Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

I'm over they pity party.  I tried light coconut milk in my coffee this morning and it was great!  It knocked the bitterness out of the coffee so I can drink it and actually like it.

I made homemade sausage this morning.  It was hot!  I'm going to make an egg, saute'd veggie and sausage casserole so I'll have breakfast pre-made for the week.

I'm also going to try an experiment for balsamic vinegarette.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it up everyone! we can do this!! Day 7 for me and start of week 2 tomorrow. Did all my grocery shopping early (9:30 am for me) and it was great. So many less people than the afternoon. Hit up Trader Joes, Costco, and Fred Meyer. Today I am making chicken soup, Pico de gallo, and chimichuri all from scratch to have throughout the week. The hubby approved meal plan for this week is as follows:

Sunday: steak with chimichuri and balsamic roasted Brussel sprouts

Monday: meatballs and marinara with spaghetti squash

Tuesday: Taco Salad with homemade Pico de gallo

Wednesday: Baked salmon, asparagus, and salad

Thursday: Leftovers

Friday: Almond crusted chicken tenders and her roasted potatoes

I find breakfast and lunch for me are easy if I don't think about it too much. Hard boiled eggs, Applegate lunch meat, chicken sausages from trader joes, peppers and cucumbers etc. Quick things I don't have to worry about heating up.

Good luck to everyone this week!

• Administrators

Are you keeping a food log in our logging section that I can peek at?

What and where is this food log?  How do I use it?

Hi Tina, were you asking me if I keep a food log? If so, no I don't although I think it might be helpful for others to see. Our food logging section is linked below, it's basically just a place that you can log what you eat. It isn't necessarily moderated (ie, you can't count on a moderator coming in to comment) unless you ask for assistance.

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

Next week our menu looks like this (same breakfast for a week and leftovers of the previous night for lunches):

Sunday: SBJ burgers from Well Fed, raw snow peas, garlic roasted baby potatoes

Monday: Jerk Chicken "casserole" from Well Fed *basically her Pina Colada Chicken recipe plus a whole bunch extra veggies stirred in

Tuesday: Fish en papillpote, green beans w/ kalamata vinagarette, cumin and orange carrots (all three from Zenbelly cookbook)

Wednesday: Meatza Pie from Well Fed (but done with pork, sunshine sauce, green beans and snow peas) roasted brocoli

Thursday: I don't cook this day, leftovers

Friday: I don't cook this day

Breakfast: turkey chili topped with an egg

My "Chef's Night Off" is every Thursday and Friday in order to preserve my sanity because we actually eat this way all the time. Not to say I won't make SOMETHING but hubby is responsible for himself and I usually make leftovers or Tom Kha Gai soup or omelettes or a veggie hash with eggs, nothing formal.

Ending day 5 here and fighting the craving for the gingerbread I just made my family. Drinking peppermint tea instead. I'm so jealous of all of you that have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods around. I have to drive an hour to get to an overpriced version of those stores. I'm pretty much stuck with Walmart, so my food choices are limited, but I'm making the best of it. Here's to another great week!

Hi Lulah,

The sausage doesn't have to be high fat (although that is not necessarily a bad thing). You can make your own patties with ground pork and spices (I use the Italian Sausage Seasoning from Clothes Make the Girl). Form them into patties and freeze them between sheets of parchment. They cook in a frying pan perfectly from frozen!

As far as breakfast goes, you can have whatever you want, leftovers from last night, soup, chicken salad in lettuce leaves, chili. Whatever. The world is your breakfast! I don't think I'd be very happy with 2 eggs and spinach either. Further, a serving of eggs, if they are your only protein, is as many as you can hold in your hand...for even the smallest women that is at least three, probably more.

Ladyshanny, thank you! I looked everywhere for compliant prepared sausage, but to no avail... as I somewhat expected. It seems painfully obvious now that I should be using ground pork. Thanks for cluing me in  ;)  

Day 6 was great! I decided that the best way to avoid the temptation of my family's food choices would be to cook for them!

So, tonight, I invited them to join me in dinner and made a whole30 take on fajitas:

Steak strips seasoned with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and sauteed with garlic and chopped jalapeno; sautéed sliced onion and red/orange bell peppers; all on a bed of shredded cabbage and carrot; served with lime and guacamole and jicama "chips."

