoon of almond butter, an egg, a couple of ounces of turkey, and a banana today.  I'm hungry.

ThyPeace, because we're out of food and I've been working this whole time. 

ThyPeace, I'm sorry, it sounds like you had a very exhausting weekend. I don't know how I'd handle those icy conditions. :blink: 

I am out of food as well! Desperately need to go to the market after work tomorrow. 

Today I drank a latte as my dairy reintroduction and it was awful. So not worth the stomach ache. I never realized how it affected me! But it makes sense. Why would I think that consuming another species' "baby food" would be a good idea? It certainly doesn't seem natural. So I'm going to really try to cut out most dairy. I will only miss yogurt. And feta. I think it is most definitely worth it. 

Has anyone made an exceptionally delicious W30 meal or discovered a good ingredient combination lately? Need some inspiration. 

Archived