Yeah, it was delicious. And really filling. Sadly, no leftovers   :P

Although I've experienced some unpleasant mood changes and had sinking energy levels in the afternoons/evenings, I have already noticed that I feel less bloated. But the thing that is really keeping me on track with whole30 is that I finally don't feel remorse after eating. When I'm about to check out at the market, I look at the fresh and colorful produce in my shopping cart and feel proud! I love that. 

My meals are prepped, so bring on day 7. 

Hey. Start of week two (Day 8) for me. Feeling good and other than wanting some of the popcorn the kids were having last night it has not been difficult to stick with it. Still need to get more creative with my food prep.

Shellieb: That menu for the week looks pretty tasty!

Have a good one,

David

A good start to week 2 although work was a little crazy so I didn't get to eat my meals as planned. I am finding that making the time to cook allows me to decompress after work as well. Even if it's only for a few hours before I log back in. I'm a finding a much welcome raise in energy over the past few days as well.

How much fruit are you all eating each day?

Tina, initially I was eating apples, oranges, or bananas daily. But after hearing from other people, I decided to minimize my fruit intake to one or two servings per week, with the exception of avocado. 

I eat at least two pieces of fruit each day, sometimes three or four.  One with breakfast, one or two with lunch (one of those may end up as an afternoon snack with some almonds), and one at supper.  I come from a family that eats a LOT of fruit, so for me this is actually something of a reduction.

ThyPeace, back when ten dollars was a lot of money, we spent that much on fruit every single day of the summer.  It was enough money to fill a paper grocery bag with fruit.

Hi all - Sorry for my absence!  I got sick on Friday, which turned nasty, and have broken my Whole30 - with cough syrup.  It's almost sort of funny that I managed to stay fully Whole30 during this whole illness, but will probably have to restart since I had 2 tbsp of what I can only assume is high fructose corn syrup every 4 hours over the past 4 days.  *sigh*

I guess maybe I'll just extend?  I am proud of staying fully compliant food wise despite feeling so yucky.  I can tell that the sugar dragon is still alive and well however!  What would you all do?  Restart?  Push on and extend?

• Administrators

Hi Tina, I have (had?) a pretty aggressive sugar dragon and doing this Whole30 without any fruit or nuts has helped immensely in beating it down. Sometimes I find even the japanese sweet potatoes are too sweet and get me seeking sugar.

Hi, on Day 9 now. Had some food cravings yesterday but not too serious. My sister in law is visiting and saw my breakfast today, a plate full of scrambled eggs, butternut squash and spinich and said "now that's a breakfast!" :) . Made me laugh.

Tina: I usually eat 1 serving of fruit per day.

Mimahirn: Since I'm 8 days in i'm kinda sorta an expert on this now....    Here is my $.02: The way I look at Whole30 is it is an experience and journey of eating whole foods and to see how your body feels and reacts. Since we are only a few days in I wouldn't sweat the cough syrup and add a few more days on to the end. I'm thinking of going 45 or 60.

David

• Administrators

Is anyone finding that they are not hungry? I am findING hard to eat meal 1 in the morning as I am just nit feeling hungry. Is it ok to skip and just go to meal 2 when I am ready? Finding this incredibly refreshing as prior to whole30 I always wanted to eat.

Hey Shellieb, unfortunately this is not at all recommended.  Not desiring food within an hour of waking is a huge indicator that your hormones are out of balance.  We recommend that you create a template meal and eat as much as you can from it within 60 minutes of waking.  Then pack up the rest and take it with you to eat from as soon as you are able to.  Keep doing this until you can get a proper template meal in you.  

This is actually extremely common, btw, and has been discussed on the forum at length.  Google "Whole30 not hungry in the morning" and you'll get lots of results!

Hey Shellieb, unfortunately this is not at all recommended.  Not desiring food within an hour of waking is a huge indicator that your hormones are out of balance.  We recommend that you create a template meal and eat as much as you can from it within 60 minutes of waking.  Then pack up the rest and take it with you to eat from as soon as you are able to.  Keep doing this until you can get a proper template meal in you.  

This is actually extremely common, btw, and has been discussed on the forum at length.  Google "Whole30 not hungry in the morning" and you'll get lots of results!

Shellieb, I had this problem as well the first week! Until just last month, I never ate breakfast. So the first week of Whole30, breakfast was basically force feeding because I knew I shouldn't skip it after I finally figured out that there's a reason people call it "the most important meal of the day." ^_^ 

But something must be changing because the past few mornings I woke up hungry! I attribute it to how much I've cut back on snacking, and only eating during my 3 meals each day. I eat dinner around 5 or 6 then come home from work around 11 so am hungry again and this is where I would fall into the snack trap. Not snacking has definitely been the most difficult challenge for me thus far, so I'm hoping that the W30 will help diminish my cravings for snacks. 

• Administrators

I eat dinner around 5 or 6 then come home from work around 11 so am hungry again and this is where I would fall into the snack trap. Not snacking has definitely been the most difficult challenge for me thus far, so I'm hoping that the W30 will help diminish my cravings for snacks. 

Hey Lulah, just to be clear, if you are legitimately hungry (like you would eat something bland like steamed fish and brocoli), eat!  A mini meal containing at least protein and fat, ideally also veggies.  Dinner at 6pm and still in the full throws of your day at 11pm sounds to me like a perfect cause for a mini meal before you go to bed if you need it.

I am hardly ever hungry in the morning.  So I guess I fall into the same camp as everyone else here, and sort of have to force feed myself.  This is really a sign that hormones are still out of whack?  I need to re-read my book I think!  It's been a while, and my science-y brain is motivated by info bits like that.  Snacky (and mindlessly snacking) have always been a challenge for me.  I think getting the template right will be really helpful in the long run. 

David - thank you for the feedback.  I really want to slay the sugar dragon, so I'll be sticking with you for a Whole 45.  I don't feel like I failed because I had cough syrup, but I do want to make sure that I get the full benefit of the program, so I'll be with you for at least that long!  I actually feel pretty good that even though I was super sick, I stuck with the template. 

Oh, and here's my food plan for the day:

1:  cauli rice, sausage 3 eggs, avocado half, hand full of blackberries, coffee

2:  left over shepherd's pie, apple, veggies and home made mayo ranch dip

3:  pot roast, sweet potato, carrots and celery

Hey Lulah, just to be clear, if you are legitimately hungry (like you would eat something bland like steamed fish and brocoli), eat!  A mini meal containing at least protein and fat, ideally also veggies.  Dinner at 6pm and still in the full throws of your day at 11pm sounds to me like a perfect cause for a mini meal before you go to bed if you need it.

Ladyshanny, I will certainly keep that in mind! Thank you 

• Administrators

This is really a sign that hormones are still out of whack?  I need to re-read my book I think!  It's been a while, and my science-y brain is motivated by info bits like that.  Snacky (and mindlessly snacking) have always been a challenge for me.  I think getting the template right will be really helpful in the long run. 

Properly in balance, cortisol is highest in the morning and gradually decreases throughout the day until it's bedtime.  Eating first thing in the morning (among other things) triggers your cortisol to spike early in the day.

Here's Tom explaining it better than I can: Gradual changes can make the process of resetting your hormones into their natural rhythm slower. Eating a full breakfast within an hour of waking is the fastest way to accomplish the goal of getting your cortisol high in the morning and low at night. Basically, breakfast is an announcement to your system that it is time to be hungry whether you feel hungry or not. Once your hormones get into rhythm, you will find yourself feeling hungry earlier in the day and sleeping better at night.

I can start breakfast not feeling hungry and find my appetite rising as I eat, but that is not how it works for everybody. 

Hormonal changes happen faster for some people than others.  

Here's another thread discussing the same stuff: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16145-not-hungry-in-the-morning/

Oh, and here's my food plan for the day:

1:  cauli rice, sausage 3 eggs, avocado half, hand full of blackberries, coffee

2:  left over shepherd's pie, apple, veggies and home made mayo ranch dip

3:  pot roast, sweet potato, carrots and celery

Mimahirn, your meals always sound delish. I keep writing them down for inspiration. For the cauli rice, do you just steam the cauliflower and then "rice it" into small pieces? 

Archived